Speaker 1: Good morning it is monday september 26 2022. And this is D. C. Signal to noise since we last talked harvest in the middle of the country had its most active week. House republicans want to know more about USDA spending plans us equities reflected increasing concerns about recession here in the U. S. And around the globe. The Yankees Aaron Judge sits on 60 home runs with just three games left and NASA this morning launched a double asteroid redirection test or dart. It's gonna slam a spacecraft into an asteroid to see if they can change the direction of the asteroid. And you know, Jim we talk about unintended consequences of a government action all the time. There had better not be any unintended consequences of this little dark test.
Speaker 2: No, you think we I got pretty good faith in our Nasa people still. Uh but you know the reason they're doing this is if we did have one in the future it could take out about half the continent. So I think it's a test worth taking.
Speaker 1: Yeah well it also makes me wonder if they're taking the test if they haven't already identified the asteroid that
Speaker 2: probably
Speaker 1: that is that is taking aim at the at the Earth. I'm not.
Speaker 2: That's
Speaker 1: exactly right. Good morning Jim that's pro farmer policy analyst Jim Meyer, I am Agritalk host chip Flory glad that you are with us.
Speaker 2: I do want to update you. I think you said only three games left. I think there's nine games left. What? Seriously?
Speaker 1: Oh well it's not nearly as C. That shows you how much this cub span is paying attention this late in the season. Not much at all. Not much at all. All right, good morning to you all. We're gonna get to uh Okay, well melodies coming with a question right off the bat that I think I can that I can answer right away because the question is what is the difference in how U. S. D. A. And pro farmer calculate their projections huge differences, huge differences. Number one USDA does a survey of GE's 45 55,000 farmers for every uh crop production report. It may even be more than that, but that I think is is uh something like the responses that they get. So that right there is a huge difference. The other thing is is they've got a very uh random driven process and selecting their objective yield plots. We have a random process as well. But the difference is they go back to that same spot in september october november. If the crop is still standing and then once the crop is harvested they'll go back and get down on their hands and knees and find how much corn, how many soybeans are left in the field in that plot area. So in other words, they measure the biological yield while it is standing, take the harvest lost off of it to give you the actual harvest yield. Pro farmers way of doing it is down the road every 15-20 miles. We stop we pull without getting into too much detail. We pull about 1700 corn samples, 1700 soybean samples. And then we've got two different yield calculations that use the same data sets. One accounts for the size of the kernel around the size of the kernel based on the number of rows around the year which is always too low and the other one does not make that adjustment which is normally too high. You take the average of the
Speaker 2: two
Speaker 1: and it usually gets us pretty doggone close to what the average is. So. Yeah. Good question. Melody. That's a way to get my engine up and running right away on a monday morning. Get that question out of the way. We will we will uh uh take on some of these other questions as we go. But
Speaker 2: yeah I'll add a cotton thing. I got another cotton three analysts that I talked with over the weekend chip And it's in my updates on pro farmer dot com. But long answer short that when you look at the failed acreage in the sort of Data through the 578 it appears that NASA is too high on harvested acres by about 500,000 acres. So we're gonna see is something to watch.
Speaker 1: Okay we're gonna go to this question from carl right away to jim because this is one of my favorite subjects. Again the question on environmental social and governance. E. S. G. Does the Security Exchange Commission plan to require corporations to report in E. S. G. Score have any legs if this were imposed. Farmers doing business with publicly traded companies would have to quantify and report things like greenhouse gas emissions. Everything's from bovine flatulence to carbon released through silage and excuse me through tillage. Yeah. Absolutely. It would. I don't know if it's got any legs and boy, when you take a look at what the N. P. P. C. The National Cattlemen's beef Association, the U. S. Cattleman's Association, National corn growers, american soybean growers, They are all uh taking up efforts to prevent this from happening
Speaker 2: And house leadership, especially if they get back into power after November eight elections is telling corporations uh be careful how close you go on this one ship. So it's a concern, but I think the legs are being knocked out from under it.
Speaker 1: Right. Right. All right. Uh Gary's got an update on one. I don't know if we can check this or not real quick jim. But uh an issue that we've been talking about continue to monitor uh He says a couple of updates. First Rail Union Aerospace voted
Speaker 2: no,
Speaker 1: we'll have to
Speaker 2: check on that because you were going to go into october before we see the final results and I'd have to see whether or not they can go back and and and and you know, and voted again again. Gary? But you know, we'll check on it
Speaker 1: right and trade trade and movement is opening up between Canada and the U. S. And it looks like the border restrictions are coming off.
Speaker 2: Well you're seeing that around the world now Japan is trying to get more tourist etcetera. So yes I think that's a good sign.
Speaker 1: Right. Right. Alright. Gary. We'll get into the school lunch costs because that is on the topic for today wow jim. I don't know if we've ever launched into a signal to noise quite like that before or not. But here we go. Let's take a look at some of the things that happened last week. This is one that I think is flying under the radar a little bit but I think it's very important and that is chinese soybean meal prices are trading at a record high right now and it's because they're running out of beans. They're trying to say that that the crush margins were lost because there wasn't as much demand coming from the from the livestock markets. If there isn't any demand from the livestock markets, how are we trading meal at record highs Of course there is demand from livestock. The problem is they haven't wanted to pay the high prices and lock in. They use prices for too long of a period of time and now they're starting to pay the consequences.
Speaker 2: Absolutely chip spot on. And also remember Bloomberg had that report late last week I think friday that they purchased a lot of argentine soybeans so much in just a few weeks that they did in the entire prior year. So and they're they're getting out out of their strategic uh pork stocks too. So all indications are um they're they're going to be a big purchaser of pork beef in the months ahead. And also you know, soybeans
Speaker 1: right? Yeah. As long as unless they keep shutting the country down with their covid
Speaker 2: restrictions, that would be
Speaker 1: exactly. And that's why some people are thinking that the covid restrictions and the covid shutdowns are their way of limiting food use in some of these regions. That's a scary scary situation. Uh I don't want to let this one get away from us either because E. P. A. Withdrew the interim decision on glyphosate Uh which is of course the active ingredient in roundup. We can use it. We're gonna be able to continue to use it and they're not gonna complete the registration review now until 2026.
Speaker 2: Four more years. Yeah I got emails and telephone calls friday from some very smart people saying what does this mean? You know the gobbledygook from the government and E. P. A bottom line. You said it you can still use glyphosate.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah catalog feed report was out on friday basically. I don't think it's gonna have a whole lot of impact on price action today. But USDA says it is going to basically implement part of the cattle market price discovery and transparency act by mandating the cattle contract reporting. Jim.
Speaker 2: Yes. And they put a notice out to the ag sector late last week and it didn't take very long to anami the north american uh you know meat association uh to you know, fire back at them now. USDA says they have the authority through the livestock mandatory livestock price reporting. But as I said on a gray talk, I think this is gonna end up in in court. But this this bridges us in chip to the High House Ag committee. Republicans fired off a letter late last week to USDA Secretary Tom Vilsack saying, wait a minute look at all these executive fiats from the White House and U. S. D. A. So you know, they want some answers.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's the bottom line on this on the contract library. I think it's a good thing. I just wanted to happen the right way. Some of the climate smart farming practices that that are proposed and being supported through the C. C. C. Funds. I think they're good things. Um I just don't know if they're being supported and funded the right way. It's almost like they've just decided hey these are good ideas. Doesn't matter what Congress if Congress isn't gonna move on and we're gonna do it ourselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They've seen the mandates are the quickest road to get where they wanna go transparency is usually always the better approach. You're right, Jeff, but it's how you get there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Uh Food prices. Let's talk about that real quick here. Jim USDA raised the outlook for all food prices and grocery stores, grocery store prices in 2022. Food price inflation now forecast to rise 9% to 10%. And food at home Up 10.5-11.5%. That's the most since 1979 and 74 respectively. Food away from home prices still forecast to rise 6.5-7.5%. Well, that's because we've already seen a lot of the increase there. This is something that is real for for a majority of us families jim how are we going to pay for that next meal?
Speaker 2: It's the grocery prices. And if the major media were doing their job, which they aren't in a major way chip, the sunday news program should have had uh Secretary Vilsack on relative to the food price, you know, situation. And the top economist, by the way, uh Again, I hate default USDA, but they have been way behind the curve on these food price forecast. I mean, they continue to increase, do they not shop at supermarkets? You know, they ought to be able to project rather than follow the trend. But uh the White House let's bridge the White House has basically a food security uh confab the first time since the Nixon administration at the White House. Now there were some major policy moves following the Nixon event. Uh, and they're gonna be some pushes, they're gonna use this food additional food
Speaker 1: stamps. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh, big time increases And another thing and they wound up being good type program, spending a lot of money. However, uh, so watch in the months following this, con fab biden's gonna speak at it. Vilsack is gonna speak at it. Uh, this thing will be used as a platform for food policy initiatives.
Speaker 1: Uh Gary hit us with uh, the school lunch or school nutrition programs. School lunch cost breakfast is a dollar, 60 lunches $3 and milk is 45 cents. I, I mean, I remember when it was 30, I I think the lunch was $35.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh, there was no breakfast. And boy you could, you could buy an extra, you know, little pint thing of or half pint thing of milk.
Speaker 2: We got chocolate milk all the time.
Speaker 1: Well, sure, of course. Um, thank you Gary. And by the way, if anyone else would like to participate. Look for the comments tab on your screen and click on that and as you can see, we will try to get to the, your questions or your comments included and included in the conversation here. Uh, jim just before we went on, you mentioned that there was a sustainable aviation fuel roadmap that was talked about on friday. What was that
Speaker 2: Released Friday. And it is an interesting report chip, we know their goals into 2030 and in the future 2050 but this is the road map and I do like transparency on this one chip of where they're, what agencies have to do what in order to get there. So linked to the report, we have a link on pro farmer dot com to the report, but this shows you at least they have a glide path to perhaps get to where they want to be chip in in the, in the future. And you know, you've quoted Vilsack uh you know, periodically as he wants an aggressive use for this for the next few years and of course it has a big impact because of the oil seed oil seed plantings and ethanol. You can use ethanol for this. But that's
Speaker 1: right. And we are finding out as some, some latest technology that I just started to read about over the weekend, they're making it out of C. 02.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's the innovation of America that I love. So once they see a potential money, uh then you'll get the technology to follow,
Speaker 1: yep, I don't know if we're gonna get there on the batteries or not, but that's a that's a debate for another time. There's more and more people that are coming over to my side that it just ain't gonna work.
Speaker 2: Uh it'll work
Speaker 1: okay, one last thing from last week. Talk to me about the election results in Italy
Speaker 2: we have the first so called fascist since Mussolini. And I mean, she's a character. Uh she some people call her not that trump is a fascist trump with skirt. I mean, she's pretty aggressive now and she did win in her party. Uh It's a major change now. The EU officials even last week knew what was coming and they issued a warning to her that you cannot go against the EU principles. So they're a little concerned which way that she'll go. But she's already created some uh social issues chip relative to the LGBT community and uh other aspects. Very controversial.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Ok. Yeah. Ok. If you want to know how to ruin a saturday, there's a couple of ways to do it. Number one big 12 refs and a big 12 football game. That will ruin a saturday. Uh turnovers. Just disaster. Disaster turnovers. That will ruin your saturday. A text from Jim Wiesemeyer saying ignore these rumors of a coup in china,
Speaker 2: I
Speaker 1: ruined a saturday.
Speaker 2: I had ruined mine because I had some big traders, Okay, not big in size. I mean, important. And they've been around a while saying, is there any truth to this? I said, where are you getting this stuff? And then I I checked with one of the better china watchers, Jeff, Bill Bishop and he said it was from a service that doesn't have a track, a good track record at all. And I and we got his bottom line and it was Bs
Speaker 1: Bs
Speaker 2: Bs. That's all I needed. That as we call smart brevity.
Speaker 1: Very good. But
Speaker 2: you know, you always gotta check these out. But it's it's because she has not been seen for a few days pulling into a big, big important meeting in october chip. This is not unusual. We've seen the same thing with in north Korea.
Speaker 1: The other comment from Bill was uh, maybe too much wishful thinking on the part of some
Speaker 2: people.
Speaker 1: So there is, I mean nobody's gonna, well I shouldn't say nobody would encourage a coup, but if it starts to happen, who's gonna slow it down?
Speaker 2: That's true. That is true. And said the protest, you can see we're paid chip to connect dots all the time as reporters and analysts and look at the protest in Russia And in Iran and uh, probably protest in China relative to their lockdown. So there's this theme here. But I mean it's getting big in both Iran and Russia where they've thrown at least 2000 people in jail in Russia already. And that's probably a very understated
Speaker 1: total. Okay. Um, it looks let's stay on Russia because it looks like the Kremlin is going to attempt to complete an annexation of four areas that Russian troops have occupied in Ukraine and they may try to make it happen this week.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, they'll try. Of course that was by the gun. You know at that gun, will you sign this document so you know what do you do? But a lot of Ukrainians aren't even in the areas chip but it's a sham. Uh most of the world is saying they won't certify it things like that but it's it's 101 in in Putin's playbook Jeff.
Speaker 1: Right. Right okay. Uh the U. S. Dollar gym in the overnight session traded as high as 1 14 53. I don't know when that's when we've been higher but it's it's going to go back to 2000 probably.
Speaker 2: Well yeah and there's a lack of coordination right now but I'm telling you uh look what china is trying to do is some things with the yuan or the remedy uh as I said before, the british pound is being pounded because they don't like that the U. K. With their recent announcements to to instill their economy has had is having to borrow so much money but you, its currency is big play right now. And remember when you were editor of Pro Farmer Ship, I believe it was on page two, you had a whole section on outside markets.
Speaker 1: We're
Speaker 2: back to that time right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah it it absolutely matters. Um here comes hurricane Ian getting ready to slam into the gulf coast and don't look now Mr biden. But your gas prices are working their way back to the upside
Speaker 2: hurricane
Speaker 1: in is part of the reason
Speaker 2: that's part of it. Uh you've got europe starting with the cooler temperatures chip. So that's all sooner than expected. So yeah, we're going even though that the uh Brent the international global mark and the W. T. I. Uh for us crude uh was down again today chip. So, but this thing could change on a dime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, certainly can. And and you know, the european situation is something that we're gonna keep a very close eye on uh energy markets. A actually W. T. I. Has has now turned higher. It's trained about 50 50 cents higher, but it's still just under 80 bucks. So that's uh that's a big difference. Okay, let's get to the week ahead, wow, we gotta keep moving here, dude, because number one thing on the priority list has got to be the continuing resolution, right?
Speaker 2: Yes. And through all the huffs and puffs as I wrote, uh it's the democrats this time. House democrats who don't like this permitting process that centers sometimes centrist senator joe Manchin is pushing okay. But I think they'll come to an agreement by the end of the week. Jip, the curious one, let's say I'm correct. Okay, let's go on from there. What's going to be added to this? It doesn't look like much many uh disaster aid funding maybe for New England, uh maybe for Pakistan, you know, you know, you know, situations like that, but that's gonna be punted until december after the elections act. Disaster funding is coming just not in this continuing resolution aid for Ukraine will definitely be part of this
Speaker 1: Chip. But mansions getting double crossed on this deal, isn't he?
Speaker 2: Well, he should have known. I think that's why I said he's sometimes centrist, He was feeling the heat on, you know, getting that the the so called inflation uh reduction act through. So he came up with this one ship, but I think that they'll eventually find the republican votes for the permitting as well because it it takes 60 votes in the Senate. I think he'll he'll find enough.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I started hearing it this morning actually over the weekend a little bit. Some of the middle of the country. Lawmakers saying, you know, if the federal government shuts down, I don't think people in my state would even notice. We're gonna, here, we're gonna hear that talk and we're gonna hear it a lot this week. Trust me, they will notice.
Speaker 2: They will notice. Yes, we've been through this before and it costs money and the government workers are repaid for any loss thing. Do we not ever learn from mistakes anymore? You know, other things this week, Chip, it looks like Doug mccallum has hit a snag, he's the proposal for chief ag negotiate at the USTR Chip. It was supposed to be this week, but a democratic senator has put a hold on this because he wants us to er to be more transparent in their negotiations on trade issues. So we have that to you know, look at chip.
Speaker 1: Uh what is in the continuing resolution back to that if we can this F. D. A user fee? You you you mentioned it I think just last week.
Speaker 2: And what
Speaker 1: exactly is it?
Speaker 2: Well it's the it's so they can do some user fees that even republican enough republicans are gonna go along with, otherwise they're gonna have to shut down a big portion of F. D. A. They need that funding chip. So it's very important in the in the food safety industry and it will be part of the stopgap spending bill.
Speaker 1: Okay. And there's going to be more money in the cr for Ukraine
Speaker 2: for Ukraine. Yeah, depend it's anywhere from just billions of dollars more. But you know, increasingly that's where if the republicans get control of the House, I'm not quite sure it's going to be quote as easy to get that funding as we've seen.
Speaker 1: Yeah I know we we keep saying that it's a proxy war jim. And and I and I believe that I absolutely believe it but if it is let go win it end this thing, go win it right
Speaker 2: now. I agree and I'm not a warmonger but
Speaker 1: right. No you don't have to be a warmonger to say go win it. A warmonger is there before the whole thing
Speaker 2: starts. Okay.
Speaker 1: And they encourage it and get and grease the skids to make the war happen. Uh Let's just let's just this thing
Speaker 2: this is why biden is correct on this one ship when he calls it's Putin's war not Russia's war continues to miscalculate on it and it's just it's getting to the serious time and he's he's he's into a corner right now and now he's uh more more soldiers from his country even though it's coming from uh certain areas that is uh you know raising questions about who is who who is part of this 300,000 you know build up but he keeps you know miscalculating and that's it's always a concern Jeff.
Speaker 1: Yeah he's more dangerous right now than what he was when the invasion started
Speaker 2: definitely definitely. And it's going to impact the Ukraine grain going out when that ends in november. He's going to rewrite the rules on that one. So that'll be in the wheat market. I'm telling you that that will be a grain grain market factor.
Speaker 1: Oh
Speaker 2: on friday this week we got a big economic reports with the Fed's preferred inflation gauge coming out the P. C. E. And then of course at U. S. D. A. We have the small grain summary and the grain stocks report and the grain stocks report can usually be a wildcard. Right?
Speaker 1: Right. Oh absolutely absolutely. Even though we just got an update on what U. S. D. A. World egg outlook board thinks the carryover is going to be just a couple of weeks ago. Um now now when we zero in on what the 2021 22 ending stocks will be for corn and soybeans and don't forget on thursday we also get the quarterly hogs and pigs report.
Speaker 2: Yes I forgot that. Absolutely. And you know before we coach up I do want to point out a really interesting report in the Wall Street Journal basically their headline was running out of land in in spacious us and what they meant was easily usable land to build new homes and that's apparently too due to regulation some some other factors that builders are finding it increasingly hard and and more than a few are looking at farmland to turn that over to a housing market. So that's one I would behoove you to read that. It's it's a it's a well researched report.
Speaker 1: Okay very good. And the sixth annual five day national clean energy week kicks off in Washington D. C. Should be a good week for ethanol,
Speaker 2: it should be a potpourri of speakers are at it. So we're gonna have a lot of energy and food news this week and that that speaks of agriculture right there.
Speaker 1: Alright alright we talked about it last week. You want to see judge get the record don't you?
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely yeah I watch I watch all the Yankees now I know the Yankees players you know so I watch him every game and I was watching friday night because I have apple tv plus and he didn't hit it but Pujols hit two. Yeah next 90
Speaker 1: nine and 700.
Speaker 2: Yeah I was just so happy for him. Yeah,
Speaker 1: absolutely. That was cool to see. That was really cool to see. And you know when I watched the Yankees I can actually watch one of my favorite cubs. Rizzo.
Speaker 2: Absolute. And he's done pretty good for him. What? 30 homers?
Speaker 1: Well yeah, he's one of the reasons that they're in the position that they're in and yeah it's a lot of fun. Alright today on Agri Talk this morning we got machinery pete lined up ready to go this afternoon. We've got Mark Holbrook from the Andersons, that's this afternoon at 206 central time. Jim have a great week. You all have a great week. Keep watching for those signals.