Speaker 1: well, welcome back to Agritalk. Everyone we are live on a Tuesday morning. Thanks for tuning in on your favorite agricultural radio station or your preferred digital device, your pal, Davis Michaelson in for chip Flory all week this week. Glad to be here behind the big green leafy microphone of Agritalk. We've got to separate the signals from the noise in this crazy mixed up world that we all have to live in. Jim Weiss. Meyer is here Washington policy analyst to help us do that. Good morning here. Vice Mayer, how is everything
Speaker 2: very good. After a long holiday weekend that I just simply relaxed. But You know, the signal to noise, it's usually 90% noise. So we, it, it's getting hard to separate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. Well, when, when you get, when you get money waters, it's hard to fish, isn't
Speaker 2: it?
Speaker 1: Um, let's, let's start with the tragic news of the shootings in Chicago. Now, this comes on the heels of a number even before, uh, the, uh, the parade incident. Um, and as I understand, they've got a guy in custody, right. Have we gotten any further
Speaker 2: alleged
Speaker 1: alleged, okay. Um, but even before that, you know, and I guess we see it every summer time. I'm looking at Chicago specifically. I imagine it's around the rest of the nation as well. Gun violence, certainly on the rise as, as the mercury rises. Um, there's, there has been some legislation, some gun control kind of stuff coming out of Washington. I don't know that this incident necessarily changes any of that or, or maybe there's a, there's an approach coming forward that, that I'm unaware of. Can you give us an update on gun control stuff?
Speaker 2: Well, they did pass a major, you know, bipartisan approach now. It's, it's not gonna do much, but at least that's the step many people think in the right direction, it's going to take time, you know, Davis. But I think added to this in the legislation dealt in part, this is dealing with mental illness and that's going to take a while and that was amplified due to the pandemic that we went through that that's a fundamental change. I think in what's happening across the nation.
Speaker 1: Did I see 306 mass shootings so far this year in the United States. Does that sound right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's
Speaker 1: an awful lot. It seems to indicate a problem.
Speaker 2: 306 too many
Speaker 1: yes, agreed agreed. Well, our thoughts and prayers go out to the families those injured and you know, sadly it it wound up shutting down all sorts of celebrations around that area there and, and that's just another casualty of an event like this. You hate to see that as well. But an abundance of caution does seem to serve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we're going to get better and better at monitoring the uh, social web the right way by, by, you know, going on keywords kill and things like that because apparently this individual did put some things out. So I think we're gonna get, uh, an improvement in the years they had on that front to avoid. To avoid. Yeah,
Speaker 1: sure, sure. I sure hope you're right. Um, move us over to Ukraine $750 billion dollars to rebuild once the conflict is over is what I saw this morning. Um, the meanwhile the Russian incursion just continues to roll forward up to uh, roughly 20% of Ukraine now under Russian control. Um, we keep pouring money into Ukraine. Is that the right way to go?
Speaker 2: Well, it's it's first starting, you know, Ukraine said that you indicate it needs 60-65 billion just this year to meet its funding requirements. So, And 750 billion over the next decade. There's some push to use some of the Russian uh, products companies, etcetera to help offset that. But there are a lot of legislative hurdles on that one. But we're far away from reconstructing, you know, Davis that we have to end, we have to end the war first and uh, the best people I know say that's gonna be years in the making.
Speaker 1: Um, meanwhile, you had the G7 leaders, the group of seven um, seem to have come to an agreement on at least a plan to cap the price of Russian oil. Can you help me get my head around what they're thinking there
Speaker 2: well, and, and if that's the case, as I pointed out this morning, there are ways you can do it. However, uh, not talked about too much is what would Putin's reaction be because he could really, uh, stop the flow of oil, not completely, but significantly. And that would dramatically raise the price of oil. So I think he's got the leverage here right now because of the policy, energy policy actions taken by a host of countries including Germany and the United States. So I think the more they look into this, uh, you know, sanctions capping prices paid for Russian oil, uh, they better not try to second guess Putin because he's shown he takes the extreme, you know, maneuvers and you can see he's got his bravado back, uh, as it more than appears Russia has the upper hand right now, uh, at least, uh, lately the last few weeks in
Speaker 1: Ukraine. And, and educate me just a little bit, we don't send a whole lot of us oil to china, do we? I mean, Putin's got that whole market almost, well, maybe not to himself, but he's certainly got a willing willing participant in the market in china.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and you saw Iran over over the weekend, lowered their price to compete With the cheaper Russian crude. I mean, they, they, they priced it at nearly $10 a barrel below Brent futures. And that puts it on par with the Russian cargoes scheduled to arrive in in china during august, you know, traders, you know, said so, uh, that shows the, the global politics going on in the energy market, not limited to western countries uh, at
Speaker 1: all. Well, and it it does seem like there's quite the divide forming between those guys and the west. We've been obsessed with this green energy thing, which is great, I get it, whatever. But it's been at the expense of encouraging coal product. We've discouraged coal production, energy production just in general. And now we're seeing energy producers turning whether it's the eu whether it's the us turning back toward coal, I think we're moving in the wrong direction. From the green perspective.
Speaker 2: Well, that should because of the short term uh, lack of strategy on the U. S. And and you know, primarily Germany uh, in europe there they've go, the energy starved world is back to turning to cole, uh, and you've got coal prices on the run here and and now it's in chart supply because there's been declining investment in new minds and resources. So we're off to the races and in cold in cold country around the world.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, we just heard from Kirkenes from bam bam WX. That july is gonna seem an awful lot like july. And I thought about it this morning when I got up to turn on, you know, to turn on my air conditioner. I bumped it hire a couple of degrees just because. Gosh, I mean, what what a strain on our own grid, which was already looking a little bit sketchy going into what is shaping up to be a hot july
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the continued days, if you get 100 plus, that usually takes out at least some portions of the grid and test the uh, you know, backstops. I think texas has really looked at their backup system and they better hold up because they're saying that they, you know, they took the action after last year, you know, to, to look at their uh whole uh, you know, flow through on, on the energy sector.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I guess my public service announcement to you beloved listener, maybe just just bump up your air a little, a couple degrees higher, you know, instead of whatever it is, I went from uh 72 I'm up at 75 now. Um you'll get used to it, you'll get used to it. Um and just try to do everything that you can and not only that, but energy prices, what you're paying for energy is much more expensive to keep that air conditioner running this year. Jim
Speaker 2: Yes. Well, and the, the inflation inflation inflation. Now we're starting to see the stories, Wall Street Journal is a big story this morning looking at a host of commodities, including add commodities on, on the, on the trip down and they've significantly been lowered over the last what two weeks or ourselves. So they're beginning to farm the uh the, the story of his inflation peaked and at the time that the White House is pulling out any of their so called stops to lower the price of, you know, gasoline.
Speaker 1: Mhm. Um Meanwhile speaking of gasoline, you have President biden once again leaning into the microphone telling the gasoline stations to lower their prices. And Jeff Bezos steps in and says, look, either you guys really don't understand or you're trying to wreck something here is biden leaning way too far, kowtowing to the progressive far left here.
Speaker 2: As usual. Yes, the answer is yes there. And uh it consistently shows he doesn't understand how markets work. You know, and that's what the Wall Street Journal and and Bezos and and these are
Speaker 1: the leaders of our country, Jim he's
Speaker 2: been a politician all of his life. So he doesn't know risk.
Speaker 1: Huh?
Speaker 2: It doesn't know risk.
Speaker 1: I kind of don't get it, I don't get it. But yeah, I guess it would make sense. You've got a guy like like bas oh said he's done very well from the free market system, from the capitalist system, understand he understands, look, you can't just say, well now the prices should be lower. Do you foresee a move toward more strict price controls from the administration?
Speaker 2: No, I always say, I hope not. I think that I do think that we're going to see we have reached peak inflation. It'll take a few months to show up in the data. So I'm going to say, we won't see dramatic push on on the price controls. Now, all bets are off. If they try this maneuver on Russia, you know, to cap the price then that, that's a new land there then because then he he would take action and you've got, you know, some of the investment analysts are saying sky high
Speaker 1: jim switching gears. Now, tariffs on china, there does seem to be a little bit of disagreement between Catherine trade representative and some other parts of the biden administration. These were the tariffs that president trump introduced here. There's talk, yeah, we should take those off Katherine tai says, yeah, probably shouldn't. Where are we at in that?
Speaker 2: Well, as usual with any government. Uh, it'll probably be way in between uh Davis. I mean by that over the weekend, the Wall Street Journal broke the story that Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen was on a video conference call with a high ranking chinese official and but they didn't put any details on that. I, some say tariffs were discussed. But this is gonna be biden's first major trade policy move. Now, if he lifts some of the tariffs as is widely speculated, uh, it won't take a nanosecond for republicans to say to, to say that he's being soft on china. So they're very sensitive to that. But the latest word is that he could only lift tariffs on, just $10 billion Chinese goods, we have around $370 billion China that have those tariffs on. So uh once again if that's the case, if if it is the announcement, it's a lot about nothing. Uh you know, we discussed on agritalk for many times when this was going on. Uh did the tariffs on china raise us prices for consumers? The solid answer now is yes because you know, chinese exports exporters generally didn't lower prices to keep their goods competitive. So that means U. S. Importers past the duties on and the U. S. Treasury has collected as of june 8th. I side here had collected more than 100 and $40 billion worth of duties on chinese goods. So sometime this week the rumor is that we could get a lifting of some of the tariffs on chinese goods but not all that much. And if that's the case then they're gonna come up with some complex program that additional tariffs could be lifted depending on uh some comment periods and other appeals by us businesses. So I think that's what we're going to get this week.
Speaker 1: So if I'm hearing you, it feels like it could be that this drop in the bucket could grease the skids for a slippery slope. More tariff reductions to come
Speaker 2: see how they how they work out. Yes. I I I think that's the bottom line.
Speaker 1: Mhm. Um You've you mentioned a couple of times you feel like inflation has peaked. Um we've got the Biden administration reportedly considering cutting premiums for federal housing loans would cut payments for some customers 50-70 bucks a month. Is this an indication that that the administration does not believe that inflation is peak?
Speaker 2: Absolutely. They do not because they were wrong at the front end and they're gonna be wrong at the back end. Now again, I'm not saying it's gonna stop tomorrow. Okay. It takes a while, but you're already beginning to see some analysis that I know. Chip and I discussed at the milk conference in las Vegas earlier this year and we pointed out watch the inventory build up of at companies like target walmart to a degree and that's happening right now. And so they're sitting with flooded with excess goods right now for for products that it appears americans may not want at this particular time. So we've got to disconnect the other way Davis and I think this is going to eventually play into some of the inflation stats maybe within three months from now,
Speaker 1: what else is going on inside the beltway that maybe causes you to raise that one eyebrow and go, hmm,
Speaker 2: well included. There was a bill, House lawmakers including republicans are saying keep china out of U. S. Agriculture. So, uh, there's a bill out there. It's called promoting agriculture safeguards and Security Act that's sponsored by uh, some leadership in the Republican Party and it would be in Russia, Iran north Korea as well as china from any merger acquisition or takeover that would result in foreign control of the U. S. Ag company. So that's something to watch. I'm you know lawmakers are out and their staff are out on holiday holiday recess but I'm gonna be tracking this in the weeks ahead.
Speaker 1: I heard um some talk of some smithfield plants, one particular in California closing down. They said it was because the regulations were no good. Is this sort of the kind of thing that you're talking about there?
Speaker 2: Well it would not have allowed uh you know uh you know what was it Chinese 2013 purchase of Smithfield Foods for what? Just under $5 billion wh holdings and at the time that was the largest entry into the U. S. Business world by chinese company and as you know smithfield is the largest U. S. Pork producer.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, interesting. I also see that you wrote chinese real estate developers are accepting wheat, garlic and peaches. It's down payments for properties. Is that an indication that there's some trouble in the real estate market in china? That's digging deep. This is crazy.
Speaker 2: Yes. I tell at one of my conferences I got the question, this was up in in pennsylvania by the way they say Ag stands for always growing. That's the definition of Ag and I love that one when every time I go there they say that. But I got a question, what about china's real estate and was spot on because I said when you look at the numbers, china's problems in real estate are about double what they were when we had the blow off in in U. S. Real estate.
Speaker 1: Davis. They
Speaker 2: have a problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. Um we've got about 30 seconds remaining here. Jim what are you what are you looking ahead? It's a short week coming up but uh probably planning to watch for. Well
Speaker 2: I'm watching for any movement on a reconciliation package by the democrats because that would bring in portions of the Green new deal. I still think that they'll be successful even though most people say it's not gonna happen, watch that it'll have some ag related provisions in it. Davis.
Speaker 1: Well jim you your countenance is very relaxed, very soothing today. I appreciate you spending some time with us. You must have had a very relaxing long holiday weekend.
Speaker 2: Very
Speaker 1: I'm glad to hear that. Jim Wiesemeyer, pro farmer policy analyst. Thanks for for separating the signals from the noise with us today.