Speaker 1: Good morning it is a chili again, monday april 25th 2022. And this is dc signal to noise since we last talked to new studies into the potential impacts of the cattle market, price discovery and transparency act were completed and released. Fighting continued in Ukraine. But there are some reports that Ukrainian farmers have decided to farm on spring crops are being planted in some locations cold and wet gave way to warm and windy than warm and rainy and the forecast for the last full week of april looks more like it should for the first week of the month corn sales to china were confirmed. The Cincinnati reds snapped an 11 game losing streak. The Cubs dropped two games below 500 in the nationals. Well the Nationals are trying to figure out if they can play themselves out of contention in april. Good morning jim how are you? And
Speaker 2: they can and they will
Speaker 1: and they are just what it looks like.
Speaker 2: Not have a good team. I've got my new Warby parker glasses and you know about every four sets of glasses you get one that you really like and this could be it and I'm pretty negative but this could be it.
Speaker 1: Oh goodness. You must really like those.
Speaker 2: I like them. They're big, they're big
Speaker 1: big. Alright, how are you buddy? Anything happening over the weekend?
Speaker 2: Uh Well hopefully I'll get my suv back after the squirrel ate, I got vivid pictures for people if they want to see they chewed through that soy oil Uh wrapping around my wire. So to the tune of $1600.
Speaker 1: Oh good grief good grief. You know there's something you can do about that. I'm just saying
Speaker 2: I can park in the garage but that's my man cave. Thank goodness for state farm insurance and comprehensive insurance.
Speaker 1: Love it, love it. Alright you know I'm going to throw this out there a couple of times during the show or during the conversation today. Jim if you want to participate in the in the conversation we'd love to have you do that. There is a comments tab on your page, click on that. It'll open up a dialog box for you. Type it in there. I'll be watching for it jim we'll be watching for it and even joe our producer will be will be watching for it. Jim I want to go back to something last week that I thought was was was really unique that happened for agriculture and the FBI put out a warning to farmers and elevators to be watching for those cyber attacks. The ransomware attacks. It it I don't recall that happening before.
Speaker 2: Yeah it has happened before but but but they made a big to do more of the to do about it, you know this time. So I don't know whether they suspect more or not. Especially with the war you know in in in in Ukraine and and you know the pariah Putin is trying to stop Ukrainian production so why wouldn't he want to stop ours as well?
Speaker 1: And it does take us right back to what is happening in Ukraine. The U. S. Is offering additional military support. And uh frankly a lot more money to aid Ukraine in the in their efforts to turn Russia back
Speaker 2: and they're getting the type of or will be getting the type of weapons uh you know, chip that could take them into the winning category if they get them on time.
Speaker 1: And that I think has become more and more of the goal, hasn't it? Jim a clear victory for Ukraine.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I think the country with our country waited too late to get going there. I think we tried to dance, we were fearing what Putin maybe do, but that's you know, no, no way to do things like that. So I think that they see nothing is going to stop him pell mill of going into other countries. By the way, that was the message you got from uh our top officials that he's not going to stop you. He will not stop with Ukraine.
Speaker 1: Right. And Blinken was over the weekend, wasn't they
Speaker 2: were both And our defense secretary, yes, it was a so called secret but it was leaking like a sieve last week and I know a lot of reporters probably kept it quiet for you know, security concerns,
Speaker 1: right, Right. Anything in particular that we need to know about, that happened at that meeting.
Speaker 2: Uh we haven't had the full readouts yet. But uh they they made it clear to the Ukrainian leader that he is not going to get more monetary aid but he's going to get some hefty military aid and not just from the United States.
Speaker 1: Okay. Alright. Another foreign happening that I think we need to be keeping really close track of is what's happening in china parts of Beijing or in a lockdown. There's still widespread lockdowns. It's the number of people under Lockdown is, it's like right at 400 million people. Something. It's crazy man.
Speaker 2: Yes. And it got when I was doing the early news and markets chip, you could just feel this is on the financial side. This is going to be an ugly day in the equities because you saw a major downturn in chinese equities because of the, the growing escalation of covid cases. Now, if you expand that to Beijing, we're talking impacts chip and the logistics uh, snafus are going to increase, not decrease. So that brings us into the world logistics area as well. A number of US companies over there including Tesla are saying this could set it back about three months.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And every chance every chance the the chinese people that are in those lockdown situations when they get a chance to get out and get some food. It's a scramble to get it because there's, it looks like the shortages that many of fears are really starting to develop.
Speaker 2: Yeah they are and and they're not equipped with the number of people they have in in these two huge cities shanghai and Beijing to cope with food logistic uh you know, concerns. So again, I I think it's going to get pretty ugly over there. Chip.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Uh to have one global leader or leader of a country that that can have a major impact on global political affairs, kind of backed into a corner and and wondering what Putin's next step is going to be. That's one thing to have to at the same time that are dealing with with with uh domestic issues and and so on. It just it creates a level of tension that I'm not used to.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and you don't want another diversion like what you did in Russia because his numbers were going down and where did he go? He went into Ukraine. This is not a prediction that G is going to go into Taiwan, but boy, she's got this Party Congress coming up in november and it's clear that they're zero covid case. Uh your policy was not the right approach, but he's not going to move until after that party Congress.
Speaker 1: Right. Uh the Rockefeller Foundation over the weekend called for debt relief and emergency aid to the poor nations to avert massive immediate food crisis. The comments from U. S. Territory Secretary Yellen last week about that steps measures need to be taken to avoid that it's it's uh it's it feels like it's a planning for the worst scenario.
Speaker 2: Uh We could have a worst case scenario Chip and again I don't like to say these things that as a as a history student I've been here before and this is increasing not decreasing a little updated news here from the US side Chip USDA came out this morning at eight o'clock central time with the food price forecast update. And once again all all food and grocery store price forecasts were increased a 14 year high in food price inflation. The biggest increases since 2008. Restaurant prices are the only area that was not increased this month. That's the kind of bottom line of the report this morning.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So when you've got your food prices up that much but restaurant prices aren't the health of the restaurant industry in this country is declining. It's not improving right now. There there was that big uptick on the you know let's get everybody back to normal and get people back out needing again. Uh They had that resurgence but the labor issues jim they they they're having a tough time getting over that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know I had a very good friend paul Myers you know him just learned from Hawaii trip with his entire family and he said he could not believe the number of tourists. They it was hard getting in restaurants there.
Speaker 1: So
Speaker 2: the travel at least to Hawaii has really increased.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah and I think there are people that are getting out and about, I've got some friends and family that are, that are in Nashville over the weekend that it it they are getting, these are these places are getting back to normal, which is a great thing but there's still confusion in the air, you know, in air travel on whether or not you gotta have a mask and where, when and how.
Speaker 2: Well I'm gonna find out friday. I go to fourth Myers to an R. C. I. S meeting and then I travel over the weekend to Kansas city to a uh, set up a meeting. So I'm gonna, I'm gonna check it out. I think I have Delta and United and at least both of those airlines have said, you don't have to wear mask. I hope it continues while I travel because I can't wait to travel without a
Speaker 1: mask. Um, last week the biden administration, cabinet officials were out on the road really, uh, uh, promoting the infrastructure spending jim and, and the projects that are being launched that's going to continue for a little while
Speaker 2: that will continue. But you know, consumers are in no mood. Uh, fart tell me how great you are, the type of speeches and that's really what it is. I don't blame the administration for touting it. I think it was one of the few bipartisan my bipartisan victories that they have and goodness knows that our infrastructure needs the investment, not only improvements, but the fixing around the monopoly of things. The rivers are great river systems, road systems, etcetera, but uh, with this inflow inflation, that's the tax and you see it every day, not only at the, at the pump, but in, in, in food stores. And I, when I go to the food store, I'm hearing it big time on the complaints like wow and I'm seeing more pencil pushing with the calculators at the, that, that I've seen in years. So that tells you the impact.
Speaker 1: Right, right. No doubt about it. Okay, let's talk about the rail situation. Um, Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg is uh, is going to be making some comments on the efforts to resolve the, the rail service delays and I'm not exactly sure how this all started jim
Speaker 2: Well, you know, the, you know, surface transportation board STB is, was holding this week to public hearings, uh, you know, on and the biden administration officials including as you said, buddha edge and uh, um jewel bro. Now the USDA deputy Secretary are going to be among the many people going to testify. Also executives from all the major railways chip. So that should prove an interesting two days to get to the bottom hopefully of some of these uh, estimates of how long it's going to return to so called normal service. Uh, the piggyback issue is agriculture being identified as a priority item on this, that hasn't been, that hasn't been the case uh you know before so we're gonna have, this is the week to air out the issues on on the transportation side.
Speaker 1: Yeah and I think it's gonna be a big time now friday on the free for all on agritalk. Sean Haney from Real Agriculture was talking about it. It centers around uh companies like cf industry wanting to put their private cars on the united pacific lines uh which which is common practice but they're just not getting the access that they once had. So it's uh it's a real issue. There's no question. Um Darren ka pik from the Egg retailers association is going to be on agri talk this morning and we're going to talk about the impact that the egg retail industry is feeling because of the slowdown in rail shipments. But timing couldn't be worse for cf industry and other fertilizer providers to lose space on the rail lines
Speaker 2: jail. I agree. And hopefully the issue of fertilizer delivery, not only the supply situation, but can the railways take accelerated shipment of whatever fertilizer and other ag chemicals are available. Hopefully that issue will be brought up in either Tuesday or Wednesday.
Speaker 1: Alright. You
Speaker 2: know on the, on the logistics side, I reported this morning that uh the congestion chip at the ports of L. A. And Long beach have worsened in March. So we're taking a step back and they ended three straight months of improvement so I think we have a snap back in place.
Speaker 1: Okay, Alright. Um one other thing that happened over the weekend that I think we need to talk about quickly before we get really into the week ahead and Macron won another french presidency. I don't know if it was a surprise or not, but he didn't have a whole lot of support going into
Speaker 2: it. No, but the margin was some bit larger than the late polls were suggesting. So uh, interestingly, so the White house chief of staff, Ron Clain tweeted I think jokingly that, hmm because Macron's popularity was what very low 36 or 38% and he's still and he still won and Ron Klain said the famous huh? Referring to, you know, biden's low numbers,
Speaker 1: what what that shows is you can you can have a low approval rating but you still gotta put competition up against them.
Speaker 2: That's true. And it had been there before and it got to dicey at this time because she could easily be attacked by being too close to Putin and that was not the right timing for her,
Speaker 1: right? And Macron also compared her to former president trump and said, listen, if you're casting a vote for her, you're casting a vote for for president trump. If you're voting for her, you're voting for Brexit, let's not make some of the same mistakes that that's that was his line and the and the french the french voters. They kind of swarm to it at the last moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he got just over 58% of the vote, but, you know, it was the lowest number in a lot of years there. So that tells you to the enthusiasm gap in France.
Speaker 1: Well, it's I believe I also saw something over the, over the weekend that it was on average, the youngest group of voters in France in a long time. So it's the older voters that have kind of thrown their hands in the air and said, listen, we don't want anything to do with this
Speaker 2: anymore. Be interesting here because november 8th, midterm elections, Usually younger people do not vote to the degree in midterm elections, so. Well, if that's the case, although the younger voters are, are quite negative now on on on on president biden as well, you know, you know, based on some of the latest, well,
Speaker 1: okay, lawmakers are expected to take that up here this week. Both the house and the senator back And the Democrats are there. They want to take quick action on a couple of key issues. You've got the student loans, you got the drug prices and this morning, I heard a proposal for a $30 minimum wage. Mhm Why not make it 100?
Speaker 2: That means Bernie's running for president. Bernie Sanders. I don't feel the burn their uh these are, I'll tell you, I was at a dinner not too long ago with the House editor for the cook political report. Uh David Wasserman and I was telling him that uh I think this will be announced pretty late in the campaign before november 8th by the White House. And Dave said, you know, he didn't know how that cut totally, you know, you know, for the democrats, because there there's mixed opinions on that issue if you outright forgive the debt. What about all those kids and parents who paid off uh that that, you know, college tuition. So I think that they'll just keep on extending the repayment. Uh so, but this is a big issue in college, as I'll tell you that as well, it should because huge amounts to repay to be repaid, they don't want to pay it.
Speaker 1: Okay, what about on drug pricing? Uh
Speaker 2: there will be something on drug
Speaker 1: prices
Speaker 2: popular
Speaker 1: on both sides.
Speaker 2: Yes. And I would weekly believe that the democrats will have another reconciliation bill chip, and that's where it's going to include some of the energy provision that they want and have really been dealing with joe Manchin, the democrat from centrist democrat from west Virginia. And and and that's why all these letters are starting to come out uh through like last week urging uh the sustainable aviation fuel credit and things like that. So they're the lobbyists are gearing up for an eventual vote and and I really think I I see it coming, so called down payment on their on their new green deal.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, the infrastructure for the sustainable aviation fuel. We talked with Jordan's five from bioterror, jah about it last week. The colonial pipeline can already handle it and delivered I think to seven major airports on the east coast directly to them. The infrastructure is getting out in front of the supply. That's an amazing feat in the biofuels industry.
Speaker 2: Yes, I like when infrastructure is ahead. I really do. That's like out here in the east. My county loud and learned learned from Fairfax County that you build the schools and the off ramps and the roads before your population surges. And because we saw how Fairfax County didn't do it. Right. So I like infrastructure to be anticipatory.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Very cool, very cool. Okay. Okay. Uh there were two studies released last week, one from a group of ag economists, a distinguished
Speaker 2: group of ag
Speaker 1: economists and the second from texas A and M. The the consortium study that was released jim that it basically said that the cattle uh price discovery and market transparency act uh provides no benefit to cattle producers and will increase costs by hundreds of millions of dollars.
Speaker 2: The data if we wanted to go on the data. Now you can you know, this was a broad brush of Land Grant University ag economist, as you said the working group and then you have a very well respected uh analyst at texas A and m uh the ag policy, you know, people do an update based on the revised bill. And although they modified some of the impact of the initial legislation, it would have a draconian impact on southern producers. That was clear in the uh, in the analysis. So, again, I I know Grassley kind of poo poos, some of the stuff, but this is pretty, pretty rich academic peer peer group looking at this impact. So I just think, although I respect the senator from Iowa, he thinks that I think he's right by saying it will come out of the committee in a vote. I'm not quite so sure on the floor because look at all those southern senators who are gonna look at these bona fide reports and saying, do I want to support this?
Speaker 1: Right? And the report out of texas A and M. It really showed that if we're going to see a vast majority of the increase in cash negotiated trade would have to take place in the southern markets. We're doing plenty in the northern market. Um, and so that means, don't just think of it as more negotiated cash trade. Also think about it as less use of the ams, the alternative uh marketing arrangements that have become very popular with the producers, with the feed yard, with the with the packers in that southern market. And it's jim. This whole thing is one of the reasons that it really troubles me is why did this whole conversation get started? It got started because of the big four making big money while the feed yards we're making, we're losing big money. So that was a packer versus producer. It's now evolved or morphed into a northern cattle finisher versus southern cattle finisher. And you know, I hate those kinds of fractures in any kind of the industry. It it normally doesn't end well when you've got quantity fighting quality, you're in in this kind of a market,
Speaker 2: you hit the nail on the head and that's where mistakes can be made. So we're going to have to see before I forget. Gary Rasmussen student debt, the largest and increasing voting group has college debt. Not a question of if, but when you know, in theory, I agree with that. But it it uh, it would cost a huge amount of taxpayer money.
Speaker 1: Now. Did you see the follow up that he made? They're the
Speaker 2: main reason this group understands they will not see a nickel of Social Security.
Speaker 1: See, I used to think the same thing for me and the closer I get to it, the more I think, well, maybe maybe someday I am going to see at least some of us Social Security check. Do I have a chance.
Speaker 2: You I think so. You have a chance to see it, but
Speaker 1: you're not my daughter,
Speaker 2: you know, that's that's that, you know,
Speaker 1: Yeah,
Speaker 2: Jump ball, jump ball, you know, But again, on this issue, what does that signal give to people who are just now going to college, you know? Do they, how can with with a straight face, can they take out a loan to go to college if they're not going to, their heart says they're not going to repay it? I just, I don't, that's the, what we've broken down that system. Did that money, did they think they were not going to have to pay it?
Speaker 1: It's called skin in the game.
Speaker 2: You
Speaker 1: know, you've got to have ownership of that debt and if you've got ownership of the debt, then you've got ownership of your career and your responsibility to pay it back.
Speaker 2: That's
Speaker 1: how I see it. Um, okay, we're going to get the farm bill uh up and debate conversation really up and running in this on the Senate side by the end of the week
Speaker 2: because
Speaker 1: House is already there,
Speaker 2: uh contentious hearings and a number of occasions, but they're gonna have a field hearing and I always like field hearings. The first one is legitimately, it's where the Senate ag Chairwoman, Debbie stabenow resides in michigan and that will really begin the process. Chip. And, you know, you've got to look at the groups where we're going to, you know, be represented and things like that. But I'd much rather send it outside Washington to hear the grassroots uh approach.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, jim, we've only got a couple of minutes left here, you know what I like to do here at the end. Let's open it up to you kind of freestyling, what else are you really watching this week?
Speaker 2: Well the house appropriations hearings go through almost every day this week. And we're gonna hear from Secretary Vilsack, we're gonna hear from friday from E. P. A. Administrator michael Regan. So there's the opportunity for lawmakers to really cast a wide net on, on some key issues. I hope Vilsack is asked about whatever they're calling the whip. Plus now they changed the name Uh about the rollout for the 2020 and 2021 eligible crops because that continues to be an email I frequently get, but I always have to answer back. They said may and we're getting close to it. So hopefully we'll get an update, you know, from the ag secretary on that. Uh the other big issues, we have a Supreme Court ruling coming up on prayer in sports, you know, that'll be of note. Uh and you have uh some of the uh some good news is that they approved another michigan I think Plant for accelerated lightspeed Chip. That
Speaker 1: was that
Speaker 2: happened late friday. And you know, I noticed this on the weekend. I have time to go through all my emails. Uh you, you know, proposition 12, you know, last month the Supreme Court agreed to hear the case from the M. P. P. C. And and Farm bureau uh last week chips, Senators Dianne Feinstein democrat California Alex padilla democrat California cory booker, democrat New Jersey and Senate ag committee chairwoman Debbie stabenow from michigan all called on vilsack to support The Proposition 12 in the case. Now that's that caught my eye especially with stab in awe because the mainstream groups in agriculture are definitely on the opposite side of this. They know for reasons we've we've discussed that if if you allow that to go there's the template that activists strident groups are going to use against agriculture beyond the poultry and eggs which already face it and the pork industry, they'll have the template to come out after mainstream agriculture.
Speaker 1: Right right. Yeah. This is going to be a precedent setting case in so many ways that um it's very important that that animal agriculture get a fair shake on this one and and uh producers know how to best care for the animals that they've gotten their care.
Speaker 2: Yes. And we're going to see whether or not N. C. B. A. Comes out officially with the revised approach to this cash marketing so that that could surface any any day. Now
Speaker 1: another one that I'm going to be watching pretty close leo Brainard is going to be considered nomination to be vice chairman of the board of governors of the Federal Reserve.
Speaker 2: Yes I think that will eventually be approved. But you know we're seeing a lot of more targeted criticism of our Federal reserve. The economist. Their cover story was how the Fed failed. So uh they in order for them to get their uh soft landing, it's going to be extremely difficult and the confidence of our Fed is just not there at this particular time. Again. I I hate to see that chip.
Speaker 1: Okay. All right, jim. I think that's a wrap, isn't it? Alright. Don't forget this morning on agritalk Darren coptic president and ceo of the Egg retailers Association is going to give us some perspective on what the rail lines and union pacific is doing by restricting access to the rail lines and of course machinery Pete Greg Peterson will be on with an update of the used machinery. Markets go, cubs, go nats, can I get
Speaker 2: one?
Speaker 1: Oh go cards going back to the old days. Have a great week. Everybody keep watching for those signals.