Speaker 1: volatility in commodity markets has gone off the charts with the energy and grain markets leading that volatility. Equity markets have also reflected extreme uncertainty. Major league baseball is up against the deadline again. The lockout continues and without an agreement by
Speaker 2: midnight tonight the
Speaker 1: start of the regular season might be pushed back there. Yeah that's what we need. After two years of covid games. I'm agritalk host chip Flory. That's pro farmer policy analyst Jim Wiesemeyer. Good morning. Mr Weese Mayer. How are you today?
Speaker 2: Well I'm a war correspondent now. Chip again again. Uh we're um as pro farmer our headlines said war of words turns into war and that's what we're
Speaker 1: at. Um The I did see some some memories come back from my time in Chicago when when you and I were working together at futures world news and uh when when the gulf war the first gulf war started I had just gotten home was turned on the news and saw that shock and awe started and had to get back on the train and go back down to cover what was happening in the in the currency markets and so on and yeah it does turn you into a war correspondent. It really does when we're talking about what's going on in these markets.
Speaker 2: Yeah I remember the incident you mentioned I was at my favorite bar at the time in D. C. The blue mirror and I was calling in one liners from the bar
Speaker 1: yep yep. Absolutely. I think I had a conversation or two with you from that bar and I was on the floor of the mark.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were playing liars poker and I had to get out for a while. Yeah,
Speaker 1: such are the days, yeah, yeah, yeah, so, um, hey, you know what, before we get to the headlines, so jim and everything that is happening out there with, with everything that's happening, I'm sure that there are lots of questions, comments that, that viewers listeners uh, want to contribute to the conversation today. If you look over at the right, you can click on the comments and that should open up a dialog box for you at the bottom of the page and um, enter your comments and your questions there, and we'll try to get to them before the, before the end of our time here, this morning, um, again, before we get to the headlines, I feel like if we don't go back and take a look at what happened at last week's USDA Annual Ag outlook for him, we might run out of time, uh, once we get to the headlines. So what was the headliners for you from the outlook for him?
Speaker 2: Well, i it wasn't the commodity outlook, because it was pre invasion, and, and I feel bad for USDA because they put a lot of time into that conference and they did release some of their estimates somewhere of note, but the, but I just think you, you really have to go from here on, on acreage yield and, and all that other stuff. So it was a look back your relative to the commodity outlook. But I thought the most important thing I got out of it was Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack uh interviews with the number of people including U. S. Trade rep Katherine tai because slowly we're beginning it's like pulling teeth uh uh their trade vision. But I spent a lot of time on that on pro farmer dot com this morning. And and they made it clear that they that they have other tools than traditional new trade agreements that they know is going to be hard to get through Congress. And they really talked about that. And I think Bill sack was spot on when he said we have to come up with the various approaches to water down our significant all eggs in one basket called china. So you know, I think that how they do it there there's are ways that they're starting with India on pork that did not take you know, Congress's agreement and as I keep saying uh they let trade promotion authority or fast track expires. So there's no approach to submit a traditional trade agreement to Congress because you need T. P. A. Because that allows for an up or down vote young without any amendments. So they're going to take different approaches. I I don't I've had some emails do I agree or disagree? It's not up to me to do that. But I say well let's let's see how their approach unfolds as if it's going to expand our market penetration in some other areas. I'm for it.
Speaker 1: Okay. Um Trade and and we talked about this last week to it seems like as as you said we're seeing more of the biden administration's trade vision out there. It's becoming a more uh popular topic of of conversation and I I'm glad to see it. I don't think we've got the undersecretary at U. S. D. A. In position yet, do we? No no
Speaker 2: not the person. So but uh but USTR is one of the most efficient groups that that we've seen over the years whether it's a democrat or Republican administration and Vilsack especially after his work at the dairy uh you know lobby group clearly knows the significance of trade to a number of commodities. So I think we're okay so far.
Speaker 1: Okay. Very good. What's this I hear about china wanting into Cp TPP.
Speaker 2: They they brought that up and uh Vilsack said they may want in but under the definitions and guidelines of the C. P. T. P. P. Which is the afterglow of the transpacific Partnership Asia pacific. Trade groups mainly he said they wouldn't qualify. But he also said the U. S. At this time. You know you know you know doesn't want to take steps to go in either. So that was revealing when when he just punted china's interest off and said at this time the U. S. Does not want an and all this. Well, uh I just think that they don't they know they don't have the votes and of course trade promotion authority, you know it but that was that's a more the older approach to trade. I think that they're looking on one on ones and things like that ironically the the approach that trump preferred uh you know, bilaterals as opposed to multilateral. So I think they're coming around to that now in my speeches chip, you know, farmers are usually head of Washington, which is usually the last to know, okay. But a number of farmers astute farmers have asked me do their commodity and farm groups, what are they saying relative to this possible changing trade environment? Are they gearing up? I know the soybeans has an excellent with the soy console. They they really are sharp and the meat export federation is probably the best. So that's what I tell farmers, I said they have to be, you know, strategizing on how they're going to dance around this changing trade policy focus because as we're going to get into uh china could definitely be impacted by this war. As if their banks work with Russia, you know, on on all sorts of things which they have been doing. Uh they'll come in and have to be sanctioned by the U. S. And our allies and that's again these are these unintended consequences and these broad brush when you get into the fog of war.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's get to that big headline and that is Russia and Ukraine.
Speaker 2: There are talks
Speaker 1: happening. Uh but the reason that talks are happening I think is because the timeline Putin's timeline, the war is not running according to his timeline. I think he expected further advancement for his his efforts than what he's got right now. Yeah,
Speaker 2: the word is that four days and not done but four days and demolished. And it's not happening. The the will of the Ukrainian people is very very heartwarming to see uh and chilling at the same aspect with the Children, literally having to go down in in in pits and in basements, uh uh etcetera. And so many people leaving the country into Poland belarus is interesting. That's where they're having it on the border as we speak now. The defense minister from Ukraine is heading their delegation and the initial signals, they don't expect much. But this goes under the tradition, you escalate to deescalate chip that this is why Russia is pummeling or trying to as we speak, you know, you know, with the missile attack, you know, missile attacks, et cetera. But Ukraine doesn't expect much from it. But at least they're talking
Speaker 1: right. You mentioned the will of the Ukrainian people. Uh I'm learning more and more of of Ukrainian President Zelensky and um it's a remarkable story, one that I did not anticipate that I just didn't know much about him, to be honest with you jim and to see the path that he took towards leadership, he won over the country on Ukrainian dancing with the stars. It's, it's shocking to me, but here he is, leading and fighting for his country.
Speaker 2: That's and he's escalating very high because he's stuck in the country. Uh, and he was, some people are calling him the Churchill of our times. I think that's a bit of an overstatement right time. You know, you have to go on a little longer.
Speaker 1: It
Speaker 2: could be, but he knows the savviness of the internet, he's using that he's usurping Russia in that regard. So he's got the world on his, most of the world on his side and he's very articulate and I think that's the common man into him and he was a comedian and, and, and, and comedians, many, I don't have to, you know, broad brush, they can be very somber at times, very, very inward and I think that's coming out that he has the ability to put a pithy line out there. And so, um, but that's
Speaker 1: it, the commonality of this guy is the reason or one of the reasons that the Ukrainian people are, are fighting as aggressively as they are. They're willing to follow this guy. What I'm not saying according to the reports and you gotta take everything with, with a bit of caution that you see is it seems that the will of the Russian troops is not what President Putin needs to get this job done. No,
Speaker 2: some of their equipment has faulted. Uh, it's not the robust Russian military hardware that we were led to believe. Plus many Russians are, are not in favor of this uh, invasion. And while their protests are being kept down, look at the over 100,000 in Germany over the weekend protesting. And now Germany in a major change of policy is going to send money and military equipment to Ukraine. That's a fundamental change. So Putin is getting what he really definitely did not want. A unified opposition and a unified NATO. And I know both groups, uh, you know, us and and our allies were slow to come out of the chute. But boy, these, these increasing sanctions are definitely biting. You saw overnight, Um, uh, the, you know, you know, Russian Central Bank increased rates to 20% I think from 9.5 the ruble is plunging. So this is one of many economic bites that's going to encircle Russia. And the people are seeing this, they're feeling it, the run on banks in Russia etcetera. So As we go into beyond day four, this can get very costly for, for Russia, even though Putin built up, you know, foreign currency reserves, but they can, they can choke him pretty pretty quickly chip And I've noticed with great interest, a number of reputable people beginning to question the state of mind of Putin, I don't usually like to get into those areas. But when you have Condoleezza Rice from the, from the bush administration, Senator Marco rubio, who he said he didn't want to reveal inside intelligence on that. That alone says something right there. So you've got to worry about that because of the weekend events. When you taper any language dealing with nuclear weaponry and some of that over the weekend. That's, that's heady stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the, the talk of nuclear weapons, uh, the re one of the big reasons that caught my attention is as quickly as it did is I flash back to one of the lines that President Putin used in his hour long address to the, to the Russian people leading up to the invasion. And that was, we do not have a border with Ukraine. We have a border with America because of the westernization of that country. That to me if you're wondering if America is, is within range of Russian nukes according to Putin, they're, they're, they share a border with America and that's his mindset. That's what really concerns me that you we just, we just don't know what he's what he's capable of at this time.
Speaker 2: That's true, especially with the changing mindset of some of these stories are correct Chip that gets nervous and then with, with so many, uh, people from Ukraine going into Poland and some of the weaponry going through Poland into Ukraine that just increases the possibility not likely possibility of a conflict and they're they're a NATO country and then that will bring in all the 30 NATO countries including the United States. So yeah we're into this very sensitive area here and that's why the talks are important. Whether or not they lead to anything or not that that you know, uh again, Putin probably wants to be done with this now because he'll hemorrhage pretty soon as far as the cost. And then it's clear now that there would be an insurgency even even if Russia is successful in the two major cities, Kiev and Kharkov. Uh so uh the insurgency would happen and the U. S. And western allies would help fund that. And that that's Putin's second Afghanistan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he didn't he? Yeah, he certainly I don't think certainly doesn't want that on obviously been watching for any signs of a cyber attack originating from Russia. And again if reports are accurate on this, there was a cyber attack that originated from Ukraine that stopped a load of train train that was transporting fuel and troops through Belarus. But Ukraine hacked the system and stopped the train.
Speaker 2: Well it shows it goes both ways. Yes the if if Putin throws the cyber attack on the U. S. I've been told here from by pretty good people we will respond in kind and it won't be namby pamby stuff. Just to show the flexibility we have. We know how to do it as we've we've been in reserved of doing it because of the escalation, a flavor of a wire chip. But that's that's how world wars start. And I'm not saying don't do it and all that other stuff. These are what strategists are telling me to watch out for.
Speaker 1: Okay, I feel like we've tippy toed around this question, but I'm just going to ask you right out is Putin in a corner.
Speaker 2: He's boxed himself into a corner, I believe. And you know what happens that you take uh if it's not well thought out and he probably listened to people uh that he wanted to hear the news he wanted to hear rather than people who said you better watch out here. So I think he is in a corner.
Speaker 1: Okay. We mentioned you mentioned this briefly at the start and I'm to a point in my and the things that I wanted to talk about jim, where I've got a note that just as china and the connection and uh the connection of china to all of this talk more about it because if china does continue to do business with Russia and using the financial system inside of of Russia, uh there's there's gonna be consequences to pay.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Because now we're also going the U. S. And Western allies are going after belarus for their clear involvement in this. And in fact belarus are sending, you know, military troops into Ukraine china as they are want to do likes to have it both ways. They don't like to pick a winner or loser. But in this case, early on with that trip from Putin to Beijing at the olympics, they compared notes. He clearly was in favor of the of the of the Russian strategy but it's gone awry now China is changing their trying to be an interested observer saying protect sovereignty and things like that. It really started and I and I and I I wrote earlier to watch this U. N. Vote last week how china voted and they abstained from voting. That was very key because normally they would have gone along and vetoed it like Russia did on the on on the resolution against the invasion. That was the first clear indication that China was having second thoughts chip. But this is try goes into trade. As we said before, this is major market sensitive impacts because not only are most of the ports, not all, but most of the ports in Ukraine ceased, you know, and that's why you have sunflower oil, wheat and corn and beans just surging again. But this throws off the entire trade mechanics let alone the financing of trade. two major banks that finance a lot of of Russia's you know, trade are just pulling out. So the the history of banking lessons that I was taught in my history classes are are helping me out now because you follow the money and money is being choked off in the, in, in Russia and it could in china as well.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Absolutely. Okay, let's bring this whole situation back home. Uh, does this slow down the Fed's plans to increase interest rates?
Speaker 2: Well, we're going to see because the Fed chairman, jerome jay Powell, is going to appear twice before the House and Senate this week, Wednesday and thursday. And if a lawmaker doesn't ask him that question, I, they're not, you aren't worth anything. But I think they will, uh, I think this does affect from what I'm hearing from financial analysts. They'll be cautious, uh, to, to see how it unfolds. But they boxed themselves into a corner as well with their tapering program that should have started nine months ago with their, uh, inflation is transitory. Um, you know, you know, you know, mistaken, well into 2021 we can see food prices continue to elevate. And there's another angle USDA came out friday with increases across the board in 2022. Uh, you know, food price, you know, forecast at and away from home and they're still going to be too low. Uh, so yes, I, I think this will affect the Fed's strategy, but we're gonna see if Powell says that he'll say let the data follow him, which usually does. And that's not bad advice.
Speaker 1: Right, okay. Congress is back this week, both the House and the Senate come back to work today. Um, what's on the agenda.
Speaker 2: Well the big thing in town. Well of course it's now they've got to change you know situation what with the Russian invasion. So that that's that's the number one issue now. But then we have President Bush. President Bush president biden holding his first official state of the union address Tuesday tomorrow. And he's going to have to address any updates to the american people and Congress on the U. S. And our allies actions. I think he'll be favorably applauded for the for the actions follow up actions that are transpiring now. So we're gonna see. Uh but then he'll have to go through this. This should be a pivot for him because the word is that and you're seeing it in the in the in the major media chip with the covid pivot. Uh yeah that I don't have to wear masks. I think he's going to call the government workers back to Washington D. C. Offices in a phased in atmosphere. USDA has already done the same So that's something to look out for. He's going to of course talk about his number other than the water. Now the number one issue is climate change he'll spend some time on that his handlers hope that this will put the low in his continuing lower poll numbers that were out over the weekend and I think they're probably going to be right uh whether the bump is is significant remains to be seen. Uh he'll also talk about his other issues that he he'll talk about success is what he says during his first year, which was the bipartisan infrastructure framework or biff in the infrastructure bill. And in fact his first trip after he gives the address will be on that topic chips. So that tells you his focus there. Plus he'll he'll have to deal with the sensitive nature of inflation, food prices or agriculture should be mentioned dear. We'll see if he comes out in the attack mode on the meat processors and things like that. But he's gonna have to try to soothe the american public because it's high anxiety right now. So the president, that's the bully pulpit pulpit, we're going to see that come into play. So and and biden is pretty good at that when when he focuses on that. So we're gonna see. But he's going to have to tell the american public gas prices are going to go higher. We could probably have Uh, you know, $4 average prices within the next few months on on gasoline if not higher.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're gonna come back to biden here but we don't have a whole lot of time left but we will come back to biden in in a moment after we address one of the things that you had in in your morning update jim that I think is very important. He said one of the biggest wild cards for the week will be the decision on Wednesday by Opec on production.
Speaker 2: Yes. Opec plus now of course the U. S. And allies are are urging uh Opec Saudi Arabia and other big producers to increase production. But it's going to be interesting whether or not they follow through. Now, you've got more than a few republicans and the American Petroleum Institute pleading with biden to lighten up on the regulations on our crude oil industry and maybe focus on expanding the production capabilities allowing on the natural gas area. Because we're going to have to help europe out part of Germany's major switches. They said they're going to build up a natural gas reserve. So no longer will they be able to rely on Russia for a significant portion of their natural gas trade. So this is this is all embodied. A lot of things are gonna happen this week. Not only the state of the Union. What biden says relative to the energy needs
Speaker 1: now, not
Speaker 2: in the future now and then on on Opec, will they increase production to kind of lower the surging atmosphere remains to be seen.
Speaker 1: Jim, I'm afraid that this is going to be one of the most deflected state of the Union addresses we've ever seen. Yes, we've got this problem but it's caused by yes, we've got high meat prices. But look at the packers they caused it. Yes, we've got high gas prices. But that's because Russia invaded Ukraine and there will be no recognition of the administration's energy policy, no recognition of the supply chain issues uh that have added to the inflationary pressures that are being reflected now it's going to be yes, we see that this is happening, but none of it is our fault.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I hate in a time of war and our actions against the country in that war. You know, I don't want to be seen walking on the edge of politicizing anything but that out of the way. Okay. I think you're right to bring that up because there were legitimate arguments where the administration, their first week showed their true attitudes towards the crude oil industry with the with the uh voting down of the keystone XL pipeline, look where that would be helping uh with the regulations on on the on the crude oil industry. Uh some of the leases in that uh, you know, tapping the strategic petroleum reserve can only go so far. But this was a lack of vision around the Western world chip. Because look at look at where europe got married to Russia. You know, again, President trump didn't do everything right, okay. But he tried to caution for years, europe uh of what they were doing Relying on that, you know, North Stream two pipeline for their future. And now that's out the window. They're going to have to re rethink the energy policy for the future. But Germany over the weekend again said they would not resurrect Uh their nuclear energy which is phased out by the end of this year. They used to rely on nuclear energy for 30%. So they're going to have a higher prices in Europe. So yes, I think there were things that the Biden administration did without getting politics that's just announcing the obvious that they wanted to go to uh sustainable fuels right away and you just can't do that. It takes years, it takes years.
Speaker 1: Right. Um You mentioned former president trump, he was at CPAP in florida over the weekend. He is clearly running In 2024.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he basically announced it without announcing a trump style but you know he won the straw vote, straw poll vote whatever that means. But he has and he increased his but on a percentage basis Ron DeSantis, the governor of florida, although way behind trump his his increase versus the last time was larger than trump's I like to point that out, I think trump is going to have a harder time than the so called experts think because he now he's in controversy again by some people say he was misquoted. No he wasn't, he wasn't, he complimented Putin called him brilliant, smart or whatever and genius genius. You just just watch now every republican is going to have to answer that question. Do you agree with your former president?
Speaker 1: Right, right? There's a fine line between genius and madman and I think we all know which way President Putin is leaning and he should have made that very clear in making that comment. Um, just strange, strange, strange way to make the comment. That's true. Yeah. Anyway, we are out of time. Jim anything that we have missed that that you feel like we need to
Speaker 2: address. I don't
Speaker 1: think so. Okay,
Speaker 2: volatility. Just look at the victim and just expect this thing is not going to go away anytime soon chips. So we're gonna have peaks and valleys and of which we, I have not seen for many, many years. So, and then watch the head, this is a headline grabbing market right now and uh, but you need sustained um, you know, development on the positive side coming out of Russia and Ukraine and I don't think we're there anytime soon.
Speaker 1: Okay. We are going to be talking market implications of the Russian Ukraine situation uh, this morning on agritalk. Pro farmer editor brian Grady is going to join me for that conversation and I can't think of anybody better to have on the show to talk about How the politics are coming together with the markets. Uh, right now the Dow is off nearly 500 points. That's actually closer to 400 points. The corn market 22, cents higher soybeans 30-35 cents higher in the wheat market, 50 plus cents higher.
Speaker 2: Are we tracking you might want to tip off Brian what sunflower oil prices are doing because around 80% of all trade comes from Russia and Ukraine. We, we spotted that early on in the numbers chip that watch it when I was out in Kansas. He said, you flower, people better watch this one because you're gonna have one heck of a rally. That's right,
Speaker 1: yep, yep. And, and along with the Kansas producers watching what's going on in the sunflower market, I want to tell everybody, have a great week out there and keep watching for those signals.