Speaker 1: it is Tuesday september 6 2022. And this is D. C. Signal to noise since we last talked Russia decided not not to restart the flow of natural gas through the nord stream pipeline. You know, they completed the maintenance and just decided we don't have to turn it back on now. The biden administration has asked for another $47.1 billion. The U. S. Jobs state in august got a goldilocks label and the Iowa State Cyclones won their first game of the season and won it pretty easily. Thank God. All right, Jim Wiesemeyer, pro farmer policy analyst. Good morning Jim.
Speaker 2: The nationals have won three in a row, two against the Mets and one against my ST louis. Cardinals
Speaker 1: wow. Are they still playing
Speaker 2: baseball? Did you see,
Speaker 1: did you see that the cubs decided to go ahead and pitch the pool holes
Speaker 2: and you know, he's only five away I guess from another record serving them up.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable. Unbelievable. Welcome to you all. I'm glad that you're with us on this Tuesday morning. I'm agritalk host chip Flory uh Senate comes back to work today. The house is still on recess until september 13th jim. So we should start to see some movement on some of the critical uh issues that uh that that we have talked about in the past year. Uh the comments tab on your screen, click on that and you a dialog box will pop up, you can be involved in the conversation if you would like to be involved and melody, Good morning. It's good that you're back that like to see that jim let's start with the question that we had on the comments I believe just last week about the magnetosphere.
Speaker 2: Yes. What
Speaker 1: what did you learn?
Speaker 2: Well it's it's made the Earth hospitable. It protects us from the space weather, but it's weakened apparently about 10% or so over the last 160 years. So I guess the concern is that if it continues to weaken that it will affect the Earth uh whether cycles are or whatever that's kind of the bottom line is just something else to worry about.
Speaker 1: And there's a cycle to the strength of the magnetosphere, right?
Speaker 2: Yes. It can flip flop, it can flip flop. That that was made clear to me as well. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That might be why we have periods of warming and periods of cooling in the country in the globe. But be
Speaker 2: careful how you say it
Speaker 1: just saying, I'm not saying no and I'm not denying, but I'm saying, alright. Uh some of the things that happened over the weekend, Russia will not restart the flow of gas to Germany as planned. Uh You were watching the the european energy markets yesterday jim tell us about it. U.
Speaker 2: K. Energy prices went up 30% intra market chip, they settled 10% higher and throughout Europe they've gone up, I mean and they were already sky high as you well know now the european officials are going to meet friday to approve a huge, uh, consumer aid package. And we're talking a lot of money chip to bring down the cost of electricity and gas. So this is affecting not only europe, but it will eventually affect the United States again, uh, as well, we've got, uh, uh, Brent crude over right around $92. So they're on their way up. In addition, opec plus, uh, monday, decrease their production by 10%. Not much, you know, 100,000, I shouldn't say 10%.
Speaker 1: 100,000.
Speaker 2: Yes, But it was the psychological, you know, factor there that, that helped, you know, surge prices as well.
Speaker 1: Oh, absolutely, Absolutely. Um, jim how serious we're talking about a huge amount of money that Putin is, is, um, um, saying that he could be generating a lot of money from the sales. Okay, by restarting the nord stream pipeline. The money is important to him. There's no question about that. How serious is he with this threat not to restart the flow?
Speaker 2: Very serious because their officials told the West they're not going to open the spigot again on North Stream one until the West, uh, uh, you know, lifts its sanctions. Well, it's not gonna happen, you know, very soon. So we're in this for the long haul. So connecting the dots chip, you've got Ukrainian president saying, hey, we need to accelerate our action in this war because Putin and Russia is in for the long haul. So all these are, are tied together and Russia for the first time really admitted uh in a report that I think Bloomberg was the first to report on of increasing degradation to their economy as a result
Speaker 1: the
Speaker 2: sanctions. So we're getting some truth now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely. I saw the, I found the numbers now from your your morning update. Uh it could cost Russia as much as 400 billion rubles, about $6.6 billion dollars a year and lost tax revenues, You know, with the kind of numbers that we tossed around in the US $6.6 billion. Does't sound like that much anymore. Jim.
Speaker 2: No, but you know, Russia's economy. It does. Plus they're going to it's going to grow on Russia because with them having to replace parts for for their manufacturing industry that they relied on the west. So they're going to be increasingly inefficient chip and they'll have to close some plants down as well that you're seeing also in in Germany increased in the future. Uh, So yeah, this is having a world impact and that's why the uh W. T. O. Uh general uh over the weekend was rather somber assessment on the outlook ahead, not only for trade volume, I think they're going to reduce it in the next few days but also on the impact of all these things. We've been talking about energy etcetera, how it will affect the entire global economy.
Speaker 1: So last week we talked about the plan to put a cap on Russian oil prices. Now it looks like there is a plan on how that cap is going to be enforced.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And two different dates I forget the exact dates. One it's december and the other one I think is sometime early
Speaker 1: next february.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in february. But you know, Russia holds the trump card I think on this one because they're gonna move even more of their volume if they do this. Okay, to Asia. And so unless you have the vast majority of countries in this coalition for this plan ship, I don't think it's gonna work. That's what the real good thinkers are saying.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the plan to enforce the cap is, there's a group of wealthy countries moving ahead with a plan to ban the insurance and financing of Russian oil shipments unless they're priced at a certain level or below.
Speaker 2: Yes. and 90% of their of their shipments are, you know, basically insured by Europe.
Speaker 1: Right, right, right. Absolutely. Okay. Questions are starting to come in, Michael, I see you there. He says, I am denying, I appreciate that. Gary Rasmussen comes in with has Putin made a de facto reserve energy currency.
Speaker 2: Uh, well, Putin before the invasion, uh, for years, for several years, built up Russian currency reserves. So I think you can't get away from the dollar that easily, but in part, he is tempered, Uh, you know, this with a, uh, a, uh, a pseudo energy currency to a degree. Not totally, but he, he cannot escape the world impacts because of the Russian economy for what 20 years? Well ever since the fall of the Soviet Union was becoming more geopolitical
Speaker 1: jim, I just recalled something that I think you said on the free for all on a great talk on friday when, when you said that that Russia will continue to move to Asia. You said on friday that Asia is then turning around and selling that Russian oil out into the global market. Is that happening? And how, how widespread is it?
Speaker 2: It's probably widespread. It's hard to track chip because even some of these ships now that they've found that, that their decoy ng, some of their signals so you can't follow. So it's, it's, it's, I think intelligent speculation, but because you're seeing the volumes go over to china and they can't even use it all. So yeah, they're making some profits. So china and India India especially.
Speaker 1: Okay. Uh Tanner makes a good point and Tanner came in with, doesn't Germany have inventories near their goal of 75% of last year's needs in regards to natural gas. I know that they have built up significantly their inventories. I don't know if it's all way to their goal yet. Is it?
Speaker 2: It's 85%,,
Speaker 1: 85%.
Speaker 2: So that tells you, yeah, they have made substantial progress now it depends on the temperature, it depends on their other actions, but it looks like they're you know, they're doing what they have to do.
Speaker 1: Okay. And then Melody came in with the point that that that I just made, sorry Melody Russia is selling oil uh, and guess to china that in turn is selling it to europe. We just discussed that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's just like our grain embargo. Remember the carter, grain embargo? Similar things happened. It's just it's just hard to track.
Speaker 1: Right? Right, okay. There's uh, e sunday L. A. B. Sundial says this is a big mass all fertilizer plants around the Baltic sea are shut down. We are now struggling to buy even if we want there is halting availability of fertilizer products around the Baltic,
Speaker 2: It's going to continue as an issue. Yeah. This fertilizer thing is not going to go away anytime soon. So yeah, we could be right back in the soup, you know, and look at you look at diesel prices while gasoline prices have come down rather significantly diesel is what over over five
Speaker 1: dollars. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, you're you're you're spot on fertilizer. Nobody knows with any significant odds of when the fertilizer market will be tempered. And so it'll be a plus side again for for, you know, world egg
Speaker 1: right? If you want some perspective on what's going on in the fertilizer markets, we had josh linville from Stone X Group. He is he's kind of the go to guy on a lot of fertilizer issues for many uh news outlets right now. But we had him on agri talk on Wednesday last week, give that conversationalist and I think it'll shed some light on exactly what's going on out there. Um okay let's talk a little bit more about Russia and their activities in Ukraine. What are they doing? Are they targeting a nuclear plant?
Speaker 2: You know, it's shut down over the weekend because they lost electricity so they had to fire it down so that just the odds are at least increasing of the dramatic impact on that chip. And that's all I really want to say because I'm gonna let uh the experts talk on that one. But the but the the outlook on that is not good. I also want to point out before I forget over the weekend, Russia approved uh giving Putin more freedom uh in countries that have Russian citizens now, I I don't want to hype it too much but just think of this, he can go into a country to help Russians, you know, much like he did in in uh in the Crimea, you know remember when he said he was just helping the Russian citizens so they gave him more flexibility. That's not a good sign, wow,
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay let's move to another spot. Another potential hotspot that everybody is watching and China has threatened over the weekend to take countermeasures after the Biden administration approved the sale of more than $1.1 billion dollars worth of arms to Taiwan. This is pretty much standard operating procedure stuff, isn't
Speaker 2: it? It is. And this is what the biden administration I think of um accurately said that this was uh you know, coming, this should not have been a surprise to china, but again, they're going into their party congress chip on october 16th so they have to appear that they're not backing down one iota to the United States. So I think this is more noise rather than any signal to me at this particular
Speaker 1: time. As long as we're talking china and and conflicts here, it looks like the White house is going to keep the trump era tariffs in place for a while. Right?
Speaker 2: Yes. U S. T. R U. S. Trade rep Put out a statement friday and they're going to call for more comments but this is just delaying it right now because you had a number of US manufacturers that wants to keep those tariffs on. So I think that the the way Washington, I don't care whether it's Democratic or Republican administrations, the way they think that they solve problems is just to extend something chip. So you know, they don't know really what they want to do on this one.
Speaker 1: Gotcha. Gotcha. Um Okay. The I feel like I need to back up to something. Jim. Where was it? I just saw them.
Speaker 2: Well
Speaker 1: yeah, no, we're gonna get there. We're going to get there. Oh I know what it was I know what it was when we talked about energy issues. We need we need to talk about the U. S. Commitment to restock the spr every time we talk about it
Speaker 2: now. Okay.
Speaker 1: What is the level of commitment?
Speaker 2: Well eventually yes but in in part of this package that the White House sent to Congress friday I think it was friday. I haven't seen much reporting other than on pro farmer yet. So others are gonna follow us up on this one. But in there they've requested 500 million more dollars for the Strategic Petroleum Reserve. So it will give them a longer time to refill it. And there's other reasons for the you know funding request for the S. P. R. But that caught my eye and some of the request so that answers your question last week. Chip is how soon will they start refilling it? I don't think it's any time soon.
Speaker 1: Okay. It it's got to be before the end of the
Speaker 2: Year it gets into by the end of fiscal 2023. That starts October one. That's kind of what the language kind of signaled.
Speaker 1: So
Speaker 2: they have a full year.
Speaker 1: Oh man.
Speaker 2: Yeah about 15 months.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's it's going to be a uh it's going to be a shock to the system when the when the U. S. Comes in and starts competing for for oil on the global market
Speaker 2: at that particular time. But they could always, you know, the emergency declarations. I mean the White House, I can probably say there's an emergency and or they could put another line in the coming uh you know, continuing resolution to give them more flexibility. Those are the things we you know, we're watching for.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's talk currencies here just real quickly because Adam had a question says good morning, good morning Adam, how significant is the dollar index cracking above 1 10?
Speaker 2: Uh The dollar strength which now continues to go higher. Uh The Wall Street Journal had an interesting article today saying that around the world, traders are flocking to the US equities market now because it's it's one of the few uh games in town uh knowing what's going on uh in in the rest of the world for some of the reasons we've already talked about Uh that that's giving us consumers more power, more flexible power for their buying power. So but yeah, you with the Fed going to increase interest rates probably seven another 75 basis points september 21st the 20th and the 21st on the next FomC meeting, you're going to see a continued, well at worst, a stable dollar uh if not an increasing, you know, dollar strength. And you're seeing that in the girl that went under parody again and the british pound and the yen. Uh So yes that that's unless uh we have the G. Seven go in and and and settle this thing down again. But you can't rule out that either Jeff.
Speaker 1: Right. Right. Yeah. The dollar index this morning is up about 680 points at that 1, 10.20. I saw a comment last week that the dollar is so strong in Europe that even the Europeans have to call it soccer now.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And a number of americans are going to europe and to buying real estate and houses. So yeah, these are the things you see when currencies get out of alignment and it'll it'll come to the G. Seven attention. We've been through this before. What, several decades
Speaker 1: ago? Let's get to uh this one because this is a biggie. No question about it. The Biden White House has asked for $47.1 billion 11.7 billion in military and budgetary aid for Ukraine. Jim. This is gonna sound kind of cold and heartless. But another $11.7 billion mrs in Mississippi is tell them not to drink the water.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. Yeah that's it's it's a yeah that's gonna get them in trouble eventually if they keep it up. But this is a proxy war. This is not Ukraine uh fighting uh you know Russia by itself. This is the proxy war with the U. S. And in europe, you know that is clear. And administrations always uh you know suggest supplemental spending and they're usually very important things and this is one of them but still more aid for Ukraine but included in there with $6.5 billion chip for disaster aid up which a billion and a half is for crops and livestock disasters this year.
Speaker 1: Now,
Speaker 2: just as soon as we reported on that over the weekend, I got a flood of emails saying is that all that the er emergency relief program which will it'll probably be implemented that way that all that's going to total? No uh far state lawmakers have now have a history of increasing that once they get into the details of what we will eventually have a continuing resolution or a stopgap funding measure to be approved by the end. But by the end of this month chip, so we're gonna know, but I want to tell listeners we don't know the full amount. Uh Number two, it will probably go out via the E. R. P. Program because USDA now has the regulations for that. Uh they have history of that and they're able to get the money out uh in a more efficient manner. So again additional aid is coming and this would be multiple years now for the ag disaster aid which causes some questions in the crop insurance area that eventually is this gonna be a yearly program. And if so how will that affect farmers attitudes for toward buying crop insurance.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Um And it's it's the amount of ad hoc spending on disaster programs has got to have an impact on the debate, the negotiations of the next farm bill.
Speaker 2: It will. Yes. Yes. Absolutely. But you know, I and uh in uh at the farm progress show G. T. Thompson uh had had a presser and he made clear that if if he is the new House ag committee chairman, if the republicans do take over the House uh an extension of the current farm bill is not an option chip. So he made that clear and that's the feeling we got. If you recall when I had dinner with him and his wife uh a month ago, I guess. Uh So he's following suit on that. But I'll tell you a farm bill is gonna it's, you know, after watching 10 of them uh first and foremost is they have to settle on how much funding is going to be available for food and nutrition. If you don't get that, you won't have a farm bill. We saw that the last farm bill. So there has to be, and it's usually a lot more money once you have that settled, then you can discuss, okay, how much funding is available and they're gonna request from the budget, you know, committees, additional funding above and beyond what the traditional farm bill baseline would look like. And I think they're gonna need it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they're definitely going to need it, uh this look at what the uh federal payments, the ad hoc payments, the emergency relief payments have meant to total farm income. You had those numbers last week.
Speaker 2: Yes. And it was a dramatic change in their net farm and net cash income from what USDA forecast in february. I'm not faulting USDA, They didn't know some of these payments would be approved. They have to go on the on the policy existing at the time they make therefore cast. So yeah, this shows you the importance until we get hopefully settled down in the years ahead that you won't have to rely on these ad hoc payments that, but they're needed. I'll tell you, I get a lot of emails and calls where it's needed, it's needed significantly. And that happens to be the west west of the Mississippi, that's where
Speaker 1: it's needed. Yeah, I'm telling you jim. And even with the amount of money that has been spent in in the egg industry over the last 23 years, uh there are some that have still been left out. You know, and I'm looking at the hog industry and and some of those hog producers, they they experienced, you know, huge costs, huge costs that still have not been covered much of any. And I don't know if that's ever gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Well some has been covered, but not nearly enough to be fair, I don't think it's been equitable to the hog hog sector, some of this uh you know, financial assistance. And if that's the case, I know brian Grady chatted with me last week because he knows I have a lot of contacts in the hog industry and we're trying to confirm a rather a trend that we're picking up in some of our sources ship of liquid, some liquidation in the hog sector. And we're gonna, we're probably gonna see those numbers come into fruition in the latter part of this year.
Speaker 1: Right. Right. Um It uh yeah, that's exactly right. That's the bottom line there. It's in some markets, it's hard to get sales in right now. You make the phone call. It might be three weeks before you get cells into before you can move them. So Okay, just a couple of minutes left. What else are you watching closely this week?
Speaker 2: Well, I want to see action again on this continuing resolution in the White House budget request. We have the crop report coming out what september the 12th. So the key things there will be what if that second digit on the corn yield the trade is at a 71 72. About the pro farmer estimate had a six in there. Uh So that's the key. But even at 1 72 corn prices will be uh you know, relatively firm. We're going to have to watch the acreage to see if nasa uh agrees with uh pro farmer, I think we went up about 500,000 acres
Speaker 1: on on
Speaker 2: soybeans and kept corn the same. And so uh Kind of we're gearing up their Australia Monday. Put out a huge wheat crop estimate and a good canola crop estimate as as well. So that that's what we're watching and of course Fed action coming up here on the 20th and the 21st.
Speaker 1: Okay. Very good. I'm going to have Jeff cooper from our F. A. The C. E. O. At R. F. A. On the show this morning talking about the administration's plans to come with a three year R. V. O. Renewable volume obligations. Is that even legal under the RFs jim.
Speaker 2: I think it's probably legal that
Speaker 1: that
Speaker 2: that they've given E. P. A pretty good flexibility which they should. And again as we discussed on agritalk on friday if they do that, it was first writer story if they if E. P. A releases three years that's good for the industry because then you can plan, there's always subject to changes as we get into that particular year because you know, market situation changes. But at least you can kind of plan a lot better than after the fact Jeff. We've gone what well over a year on some getting some of the final, you know, numbers for the R. V. O. S. Of the RFs.
Speaker 1: Right. Right. Yeah. So I'm looking forward to that conversation with Jeff. We'll get to some of the details and we can obviously talk about some of the other issues that are happening in the in the industry. Jim. I'll admit I might be a little distracted this
Speaker 2: week.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying it is beat Iowa week, it's Iowa Iowa state this weekend and and uh so I might be just a touch distracted. Hopefully I can hold it together until we get to the weekend and try to uh to figure it out. You know, I figure after the way the Hawkeyes played this weekend, I figure if we can keep them from punting, If we can keep them from punting we might stand a chance of winning the game. It's one of the strangest things. Have you ever seen a team get to seven With a field goal and two safeties
Speaker 2: that Yeah, it's not often
Speaker 1: and it's because of that punter. There's no question about it. Alright. Uh like I said, I've got Jeff cooper from our F. A. On this morning. Courtney uh up from the national pork board is also going to be on the show today. We've got a great lineup including I will be remote at a wetland at a wetland in Iowa Waverly Iowa on thursday this week. And the Iowa corn is uh is sponsoring that show. We're gonna be talking about some of the the benefits and um of wetland restorations and what it means for nutrient runoff and so on. So
Speaker 2: I want to be like that today. In fact, shortly after this program, I do my quarterly taxes UGG. And once again, it tells me that it's taxpayers that pay for all these transfer payments. The government just implements these programs. So my and other people's taxes help pay for needed things needed things. I'm not needed things.
Speaker 1: Let's let's spend wisely. Not, not just broadly, not just broadly. Let's spend wisely. Jim. Thank you so much, buddy. Have a great week. Keep watching for those signals.