Speaker 1: Good morning, it is a chilly monday april 18th, 2022 this is dc signal to noise since we last talked E. P. A made some important decisions regarding the availability of E 15 which started some, many fires for the industry to put out. Fighting continued in Ukraine were basically just waiting for Mariupol to fall into Russian control and early start to spring planting, slipped into the past may corn overnight, $8.01 half cents. The cubs went on a six game road trip and came back with a 500 road record. Happy tax day. I'm agritalk host chip Flory. Good morning. Pro farmer policy analyst Jim Louis Mayer, how are you today buddy?
Speaker 2: Pretty good. The nationals continue to lose and it looks like we're just gonna, you know, train players to be sold to other teams. You
Speaker 1: know, there's in some worlds, they call that rebuilding,
Speaker 2: I'm
Speaker 1: just saying
Speaker 2: we just give them away trade turner shares, er et cetera. You know, uh it's a lot like the Detroit tigers and Minnesota twins, they do the same thing,
Speaker 1: yep, yep. And then you got even Schwarber, Schwarber was a one year deal for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just it's nuts. He was a fan favorite in all those home runs and they uh well I think now we know the reason why the learners looks like they want to sell the team
Speaker 1: so they're
Speaker 2: getting high cost off the off the ledger.
Speaker 1: Exactly, exactly. Um jim I think we need to, the, the most important story out there is Ukraine and what is happening there. But I think we should probably start with the ethanol happenings from last week because President biden came to Menlo Iowa last week and, and made it official said, well, I shouldn't say made it official, at least it's official for him. Uh, said that E 15 will be available this summer, june 1 to september 15th.
Speaker 2: Yes. And then we have the, the same types of questions, what's the impact chip and with the vast majority of service stations not caring, not having E 15 pumps. Of course it's very important to Iowa in states like Minnesota. So I'm not gonna, I'm not gonna say it wasn't an important announcement, it depends on the state, but see this goes back years ago, chip, when you had a disagreement within the ethanol lobbying community about infrastructure are the lack of it, the necessary wells at stations and the, and the, uh, both E 85 E 15 pumps and uh, and that was a result really of why we got growth energy as, as a group, You know, looking back and they are still lagging behind. And I asked, I was asking, uh, in two of my speeches last week, what's the impact of this? And it's, it's really, when you look at aggregate lee again, it's not a negative, but it's relatively minimal to me. It's what we, we need to get those pumps out there
Speaker 1: right and there's some more money available for that when we talked with Secretary Vilsack last week on agritalk, Uh, he made quick mention that there is $100 million 15 available to more places. And one thing that, that I thought was interesting Jim was he said when the funds become available, they get snatched up there. There's demand for the funds.
Speaker 2: Well then they should, you know, keep making that available because again, that goes under infrastructure and I wish we would've put even more in the infrastructure bill because that's, that's major for the industry because these states like Iowa and Minnesota are doing the E-15 year round individually or at least trying to. But because they don't have the faith that the federal government is, is going to do it. But if you have the pumps that gives congress a little more momentum to go ahead.
Speaker 1: Right. Right. The other thing that secretary Vilsack said was that the $700 million dollars in covid aid for ethanol producers should finally make its way to those producers by the end of this month.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. You want, Did he say? Why it took so long?
Speaker 1: No, I just said thank God.
Speaker 2: Yes. Yes. Yes. So there's usually more answers that there's more questions than answers on biofuels policy and, and this continues to be the seen. But again, the announcement was a positive, but we we really have to keep focusing on that infrastructure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. Um, and, and I do have to mention that every time that ethanol moves back into the spotlight, uh, it's an opportunity for the haters to come out in droves, which they did this time. The focus really. And I think it's because of just kind of the way the whole thing is, is assumed. But there was an assumption that, Or there is an assumption that the reason that E-15 isn't available from June 1 to September 15 is because there's a higher potential for smog during the summer months with the 15, which is exactly the opposite of the truth. Um, there's lower emissions from E 15. There's even lower in the 20, even lower in the 30. But just sticking with the 15. It all goes back to the Clean Air Act written 50 years ago and it was worded poorly. That's the whole problem here.
Speaker 2: Which is what you're saying is we shouldn't have the requirement anyway for the summer months then. Right,
Speaker 1: well, it shouldn't be necessary.
Speaker 2: It shouldn't be necessary.
Speaker 1: Right? The waiver should the waiver should not be necessary. Uh, and i It's, it's going to be difficult to reopen 50 year old legislation, the Clean Clean Air Act and try to get that change.
Speaker 2: Not in this environment. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No. Yeah, no way
Speaker 2: not there. It's just, it's almost 50 50 split. You wouldn't be able to get it through the Senate, uh, let alone the House and you have your deniers out there, you have skill, some chip that, you know, let's say it takes more energy to make ethanol. That's, that's totally untrue.
Speaker 1: Right, Right. Just using outdated information when they, when those claims are made. Uh, another thing that is happening at the administration right now referring to the infrastructure package that you talked about, There's gonna be a tour of some of the highest ranking uh administration officials. I believe it starts this week.
Speaker 2: It does, it does. And Biden himself is going out to in a in a host of officials including Vilsack. So yeah, there and, and I applaud them for selling it because, you know, let's face it, the biden administration. But biden himself is still tanking further in the polls and uh former President Obama said at least he thinks that democrats have a story to tell. They better start telling it. Yeah,
Speaker 1: they, that's exactly right if they're gonna stand a chance this fall. Um, Hey, as a reminder to everyone, the comments tab is open on, on your page. Go ahead and click on that and you can send us a message. Good morning Melody. It's good to talk with you this morning. But you can send us a message and we'll be sure to get your comments in uh, jim anything else from from last week that you that you feel like we need to highlight.
Speaker 2: Well, we got the confirmation that the leading ceo s from the meatpacking companies are indeed, uh, were asked Uh to attend, they didn't put a specific date but before they indicated it would be an April 27 earring on the House Side Committee. So we did get confirmation on that. I think we talked about it as a spec piece on Mondays. Uh yeah you know you know monday's program. So we got that confirmation. Uh So that that could be revealing some people say that the C. E. O. S. Don't know the ins and outs that I think that they know their industry uh that they'll have staff with them. So I think it will be the hearing Jeff on on on this issue. And we're going to see if the finger pointing continues and I can't wait for that hearing to tear out some significant questions.
Speaker 1: Uh The when I had the let's talk about food prices a bit for for a moment when I had the conversation with Secretary Vilsack last week, I was listening very closely for three very specific words and I'm I'm glad that he did not say them on on a great talk but the Putin price hike a jim. I've got I've got some liberal friends and when they hear the Putin here the administration say Putin price hike. It makes them want to puke.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah because this was well both the gasoline price, it has extended the gas price. But you had what about a dollar uh increase before February 24 the the legit onset of the invasion and now are uh but yeah the food prices to they were going up and uh and now it's it's amplified because of the supply problems that you know chain problems and yes it's aggravated and will last longer as a result of the invasion war because of the market is still trying to ascertain how much of the Ukrainian crop will either not be produced or cannot be exported. And all are the alternative routes uh other ports, uh land shipments etcetera. And so that's still a question mark there. But so again I I applaud the secretary for not taking an easy way out that nobody believes
Speaker 1: anyway. Okay. Yeah. Yeah let's let's talk a little bit more about the supply chain because that shutdown than in China 400 million people was the last count that I had a
Speaker 2: Little rounded rounding a little under 400 million. But that's a lot.
Speaker 1: That's the U. S. Population.
Speaker 2: Yes. First started the best thinkers and sources, we had chips said this is going to be a major impact on the supply chain again. I mean look at Tesla's trying to get those plants up and up and running again today. By the way. Apple computer has some uh chip vendors over there even though I think they've done a good job of making their own chips. Uh And so yeah this is going to this just shows that this issue has legs on it now. We did get a report that some shipping rates have gone down this year And in fact since
Speaker 1: the U. S. In
Speaker 2: the US and since mid March. So that'll just hopefully make us products more competitive in the export market because the wheat market needs it because we're high priced and it's hard to sell us weed in the export market.
Speaker 1: Yeah us truck rates have gone down. Um I heard the barge rate market described as a collapse last week. I don't know if it was that bad or not but uh it has fallen significantly. Uh One of the things that I wanted to focus on here jim is that they are not moving food from ports into the interior for that a huge number of people. Uh the food shortage conversation not not just around china but around the world I fear is going to ramp up in the week ahead and that you could have an impact on on on some potential decisions made in in D. C. Going forward.
Speaker 2: It will. And now the I. M. F. And World Bank are having their spring meetings all of this week
Speaker 1: and
Speaker 2: last week. Uh U. S. Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen called for a separate meeting to look into the food price situation, supply demand etcetera. So this has the highest levels uh attention. This is not going to go away anytime soon. And even in the US we're going to have with logistics concerns etcetera we're going to see USDA keep increasing their food price forecast.
Speaker 1: Yeah tell me more about the I. M. F. And World Bank meetings that are happening this week. Is it in D. C.
Speaker 2: Yes it's in D. C. Each year and every Tuesday uh they issue the world economic outlook report. So we're going to see them go down in a number of countries and especially china, we saw china come out with their GDP first quarter number literally overnight, you know monday at the time and it was 4.8% a little higher than what the trade thought. But below their so called goal of 5.5%. But they're they're downturn is going to continue now are less growth than they want because of the problems we said earlier in shanghai and other countries. But with the I. M. F. And World Bank in town you're gonna see a lot of updates over the next few days under the U. S. And european economies and the impact of this war. Just just you know, continuing to uh unfold and on the food policy area. I think that they're going to plead with countries not to re uh restrict uh there uh exports. I think that'll be a clear message out of yelling and and her and and her counterparts.
Speaker 1: Well which gets me to another topic that I wanted to discuss, there's going to be more conversation about. Listen if the price of food is going up in the US, let's not send as much overseas.
Speaker 2: It always happens,
Speaker 1: yep, yep. Uh huh. The odds of putting some sort of a restriction on US exports still very low
Speaker 2: low. But I will tell you the pressure will be severe if you have a U. S. Corn and our soybean crop below trend yield chip. Because then then what over $8 what are you talking about for corn? And and then I I we're going to have to reassess at that juncture and it's too early. We're into this to season that I always call too much rain, Too little rain. Too much heat, too little heat. And we've got to go through that for, you know, you know, price volatility. But if you're in a while I don't care whether you're a republican administration or democratic administration. Uh when you hear the pressure on food prices, its attacks just like gas is a tax and they hear it and they usually want some way to alleviate it.
Speaker 1: Right. Right, okay, let's go to the southern border texas. Governor Abbott is feels like he's taking this problem into his own hands.
Speaker 2: Uh Your Abbot?
Speaker 1: Yes,
Speaker 2: Well two things that he's chipping off people to Washington D. C. That's coming into the border and I always find that amusing and insightful that we have to feel it here as well. And he uh he did for a couple of days and the and the pressure got so severe restricting the trucks coming in from Mexico Jeff and that was really affecting the US poultry market for, in, in, in, uh, in particular. And the truckers, uh, jobs because they have to sit in line for so long. So that's been alleviated as of friday. So, uh, it looks like they're rolling again for the 22 country trade. But on the immigration front, yes, texas is, uh, trying to deal with this. And you have a number of democrats, the moderate democrats who are, who are going to be in very close elections with their Republican counterparts saying, uh, biden's um, rule 42 is really going to add still more pressure on on the southern border. So we're gonna see ahem bridge again coming up if he doesn't back off of, of uh, of that regulation ship.
Speaker 1: Okay, alright, let's go to the comments. Melody is wondering, are there direct links between the increased soy plantings? The reduction of meat production and the introduction of miracle meets, I don't, mm hmm. Go ahead.
Speaker 2: I don't know whether I'd call a miracle. Meet you. You mean the non meat meat? Okay. Um, the, the uh, I think it's the fertilizer price primarily on
Speaker 1: this year for
Speaker 2: this year on that one. You maybe have some relative to the renewable diesel, but that's more income as well. But maybe they're getting ready.
Speaker 1: There was, there was so much, there was so much talk about the renewable diesel over the winter that I think, uh, some of the acreage increase that we got was a bit premature on soybeans. And the soybean market is trying to give some of those acres back over to corn.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And the, the ratio right now, correct me if I'm wrong, chip corn, soybeans, you no favors corn. And it's such suggests that we could have what up to another million acres more than the planting intentions.
Speaker 1: I, I think it'd be pretty easy to move two million acres from beans back over to corn.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But, but again, we're seeing a potential shift in the future for this, uh, more soybean acres. If some of these things, uh, you will pan out, especially relative to renewable diesel wherever I go in my speeches, I get a lot of questions on that topic Now. It needs, especially the sustainable aviation fuel s a f Now they're in the pending legislation in Congress, there's a dollar 25 a gallon incentive, if you will, subsidies, if you're against it for that, that that will make such fuel eventually competitive. But there's, it's still gonna be costly. But this is where the carbon mitigation becomes so important to renewable diesel. Once this country gets into full carbon mitigation policy, the airlines are going to need carbon offsets. That's where this essay f sustainable aviation fuel is going to look so attractive to them because they can buy it and have that serve as a carbon offset. And that's why you're seeing a number of of the, you know, soybean processing plants either built new are being expanded because it looks like the industry thinks this is going to go, you know, be ago chip
Speaker 1: well. But that's I agree that that's part of the reason for the for the soybean processing but S. A. F. Is an ethanol play? It A. D. M. Starting, is it in 2022? Or is it uh it may be 2023 but ADM some at some point in the near future is committing 900 million gallons of ethanol to sustainable aviation fuel production. So this is very much this is ethanol's play in an E. V. World. Okay, so if if
Speaker 2: if we
Speaker 1: make that transition to E. V. S, I'm still not convinced. Um the the play then for ethanol becomes the aviation fuel market. Uh Secretary Vilsack on on, well last week on Agritalk said that it's a 35 billion gallon market. Uh, when we talked with Jeff Cooper from the renewable fuels association, He said that it's closer to a 24 billion gallon market. When we talked with Pete Meyer from S. And P Global Platts. He said that the the ethanol production that we've got right now could produce about 8.8 I believe it was 8.8, maybe 8.9 billion gallons of sustainable aviation fuel feeding about one third of that market. So the growth potential is unbelievable.
Speaker 2: This is where you don't get to negative relative to the renewable fuel standard program. And even if you assume the continued increase, what you have been seeing and you will be seeing in electric vehicles, uh, not overtaking for a while. You know, again, all of its problems. We need a we need electric grid, major investment in our electric grid. We need those precious, uh, you know, minerals academy, um, etcetera, nickel, lithium, etcetera. But uh, this shows you the future relative to uh, you know, carbon mitigation and how ethanol and renewable diesel can play. Not just a role, a major role. And, and it's gonna be another revenue stream. There's no doubt in my mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Did you see the comment from Elon musk about lithium?
Speaker 2: In what way
Speaker 1: that all the lithium that we need? We can get out of Nevada.
Speaker 2: If if you if yeah, if it's mind,
Speaker 1: yes.
Speaker 2: And it takes roughly uh, if it's an existing producing, uh, your mind, if you will to to three years, but it takes up to a decade chips. So we we need to get going, Yeah, our country has a lot of it. So yeah, one should not get too down. But I I say in my speech is this alone should have been a reason why we stayed in Afghanistan. They're rich with some of these precious metals. And who went in in a big way after we left china. So of all the money we spent on Afghanistan and the blood of american soldiers, we should have extracted that as payment. But we didn't we didn't have a strategy
Speaker 1: from Gary with the ruble strengthening back to pre Ukraine strength or levels. What's the plan going forward also is dc taking seriously the dollar losing reserve currency yet?
Speaker 2: Uh Well they they they are taking it seriously but it wouldn't be the ruble because the ruble's gained the strength from a currency controls. There's there were no short sellers of the ruble. They denied that. And they limited the amount of rubles that could go outside the country. So uh and then he's also uh by he meaning Putin the pariah. Uh He's he's telling buyers of Russian uh energy that they must pay in rubles. So they have to accumulate rubles. Whether or not that will succeed remains to be seen. So that's a short term play. You have to look at the chinese currency as a potential competitor. But again do they have a rule of law usually for a currency like the like the british pound before the american dollar was the king currency. You have to have rule of law china really doesn't have it. And we know Russia does. So yes they they should be concerned. They're also looking at Bitcoin's but that's that's that's a uh that's you know that's just a minor irritant in in the future. As far as the who, what what currency is going to prevail at least for now? The dollar? Uh well I think easily be the world, you know, currency, but china is looking very, very closely at the uh sanctions we put on Russia relative to their use of dollars and their sanctions on the Russian banks and etcetera. So it is changing the tone of of that debate. The question is well taken, but again, there's more, you know, you no more questions and answers and what are the alternatives, Not the ruble and not the U. N. Yuan at this particular time or the MD, you know, you know, whatever you wanna call it.
Speaker 1: Right. Right, okay. Um jim as I was, I was cruising through your your comments this morning, I saw the phrase term limits. What are we talking about? Term limits?
Speaker 2: This is an interesting one. I'm going to go to my uh news, you know, section old news, they're they're a good outfit. They broke the news this morning that if the republicans, when the house, the republican leadership would consider term limits for all chairs and ranking members, not just republicans ship because republicans already have that the democrats don't. So this would mean if they did act on that representative Maxine waters of California. She's the top democrat on the financial services since 2013. She would no longer be the top democrat on that panel. Bennie Thompson of Mississippi on homeland security etcetera. I don't see there's an agriculture impact at this particular time, but this is what the republicans are telling the democrats. This is payback or potential payback for excluding some of republican members on various committees for actions that the democrats deemed unworthy for for a House members. So this, this is, could be potential major news on the structure of the House. If the republicans win, Jeff,
Speaker 1: wow, okay. Uh, that's all very interesting. Congress is still out this week. Right, But you've got the meetings in town.
Speaker 2: That's a big one. Yes, that's a big one. Earth day friday. So we're gonna have a lot of conservation oriented uh, announcements on, on friday. Tax day is today for most people, not for me, I do, uh, cattle on feed and yes, and cold midwest,
Speaker 1: you know what, it was the strangest thing, all of my apps, my radars, everything was showing that we were getting rain, we're going to get rain, we're gonna get snow and we got nothing. I was sitting under a green blob for most of yesterday, yesterday afternoon and we didn't, I didn't get a drop. It was weird
Speaker 2: this if the weather, you know how important the weather is now with the, with the demand base that we have now and the supply concerns around the world. This corn market is, it's going to be the market factor in a in a few weeks. Again. We've got time. We've got into what early june really?
Speaker 1: You don't want to wait that long,
Speaker 2: but it's increasingly going to be a market factor if you have delays.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We've already got make corn making new highs this morning. Up to 806 and a quarter is the last check that I've got december 22 corn futures 7 47.5 knocking on the door at 7.5 bucks. You've got may soybeans over $17 this morning, november soybeans Um over 1515. So 1517 and a half. We've got wheat futures trading sharply higher this morning. It's uh we've got another big move happening. Cattle market
Speaker 2: Is December 23 Corn chip questions on that when I speak
Speaker 1: right december 23 corn by the way, we had a great conversation about new crop and new new crop, cost of production with chris Baron on the afternoon show on friday that you might find interesting, december 23 corn futures, 6 68 and three quarters december 24 5 97 december 25 5 77. These are these are markets that as you've been talking about jim uh these are markets that are reflecting the need for increased production, not just for this year but into the future.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. And it's tight and also to the fertilizer. It's gonna take a while to get that cleared up as well.
Speaker 1: No doubt about it. Jim If you're wrapped up. I'm wrapped up. You're good to go. Alright. Thank you so much. Have a great week. Everybody keep watching for those signals.