Speaker 1: Good morning it is monday october 10th 2022 this is D. C. Signal to noise since we last talked opec plus countries cut output by a reported two million barrels per day. The ingram barge company declared force majeure due to low water levels on the Mississippi River. President biden warned of a nuclear Armageddon. The september jobs data was strong enough that traders anticipate a rate hike. The baseball post season got underway and ended for some teams. My cyclones can't put the dad gum ball in the end zone and election Day 2022 is just 29 days away. Jim Wiesemeyer pro farmer policy analyst. Happy columbus day Jim. I'm not not surprised to see you at work even though today is a federal holiday.
Speaker 2: Our indigenous day. We have to Yeah, a little walk there. I was so depressed over the weekend when the Cardinals lost two straight that I went out and bought a series eight. I watch, I watch, I watch, I watch. Uh, so I'm happy again.
Speaker 1: Well okay, you know sometimes you know the old saying is that you can't buy happiness but evidently that's that's not
Speaker 2: true. I think that's a myth.
Speaker 1: Welcome to you all. You all glad that you are with us. I'm agritalk host chip Flory and uh Good morning Melody. Melody already gave us a shout out there in the comments tab if you want to be part of the conversation or have any questions for jim or me go ahead and put them into the comments tab and we will try to answer them and if we can't answer them today, I'll make sure that jim stays on it and find you an answer by this time next week.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And chip before I forget, I'll be evening, I'll join a number of people at a nice restaurant. My favorite one, actually one of my favorites, you know, try to real Alberto up on the hill, uh, to meet and greet texas A and M. Honor students and we do this twice a year. David Wasserman will be there Jeff Harrison. And I always look forward to see the young people coming into the act sector.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's, that's outstanding. Um, I, I would like to get a report on the conversation. We don't have to get into the details, but just the topics that they want to discuss.
Speaker 2: It will
Speaker 1: be interesting. Yeah. Uh, jim let's start with one of the, with some of the things that happened last week and the, The move by OPEC plus to cut oil output two million barrels per day. Uh, this is really painted President biden and his energy policy into a corner, hasn't it?
Speaker 2: Very much. And it's got more than a few democrats worried that, uh, the energy prices, although down today a little bit that's prob Taking because we had a rather sharp increase in both the us and you know, Brent crude oil last week chip and I think most of the analysts I've talked with within the oil industry say you're heading at or near $100. And that means continued higher gas prices in the United States. And you know when you see that every day those big signs on price per gallon and that will have political implications
Speaker 1: basically what Opec plus is doing here is they are taking off of the market. What the administration put onto the market by pulling stocks out of the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, correct?
Speaker 2: Absolutely. And and and it could
Speaker 1: have saw that coming jim.
Speaker 2: Yeah I know and it's a geopolitical pushback on biden. You know, earlier this year, you know he went over with fist in hand and uh you know encouraged them to increase production and they've done the opposite. So uh the frazzled relations between our country and Saudi Arabia is getting worse. Not better. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So let's stay on this for just a bit because aren't some aren't some members of the Senate considering a piece of legislation that would basically say no what is it? No. Opec
Speaker 2: opec it's been it's been bandied about before. But you know you have to go to the W. T. O. Give me a break that'll be several years in the making. So it but they are reviewing where everything's on the table including export controls. Again price controls basically price controls and Wall Street Journal this morning has an excellent article basically concluding price controls don't work. And history shows that but they have some short term gains. But long term you'll have lower lower prices than you would have otherwise, at least in the U. S. When you're trying to control price. I mean higher prices.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I was gonna save this for a little bit later in the conversation, but as long as we're there talking about what the biden administration is considering, which is everything is on the table. National Economic Council director brian de suggested that one of biden's options could include banning exports of american oil.
Speaker 2: It's just that you talk about a slap in the face to eu I don't think they're well they shouldn't do it. But if they do do it, we have more geopolitical problems. They're just not an easy solution. Short term solution here because of the inability of our energy policy not to have encouraged us oil production. Uh, and you're seeing it in the output chip, we should be well above in the million barrels per day had we continued the energy policies under the prior administration, That's that's obviously
Speaker 1: well, and I think you can argue that if we would have continued to produce and now there would have been some ebbs and flows in production based on demand caused by the shutdown. I I I understand
Speaker 2: that.
Speaker 1: Exactly. But if we would have continued to grow the industry as it was growing, we would probably be in the 15 million barrel per day range. Something like that. Uh I don't think I, this may be saying too much check me on it. I don't think we'd be looking at Putin's invasion of Ukraine because he wouldn't have any leverage.
Speaker 2: Uh, it, I think you make a point that, and for other reasons, the afghan can pull out with the energy policy coupled with the early days of the threats. Remember when Russia was threatening, uh, some of the thing, things that biden and, and, and his administration officials said gave Putin a clear uh, confidence to invade and actually many people in the biden administration thought it would be over in a week.
Speaker 1: Right, Right, okay. Also on the list of things that the biden administration is considering, even though we just said, and I mean, this has got to be understood that the reason that opec plus cut is because the administration was releasing oil from the spr, they're considering additional releases from the Spr to counter this move. Does the ball not keep rolling if that happens?
Speaker 2: Well, there's, there's murkiness on that because it's been said they're looking at 10 more million barrels in the month of november. We don't know again, I want to clarify, I sought a clarification and others as well whether that's part of the original, remember the 180 million barrels or not. They, they initially said at the White House that was going to end at the end of october, but now they're saying they're gonna piecemeal this into november, but I'll tell you something, the energy people tell me uh you know, chip is that when you go further into that reserve, it's oil, that's harder and harder to process
Speaker 1: to
Speaker 2: Refine. So it's not gonna be as easy as those first around 200, you know, million barrels are
Speaker 1: um they're also considering a tax holiday. I don't even want to really get into that too much
Speaker 2: because
Speaker 1: exactly uh the the Fed chairman and the Fed governors are jawboning down economic activity by talking about how much pain there's going to be. Well there the administration is trying to jawbone down gas prices by blaming those retailers out there and saying doggone it, you're buying gas cheaper than what you're selling it for. Well,
Speaker 2: you can just go, I'm working on my new speech Power point and there's one line I have is uh price gouging charges by the administration colon, pick your industry. You know, we've seen them price gouge about the meat industry, about the fertilizer industry, about the seed companies and of course the oil.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Um and of course then this last one, the highest gas prices in the country are in California. Um and a big part of that is because of the taxes, the state taxes on it. So to counter that uh Governor Newsom is considering additional taxes on the processors and Refiners to beat down gas prices saying you're making too much money, so we're gonna tax you more
Speaker 2: where those taxes
Speaker 1: going to end up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he could end the consumers gas tank. Yeah, he could lead a country in europe with that philosophy. It's
Speaker 1: just it's
Speaker 2: unbelievable what you think, He's not going to run for president. He's, you know, and plus they're giving out in a tax rebate checks to every California over $1000 Jeff. So he's laying the groundwork.
Speaker 1: Okay. Uh, a couple of other things from last week before we move forward, biden warns of a nuclear armageddon. Uh,
Speaker 2: the leader of France came after, you know, our our president and said, you know, pull it in, you, you shouldn't be doing that. And uh, the White House hold it back into the degree that said there's been no change in the US security people thinking about Russia. Well then why did he say it? I know it was to a private funders, but he should know anything you say in this country gets out and it's, you know, a president. Yeah, I hate I I respect the presidency. So, you know, this is uneasy times for me the last few years, but uh, you're supposed to instill confidence in your in your nation, not high anxiety and there's more than a few people, uh, you're worried about this, you know, statement
Speaker 1: Jeff. Uh, it's uh, you know, and you're you're right because uh President trump was known for making his, you know the over the top comments as well. Uh, but he caught a lot of crap for it for doing it now. We've got another president that is making over the top comments
Speaker 2: continued. We got a quick question here that I can answer. What's the of labor unions ratifying the rail agreement? Any concerns that will impact harvest logistics first. Even if it were to go awry, they would continue talking. So I don't see anything that would impact harvest logistics from these talks. There's other things that will impact
Speaker 1: that they'll continue talking and they will continue running the rail service.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, absolutely.
Speaker 1: The the I wouldn't say a bigger concern but an equal concern is the level of the Mississippi river and and what's happening to the barge operators. I mean ingram barge company had to declare force majeure just because they can't get things done. Now it's my understanding that over the weekend some of the pinch points have been widened and reopened and the backlog is starting to flow again. But it's this is we we are we are going to prove the value of that river to the grain markets and to agriculture and to the economy this fall is what it looks like to me.
Speaker 2: Yes, and Kirby if you don't get pro farmer, you should. But if you don't email me and I'll send you what we put out on the pro farmer dot com site on the update of those labor union talks. Just my last name at gmail dot com and I'll send it to you. My
Speaker 1: last name. Yeah, that's easy. Some would call it weasel,
Speaker 2: meyer
Speaker 1: call it
Speaker 2: it's easy chip. W I E S E M E R every letters and E except
Speaker 1: except for the second
Speaker 2: one.
Speaker 1: That's that's right, that's right. One last one from last week, the jobs growth came in. Uh, it slowed on a month to month basis because you know, July was 500,000 plus something. Uh the august was 300,000 plus. Now we're 2 50 to 60. So the rate of gain is slowing, but it's still strong enough. The jobs market is still strong enough that the, the odds of a 75 basis point increase at the early november. Fed meeting is actually went up
Speaker 2: About 85%. Around 85%. Yes. And then maybe a 50 basis points for the next one in December. But bottom line chip, the Fed watchers tell me they're gonna, you will have to see those job growth plunged to about 50,000 before the Fed gets comfortable there, there, go there after the labor market. Where after boosting it for well over a year. Uh they want to, they want to see the numbers go significantly down and stay there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they want to hurt, they want to hurt it
Speaker 2: first. They
Speaker 1: do. And
Speaker 2: you know, by the time you do that, that's the fear that that they would have, they would have gone too far asked. That's the conundrum and that's why a soft landing, it's hard to get at. The odds have gone up for a hard landing. It could get bro for the first quarter next year. It really could not only here, but around the world we have I. M. F. And World Bank uh, meetings this week and tomorrow. We're going to get an update from the International monetary fund on the economic projections, us china, the world etcetera. And that's gonna be ugly as well.
Speaker 1: Over the weekend, let's move on to that. The bridge in Crimea that connects to the Crimean peninsula. Has anybody claimed responsibility for the, you can't call it destruction, the damage to the bridge.
Speaker 2: Uh, no, but uh, it's all signs do point to Ukraine. Uh, there, there's, you know, I don't know what the word for it is, but they're Secret Service and Putin is already declared it was them. And and now he's being pressured big time for a big comeback retaliation. And you saw some of that uh, overnight where he bombed Kiev the capital for the first time in many months.
Speaker 1: Right? Um, it feels like we're into a period of escalation in the conflict again as we get closer and closer to cold weather.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And let's connect dots, Jeff here, that means, uh, the the odds have gone up that you will not see an extension or an expansion of the Ukraine export uh, agreement. And because of your Russia and Putin and that's why you have what the grains are up substantially.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. In the overnight trade we was 30 to 35 cents higher, corn was 7 to 8.5 cents higher. Soybeans even came along for the ride traded about 25 cents higher in the overnight.
Speaker 2: So we cover all this in our daily report because there are market connections with policy.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, absolutely. Um Okay. Obviously something that we have to continue to watch very closely there also over the weekend, the White House issued sweeping restrictions on selling semiconductors and chip making equipment to china.
Speaker 2: And it's got china's attention to. Uh and as they go into uh the 16th begins there about a week party congress. And it's big because they have it every five years. And that's gonna be critical chip to see China's reactions not only to the chip uh issue from the U. S. But also if g. Gives any clues on Taiwan during his speech, which usually lasts 2 to 3 hours, by the way, Uh on the 16th. And we're also gonna look at the lineup of the officials with him on the stage because there's, you know, big changes going on at the top level of, you know, China's government. But any comments he makes on Taiwan will be uh microscope as to for uh if and when and how if and when and how he's going to deal with Taiwan?
Speaker 1: Yeah. It we've we've covered 22 of these meetings now with g correct
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: And each of them coming out of it has been high, there's been some high anxiety coming out of it. Just in in in uh putting perspective on exactly what the actions mean for the world and the global economy going forward. and the anxiety is pretty high already going into this one. Jim. It's
Speaker 2: absolutely and pro farmer has several china watchers and I can't wait for their assessment after his speech because again, it's going to be an important element.
Speaker 1: Okay, Before we get to some of the issues coming up this week, let's go ahead and get to Gary's question here, he says, um, is what the Netherlands are doing by buying out the top polluters, ultimately the end goal of E. S. G. That being environmental, social governance.
Speaker 2: Uh There's both uh that could be an element, but uh you have pushed back here big time with more republican leaning groups against the uh E. S. G. And now you have some states uh you know, uh signals to companies that that they will withdraw their funds of, you know, certain groups, uh if if if they continue
Speaker 1: pulling money away from a bank, which bank was it?
Speaker 2: I got it cut it in today's looking
Speaker 1: down
Speaker 2: at the very let's see lina south Carolina polls money from Black rock. Over.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And this is money. This is not, you know, the state's treasure plans to withdraw $200 million so they're pulling their investments to punish the firm over its commitment to environmental investing policies.
Speaker 1: Yeah and and Black rock is maybe not the most uh forward facing on this but they they have endured. They have embraced the E. S. G.
Speaker 2: For
Speaker 1: for the future and the states are basically saying you're going the wrong direction with this.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And most of the ag meetings I go to, this comes up as a as a threat.
Speaker 1: It should
Speaker 2: yes it's always on the agenda.
Speaker 1: It absolutely should come up every time. I mean this is uh We talk we talk about why okay the number of of started but uncompleted oil wells. Is that like at the lowest level since 2014? Okay. Yeah but the reason the reason it is is because we're not starting any more wells. And part of the reason for that is there's still a lot of independent drillers out there that have got to go and get money and operating loans someplace and they can't get it because of the E. S. G. Governance
Speaker 2: you know and that's called a conundrum.
Speaker 1: Oh it's called we it's called solar better work win better work because if it doesn't at some point we're going to get cold
Speaker 2: and Venezuela better step up their production because the White House is talking to
Speaker 1: them. Oh my goodness. Okay. Another big one for this week. We've got prop 12 before the Supreme Court of the United States tomorrow. Jim give us uh
Speaker 2: well we have a background or a guess again on this on pro farmer dot com. But bottom line it's it's gonna be can California dictate the policies of all the other states and uh they're gonna huff and puff uh tomorrow uh at the Supreme Court we probably won't have the final ruling until sometime next june but this is big chip for the pork industry because if California was successful, this would be used a template to come after other issues within the ag sector. Uh The animal rights people uh are are are presenting their case on this one from that perspective, it's better for the animal but that's being challenged by people who actually raise hogs on on that.
Speaker 1: Okay. Exactly. And this is I mean this is the headline item of the week for us because of what it means, It's going to set the precedent on how this is going to go forward. Um We talked last week about the importance of lotus and and how important the case was last week and doesn't this just You know Phil time before we get to the next uh conflict or or court case regarding lotus aren't we in 10 years from now going to be talking about the final rule in defining the waters of the US.
Speaker 2: I think so I think because they're going to define better rather than keep it nebulous for the courts like the last time on the waters of the U. S. They're gonna try to narrow narrow the definition
Speaker 1: of Exactly
Speaker 2: that would be good.
Speaker 1: Yes. So in other words in 10 years, I don't think we're gonna be talking about what the rules of the waters of the US are because it's going to be settled by this definition. So you know that the the issue on how states can influence production, of you know with animal agriculture in other states I think is going to be settled by this decision, isn't it? Jim.
Speaker 2: Yes. And let me, yes for the listeners and viewers when you read stories about tomorrow's meeting like last week's on wall this uh some people can give too much weight on the types of questions the Supreme Court justices asked, that doesn't mean a signal inherently to how they're going to vote. Some some justices like to penetrate uh one's argument uh for for further understanding. So it's a little dangerous to predict, you know, it's it's like predicting the U. S. Corn and soybean crop based on the weekly crop developments. You know, it's it's it's a method but still you can't peg that crop, you know based on on those ratings similar to the Supreme Court. So don't miss read too much into the questions
Speaker 1: but let's certainly pay attention to the questions that are asked.
Speaker 2: Yes. Well on Walters as we said, I think last week, I think it all depends on john roberts because he's more of the swing. But even if he were to vote uh more for the more expanded Walters definition, he has to bring on at least one other conservative justice member and that, that is unlikely. So that's why most of the ag sector lawyers I've talked with on this, see a narrower definition. That's the bottom line. Watch john roberts, the head of the court.
Speaker 1: Okay. Um, just very quickly on this, the Department of labor is expected to unveil the final H two a worker rule updates that's gonna come on october 12th jim uh something that, that we're gonna have to watch fairly closely there as well,
Speaker 2: yep.
Speaker 1: Okay, uh Wednesday also on October 12 we get the crop production and world egg supply and demand estimates
Speaker 2: yes and big world numbers two on that one. And and as brian on pro farmer said, we could get some big balance sheet changes here,
Speaker 1: relatively recent
Speaker 2: reports we should. And so, you know, you can quibble with what what USDA says about crop numbers, but they're still the one that the trade bounces off of once they are released, but we're also going to have to see those south american numbers to on crops chip.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. On october 13th the house select committee investigating the january 6th 2021 capitol Hill riots Is going to hold its next public hearing. I think the most important thing that I saw in your update on that Jim. Is that a summary report has been rumored to be released ahead of the November eight elections?
Speaker 2: Yes. The final report after November eight elections. But you think they're gonna not release preliminary summary? They will.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And the timing on that is going to be very
Speaker 2: interesting.
Speaker 1: Uh september producer price index comes on
Speaker 2: producer Wednesday thursday.
Speaker 1: Yes,
Speaker 2: big
Speaker 1: big
Speaker 2: reports because they're data driven now. And uh, they're they're they should have been focused a year ago on inflation now, they're absolutely focused on it and it just one month won't change them, but they they've got to see the core uh, rates coming down consistently.
Speaker 1: Right? Um, earlier I mentioned that there is another federal Open market committee meeting early next month. It's actually november november 1st and second. Just a day a week. Excuse me, a week before Election Day. So, uh, still looking for that 0.75% increase on that. Uh
Speaker 2: Why it's important ship? If if well, when not if when they go first, lower than 75 because that'll show again lower. So it's the beginning of the pivot. You know, we're
Speaker 1: not there yet.
Speaker 2: First quarter of next here. If then.
Speaker 1: Right. Right, okay. Uh, you mentioned this earlier. I'm just another reminder I. M. F. And World Bank annual meeting begins in Washington today. Uh We get the Fed minutes from the last meeting on Wednesday. Uh,
Speaker 2: always important because it shows how the attitude of the Fed members, right?
Speaker 1: Exactly. And it seems like there was one last one that I wanted to mention. Uh, oh yeah. And and we did talk about this earlier that the grain deal between between Russia and Turkey and Turkey and Ukraine expires in november. But it looks like the U. N. Officials are going to try to keep that deal going heading to Russia later this this month to work on a deal to extend that deal.
Speaker 2: Yes. And Putin has been even before this bombing of the bridge has been saying it should go to truly DD countries not to, you know, company, you know, not to countries that can pay outright for it. Like in europe, I guess he he meant and back on the I. M. F. And World Bank uh, the Financial Times this morning reported that the U. S. And Germany are publicly pushing the World Bank to do more to address climate change. So there's your policy murph ng into uh, you know, financial institutions. Jip.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Gotcha. Gotcha. I'll give you 30 seconds. Anything else that you feel like we missed?
Speaker 2: No. Other than working on my next power point. I'm trying to be upbeat, but it's awfully hard to, so I'll we have to go through tell you there's not much more. I can buy, I will say this after we go through this. It's gonna be really rough over the next quarter or two and you have to get the low to start going up and at least I see it sometime next year. But lot lot of concerns out there chip from more from a geopolitical perspective. We're
Speaker 1: in very good,
Speaker 2: very good. We're
Speaker 1: going to talk more about prop 12. Uh and the Supreme Court hearing that is arguments that are going to take place tomorrow on this mornings. Agritalk. We're also gonna have a report from machinery pete. We'll talk about the importance of getting out there and scouting for S. C. N. Of course this afternoon we've got john Payne from hedge Point Global. That's this afternoon at 206 on a great talk. Thank you so much for spending some time with us here this morning and have a great week. Keep watching for those signals.