Speaker 1: Good morning. It is monday March 14th 2022. And this is dc signal to noise. Alright, since we last talked, the war in Ukraine has intensified. Gas prices have gone up sharply in just the last week. They were going up even before that, but obviously they have gone up even more since the, since the invasion has intensified and the brutality has intensified, clocks sprung forward. Jim commodity classic has come and gone. Market's volatility, input costs, Russia's actions in Ukraine inflation. They were all topics of conversation in new Orleans last week. I'm agritalk host chip Flory. That is pro farmer policy analyst. Jim Wiesemeyer. Good morning jim. Good morning. Alright. So not only is the baseball season back on, But they plan to play 162 games in the preseason deals that normally happen at the winter meetings are happening Joe.
Speaker 2: Yes. And even the Nationals kinda slugger, I forget his name. Uh but uh and he'll be probably are designated hitter and there were some other big moves from the Yankees and the twins. And even in football. Uh Yes, he got it for the race, but he's coming back to uh paul.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tampa Bay got a new quarterback, it's the old guy. But yeah, but they got a new quarterback and I gotta say this. Alright, the basketball tournament is back in full form. Okay, so here's the deal. Go to agweb dot com. And then the trending items at the top of the page, you will find bracket buster challenge, click on that. Get in on the fun. Jim. Wiesemeyer has so generously donated 1000 bucks. That'll go straight to the winner of the bracket buster 500 to second place to 52 3rd place and get involved in the fun. It's gonna be a lot of fun. Alright. Have you got to pick jim for the, for the tournament?
Speaker 2: Well, not really, but I'm rooting for Virginia tech, but they're not going to win it.
Speaker 1: Okay. Alright. My head, my head says Arizona. Um, I really like that. I really like the way that Iowa team is playing right now. They're very, very good. Uh, but do not underestimate what could happen from Durham with Chef Ski on his way out and they could, they could get on an emotional tidal
Speaker 2: wave and
Speaker 1: ride it right into the end. I know they lost that final game of the tournament and the, the conference tournament, but it's a new deal when they, when, when it's uh, this time of the year and, and you're a Duke blue devil. So
Speaker 2: right.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, absolutely there in it. Yeah, that's, that's a really good team that got beat in the first round of the conference tournament. But you know, it uh Uh it, it can happen there too. It can happen there too. There's 10 or 12 teams that could pretty easily win the thing. Okay. Uh, let's take a look at a couple of things that were announced on friday and and USDA Secretary Vilsack was, was fairly active on friday when he was that commodity classic. Uh, number one thing that I saw on the list jim was that they announced they are seeking information on the competition, the investigation into input prices.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes for both, not only of course fertilizer, but for seed, we finally got some more information on seed and various sectors in the food industry. And later on friday they put out a statement chip, but they added some links to it. So if you go on pro farmer dot com, we have all of those links on the questions they're asking and things like that. So we finally have some more information but it was loaded along with what the $250 million in aid relative to expanding the fertilizer sector sector in the, in the retail distribution end.
Speaker 1: Right, right. Yeah. The that industry over the last, well since 2008 has gone through so many changes, you know, they, the entire industry thought they had it all figured out and exactly, the the delivery model that they should be using on the fertilizer and then they changed it overnight. They got beat up by holding inventory And that the high priced inventory that they couldn't even sell at a low price in 2009, And as a result of that, uh, we've, we've found ourselves in a situation now where there there are no guarantees that the supply that, That farmers need in the spring of 2022 is actually going to be available. The scoop, farm journals. The scoop has the story out that by Rhonda Brooks, she talked with some folks down at commodity classic last week and the estimate is that there's going to be about half of the fertilizer available this spring. Jim.
Speaker 2: Will that be reflected in the march planning intentions or will it be a traditional? This is what farmers hoped to plant?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I I think it's going to be very much this is what they intend to plant. And right now if I was a farmer and I didn't have, I had my fertilizer paid for, but I didn't have physical, You know, I didn't have a hold of the inventory quite yet. My intent, my, my expectations would be that I would plant 100% of my, my crops. Um, so I would think that the, that the survey that, that USDA is doing right now. I talked with lance Honig last week down in commodity classic. And the survey is going to look for that in in the mail and make sure that you fill that out and get it turned back in.
Speaker 2: Pro farmer has an acreage survey. Maybe if we get enough respondents, uh, you know, this week, they'll uh, they'll release some information at the end of the week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be great. That would be great. And you know, the fertilizer prices just keep going up the green markets. Had the some data out here this last week that showed that Yeah, what was it another 16% increase? And and Brazil is going up even faster than we are?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's uh it's it's gonna be it's gonna have an acreage impact, there's no doubt about it and we've yet to price that in. I don't think we have.
Speaker 1: Right. Yeah. The question that that was and and this decision is so individual but on a farm by farm basis. Uh But the idea is, do you fertilizer, do you fertilize only what you can with what you've got or do you just run it thinner over the same number of acres?
Speaker 2: Well, my cousins are telling me in in prior years when this happened, although not like this year, they lightened up on their best soil and still put uh more amounts in on their lower yielding uh soil chip. And I guess that makes sense,
Speaker 1: yep, yep. Um Tanner has jumped into the comments section already here, Gemma. And if you would like to participate, you've got the comments tab over on the right side. It'll open up a uh a dialog box for you at the bottom of the page, Tanner says on Fridays agritalk, it was mentioned that some countries are limiting exports of fertilizer and wheat has the U. S implemented limiting exports in the recent past of strategic commodities. Could limiting certain export products become a topic of discussion to curb inflationary pressures domestically.
Speaker 2: Well let's go briefly through history under President Nixon, you had what they called sales suspension, in which he asked at the time, Israel and Poland uh to suspend their purchases of U. S. Soybeans until new crop became available. Uh And that was kind of the first time. And that sent the signal to south America to expand acres. And then you had the carter grain embargo. Uh And that was really major against the then, you know soviet union. Uh And then we had in interspersed in that when it was the soviet union ship, we had the great american grain robbery where the soviet union came in and bought so much wheat and beans etcetera that we had a purchase agreement with them to to watch their monitor. And actually that's when the export sales reporting system started. So can they put those in? Yes. Should they? Absolutely not. I hope they I hope we don't go back to that. But they definitely can. And the pressure is going to be there, especially coming from lawmakers. You saw it early on under the liquefied natural gas where you had a number of senators wanted to stop the exports of lng
Speaker 1: right jim I think maybe the key to tanner's question here is could limiting certain export products become a topic of discussion to curb inflationary pressures domestically. I don't think there's any question they're going to talk about it.
Speaker 2: Talk about it,
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Alright.
Speaker 1: Gary's in next is biden administration still looking at sanctions on India? If so, could they push into trade deals with Russia and china?
Speaker 2: Well, in the uh, they're they're closer to Russia than they are with us. And I think if people are truthful, they'll say that I don't know whether we're looking at sanctions on India because of the sensitivity of India and Pakistan. I think that they will tread lightly. Especially this administration.
Speaker 1: Okay. Um, are you up to speed on the crypto currency investigation at the biden administration?
Speaker 2: Well, they're studying it usually when, when and, and I don't care whether you're Republican or democrat, when you study a problem, you're delaying your delaying it and that's why actually when this was announced. Uh, what about a week ago Kryptos actually went higher because they were they were they were worried that there would be that would be more imminent regulations on on on the Cryptocurrency. So we have to see what they're going to come up with. But for now it wasn't as owner assessed the crypto industry thought,
Speaker 1: right, okay, so Gerry's second part to that question. Was there just studying it. But he says the Hamiltons project was done by the Federal reserve last november and it said that we are closer to a cashless society than we think
Speaker 2: we're moving closer. I know most people, I don't hardly ever use cash anymore, do you? I just don't, you know, so I guess it depends where you're from and what you're used to, you
Speaker 1: know? No, I'll admit I use the card quite a bit more now than, you know, my debit card because it's got that chip that you just hold it up to the machine and it reads it. Yeah, that's pretty
Speaker 2: dangerous.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. Good grief, It's pretty easy. Thanks tanner and thanks Gary for getting involved in the conversation, appreciate that. Uh, okay, jim Where to next? What, what is the house in the Senate? Well, the House and the Senate are both in session this
Speaker 2: week. We will get the White House initially announced late last week that they're going to rescind the permanent normal trade Relations PNTR with Russia. Now, Congress wanted to act earlier last week, but the White House told them to hold off, I'm not quite sure why. Maybe he was working out language with the european union, but since he's announced that now the Congress will follow suit and chip, there's bipartisan support for that. So, you will see, uh, you know, you know, you know, that be approved by Congress this week. I know in the House, they will Now, what's the impact of that? Uh, we're, I think Russia is about the 23rd country we trade with, as far as numbers are concerned, but it will allow them tariffs will go up on a number of products, vodka, etcetera. So that just gives them the wherewithal to really crush from a US Russia trade perspective. And and it's gonna come up, that's one area. Uh, you know, I am picking up problems in among the House democrats on getting enough votes for a covid aid package. You'll recall that last week. Pelosi is the speaker from California had to pull out the covid aid package because she had some inner party rivalries going on the amount, the offsets, etcetera. So, you know, I'm not quite so sure they're going to get that done this week. But you know, you know, you know, those are the two things I'm watching for. There's a few nominees up that will probably um probably be approved. But the big thing on the economic front ship is the FOMC meeting. This will be the first week in many years that will have an interest rate hike. It's well expected to be 25 basis points. I think it should be higher myself. But uh, but then we're gonna have to listen to Fed Chairman Jerome Jay Powell, what he says in the, in the statement and what he says in the presser That he'll have afterwards, 2:30 eastern time uh to see a future interest rate increases and their game plan for for tapering the timeline, the degree they're gonna taper etcetera and their work is cut out for them because of the the the the the weight of these uh energy price run ups and other factors that are least signaling stagflation in the months ahead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely. Okay. Um we we are going to see a round of US china talks this week level talks
Speaker 2: today. Yes, that's a very important development because I always like when country officials, especially at the level that they're going to be speaking at chip talk to each other. Uh so they're they're the U. S. You heard it in the new shows on sunday. Uh they're concerned that China is going to be giving Russia military aid and other assistance. So I know that they've been talking about that privately already, but I think that they want to make clear that that would not be a good development because that would be another negative in the already thorny US china trade relationship
Speaker 1: Jim jim. Has there been any evidence out there yet that china has tried to circumvent the sanctions that the world is putting on Russia?
Speaker 2: That's a good question. They're saying no, they're saying no. And they also China has also denied that they knew what Russia was going to do Putin was going to do. But most people think that they knew generally what, but not to the degree that Putin unfolded it. So he lied to europe and he lied to china
Speaker 1: Jim. You mentioned that India is closer to Russia than it is to the U. S. There is a reason that India was buying us soybean oil as aggressively as it was weeks before the invasion happened there, it's it's it's absolutely clear now that that India knew exactly what was gonna happen and probably knew when it was going to happen. So uh it's it's uh we're so we're having to resort uh the friends and foes again around the world. And and that's always a high anxiety period.
Speaker 2: And on the weekend we have the Russians uh pelting 11 miles from Poland. Uh so that gets you into a very nervous category relative to the NATO Article five. So
Speaker 1: okay so speaking of nervous territory, what how is how is the soviet is Russia representing the U. S. In talks with Iran on the nuclear deal?
Speaker 2: Well actually the White House's backing down a little bit because Russia was serving as a negotiator between the US and Iran on the nuclear plan chip. But they were putting their own language in relative to sanctions lifting for Russia. So you can see the sensitivity of that one. And the U. S. Put out again on the news shows that there there there there they would not subscribe to that involvement.
Speaker 1: Okay. Yeah it that just seems really really difficult to believe or accept that that is is happening out there
Speaker 2: while the White House is also backing off on Venezuela now because they've caught a lot of heat from their own. You know lawmakers.
Speaker 1: Well yeah good good. Uh they absolutely should jim may be the biggest topic of discussion when it comes to the ability to get regular business done or not when we were down at commodity classic last week, was if, if Ukraine is going to get a crop planted,
Speaker 2: we had a number of developments on friday from the U N F A O. Uh and also over the weekend and uh I think he and even the president of Ukraine said to we, he implored the, the, you know, you know, farmers to go out and plant. But boy, some of the uh the interviews that Bloomberg and others have done, uh it's really gonna be dicey with reports of significant reduction in the planning especially of corn chip that came through loud and clear to me over the weekend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. The corn situation I think is is without a doubt the dicey ist and the analysts that I talk with now jim, they, you know, corn, soybeans, wheat, most feel like we've got a price friendly set of fundamentals under the market. Is it bullish from, from the price levels that we're at right now? No, does price friendly mean that the markets can't go down? Absolutely not. But as they do retreat, it will be more orderly. It will still, we will still have some excellent selling opportunities along the way and the price floor that we find heading into the 2022 growing season will probably be, quote unquote higher. So it uh it's a, it's a friendly situation I think, and I think that's what everybody's anticipating, which means we'll probably all be wrong
Speaker 2: how much, how much of all this is already factored into markets. You know, that ship. But I think what you also said is a significant dip is going to be bought because of the further uncertainties ahead.
Speaker 1: We
Speaker 2: have not, we have yet to go through our, what we always called the two season and are planning to little rain, too much rain, too little heat, too much heat. And so it's it's not gonna go straight down even if it does, you know, does go down. Which
Speaker 1: and and I was surprised to learn over the weekend that and correct me if I'm wrong on this jim. But it sounds like Russia is starting to move some product through the Black Sea again, they
Speaker 2: are, they're resuming black seaweed exports. Uh, you know, navigation and what the as of C remains restricted. So, Uh, so the Ikan said, Russia's black sea terminals loaded 400,000 metric tons of wheat last week chip and that the vessels were going in and out of the ports there. So yeah, that is a key development.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No question about it. No question. Uh, the average price of gasoline and jim, I can't believe this, but on friday on the free for all. Davis Michaelsen made the point that very quickly the the administration would be blaming the war in Ukraine for all of the inflation for all of the problems that we're dealing with. And my comment was, oh, it's too soon for that to happen. You know, it, it can't over the weekend, jen Psaki, the spokesman is all over the place saying higher gas prices are Putin's fault.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well not only do they think we are, but biden to, he's just saying blame Putin. So, uh, it's just, I know most people, including some democrats, will say, come on, It's had a significant impact. There's no doubt about it. What at least the last 75 cent run up is due to the invasion and war. But we had a pretty good water at about a dollar increase from the year before before he even went in. So yes, I just for an administration that said they were going to be transparent. I'm sorry. They're not on this one.
Speaker 1: Okay. If you want to give the last 75 cents to the war too, Putin's invasion of Ukraine, I guess I would be willing to do that. But we're more than a buck and a half a gallon higher than what we were a year ago.
Speaker 2: That's what I mean. And and Larry Summers used to be the Treasury Secretary Under Obama. He's even taken them to task for that. So I think when you look at it. But again, they're sensitive on this issue and they know that inflation is not going to go Away any time soon. In fact that we're going to get another report this week. That's going to show it near 10%. So oh, they're setting up a decoy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. The livestock, livestock producers are very concerned, cattlemen in particular are very concerned about what the impact of these, these higher gas prices are going to be on their market. Jim
Speaker 2: Well, it shows you that when you, when you Uh, why didn't you buy earlier? Because I guess they thought it was gonna go down more, you know what I mean? At least they've had the opportunity over the last 18 months to get some forward bookings on. I always say from a marketing perspective to either buy or sell. If you haven't had that opportunity, then I feel your pain, but if you had, you made a marketing decision.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. Okay. I completely agree with that. But on on the beef side of things, the market is concerned that consumers are going to be putting more dollars into the gas pump than they are at the meat case. And that balance has been favoring beef purchases for man a year and a half already or maybe even two years since the pandemic started. It's lasted longer and been stronger. The beef demand has than many thought it would be gas prices could be the tipping point that that show us some some *** in that armor and
Speaker 2: I agree and not just the Gas Wall Street Journal has a big article today that I totally agree with electricity. Americans are going to be surprised and have to gulp because of the inter relationships of electricity and some of their bills this year. Once that takes old chip. Yeah. Give me, I'm gonna look up my chicken recipes.
Speaker 1: Okay,
Speaker 2: chicken side
Speaker 1: and I can help you
Speaker 2: and pork and
Speaker 1: yeah, there you go. I can, I can help you out there. We'll make sure you're okay boy. Listen to this comment from carl, we built our economic growth on cheap food, cheap energy and cheap labor. They've all come to collect.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now we're gonna see that's why I tend to agree with that. Now we've discussed before this first started chip. Remember when I told you I believe that we're, we've ratcheted up the trading ranges for the commodities. Now we've been through these before and have not looked good saying those things like Boy, this one, it feels it's longer like we did in the 70s, those lasted by the way those lasted. So I I think the writer is correct from my perspective that we're gonna, Americans are going to see more like europe has to pay, they're going to have to pay, we've done it through a lot through income transfers through foreign policy that won't cut it anymore. That won't cut it. So I think they're going to have to pay at the grocery store as well.
Speaker 1: Jim I I just realizing we need to go back to Tanner's question about limiting some exports because Argentina is doing that, aren't they?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah they're they're they have suspended the uh export registrations I guess for both meal and uh oil now friday. I know Vilsack talked about it and others at the F. A. O. We're imploring countries not to do what what Argentina just did. That doesn't mean they'll listen and they're not. So the U. S. Will probably take the high road on that. But when these food prices get higher and higher and other aspects chip you see it in the fertilizer, their pressure mounting. And I've seen over the decades I've been in this town the white house caves to pressure
Speaker 1: bird flu jim. Uh It's not as bad as it was geez it's been several years ago now that we had the mass liquidation or depopulation of birds in Iowa but it's still out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah and I told someone this morning it's only news now when U. S. D. A. Doesn't confirm more cases. But we had another confirm HPI ai in a non commercial flock in Kansas and Illinois and a commercial flock in Iowa. So that brings the total confirmed cases in the U. S. To 30 with 18 being in commercial operations and the rest in the backyard non commercial flocks. This is just it's going to continue chip because we've we've seen the history of this one.
Speaker 1: Right friday. You said that what you are going to be watching in the week of the week ahead is Russia Ukraine. And the developments there has anything changed.
Speaker 2: Well we got that big pOW today between the U. S. And china. Uh you get Putin getting bloodier and nastier in the in the battle. So it's increasing chip, it's not decreasing. So yeah, I just this thing nobody can see an end zone yet and that's disconcerting as well. And before we forget it on the energy side, if there's anyone from michigan that's listening, tell me what is, what do I not see in your governor of not having common sense. Gretchen Whitmer wants to shut down the Enbridge line line five pipeline you know, and that carries a big chunk of fossil fuels between Canada in the US And if she prevails she's in court both at the state and federal court level to shut it down. That's going to affect consumers in Ohio michigan indiana and pennsylvania. And one study says they're gonna pay almost another $5 billion or more each year for gasoline and diesel fuel. Now the diesel fuel will get into the farm sector there. So I I just logic was just escaping me. How does she get away with those things and and be elected in michigan please Michigan people tell me, where am I going wrong on on on on studying her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, interesting, interesting jim. I think we're going to wrap things up here real quick. Okay. I just want to remind everybody out there that if you've got the nest survey, get that filled out that's on acreage and on grain stocks. And don't forget Jim Wes Myers generosity. You could win 1000 bucks from Jim Wiesemeyer. Just go to the triple W dot Agweb dot com. Look at the trending items at the top of the page, bracket buster challenge, click on that and get in on the fun when jim's money.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna get the funds from Putin are one of the oligarchs.
Speaker 1: Very good.
Speaker 2: I'm going to try to get it from them.
Speaker 1: That's right. That's right. All right. This morning, this morning on Agritalk, we've got machinery pete. And we will get an update on the situation in Ukraine from Senator chuck Grassley. Looking forward to that. Have a great week and keep watching for those signals.