Speaker 1: Good morning it is monday March 21st 2000 and 22 this is D. C. Signal to noise since we last talked volatility in the grain markets remains even with corn and bean prices Pivoting around key price levels. The Federal Reserve raised interest rates one quarter of a point spring sprung I and Iowa State University sent not one but two teams to the Sweet 16. And my bracket my bracket is in the top 10 of the agweb bracket buster challenge. I'm Agra tacos chip Flory that is pro farmer policy analyst Jim Wiesemeyer. Good morning jim.
Speaker 2: Good morning. I got my new iPhone Pearl Max 13 Green. I'm happy
Speaker 1: I've got a new iPhone 13.
Speaker 2: Is it pro max?
Speaker 1: No because I'm not special enough to have pro max.
Speaker 2: Well I was going to wait until the 14 but I went with a friend who got a new one for himself
Speaker 1: and I'm
Speaker 2: such a stop. I just couldn't resist
Speaker 1: couldn't resist it couldn't resist it. I'm telling you So last night I was on twitter a little bit during the basketball games and during the women's game, my wife and I are big Iowa State women's fans And uh we're watching the game and I made this comment about Emily Ryan having a spectacular game and her uncle tweeted me back and said I'm a little biased but Emily is having a great game. My you know my niece Emily is having a great, I couldn't believe it. It was fantastic. Fantastic. So I find out that Emily's dad is an ag teacher. I'm gonna be reaching out to him this week I'm gonna be reaching out to him this week. Absolutely. That's the good
Speaker 2: side of of of the social
Speaker 1: that that's the whole reason for social media right there. It's not for me to tell somebody why they're wrong in their thinking on anything jim jim jim jim Hey Last week March 17 marked the start of Pro farmers. 50th year of service and you've been involved in most of those
Speaker 2: most of those all. But I think six or seven years, you know the Pro farmer tried to hire me once and then I turned them down and then they came back I think a year later and offered me a trip to china that I could reach that sealed it.
Speaker 1: That sealed it up. Yeah. Um I got to be the editor of that newsletter for 17 years. Uh worked for directly with with Pro Farmer for 25 you and I had some great great times uh
Speaker 2: dancing,
Speaker 1: getting out there on the road and doing seminars and everything. My guys
Speaker 2: early days and even now and we're a print publication who has survived. And I think that says a lot right there and we've got some special issues in store. I in fact I told brian Grady the current editor today I have one that I want to call uh Pro Farmer 50 50 looking back 50 years and then looking ahead 50 years and talking with the original too owners, Meryl Foster and jerry Carlson and if you can limit them to one page, that's successful.
Speaker 1: You got that right? Yeah, no doubt. No doubt. Yeah. I'm, I'm looking forward to a big celebration in the year ahead. It's uh, it's really special. Okay. You piqued my interest before we went on the air. I'll just ask you what's going on with corn.
Speaker 2: One of my china watchers gave me a cryptic line. If you see corn limit up one day and don't really know the reason why it's china coming in. Big time to the U. S. Corn market.
Speaker 1: Well, um, last week, last week they came right out and said that they had six million tons of corn that they bought in Ukraine that they're not going to get their hands on. Um, so I, I guess it, it wouldn't surprise me if we go back to the start of the month. I had a conversation with steve freed from ADM investor services and he made a comment that the, uh, that the corn booking pace second half of march through april was going to blow everybody
Speaker 2: away.
Speaker 1: Um, so this may have been something that was scheduled, but it, we've been waiting for china to come in and buy corn for quite some time and the fact that they're not going to get that corner out of Ukraine only ups the odds. I think that it's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know, if the longer it goes in Ukraine, you know, the, the beauty about doing a a media watch chip each morning, which I do, uh, you can get a consensus of what the major media is focusing on. And today I thought this morning again, I told brian Grady, you know, boy now they're focusing on not only uh, the lack of production in Ukraine and the logistics problems, but then the fertilizer issue Canada, uh, you know, glitch with their strike, if you will or you won't work stoppage. And absolutely, and, and that just, it just jelled today. And I thought, oh wow. You know, it has hit the new york times, the Washington post, the Wall Street Journal. So, uh, I think we're here right now and heavy focus on it.
Speaker 1: Okay. Um, yeah, I, I was going to start off with the biggest question I think from last week that the markets was, was dealing with uh, is will Ukraine get a crop planted. Um, in my opinion, it's increasingly unlikely that that Ukraine is going to plant enough of a crop that they will be a player in the export market in the year ahead. I just don't see it happening.
Speaker 2: And, and their president is just pleading for for, for fuel, you know, fired. So it again, it's starting to add up and then the, the linkage on that is chip, the the F. A. O. And the United Nations is saying some of the food security problems that are escalating, especially in the emerging markets and and and less developing countries. So it's all tying in together. We haven't seen this type of food price run up since the mid seventies, so, and USDA on friday is going to come out with another food price outlook report and they're going to have to increase their food price forecast again again,
Speaker 1: yep. And we've seen the kind of increase in food prices around the globe. That social unrest, it's just a matter of time, isn't it? Jim before we see some of the vulnerable areas of the world, the hotspots, you start to show us some some social unrest,
Speaker 2: some african nations and uh you know, it's usually services in the in the Mideast and I know Egypt is very sensitive on the, on the wheat sector. One thing is India is really increasing. I think your wheat prices would be higher had it not been for India really increasing the, you know, their wheat exports. So I think that has tempered the wheat prices recently where we could have seen the high, I don't know as a result of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot of concern about the quality of that, that supply that's coming out of
Speaker 2: India. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So um I I think that's going to be an issue in the week ahead. Hey, just a reminder to everybody that there if you want to participate in the conversation this morning, there is a comments tab at the bottom or I'm sorry on the right side of the page. If you click on that, it will bring up a dialog box for you too. Jump into the conversation, which Garry already has is D. C. Taking country seriously about abandoning the U. S.
Speaker 2: Petro dollar,
Speaker 1: Petro dollar.
Speaker 2: I don't know what
Speaker 1: uh petroleum dollar, that'd be the default currency.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't not know.
Speaker 1: They're not.
Speaker 2: Absolutely not. Yeah and china now I think they're china is going to make inroads relative to the you know, Russian situation. But when you compare if you even link china and Russia, uh their economies, their trade policy, their trade etcetera versus the U. S. And our allies. It's not a close contest. Uh We would still win that one but but it's going to be tempered, there's no doubt about
Speaker 1: it. Okay.
Speaker 2: But I did want to point out chip, we have a number of more than a few southern listeners and and I caught on over the weekend. Rice world rice now is being priced in as a feed Component and it's what about 84 uh you know, you know, versus corn and protein, 84% of the protein in corn. So we could whittle down uh those uh rice stocks around the world. So I would I'm gonna watch that one in the months ahead.
Speaker 1: Okay. Yeah that's not gonna last long. Rice has been so slow to engage in the the rally, what it does just get out of its way. Don't don't stand in the way of that thing because when it finally engages in this rally, it's gonna be fireworks for the rice market. No question. Okay. Hey, tell me more about the Canadian pacific rail lockout.
Speaker 2: Well, over the weekend we had a number of provinces leaders in Canada, right Trudeau wanting him to step in. But that takes parliament in in Canada to uh okay at Chip and they come back much like the U. S. House this week in the US. I'm sorry the Senate the House is out uh that they have to come in and they're coming back today. So I know Sean Haney has told us, he doesn't think that will happen in the short term. But uh the longer it goes the more pressure it will be on their, you know, Prime Minister there, their leader Justin Trudeau. Uh So and you can see it and and but you know, those negotiations began last september chip. So, you know, it's it shows you how long these talks go on before they really get to the pressure point.
Speaker 1: Right. Right, okay. Another item that I want to focus on from from last week was the call between president biden and chinese president G what did we learn from that?
Speaker 2: Well, I learned that g focused more on Taiwan, I think he more than had more than a few words to biden about Taiwan like hands off it, we're still one country et cetera where the White House quickly spun the strong words that biden told relative to their watching relative to any any significant help that china gives, you know, you know Russia. So uh you know, they got their talking points. I didn't see any significant movement toward seeking a piece cord chip. And in fact over the weekend we saw that Ukraine turned down the latest peace overtures from Russia because they were too strident.
Speaker 1: Well Russia asked for the surrender of what is it mary up all. Um they're not, I I don't think Ukraine is going to surrender anything, are they?
Speaker 2: No, no and they shouldn't and they shouldn't. There's a Wall Street Journal editorial say uh that uh this morning saying uh um like Maggie Thatcher said to Herbert walker bush, don't get wobbly now, you know, and they're saying increase your help to Ukraine NATO now is the time because basically it's a stalemate chip. I mean they they now they're bombing there. Really raping the mirror pool. That it's it's just hard what what is going on there. Uh and that's the Russian game plan that to just pillar age uh you know, city. So and you cannot have an off ramp for their leader. Vladimir Putin in a situation like that. I think it's almost too late. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh no it is too late. It in my opinion. If if you know you see the pictures of the tanks that are abandoned because they're out of fuel.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Uh, the Ukrainian farmers backing up to them and hooking chains on and, and towing them away with tractors. It, uh, it's absolutely astonishing to see happen, what is happening and for for a period of time, jim I was thinking he just hasn't unleashed all of the fury of the Russian army yet. I'm not too sure about that now. It's starting to feel like the fury was never there.
Speaker 2: That the quality of of their military plus uh Putin is more than nervous right now of the uprisings going on in his own country against him. So he's more than looking behind his shoulder chip, if you know what I mean. And also more than a few are leaving Russia in droves because they liked the uh, the prior geopolitics uh, that they got into the global world and they're seeing a life ahead. That is not going to be fun for them.
Speaker 1: Right, Right. Um Vice President Harris went to Poland and the trip was such a disaster that they've decided to send in her boss. I I hope it goes better this time with with President biden.
Speaker 2: I think he, he at least knows talking points. I just cannot understand our articulate the problems of our Vice president and I never like to see a weak leadership in the country and she she's weak. She she's not articulate of course she has a habit of laughing at the wrong time. You know if if I was a comedian I'd want her in my audience. I'll tell you that. But I'm not a comedian. She's just she's just not not up to the job. And and I really hate saying that I really do
Speaker 1: President Ukrainian President Zelensky, he's addressed to the U. S. Congress last week. Jim uh when uh what when speaker Pelosi introduced him? It was almost as if she was she there was glee in her voice for a very solemn event. She was just she she was out of her mind that she was able to introduce Ukrainian President Zelensky. Um It was it was just strange it's it there's such a bad read on the situation from key players in U. S. Politics that I don't blame Zelensky for wondering if the U. S. Is taking the situation seriously.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well he he was direct on biden. He as the world he wants him to lead. He doesn't need to lead from behind. So we're going to see what the uh you know this morning biden is talking with our european and NATO allies and then of course then he's going to go over to brussels later for the NATO event. So let's let's let's hope our leader rises to the occasion.
Speaker 1: Yeah I hope so. I hope so for sure. You mentioned the media being focused on rising food prices probably should be. Um President biden is going to have a conversation with Exxon and I would imagine other energy producers. Yeah, he's already blamed them for high gas prices. Well, that was before he blamed Putin. So I don't know what's the guy who's, who's he gonna blame now?
Speaker 2: Well, he has to show action no matter whether or not it will have impacts or not. So that's from a white house, you know, perspective, you have to say that you're jawboning, but you know, take, you know, I, I don't have to defend the oil industry. But what I hear from them is saying, look, even on fracking, we could be up to 15 to 20% on fracking, but that won't get us out of the woods because you're not going to have a significant increase in fracking if you're given that industry the signal which the biden administration has that they're going to continue to regulate it and you cannot get investment dollars for that from, from the community when that when they're no, they're going to put shackles on you. And that's the problem. And the american public is smarter when they hear the president and others in his administration tried to blame. Putin for the gas price run up. The first dollar increase was as a result of, of a host of reasons, not just the administration's reasons, but, but a lot of it with the regulatory side, the pipeline situation, etcetera. On the on the Keystone XL pipeline, but the last 75 cents or so has been as a result of the, of the war on Ukraine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd say that's about right. I'd say that's about right on, on how you've got that split up. It's a confidence
Speaker 2: on the food angle, uh, Secretary Vilsack, who, who I think is one of the most articulate cabinet members and what we said, I said on it, agritalk on friday. I cannot imagine why the network news shows on the sunday news shows don't invite him. Yes, he would be a great news maker, because he can, he knows how to connect dots and, and, and, and he knows the the importance of exports, because when he was at the dairy industry group and, and he has seen it. So, I think we do need a leader to tie in a, a lot of aspects of this, but he's concerned about a growing number of countries that are pulling in relative to trade, stopping fertilizer exports, stopping, uh, you know, food exports, etcetera. So, we need a voice like his to say, hey, don't, don't take strident actions here, because you're gonna make it worse, not better.
Speaker 1: Right. Right. Well, Vilsack was good on trade in the last what, five years of the Obama of his term under the Obama administration. So he's he's very good on trade has, has been for quite some time. And he's good on trade right now. It's just that he's been told to prioritize in other areas.
Speaker 2: He, yeah, he's limited in the trade area, what you can say. And, uh, but he was early on saying, we've got too many eggs in one basket being china. And that was before the, you know, Russian invasion. And, and he was right there, It was an accident waiting to happen. That that that didn't mean that he he didn't want the business with china. He just knew that you're just a matter of geopolitics that we're seeing right now, that this trade is vulnerable.
Speaker 1: Right. Right, okay. Um, let's move on. The the biden budget is coming our way in a week. Uh, little we should get it next monday. What what are the, uh, the requests to change the corporate and individual tax codes?
Speaker 2: They're gonna go after the wealthy, the 1% again. And they're gonna, you know, show that again. But I don't think it's going to go very far at all. And and on the budget chip. I I just, I'm so negative in this town on budgets and not just the White House budget that it's late again, that we just got through the fiscal year 2022 budget almost six months late. You know, and I know appropriators from both political parties, hard workers, their staff, but I'm sorry. You didn't get your work done and it took you a half a year into a fiscal year. You know, it's just, uh, that whole budget process needs to be reformed, uh more like the state levels, a number of state, more than a few states get their budgets done on time. Why we can't do that in our nation's capital is beyond me.
Speaker 1: Right. Right. Absolutely. Okay. Uh, there is a movement on the right to repair issue jim.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, john Deere, I I put out a late item on john Deere. Uh, they're they're feeling the pressure there. There signaled today more open access for customers to service their own equipment. So they got to release out this morning on that one. They said they're going to offer the ability for the remote download of software updates to embedded controllers etcetera. So, I think that's pressure from the FTC chip, the Federal Trade Commission.
Speaker 1: Okay. All right. Uh, we are the Supreme Court nominee hearing is today, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Instead and go several days and I know some of the republicans are going to uh, you should always question and there are some areas in which they they should question her. But I don't think it will be nearly as visceral As it has been for the last two or 3 on the more conservative uh side, you've got um, Minority Leader mitch McConnell's probably gonna vote for her. So, yeah, I see some some uh not just showboating. I think some of the questions will be sincere, but uh I just hope it doesn't go to the visceral side and and I don't expect it will be, but you never know some senators from both political parties like to showboat when they know the cameras are there. So let's hope that doesn't happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah,
Speaker 2: I think she's in, she is going to be approved. There's your top line right away
Speaker 1: will be
Speaker 2: what?
Speaker 1: Very good I was. That's what I was gonna ask you for right there uh, to bottom line it for us here. Uh, what else jim What do you what, what else are we watching in the week ahead?
Speaker 2: Well, I know the House ag committee leadership that means on the democratic side is going to come out sometime today if they haven't already with a meat packer hearing again. So watch for that and it's not out officially yet. But I've got good sources tell me they're putting out something today for a hearing. And uh, when I called a couple of republicans on the House side committee, uh, they were not consulted. So you're going to see some press statements from them that they're not happy with this singular my insular approach of the House side committee. So that's going to develop. Uh, we have, I told you the food price update on friday that I'm going to be very curious about, but I think this week is the, I know it's probably going to be the back page. Special pro farmer is on the shipping things because a number of items jelled earlier today about the rising cost of of ours at the ports in new Orleans. You can just, you can see it in the numbers right now. And the logistical snafus from china with their Covid, it's having an impact walter.
Speaker 1: It's a
Speaker 2: big story about it. And I have a personal story that I talked about in my, in my report today. I don't know whether it's, you have to be older probably to like these shoes, but they're called zebra Z B A shoes. They're fantastic. Why are they fantastic. You can put them on and take them off without either sitting down or hurting the are bending the back end of the shoe. They're reinforced if you will now you have to be older to really appreciate that. Well, I ordered a new pair Uh more than a few days ago and they usually come within 6-7 business days. So I emailed him over the weekend. Why haven't I received them? And I got a nice email right away. They're very good company. It's due to logistic problems in China as a result of COVID-19. So now as I wrote, it's affecting a very important person. Me,
Speaker 1: this
Speaker 2: is going to continue the point chip is, we are seeing some progress. We're down to single digits under the backup in the west coast ports and that's okay. I don't like absolutely. That's a good sign. But this china thing. I mean it's, it's certain ports are really being impacted chip. That just means this uh uh, logistics problems. Supply glitches is going to go on longer than people thought.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. And and part of it is because of china's zero covid policy, if if a worker at the ports is confirmed with with having covid they're gonna shut the port down for a period of time
Speaker 2: and they have
Speaker 1: And they have and it's uh it's creating all kinds of issues. No. one Jim can't get his new pair of shoes. It's it's obviously obviously very important. Um and there is another, there is another variant that is making its way across europe so far, it hasn't been talked about much in the United States yet. Although I do know the administration is trying to get word out about this, this new variant, something that we've got to, we've got to keep an eye on
Speaker 2: now. Dr Fauci okay. Half of our listeners will just shut their ears right now. Half of them will want to listen. That's how just uh that he is. That's how it is. He said on the weekend that he doesn't think it will be as significant as the old Macron uh you know, variant. So let's hope he's right there. But prior to that he was really talking oh my goodness, we we have to be very careful again. He even intimated that we should shut down again. I thought uh the american public will not go through that again. They just won't, they just
Speaker 1: won't, That's right. That's right, okay. Jim I think we're about wrapped up here. We need to keep an eye on. The thing that I'm gonna be watching in the week ahead is I'm gonna be looking for that corn demand. That was on my my list of things to watch for first and foremost this week. And of course developments in Ukraine.
Speaker 2: Yes because the longer the war goes on in Ukraine uh the big the impacts on the ag markets and fertilizer that it increases and so it gets you into multiple year markets and that's the significant that that it grows. It has legs is what we would say in our industry chip. This story has legs because more evidence is gonna show up When you have 30% minimum in Ukraine in the war zone of their ag sector. It's already a big impact right there. Let alone look at all the people that have left Ukraine, many of them worked uh in their acts sector. And that's another angle to this. So um the dips in the market are gonna be bought and that's what it tells me because we don't know the end zone on this one yet.
Speaker 1: That's right. That's right on your fertilizer story. I think it becomes bigger this week as we start to get more and more reports that the Brazilian farmers can't get nitrogen for um for that? Safrinha corn crop
Speaker 2: and how do you pronounce the nutrient? Is it
Speaker 1: nutrients
Speaker 2: nutrients in Canada said that if this work stoppage goes much longer they're gonna have to stop or limit production because their warehouses are filled chip in that angle
Speaker 1: that
Speaker 2: their warehouses are filled in and they don't have any room so you would think they could find somewhere. But anyway these, these things have so many side angles to them that major implications and then this coming, what is it next to the 31st? Oh that's another one. I did want to talk about the the end of what what you know March 31 the planning intentions Nasa is going to make their briefing for the secretary online now that I I like that I love transparency where now I'm getting emails, will the World board do the same thing because I think the world board is really part of the nass briefing so maybe I've already answered my question but I'm I'm going to check with Seth Meyer, the economist and then Jack Yanovski, the world board chairman. But that's an interesting development. Why why even even to go back with Nasa's, why did they decide to offer them on its online?
Speaker 1: Oh it's all transparency. It's all absolutely. Um I've talked with Lance about Lance moaning about it, the chief of the crops branch there at ness and it is all about being as transparent as possible with the survey and the numbers as they possibly can
Speaker 2: them for that?
Speaker 1: Yeah the briefings are going to start five minutes after the reports are released
Speaker 2: And it's going to start with the 30th, the Hogs and Pigs report.
Speaker 1: That's right. That's right.
Speaker 2: So that means livestock included, so it's not just grains audience, it's the meat sector as well, but I think that's a significant development first time ever. You know those are always
Speaker 1: and if you, if you want to get a look at what it's what it's going to look like. Some of their past briefings are available on the Nass Youtube channel, so go take a look at it. Alright, we're gonna wrap things up with that this morning on Agritalk, we've got machinery, pete and we're gonna talk clean fuels with Donal re Hagen corn is let's call it 14 to 15 cents higher soybeans 25 to 30 cents higher. And wheat pushing 50 cents higher this morning crude oil, 4 to 44 to $4.5 higher as we speak. Have a great week. Everybody keep watching for those signals