S1: From the historic campus of Hillsdale College in Hillsdale, Michigan, where the good, the true and the beautiful are taught, nurtured and honored. This is the radio free Hillsdale Hour, bringing the activity and education of the college to listeners across the country.
S2: Think globally. Act locally. This was very popular in the 90s with the environmental movement, and it sounds kind of intriguing at first. I propose that people think locally and act locally.
S3: This is your host, Scott Bertram. Welcome to the Radio Free Hillsdale Hour. Part of the Hillsdale College Podcast Network. That was Seth Barron, author of the recent book Weaponized The Left's Capture and Destruction of America's Sacred Institutions. We talk in depth with Seth about his book today and later on, Elizabeth Fredericks from Hillsdale's English department joins us. She'll begin a brief series on British literature of World War One. First, we're joined by Seth Barron. He is an editorial board member at the New York Post reporter and editor. And he's also the author of the recent book Weaponized The Left's Capture and Destruction of America's Sacred Institutions. Seth, thanks so much for joining us.
S2: Oh, thank you for having me on. It's a pleasure.
S3: So the title of the book is weaponized, and we've heard the term weaponization a lot more recently than, say, 15, 20 years ago. What do you mean by weaponization, as you use the phrase throughout the book?
S2: Well, I'm looking at the ways in which certain key institutions in America, and I'm talking about civics. I'm talking about education, policing, and housing, these key institutions that really define the way Americans live. They've been infiltrated, subverted, and turned against the people through a weaponization of, I guess, you know, sort of our good nature and our sense of of what's right. Okay. For instance, take the term the American Dream. Uh, this used to refer to how Americans saw their lives in regard to how their children would would grow up. You know, Americans sought to provide for their kids, get a house, take vacations, and maybe their kids would do better than they did. But at some point, a dream came to mean not something that Americans aspired to, but something that foreigners had. Americans no longer were participants in the American dream. The American dream was something that we were that we owed to non non-Americans, to people abroad, all of whom had a right to it. So by twisting this phrase, they were able to, you know, in my thesis is to change the way we view citizenship and make it that we no longer really have the right to determine who comes here, and that it's essentially a global, a global right.
S3: And immigration citizenship is one of the four main topics in the book weaponized. We're concerned about the meaning of citizenship and especially about assimilation to when a country stops expecting newcomers to assimilate into a common national culture. What do we lose?
S2: I mean, we lose any sense of of unity. We lose the sense of the nation as a nation. It just becomes a place for people to come and hang their hat like a clearinghouse. It becomes a place where foreigners come in and they say, well, we don't really like the nation, but we like what you've done with the place. We think we'll turn it into something else. So you wind up with society of disconnected people, people who are very low trust in one another. You basically wind up with something that's not really quite a nation anymore, so much as it is just like an like a, like an entrepot, like a, like a collection of people who are in a place for commercial reasons and, and nothing else.
S3: Seth Barron the book is weaponized left the left's capture and destruction of America's sacred institutions citizenship, policing, housing, education. Those are the four quadrants you write about and weaponized, and you argue early. If you control the operation of those institutions, you're in a pretty good spot to control the country. How why did you identify those four places as being the centralized place to turn our focus?
S2: Well, when I started thinking about the country in general, and I wanted to write a book about, you know, what I saw the problems that were happening mainly from the left. It occurred to me that, okay, the way America was, was founded is the idea that the people are sovereign and all power stems from the people, not from a king, not from the top, but from the people whom God has invested self-evidently with liberty and, you know, natural rights of self-government, basically. And so in the American system, power derives from the bottom and through the communities and then up to the states and then to the country. Well, this drives the left crazy because they have a universal vision that they want to impose everywhere all at once. So it's annoying to them to have to consult every different district, every different community, and gain consensus that way. They would prefer just to, you know, they have their diktats and they'd like to just impose them from the top. So it seemed that what was happening was that power was being lifted from the bottom and away from the people and, and raised up to these unaccountable levels like people who have no accountability to, to the, to, to the base. Essentially, an expert class should rule everything. And just to go back to citizenship for a second, like it occurred to me the same way that people are not, you don't really have a say over who comes to America. Well, I was looking at housing and zoning and the way in which how decisions about what communities should look like are being taken away from zoning boards and the community and lifted up into like the state level where some expert could say, yes, you have to build affordable housing here. You have to allow quadruplexes here, you have to build a, you know, an apartment building near the transit line. And so basically what I saw was the same thing happening, which is that the people who live in a place no longer get to decide what happens there. So I saw it happening at the top at such a broad level, like the borders and citizenship. And then at this micro level, like what happens in neighborhoods. And it occurred to me, yeah, this is the problem. The left wants to capture all the power and they do it by, um, you know, essentially, you know, here's the thing, I don't know if you've heard this phrase before, think globally, act locally. This was very popular in the 90s with the environmental movement. And it sounds kind of intriguing at first. It's like, oh yeah, we should think globally, you know, have like a general vision of things and then act locally. But what this really means is don't trust the evidence of your own senses and your own capacity to think. We have experts over here who've done the thinking for you. They've got the big picture. So they're going to impose their thought. And you just think globally, meaning you, you, you adopt whatever construct they have. So. Oh, well, we can't use plastic straws because those destroy the environment. We have to, you know, get rid of our gas stoves because, uh, that releases carbon and eventually seeds will drown Florida. This doesn't necessarily with the reality, you see, but they've duped everybody in a sense to, to take on this, this vision. So I propose that people like think locally and act locally. And I think that's the real American. That's the American spirit that we've kind of lost.
S3: Seth Barron is with us. The book weaponized the left's capture and destruction of America's sacred institutions. On policing, you point out that those who advocate for defunding the police always have this picture of some harmonious society that emerges afterwards, not not one of lawlessness. And there's this discussion of root causes of crime. And the root causes for our friends on the left. Never are are. going back to the actual person committing the crime. When they talk about defunding and the society that emerges without police, are they, in a sense, saying that police are the root cause of crime in our cities?
S2: Well, that is I think that's a thesis that goes back to like the the 19th century with certain radical thinkers who said, yes, the, the cause of laws or the idea being that laws are put in place in order to protect capital and to protect the elite. And that's the and then the police are there to essentially just carry that out. And the idea being like, like, as Zoran Mamdani has said, violence is just a construct. The idea of. So he would say that having landlords is a form of violence. Having prisons is a form of violence. Having, you know, punishment as we know it is violence. These are all means of of using state power to control people. So what they would like to do is, well, they say what they'd like to do is to undo these, these strictures and these, these modes of state power and institutional control and come up with a, I don't know, a more humane society. I think what they really are mad about is the idea that that the police are a they are a recipient of public taxes, public revenue that they don't. The left actually cannot control. So I think they basically would like to sort of nationalize the police, basically bring the police under their umbrella the same way they did for the teachers and for, you know, certain other public sector groups. But yeah, I mean, they do they do make a very radical argument that that, that policing is, you know, essentially, they say it developed evolved out of slave catching practice in the 1850s or so, where they would deputize people to go out and find slaves and catch them. They see the modern police department as directly, directly connected to to the to the old slave catchers. That's what police are. They're just people out to enforce modern day slavery.
S3: That's Seth Barron. His new book, weaponized the left's Capture and destruction of America's sacred institutions will continue with Seth in just a moment. First. You might have seen. And judging by the box office, many have seen the new Odyssey feature film. Well, here at Hillsdale College, we can fill in the blanks. We can tell you what you might have missed. We can give you the joy and satisfaction of reading The Odyssey, and we do that through our Hillsdale College online course, The Odyssey, with Doctor Ben Whalen. He's your teacher. Join him for 12 lectures on the Odyssey. Find it at hillsdale.edu/course. You'll explore themes of love, marriage, kingship, duty, piety, encounter, Homer's epic, which displays the full human experience. If you've seen the movie, you've got to take the online course, The Odyssey with Doctor Ben Whalen. hillsdale.edu/course. hillsdale.edu/ewcourse. For the Odyssey, we continue with Seth Barron. His recent book weaponized the left's capture and destruction of America's sacred institutions. Seth, we see this time and again when we have some of these far progressive, far left progressive candidates, socialist candidates, DSA candidates who are are talking about defunding the police, that their support does not come largely from the communities that these policies affect. How does the argument and ideology survive when the consequences are hurting the intended beneficiaries? When the beneficiaries, quote unquote, don't even support the policies?
S2: You know, that's a great question. And, you know, for instance, you know, you you see that the, the first victims of like defunding the police or, or lessening policing are people in like black communities because they're, they have the highest rates of crime and thus the highest rates of crime victimization. You know, there's this great trick on the left where they can just say, well, we haven't done it right. We didn't implement it correctly. There wasn't enough funding. There was too much resistance from the other side. So we just have to keep trying. I mean, it's the same thing you hear when they say when they explain why socialism is a failure everywhere it's tried. Well, it hasn't really been tried. It's always been it's always been hurt by American intervention, by sanctions. So sabotage. So we just have to keep going. Um, it's a wonderful trick they have built into it that they can never be seen to fail. It's always just a question of doubling down. So, you know, and then you can just convince your followers that that's the problem. Well, you know, we just have to keep going, comrades. Uh, so yeah, this has been going on for a long time, but it seems to keep working, which is remarkable.
S3: Weaponized is the book The Left's Capture and Destruction of America's Sacred institution. Seth Barron is the author. On housing, you argue that fair housing or affordable housing is a sneaky way for the left to wage war on the suburbs. Why do they hate the suburbs and what do they want to do about it?
S2: The left hates the suburbs, has hated the suburbs for a long time. They see the suburbs well, they formulate. They see the suburbs as a source of conformity. Uh, Of conservativism and essentially racism. Thesis of the left goes that. Cities are where people like where real human life and real human interaction takes place. And the idea being that the people in control hated this. So they decided to build the highway system in order to sell cars and funnel white people out into segregated suburbs where they could all be regimented and routinized and, you know, essentially factory produced into these idealized robots. Now, of course, this is a nonsensical point of view. I'm just explaining what they believe. And according to this thesis, the cities remain the source of all value and wealth creation. And the suburbs just exploit the cities and extract all the wealth. And this is something that the Brookings Institution even recently said, that suburbs extract wealth from the cities, even though, you know, the mechanism by which that happens is never made clear. So and then, you know, what we've wound up with are cities that are largely Democrat many times that's, you know, very there's a lot of crime, there's a lot of poverty. And this drives the left crazy because they would like to. Ideally they would they basically want to annex the suburbs. This was Obama's vision, a regionalization of urban areas to connect the cities and the suburbs around them, to make the suburbs take on the burden of providing for the poor people who live in the city, namely through affordable housing. And this is the affirmatively, Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing, which was part of the Fair Housing Act of 1968, and extending that to mean economic equality to to to achieve economic Integration. So the idea being that you have to force suburbs to take on the burden of building affordable housing and affordable in this in this instance, just means subsidized. That's a tricky word switch they've used to. I mean, of course, everybody wants to have an affordable house, but technically speaking, any house that someone lives in is affordable to them. What they what they mean by affordable is subsidized. So this is kind of why they hate the suburbs. Suburbs. Suburbs are inhabited by people who have an investment in the community they own. There's more home ownership, right. And home owners are very conservative. They're very attuned to home to the value of their homes. This is their major asset. And the left hates this. They call it the home voter. People whose voting patterns are closely tied to how they perceive policies will affect the value of their homes. So undoing this power is, is key to the left's vision, and that's why they've changed zoning laws to make it that the state can determine what happens in your community. Why Obama and Biden would sue communities if they didn't have enough subsidized housing for poor people. It's a very long campaign they've been waging, and it's somewhat effective. Yeah. And so even though suburbs are where most of the economic growth is happening in America today, that's what they don't want to admit. It's not really happening in the cities. And more than that, this idea that the suburbs are where the white people live and the cities are where the black and brown people live, is also false. More, I think a majority of the minority population lives in suburbs. That's where all of the population growth is happening. So it's an outdated model that they're they're addicted to. And then you wind up with leftists flocking to, to cities like in New York, voting for people like Mamdani. And they have this vision of the world where everyone should live in tightly dense like conurbations. Suburbs should be essentially made illegal. And, you know, there's a social control element to it. People in the cities tend to be, you know, it's hard to raise a family in a city, so there's less family formation, etc., etc.. So this is the vision.
S3: On education set that might be, uh, one of the four that has most buy in or most acceptance that there has been a capture and a change, but it's also different because there are alternative charter schools and private schools and even home schooling. Does that mean that education is the area, perhaps where institutional capture can be reversed most quickly?
S2: You know, that's a great question, and I do see it that way a little bit. I don't necessarily see that it can be reversed most quickly, but I see it as a model action because this is one place where the teachers unions are the most powerful unions in the country. They're the largest unions, and they put more money into politics than any other entity, I believe billions, billions of dollars. This is all taxpayer money. Of course, taxpayer money that goes into the schools goes to the teachers unions, who have the power to negotiate their contract and have the power to, you know, affect the political system by putting money into it. So, yes, and they've taken it over. But like you said, people have pushed back. And so there are these movements like the charter school movement, which is incredibly popular at, you know, at, at the roots, homeschooling, private education. They, the left wants to destroy all of these, these alternatives, but they've been unable to. Mhm. And all of this happens at just with people operating locally. Um, and that I again, like this whole think globally act locally. I really see this as the vision. That's how charter schools got going. That's how homeschool homeschooling networks evolved. So I see I see education and the pushback against the relentless institutional capture by the left as one, you know, as a model for how how the people can start to take back America.
S3: Seth Barron with us. The book is weaponized. Seth, if this is institutional, the problems are institutional in these areas rather than electoral. What difference does winning elections make? How much can winning elections even begin to fix or address the problem?
S2: Winning elections is great. Okay. We need to win elections. But we also have to recognize the way the left operates. The left sees politics as something that happens every day. The right sees politics, like you said, as like the midterms. And then every four years, the elections. The right has a lot of things going on in their day. They have jobs, they have families, they have religion. They have hobbies. For the left, politics is their religion. Politics is their love life. Politics is their circle of social circle. Politics, in many cases is their job because they work in the nonprofit or the government sector. So we have to take on their model, which is relentlessly being involved in politics. I mean, it's unfortunate that that's what it comes to because nobody really wants to do that. People want to hang out with their friends at church and with their family and, you know, do projects on the weekends and so forth. But we have to we have to recognize that for the left, they're always engaged in politics. And then elections are kind of like, you know, one of the fruits winning elections is one of the fruits of their hard work. Um, So elections, we definitely need to win elections. Absolutely. But we have to recognize that politics is a much larger process, and it really requires a certain awakening that the left is ahead of us on this. They're they're very, they're, they're, they're, they're always working. Like when we get up, they've been doing, you know, they're, they're sitting at the edge of the bed waiting for us to, um, they've already, you know, done, done push ups all night while we've been sleeping, basically.
S3: Seth Barron is on the editorial board at the New York Post. You can find him writing elsewhere and editing places, too. The new book weaponized the left's capture and destruction of America's sacred institutions. Seth, thanks so much for joining us here on the Radio Free Hillsdale Hour.
S2: It's been such a pleasure. Thank you for having me on.
S3: Up next, Doctor Elizabeth Fredericks, associate professor of English here at Hillsdale College, returns to begin a brief series on British literature of World War One. I'm Scott Bertram. This is the radio free Hillsdale Hour. Welcome back to the radio free Hillsdale Hour. I'm Scott Bertram. Be sure to follow us on X at Hillsdale Radio and Hillsdale College Podcast Network at h c. We're joined by Doctor Elizabeth Fredericks, associate professor of English here at Hillsdale College. Doctor Fredericks, thanks for returning.
S4: Thanks for having me.
S3: Starting a brief series here about a very interesting course that you just completed, teaching British literature of World War One. And it's great because we have a little bit of of cross-pollination here, both little literature, a little bit of history coming through that literature as well. And we start with something that I call the war. They thought they were fighting as World War One begins in 1914. What's the emotional tone that's dominating British writing and what's driving it?
S4: Yeah. So the tone is, is a time of change. The poets overall are sometimes resisting the lingering traces of the Victorian era. Modernism is still in its very early stages and is mostly a fringe avant garde movement. And so the poets who are trying to innovate away from the Victorian period are actually still very formal poets. A lot of their work is very pastoral, bucolic, sometimes a kind of rehashed romanticism. They're sometimes called the Georgian poets. After some anthologies that a number of them appeared in. And the tone of some of the poetry, including by other poets who are sort of lingering major figures that carry over from the romantic period, like Rudyard Kipling. There's a real desire for some kind of new test of courage or national identity. There's a real hunger to prove themselves. The last war that Britain had really been in was the Boer War, which of course had very mixed results and was very far away from home. So you see, you see this desire to kind of push and re-establish and establish masculinity and patriotism. And alongside it, then you also have this, like I said, pastoral, bucolic, romantic sort of tone of the English countryside. It's very idyllic in a lot of ways. So those are sort of kind of some of the dominant strains or modes that you see in that poetry in 1914, even before the war. And then especially once the war begins, you have major poets like Robert Graves, Rupert Brooke, Siegfried Sassoon and D H. Lawrence are all kind of very significant younger poets at this particular point in time. And they are, as I mentioned, also very formal poets, too. They're writing in very traditional meters and forms. Modernism hasn't made its inroads yet. Imagism and futurism are these very avant garde movements that are read only by very small groups, and are also seen as having too much connection to either Europe or America to really be English enough to sort of satisfy the desire at this point in time.
S3: World War One has been called the most literary war. Do you think that's right? And maybe a little bit here, too, as to how you conceive the course while you're interested in teaching this?
S4: Yeah. So one way I conceived the course was that I was always teaching around this period in other courses that I taught. So I regularly teach a course on Victorian and modern British literature. We always do a day on the World War One poets. We always do THETS Eliot's The Wasteland as well. And I always do Virginia Woolf's To the Lighthouse. And all of these works have their either very explicit connection to the wars. In the case of the World War One poets, we focus primarily on Siegfried Sassoon and Wilfred Owen. There especially. But to. The Lighthouse also has in that famous time passes sequence in the middle. Some very direct references to the war and war poetry. And of course, one way to look at T.S. Eliot's The Wasteland is that it's this poet of post-war England and post-war London in particular. So those were things that I just I really loved them. I really enjoyed them. I also taught a course on the Bloomsbury Group. These are all writers who lived through the war. They mostly don't fight in it, but they do engage in it in different ways. E.M. Forster, for instance, works in the National Gallery during the time period in which London is actually on the receiving end of some air raids and is putting like the best masterpieces in storage and putting the third rate masterpieces on the walls, which he said felt very appropriate. That's the correct company for him is the third rate masterpieces. And he also then worked in the Mediterranean identifying, uh, soldiers who were missing in action among the wounded. So you have all these connections. And I also really love some of the more recent literature that's come out about World War One by Pat Barker and Itchy and Hutchinson and some other writers. And so I was just going, I really just want to pull this all together into one class and see what it's like to go through it. The big challenge of producing the class actually became how to order it, because the works are not published in the same order as the time periods they deal with. And so if we read by chronological order, we would read, for instance, the Wasteland, which is about post-war London, before we read something like David Jones's in Parenthesis, which is about his actual time fighting in the war. And so he'd be constantly bouncing around time wise. And so I actually, and this went very much against my instincts in some ways organized the course according to the time period in which the works were set, rather than the time in which they were published, in order to give us a more coherent reading experience. But I've never had a course where that was such a problem to kind of grapple with. So yeah, so going back to World War One as the most literary war, I think in a lot of ways it is right. One, and it's part of this is some sociological things that are going on. You have the educational changes of the Victorian era that have caused this explosion in popular literacy, as well as the rapid increase from the same time period in print and periodical culture, which just means people are accustomed to reading. And also more and more people are accustomed to writing. So you have more and more working class writers or lower middle class writers, as opposed to the production of literary material being the work of the literary elite or the cultural elite. And so you have this army where people are just so accustomed to reading and writing, and that makes it very easy for them to produce work and also to consume work, whether that's about the war or other things. A lot of what they're reading in the trenches is actually not war material as well, which is really fascinating. Another interesting effect of this being a literary war is that because the Western Front is so close to home, it is incredibly easy for soldiers to quickly receive books and newspapers from England. And so you have soldiers who will write back to their family in the UK and say, I would really like a copy of this book that came out last month. Can you send it to me? And sometimes within a week they would have a copy of it, if not even less. And so there was just this very quick delivery time back and forth. So books were shipped to the trenches quickly and easily and then circulated among soldiers in the trenches. Newspapers also came very rapidly. Also, one of my favorite details is that you had the production of trench newspapers themselves. Soldiers on the front lines were producing material, newspapers and magazines for themselves in a variety of ways. Sometimes these were handwritten. They would just take paper they had and produce a handful of copies, writing them by hand, and then circulate them. Sometimes they would make use of military printing materials and supplies in order to produce them on actual printing materials. And then sometimes they found printing equipment in towns that had been evacuated and then just made use of those as well behind the front lines, and then circulated those newspapers or magazines up to the front lines. And so the just the sheer quantity of printed material that's produced is incredible. Even away from the front lines. You have conscientious objectors in prison who are also producing newspapers in prison, sometimes on squares of toilet paper, which they would then post in toilet stalls for the other prisoners to read because they were forbidden to actually speak to each other. And so just the impetus to write everywhere is, is remarkable. And they produce a tremendous amount of material as a result.
S3: Talking with Doctor Elizabeth Fredericks about the British literature of World War One these early days here, what do some of the early war poems reveal about how that conflict was imagined before people really understood what was happening?
S4: Yes, there's this real notion, especially in the early days of 1914, of defending both small nations like Belgium and also defending Englishness itself. There's a lot of pastoralism in these early poems, a very idealised picture of rural England that poets like John Masefield and John Freeman invoke in their particular work. And so they give this sort of very idealized rural place. And how people think this. Imagine this. This is what you're fighting for. This sort of heart of Englishness, which is also such a fascinating move because most of the soldiers on the front lines don't actually come from there. Most of them come from industrial environments. And so it's a very imagined world that they're kind of being encouraged to fight for. Thomas Hardy, interestingly, is one of the few who sees this war from very early stages as a real rupture between the two nations, who were linked in many ways, reflecting on the fact that their monarchs are cousins, for instance, by intellectual and artistic traditions that become very entwined in the 19th century. Like other English writers, he does blame the Germans for the war primarily as the aggressors who have started it, but he finds it appalling. He finds it a real shift from what he sees as this 19th century culture of exchange and mutual improvement that is just suddenly warped and defaced into violence and horror.
S3: Poems by Rupert Brooke are covered in the class two. Why are his poems so powerful and so persuasive at the time?
S4: Yes. So there's I mean, one is that he is a poet on the rise, so he's already a pretty well respected and admired young poetic figure, very talented by all accounts, also very beautiful. So he has this kind of public persona that's built on both his appearance as well as his work. And so there's there's that name recognition that comes. It's also impossible to avoid the fact that he dies very, very early in the war and tragically, not even in conflict. He dies of septicaemia from an infected mosquito bite that he actually retains in 1914. So he doesn't he barely even makes it to combat in a meaningful way. Nonetheless, he does a lot of the things that we sort of talk about. He presents this very beautiful, again, rural, idealised England that he imagines he's fighting for. He also gives there's this very interesting, very beautiful religious tone, famously in his five part sonnet sequence, The Soldier. He gives us that line about, Thank God who has matched us with this hour, and the sense that this is going to be something that makes people better versions of themselves. There's this image of idealized masculinity that he offers, this idea of like soldiers into clean water. Slipping is one of the images that he gives. And then in the fifth poem of that sequence, he gives this idea of, if I should fall in battle. Think of that as there's some corner of England that is forever there. Now, like if I die abroad, Englishness is there too. And so we sort of spread it in this way our ideals, our virtues, our beauty, our kind of everywhere. And it's a sort of romantic death that he offers one that's very in line with all these young public school men raised upon classical literature, and this ideal of dying in battle gloriously and beautifully. These poems, I think, kind of feed upon that and offer that as well. And so it's, it's a just this intensely idealized, gorgeous picture that he offers of what it means to go and fight, and then also what it may mean to go and die. That downplays the terror and elevates the nobility of what he thinks that he is doing.
S3: Idealized masculinity is a phrase you use. Do. Do we see that? Do we see duty? Do we see sacrifice that become integral parts of this early writing?
S4: There's a lot. And Kipling is one of the most interesting writers to turn to to see some of this. One thing you do see is a lot of, um, Christ like imagery that appears particularly in his work. If you look at his poem The Children, for instance, where he's talking about because Kipling, of course, is too old to go and fight himself and has incredibly poor eyesight, so they wouldn't take him even if he wasn't over 40 years old. But so he's reflecting on the children of people like himself who are going off to fight, and he has the remarkable line, he says, where they bought us anew with their blood. And you're like, that's just this inevitable Christ like image that he's offering of the sacrifice that the soldiers are giving. And this is, of course, his poetry in the early days there as well. His very famous poem from very early in the war, from almost the literal beginning for all we have in our lives, this very borderline religious as well as patriotic duty, that you must go fight because it's not just what your country asks of you, but in some way it must be what God is asking of you too. And so both the the duty and sacrifice elements there have this very strong religious pull that's, that's very hard to resist there. And the masculinity piece is definitely part of it as well. Like this is also just what you would do if you're really a man, you will go and defend England, and you'll also go and defend the little countries like Belgium, who are small and don't have big armies and need, like the brave Tommy, to come and stand up for them. Jessie Pope, a very famous propaganda writer for this time writes, for instance, poems that cast the British Tommy as the David who stands up to the Goliath who fights, and so again cast in the strongly religious as well as patriotic mode.
S3: Talking with Doctor Elizabeth Fredericks about the British literature of World War One in the early days. Right now, the 39 steps. It's not about trench warfare, but it is in this World War One conversation. Why does it belong?
S4: Yeah. So the 39 steps is by the novelist and politician John Buchan. And it's not explicitly about trench warfare. It was also the very first thing we read in this class. And my students, the day they came in to talk about the first day, they just looked slightly puzzled. And I was going, I bet you guys didn't think you were allowed to have this much fun in a class about World War One literature. And they went, no, no, we did not expect that because it is a tremendously fun novel. Now, Buchan doesn't fight in the war, but he has this history in British government and military. He was stationed in South Africa after the Boer War in Lord Kitchener's kindergarten, as it was called, which is a number of young, sort of upwardly mobile people who become political and economic figures in Britain later. And so he's one of those. When he returns to England, he remains involved in the civil service and in 1915, 1914, 1915, we actually don't have a very good handle on what he was doing, which has led some to suspect he was doing intelligence work, but he also, at one point is ill. Or maybe he says he's ill and he's actually doing intelligence work again. It's a little fuzzy for people who've actually dug into it, but that's the time period in which he writes the 39 steps is in early 1915. And so the war has begun, and Buchan has this eye towards morale on the home front from the very beginning. Significantly, he does become the director of information in 1917, which makes him a propaganda, essentially the head of propaganda for the British government, and he later becomes the head of intelligence. So very interested in morale, in what people are thinking and in controlling the image of the war. And so the 39 steps, while it's not explicitly about the war, if we think of it as propaganda, writing about that indirectly about the war, it fits very well. It's not about trench warfare, but it is about a conspiracy to start an international war in Europe by assassinating a head of state suggestively headed by German conspirators. So it's barely subtext that it's about World War One. And so it's written very early in the war. It's serialised in Blackwood's Edinburgh magazine in summer 1915 and then published in full in the fall. And it's it's a thriller. It's essentially just a domestic espionage thriller with this main character, Richard Hannay, who's just an ordinary guy. No, no one particularly special, as he goes to great pains to point out. He just stumbles into this conspiracy rather by accident, and then has to do something about it because he's just a good, straightforward, honest British man. Made his pile in South Africa has this connection to Scotland. And so this is this is sort of the figure that you have. He's very ordinary, like your soldiers who were fighting in the war, not particularly prominent, not particularly skilled in special things, but he just has this decency of character and this determination to do what's right and to do what must be done. And because he has spent this time in South Africa, he also has a remarkable number of practical skills as well. So that's very helpful. And it's immensely popular in the trenches. There's a soldier who writes to Buchan saying that he ripped through the whole thing in a single night when he was posted on the front lines. So it gets passed around. It's immensely popular, and it does give you this character of like, oh yes, here are what ordinary British citizens are capable of, which is foiling tremendous evil just through their sort of practical intelligence, common sense, and basic decency, and he goes on to write multiple. He writes multiple novels throughout World War One that continue to be very popular and then continues, of course, to write them after World War One as well. But it's this immensely popular trench novel, and like I said, immensely popular work of propaganda fiction as well, when you look at it that way.
S3: The description of 39 steps makes it all the all too clear why it became a Hitchcock film later on.
S4: Yes, Hitchcock film has been a miniseries, and now it's also an extremely successful comedic play as well. It's just its afterlives are extraordinary.
S3: So if literature was providing a some, some a morale boost or providing some reassurance to the home front during the beginning days and years. Well, beginning months of the war, let's say, where do we first begin to see some cracks forming in that confidence story of the war?
S4: You see, the cracks begin to form throughout 1915 as it becomes clear that this war is not going to be one of a consistently moving front or these interesting and and quick offenses that create rapid changes in the conditions of the war. But they really expand significantly in 1916 with the particularly devastating battles of that year that continue into 1917 as well. The long battle of the Somme in the summer in particular, is just especially horrifying for the soldiers who were fighting. Uh, and numerous soldiers serve in that battle. The novelist David Jones, for instance, himself points to 1916 as a year where it really felt like things changed. Famously. You have like the Christmas truce of 1914, where the soldiers came out of their trenches and played soccer in no man's land and exchanged gifts. And and so that happened in 1914. More sporadic, smaller versions of it happened in 1915. But after 1916, nothing like it ever happens again. Things harden. There's just more disillusionment. There's far more suffering and, and things just aren't changing. And you just have such heavy casualties in these battles where you have, for instance, a million casualties in a single day of particularly terrible offenses. And just it's really impossible to maintain that sort of bright and lively picture of the war you get from something like the 39 steps. It's hard to maintain that sense of sort of clean, idealized beauty that you get from Rupert Brooke. The soldiers are suffering from things like trench foot, which is what happens when you're wearing all these wet shoes and wet socks for days upon days. And and so, yes, the struggle of all of that just becomes more miserable when your reality is rats and lice. It's hard to be rosy about the situation that's happening and go, yes, indeed, this is the this is the idealized picture of the world that we came here to fight for.
S3: In part two, we'll talk about telling the truth about what's happening in those trenches during World War One. Doctor Elizabeth Fredericks with us, associate professor of English at Hillsdale College, talking about her course on the British literature of World War One. Doctor Fredericks, thanks for joining us on the Radio Free Hillsdale Hour. That will wrap up this edition of the Radio Free Hillsdale Hour. Our thanks to Seth Barron. His book weaponized the left's capture and destruction of America's sacred institutions. And Doctor Elizabeth Fredericks from Hillsdale English Department. Remember, you can hear new episodes every week on this station. You also can find extended versions of some of our interviews, or listen any time to the podcast. Find it@podcast.hillsdale.edu or wherever you get your audio. Until next week, I'm Scott Bertram, and this has been the radio free Hillsdale Hour.