S1: Every week. Hillsdale College President Larry Arnn joins Hugh Hewitt to discuss great books, great men, and great ideas. This is Hillsdale Dialogues, part of the Hillsdale College Podcast Network. More episodes@podcast.hillsdale.edu or wherever you find your audio.
S2: Morning. Glory. Evening Grace. America. That music means it's the last broadcast hour of the week. That means it's time for the Hillsdale Dialogue. Doctor Ron and I are done celebrating the semi sesquicentennial, and we're back into Churchill's World War Two memoirs, volume two. Their finest hour. Last week, Doctor Arnn, you were talking about, um, Churchill's comment to the French that those nations that die fighting rise again. And you're also talking about how the French collapse may have been, in part linked to the exhaustion of the French Republic after World War One. I am curious, as it occurred to me when we were talking, I wanted to ask you about it this week. When Reagan arrived after Vietnam and after Carter, he had to start again to rebuild sort of American fighting will. And he did it with Grenada. And then George H.W. Bush did it with Panama and then George W Bush. We went to war for 20 years and were exhausted again. And we got out ignobly from Afghanistan in 2021 and a haphazard, disastrous and deeply humiliating retreat. What do you make of the idea that Donald Trump is rebuilding the American capacity for force with this battle with Iran in a way that is necessary, limited, precise, and deadly when it's unleashed?
S3: Yeah. That's it limited Um, uh, we we fell into a period, uh, unique in American history when we were the only superpower. And so we thought we could do anything. And you mix that up with the principles of liberal imperialism, which include statements like, we can't be safe until the world is free. Uh, my favorite is Colin Powell saying, when we invaded Iraq the first time, after they had attacked a neighbor and the neighbor appealed to us for help, it means we can do that if we want to. But he said, if you break it, you own it. And, uh, that means that we have to fix it, right? Well, Trump hasn't said anything like that. What he said is we're going to stop them threatening us and our neighbors, and we're going to do what it takes to do that. And, uh, that means that it's up to us how far we go. So that's limited, Right? Because you can't study Churchill carefully without understanding his constant reluctance about and fear about war. Uh, he you know, you don't you don't do it for a demonstration. You do it because you have to. And you'll be less likely to have to if you're ready to do it. So that's the old wisdom, right? And I think.
S2: It's interesting that you bring up and that's not in our notes or our outline. Uh, General Powell, who of course became secretary of State Powell, but he was a general. He was a military man because Churchill has a not a jaundiced eye, but a skeptical eye about generals making policy. And it comes up in this chapter, chapter ten. General Weygand, who is their their boss of bosses, their number one general, he decides, he decides. The general decides that it's time to quit. And Churchill says he used his supreme political position far beyond the limits which his professional responsibility, as great as they were, were justified or required. He asserted. The right of a soldier to dominate the duly constituted government of the Republic, as did Marshal Patton. And I sense in Churchill a. I don't sense, I read in Churchill a great skepticism of generals stepping into the role of statesmen. AM I right about that? Oh, yes.
S3: Well, if they get elected right, they have to become statesmen. Right. But the idea that they get to decide. Remember, that's a that's a thing in human affairs. In every human organization, people have a job and they think because of that job, they can control more than that job. And they try to control things for which they don't have responsibility. Nobody gave general responsibility for the future and being of France, but he effectively exercised that authority for a time. And that was just wrong. And what Churchill thought was, you know, Churchill is a follower of the principles of the Declaration of Independence. And what do they say? The purpose of a government is to defend the rights of its people, and it gets its authority from their consent. Well, nobody consented to Vigan making those decisions. He just happened to have supposedly at least control of the military. And so there was nobody I mean, I mentioned last week that Victor Hanson writes about the amazing effectiveness of Britain in the Second World War, how much they got out of themselves. Right. And they mortgaged their future to do it. And Churchill didn't want to do that and always called it the unnecessary war. But now you're in the gang war, and somebody's got to command all the efforts of the nation toward victory. That's what he did. Well, there wasn't anybody at the top ready to do that? Uh, Churchill meets the son of Clemenceau from the First World War. The tiger, they called it. And at the end of the First World War, Clemenceau took power. And he did do that. And Churchill marveled at that and admired that very much, and did that himself later. Well, the son of Clemenceau Churchill Records, in these chapters that we're reading, he had the spirit of his daddy in him, and Churchill thought that was missing at the top.
S2: Well, he said Renault was not up to it. And this is a quote, uh, France would have needed a Cromwell, a Clemenceau, a Stalin or a Hitler. It's a and that's a silent reflection on himself. Capacity married to Will, married to, um, a country that's got the ability to rise to the occasion. As Victor Davis Hanson noted, he's not complimenting Stalin or Hitler's moral character. He is recognized. And I'm sure he's not a big fan of Cromwell, but is recognizing, uh, data, uh, there too. Um, what what Machiavelli. Well, put down as the essential ingredient. Sure.
S3: Uh, there's that charge against Donald Trump, the old one about the Playboy interview where he congratulates the Chinese on their strength. Well, he also says in that same interview that they're horrible. Their policies are horrible. But. And see, here's what I think is the distinction. Strength is urgently necessary. But Churchill was fond of saying, kindness is better than strength. But you actually need some strength in order to be kind. And so, you know, when you take a responsibility like that, if Hillsdale College fails, it'll be my fault, right? And that's why that's where I get my authority from the mission of the college, from its well-being, and from the people I work with. And I have to use it only for that. And it means that while I have the job, I'm stuck. Something goes wrong. It's my fault. Well, if you take that attitude, then you might be capable of command in an urgent situation. I've never been in a situation as urgent as the ones we're describing here, but all of us face in life urgent situations, and we have to discharge our responsibilities. That's what our authority, whatever it is we have, is for.
S2: That's so yeah, that's well put. Let's talk now about the the French fleet because it's a little known aspect of the war. But Churchill had spotted it not long after he became prime minister after Chamberlain stepped down. He begins to lobby Darlan, who's the the chief of naval operations. He's in command of the French fleet. But he's he's an admiral. He's not a minister. And he says to Darlan, we got to have the French fleet. We got to have the French fleet. And Darlan says to him, of course you'll get the French fleet. Well, France is collapsing and Churchill sends out his IOU for the fleet and Darlan doesn't deliver. He said I'd become the Minister of Maritime. What does that mean? What was he trying to do?
S3: Their bargain. So, first of all, a very pregnant letter in these chapters is the letter that Churchill wrote to Roosevelt on the 15th of June.
S2: Oh, yes.
S3: And I invite people to read that and see that Churchill appeals to Roosevelt entirely on the basis of the interest of the United States of America. Yep. He says if their fleet goes bad, that's a grievous fact. But what will be become of our fleet? I would never surrender our fleet to the Germans. But will I be in charge if there's an invasion? You have to think about that, because the British fleet was bigger than the American fleet at the time. And if you put it together with the French fleet, and he points this out.
S2: And the German.
S3: Fleet, that would.
S2: And the German way bigger.
S3: That's right.
S2: And so don't go anywhere, America. We'll come back and talk about FDR, Churchill, the considerations that went into everything. The dialogue is underway. All things hillsdale@hillsdale.edu. And everything. All the Hillsdale Dialogue at Q four hillsdale.com. I'm Hugh Hewitt with Doctor Larry Arnn, president of Hillsdale College, talking about Winston Churchill, World War II memoir. We're talking about the fleet and the very delicate dance of memos between Winston Churchill and Franklin Roosevelt at the time. Doctor Arnn.
S3: Another very delicate thing, because, you know, first of all, these memos are really great to read because you've got to remember Churchill's writing these things when he's traveling four times to France during the collapse of France and after he's been prime minister since the 10th of May, and all this is over by the middle of June. And he writes these memos to the French and to Roosevelt. The most important memos he wrote were to those two parties. And and, uh, uh, the French say to him, we want you to release us from our obligation not to make a separate peace. That's that's hard. You know, we're collapsing. We're suffering there. We're disorganized. They're going to take over France and subject the whole of France to the Gestapo. And we don't want that. We can make a deal to prevent that. Release us. Think of the strength of that appeal. And what does Churchill reply? Once he gives, he gives the reply twice. He gives it once. And he says, we are never going to waste any time recriminating against France, whatever it does. But this is not the last battle that will happen in England, and you should exhaust your resources all the way down to North Africa, if you must, to carry on the battle. Then they retire and. And Churchill. And who's with him? Beaverbrook, his good friend, who he gives him a huge Churchill compliment in this chapter. Always a good man under pressure. And Lord Halifax, a reformed appeaser there with him, and they retired to the garden and talk for half an hour and then come back. Churchill comes back and gives the same answer, and he gives that answer in writing again later. And then he tells Roosevelt. He gave that answer, that, in other words, I didn't agree with them, to release them from a pact that we made a blood pact, not to make a separate peace because we're going to fight on. And they should too. And that, you see that's. Aren't those.
S2: They are.
S3: Cataclysmic.
S2: What do you make of of FDR in this exchange for the benefit of the audience? Um, FDR writes France, encouraging them not to surrender and not to give up the fight. And Churchill, although it's very I went full Strauss in here, tried to read it 3 or 4 times to figure out whether or not Winston Churchill was willing that FDR had agreed to publish the telegram, or whether FDR had actually agreed to publish the telegram and changed his mind. I can't decipher it. I so I can't say for certain whether or not FDR said, go ahead and publish my telegram, because Churchill thought it would buck up the French and Reynaud thought it would buck up the French, because FDR is saying, fight on, fight on. And FDR says, oh, the State Department says, I can't publish the Telegraph. What did you make of that by FDR? I thought it was disappointing.
S3: No, it's a good thing. uh, that, uh, we were reluctant to go into that war. Uh, we were reluctant to go into the First World War two. And, and we went into both of them upon being attacked. Right. And that's, and we didn't have agreements in advance of either of those wars that we would come to the defense of those countries. Roosevelt wanted to. And, and the reasons he wanted to are in that memo that Churchill wrote him. When Churchill and Roosevelt began writing each other, they write each other as former naval persons. Roosevelt had been assistant secretary to the Navy. And see, you have to make a link if you can, between the thought of the American founders, the authors of the Declaration of Independence and this policy in the Second World War. And that link is broken in part because Franklin Roosevelt was a modern liberal reinterpreting the Declaration of Independence into something else. I argue right? That's a big argument, right? We're not making it here, but it's also maintained because Roosevelt reads about what's going to happen to America if the seas are dominated by hostile powers. And that becomes a prospect that's open. Right. Roosevelt was. He was assistant secretary of the Navy. And, you know, the great, the great. What the great explainer of British power is a man named Alfred Thayer Mahan, who was a late 19th, early 20th century figure at the Naval Institute in America. And he wrote The Influence of Sea Power on history. And he it's a very powerful book, and it's still fundamental to strategic thinking in West today in China, too. Yeah. And what does it say? It says the cheapest, fastest way to to move goods. Goods around the earth is by sea. And so sea power matters a lot. It mattered very much to the founders of the country. And so, uh, Roosevelt knows that, right? And we've always been for freedom of the seas. We always had serious navy from the Revolutionary War on. And, and so to have that under the hands of a continental power, I mean, it's just a fact that the Chinese Navy is bigger than ours today. And China has a multiple of our shipbuilding capacity today. That's a serious fact.
S2: And did you notice, though, doctor, that when our Apache helicopter went down, we dispatched a drone made by Saronic. And it looks like, God forgive me. I hope I don't offend the PT boat people. It looks very much like a PT boat from World War Two or a swift boat from Vietnam, but it doesn't have anyone on it. It just goes and picks up our pilots. That's a revolution.
S3: Well, there's a very good. I just got it this morning. I haven't read it all yet, but there's a man named Dennis Blair who was a big naval commander in the Pacific. And he published an article about the question, Can China take Taiwan? And he says there's just a lot of developments that make that very doubtful now. And we can't rest on our laurels. But, you know, I mean, one of the things that's been displayed in Iran is that we have made a lot of progress against these. And with these drone weapons and in knocking them down, not having to spend a $2 million weapon to knock down a $30,000 drone. And so there's a lot of innovation going on right now. A lot of it comes from Anduril, and that's Palmer Luckey's company. And that's just awesome to me.
S2: It's awesome to me too. And there in Ohio, doctor or not. Michigan. There in Ohio. We'll come back. Hopefully I'll evade some anti Ohio talk from Doctor Arnn. Don't go anywhere America. Welcome back America. I'm Hugh Hewitt talking with Doctor Larry Arnn about the new technologies of war everywhere. A lot of it comes as well from Ukraine I'll remind you. Four years ago when the Russians invaded and we thought it would be a two week war, you made the comment. And then history has surprises like this. Zelensky fellow. Ukraine's a surprise. And the ability that they have demonstrated with drones is a remarkable surprise. I mean, world changing. Yeah.
S3: Yeah. And they're getting a lot of help.
S2: And we're helping them.
S3: You know. Yeah. Well, a lot of people are. And I probably especially us and you know, we're learning from that and, uh, uh, it, you know, we, it is a sad commentary. That we're in danger all the time now, right? And for much of American history, that wasn't true. And we're safer than anybody, at least anybody powerful. But we've got we're subject to immediate attack. And that means being ready and having a superior military at the cheapest possible cost is urgently needed to any republic like ours.
S2: Let me also, we're talking about naval power. And man, uh, the Strait of Hormuz demonstrates again that, uh, what seems like a fight far away with a country we know much about Oman and UAE and Iran is actually about the world's health. You can't allow international waterways to be dominated by a malign power by by any power, unless it's the Panama Canal and they own it, or we own it and gave it to them. You can't let the Straits of Malacca or the Strait of Hormuz or any of the narrow waterways, the Taiwan Strait, be dominated by one power, or the whole world suffers. That's why I think you mentioned that our Constitution specifically doesn't say anything about a standing army says we are to provide and maintain a navy that's in the Constitution.
S3: Yeah. That's right. Yeah. We didn't see that's and see put a point right. First of all, as I say, all proper reasoning about international security and foreign policy begins with the interest of the United States. Well, we're a net oil exporter and we hope to remain so. I hope we do. But we're also a huge oil importer, and that has to do with refining capacity and kinds of oil and which kinds we can refine and which kinds we produce and don't produce. And those are sticky problems, right. And so, you know, the world has a world price and we got to buy a lot of it. And so, yeah, the interest of the United States is wrapped up in this. And, uh, the Strait of Hormuz turns out to be a very sticky problem. Uh, and, uh, we will see because we haven't, we haven't, we have won the war in Iran so far. We will see how it comes out.
S2: Let me go back to last week and then bring it forward. Uh, you mentioned last week that Churchill wrote the prime Ministers of the dominions. In that letter, he wrote, uh, to Australia, New Zealand, Canada and South Africa, quote, Hitler will have to break us in this island or lose the war. He then on June 18th, gives this remarkable speech. We don't have the audio of it. Um, uh, which is the finest hour speech? Do you have an account of how the British people reacted to that speech?
S3: Yeah, many. It was, uh, that that is the one where like it is first of all, he did broadcast the speech. That is the one where people were now focused on the problem. Uh, you know, in other words, uh, when the war started, nobody knew what to expect, you know, and then to be losing on such a scale and so fast that violated the pace of the First World War, which, you know, they lost some battles in the beginning, but within three weeks that settled down into trench warfare and France didn't surrender. And what, six weeks, how long it took. So they're getting used to that. And then he gives the speech. And it's worth noting, you know, the peroration of the speech at the end is, uh, if the British Empire should last a thousand years. Men will still say this was their finest hour. Remember that? That's kind of a doleful prediction, too. This is the peak. What comes later is lower. And that means the Churchill against its will and never willing to do that. Another time in his life was putting all the chips on the table. Uh, that when he said to the French nations that die fighting, rise up again, those that surrender tamely are gone forever. He was prepared to live by that creed himself.
S2: And he, in fact, did live by that creed. He put all the chips on the table. More with doctor on coming up on the Hillsdale dialogue, all things hillsdale@hillsdale.edu. Stay tuned. Welcome back America. I'm Hugh Hewitt, we're talking about the French Navy with Doctor Larry Arnn, president of Hillsdale College, which is why he then goes on and he's very harshly critical of Admiral Darlan and very, uh, full of praise for de Gaulle. De Gaulle, he calls the Constable of France. It's a fine turn of phrase. He also says about Darlan. And he's such a beautiful writer. I had his great grandfather. Darlan is the admiral of the French Navy. His great grandfather had been killed at the Battle of Trafalgar. October 21st, 1805. So we're going back a long way from 1940, Churchill says. I therefore thought of him as one of those good Frenchmen who hate England, which is a fine turn of phrase, but it's a nice way to distinguish between French, who are who are defeatist and French, who just hate England. But he has to bomb, and I don't think many Americans know this now. Larry Arnn, the Brits had to destroy the French navy. They had to seize it wherever they could and scuttle it wherever they had to. It's really kind of a remarkable episode in history.
S3: Churchill was very reluctant to do that. Remember, the British Navy and the French Navy have been training in common for Since 1905, roughly. So there's no there's no British officer who doesn't know the French Navy and regard it as their closest ally, and now he's going to sink their ships. And Churchill tells in this book he tells the story in the in the French North African port of Oran is where the French navy went to under Darlan's orders. Churchill tells about the negotiations between. Is that in this chapter I'm kind of lost where we are now.
S2: Yes.
S3: Yeah. So it's in the book, um, he tells the story of the negotiations and the British commander comes and says, I need you to give us these ships or scuttle them. And the French, and it's very civil, their allies and they negotiate for several rounds, and the French admiral is conferring back. And then he tells him. Not going to do it. And the British says, we're going to sink your fleet. And they do. And that's a terrible thing. Churchill regretted it deeply. On the other hand, there's a lot of evidence that it had a big effect on Franklin Roosevelt because he remember in that thing we talked about where Roosevelt won't publish his statement. Well, he really couldn't, you know, because he, he he didn't have the authority to go to war. He didn't have the authority to help. But he's also hearing from the French. And the French don't sound like people are going to keep on. And they didn't. Right. And so when he sees Churchill and he later sent Harry Hopkins, who lived with Roosevelt in the white House for many years, very close to him when he sent him to talk to Churchill. And when he saw this destruction of the French fleet, he thought Churchill hinted that they were going to keep fighting. And therefore this is a enterprise we might invest in.
S2: Page 213 he writes, the elimination of the French navy had, as an important factor, almost at a single stroke by. Violent action produced a profound impression in every country. Here was this Britain, which had so many had counted down and out, which strangers had supposed to be quivering on the brink of surrender to a mighty power arrayed against her, striking ruthlessly at her dearest friends of yesterday, and securing for a while to herself the undisputed command of the sea. It was made plain that the British War Cabinet feared nothing, and would stop at nothing. This was true. He's right about that. If you kill all your friends, you're not going to. You're not going to stop.
S3: Yeah. Here we go. It, uh. You know, uh, I used to keep on my wall a war photograph of of Abraham Lincoln. And next to it, a war photograph of Winston Churchill. And beneath each of them quote. And the quote from Lincoln was, you don't fight wars by throwing by blowing rose water through elder stalk squirts. And the quote and the quote from Churchill is in the Canadian parliament. He in the middle of the war, he said, uh, we have not traveled all this way across the oceans, across the mountains, across the prairies, because we are made of sugar candy. And, uh, in other words, yeah, this guy is formidable. This guy is conquered Europe. We're not nothing either. And, uh, that is very important. After Alamein first really big land battle that the British one. Churchill celebrated that and said, you know, we know that our soldiers are prepared to die for their country. They can also kill for their country. And that, in other words, you're going to have to act like a winner if you're going to win.
S2: You do indeed have to act like a winner if you're going to win. Stay tuned. Doctor, I'll be right back after the break. All things hillsdale@hillsdale.edu, including their fabulous new course on the Odyssey. Welcome back America. I'm Hugh Hewitt. Doctor, we're about to talk about the rhetoric that is used deployed by Churchill. Well the the ability of his to message is really quite extraordinary. Uh, the gift of rhetorical flourish. Boy it's rare. FDR had it. Reagan had it. I think President Trump sometimes has it in conversation, but not in set piece rhetoric. Do you disagree with that? He's not a set piece, rhetorician.
S3: Yeah. Churchill. That's right. Churchill is, uh, I mean, there Churchill prepared everything, right? But he prepared it. But then in addition, there are these many times when he just waxed eloquent, like, here's a phrase that I liked. He writes to some of his colleagues. I really think that you, Lloyd and Amory, ought to be able to lift our affairs in the East and Middle East out of the catalepsy by which they are smitten. Who writes that? You know.
S2: Last thing I want to mention this week he writes to Smuts. A day or two weeks after his finest hour, Smuts is running South Africa. If Hitler fails to beat us here, he will probably recoil eastwards. Indeed, he may do this even without trying invasion. I just wanted to point out he's a brilliant man. He's forecasting the future in their darkest hour might be their finest hour, but he's saying, you know what? If he doesn't get this island? He's going to attack Stalin. And he's exactly right.
S3: So the. So this chapter ends. I'm going I'm going to go find it. The sentence really great. I can't find it, but it's. And it would all come to be just what he predicted.
S2: All right. We will come back next week to talk to Winston Churchill's. A remarkable gift of prophecy and rhetorical skill, but most importantly of statesmanship. Doctor Oren, thank you.
S1: Thanks for listening to the Hillsdale Dialogues, part of the Hillsdale College Podcast Network. More episodes@podcast.hillsdale.edu or wherever you find your audio. For more information about Hillsdale College, head to hillsdale.edu.