Scot bertram: Every week. Hillsdale College President Larry Arnn joins Hugh Hewitt to discuss great books, great men, and great ideas. This is Hillsdale Dialogues, part of the Hillsdale College Podcast Network. More episodes@podcast.hillsdale.edu or wherever you find your audio.
Hugh Hewitt: Morning glory and evening Grace America. I'm Hugh Hewitt, welcome to the Hillsdale Dialogue, the last broadcast hour of the week. As is usual, when we are blessed, we have Doctor Larry Arnn with us today. He's the president of Hillsdale College. All things hillsdale@hillsdale.edu, including your application for next year. All of you rising seniors, including online courses for everyone in this audience that they ought to be taking, including a new one on classical rhetoric and all the Hillsdale Dialogues going back a decade now, all found@hughforhillsdale.com. In the next two weeks, not today. In the next two weeks, we will finish The Gathering Storm, this book. So do not miss the next two two weeks. But we are taking a break from that. We are also taping on Tuesday before the deadline, President Trump set at 8 p.m.. So I want to let you know that we're working under that constraint this week because of both of our schedules. Doctor Ian, how was your Easter.
Larry Arnn: Hillsdale, Michigan a good place to have Easter. Yeah. Easter is of course very sad until right at the end. But it was a great Easter.
Hugh Hewitt: I am curious about Easter services in that beautiful chapel. Does your music program go all in?
Larry Arnn: Oh yeah. We um, so first of all, there's a really, really great thing. Uh, Hillsdale College, as you probably know, is, uh, all Christian denominations are thriving at Hillsdale College. So we don't have Sunday morning services in our chapel, But on Good Friday, there's a big alliance of churches that we help to organize around here, and they have a good Friday noon service. And it's just a chapel is full. Lots of people in it. And of course, everybody looks up and stares at it because it's the most beautiful building around. And it's just a very fun thing. And it's a college slash community thing.
Hugh Hewitt: And anyone driving through southern Michigan, even if you're not looking for a college for your student or you're not a student, just stop and see the chapel because it's astonishing. The campus is also beautiful, with wonderful statues throughout and incredible history. But the chapel is remarkable in America, probably the equal of any chapel anywhere in America. And there are a few beautiful ones by the same architect, uh, Dominic Stroik, uh, his first name, right. Or is it Duncan Stroik Duncan. Duncan. All right. But it's truly. He may be the best guy working in America. Is he doing your new buildings, by the way, doctor?
Larry Arnn: He's doing a war memorial right now. We're building a library. We just finished a Masters of Classical Education building, and it's going to be beautiful. I mean, the master's classical is beautiful. It's just if you face the chapel, the building immediately to the east or the left. West or left. Sorry. And then the library to the right of the chapel is the student union. And just beyond that is the library that we are greatly expanding and giving it a classical look throughout. And it's those those two things are going to be I mean, our quad is very beautiful. It's soon to be harmonious and beautiful and more beautiful.
Hugh Hewitt: I think we have we have serious things to talk about. We have to talk about destroying things in a moment. So I want to make sure we lift up the fact that beautiful things are being built in the world, especially at Hillsdale College. I also want to lift up the fact that a second of your alumni, Philip Wegman, joined the Wall Street Journal this week, and I was talking to him offline. You're taking Hillsdale graduates are taking over media. I'm very, very pleased with this.
S4: Well, a lot of it, yeah. Yeah.
Larry Arnn: Yeah. Phil Wegman is a great kid. I had him in class and his brother too, and he's thriving. He I remember he's what he's worked for real Clear Politics, I think, and several outlets. And he got admitted to the presidential briefings in the white House. And that was a big deal. And of course, you know, in my line of work, you get to watch him grow up and they go on and do great things. And I remember Phil and I corresponded when he found out he was going to get to do that. And I was so excited for him. And now he's at the Wall Street Journal. So yeah.
Hugh Hewitt: I.
Larry Arnn: Think I.
Hugh Hewitt: Think he is now at the best news platform in America, as is Jack Butler over at their editorial page to Hillsdale Ians. So your your effort to take over the world is proceeding apace now. Let's turn to the very serious stuff tonight at 8 p.m., which we will be broadcasting this on Friday. There's a deadline that President Trump has re-emphasized. All the bridges and the power plants get blown up. Those are not war crimes, by the way. They're all dual use. I just want to assure people who have been reading left wing blogs and hysterical commentators. Bridge is a classic bridge over the river of Toko RI, or the Bridge of Toko RI and Bridge Over the River Kwai. These are all traditional military targets, as are power plants used by the IRGC. What do you make of the reaction to the threat? And we're out on prediction limb here. I think he's going to do it. What do you think, doctor? Answer.
S4: Well, I'm.
Larry Arnn: Happy to report that I don't know uh and.
S4: And, uh.
Larry Arnn: And we, uh, can't know. And yeah, I, I do, I'm of the opinion that he understands that we can't know, uh, uh, of the war effort so far. It's just awesome. Uh, the hardest part. Uh, more than 50% of success is at the end. And how do we end it? Uh, one way to end it, uh, I mean, first of all, there are some definite good things that have happened here so far that are beyond question. One of them is the war making power of Iran is set back, and that's good. They use it to attack us and friends of ours. Uh, a second thing is our relations with the Gulf states seem to have been thriving. And I think that's partly because there's something really good going on in some of those Gulf states. They have diminished their support, and some of them ended their support of the crazy forms of Islam. They're not all as crazy as some are, and some of them are probably not crazy, but I'm not expert enough to be sure of that. It's certainly a very big and important thing, and it ain't going to go away. And so it's nothing but good for the world if it moderates. And so one possible end, I mean, first of all, we've got those two things and those are good. Uh, the question of the Strait of Hormuz cuts in two different directions. Um, because of all the great powers in the world, we're the ones who need it the least. And this has given Trump an opportunity to make a point more forcefully than he's been making ever since he emerged into politics. And that is the people closest to the danger most affected by the danger need to carry the main burden of the danger, or at least they need to pitch in as much as they can. And. And the Strait of Hormuz is a very hard nut to crack, I think, and they should crack it, and maybe we should help them crack it. So I even think, you know, but I don't I don't know, first of all, we don't know. It's a very fluid situation. The president is talking to us and to the Iranians at the same time. And everything, everything he says is conditioned by that combination. And so that's why I don't know what he's going to say tonight or do tonight. I think, you know, one strategy that's appealing to me for ending the war is, uh, walking away and continuing to build up the Gulf states. And I think, by the way, we, uh, I read a very intelligent thing the other day. And remember, the word intelligent is not the same thing as true, because these are all things that are hard to know, right? But this intelligent thing that I read said that we have actually gained massive leverage in the world because we're an energy exporter and the main competitive world regions in the world that compete with us on that are Venezuela, whose disposition has changed, and the Gulf states, and both of them are sort of brought around to a better place, at least Venezuela. So the point is, maybe we've gotten stronger from this. That's to be proved and seen with time. But that's one of the ways you judge a war. Are you stronger after it's over or are you weaker?
Hugh Hewitt: And I think it's going to be very hard for us to emerge weaker from this. But I think it could go on. I've been telling, uh, my friends I expect it to be over in early June, but not before. And I think that includes cleanup. But I agree with you completely that he's talking to the Iranian people and the Iranian elite through his post, primarily to whomever is running that country during the rescue, which we'll talk about after the break. We hit a command bunker with more than 50 IRGC senior leaders in it, because they weren't expecting in the middle of this command, this amazing search and rescue operation, they were not expecting the B-2s to arrive from the Midwest of America and drop the massive Ordnance penetrators on their Supersecret command bunker. That wasn't super secret. So for the third time in five weeks, they've had a mass casualty event among the leadership meeting. They don't learn, but we'll talk more about that right after the break. All things hillsdale@hillsdale.edu. Of course, all the Hillsdale dialogues are found at hue for hillsdale.com. I'll be right back with Doctor Orange. Stay tuned. Welcome back America. Hugh Hewitt with Doctor Larry Arnn, president of Hillsdale College. Everything about Hillsdale is@hillsdale.edu. You can sign up@hillsdale.edu for the Imprimis newsletter for all there. I know dozens of free online courses that will make you smart and maybe wise. And all of our previous Hillsdale dialogues are found at hue for hillsdale.com. I want to ask you about your reaction to you had a child in the American military. I've had one in the American military. I still have a son in law and a nephew on active duty, and I have never been more amazed in my lifetime. And TB was always the greatest display of daring and moxie that I'd ever seen. But that was against Uganda. And Israel had the element of surprise beyond any element of surprise. But I think this past weekend the rescue of these downed airmen was just Astonishing. How did you react to it?
S4: Well.
Larry Arnn: I, um, it's two days old now, but I watched, uh, there's a guy on YouTube named Ward Carroll.
S4: Yup.
Larry Arnn: He's got another guy named Jack who joined him, and they. And what they are is old military jocks. I mean, they're not that old, but they're retired or out of the military.
Hugh Hewitt: Ward's younger than I know. Ward. Yeah, Ward's a fighter pilot.
S4: Yeah. Yeah.
Larry Arnn: That's pretty amazing. You know, I hear these guys talk for an hour about what's going on. First of all, they know all the weapons. Second of all, they're getting intelligence all the time while they're talking, and they call it that. And sometimes it's just something they read on X, and sometimes they'll hold up a paper that somebody sent him. And they know a lot of people who are involved and they're just marveling at this, right. And, uh, you know, questions come up like apparently in the Air Force, there's a team of people whose specialty is pilot rescue. That's what they do. And they're fairly, very tough and very good at it. They go in harm's way. That's an expression they love and they go in harm's way. You know, and there are a lot of people in the military who don't go in harm's way. And so they make that distinction all the time. Well, I don't think those guys. Well, anyway, for some reason, maybe those guys were involved and maybe they weren't. But Seal Team six was involved. And then we use Hercules. And those are precious because we don't make any more. And they're extremely versatile. And we didn't use the Osprey. And the Osprey is a marine mostly used plane. I think that can take off like a plane and do 250 knots, which is some number bit higher than miles an hour, I think. And it can also hover land up and down straight. Why didn't they use the Osprey? Well, maybe it wasn't close enough. So they go on about all that. But the point is they were more and more than 70 aircraft involved in this thing.
S4: Yep.
Larry Arnn: And, uh, we didn't take any casualties. There was a firefight in the middle of it. We used the big bombers B one. They said, uh, and we sealed off the area as best we could. There's still a firefight. And this colonel, still unnamed at this, uh, at this talking, he had a bad ankle, maybe broken, maybe sprained. And he went up 7000ft in a mountain to hide in a crevice crevasse.
Hugh Hewitt: The detail, he had been knocked out. He had been out for hours when he woke up and realized where he was and then got it together. He's not young, either. He's an oh six. He's not a young guy.
S4: Yeah, yeah.
Larry Arnn: So he's a big deal, right? And, uh, and he's a weapon specialist operator or something. And, uh, that's, that's how they, and they got all these Acronyms. And then once in a while, intelligence will come in while these two guys are talking and, and, uh, it'll have an acronym in it and they don't know what it is. And that's all fun, you know, because they know all the acronyms almost. And, uh, yeah. And, and we went and got that guy and a lot of people were involved. I mean, that means hundreds of people were involved actively there in the forms of attack. We we don't make C-130s anymore. And we haven't settled on a replacement yet. And then also we used little birds, which are little bitty helicopters that are very lethal and carry 6 or 8 troops at a time and carry some guns. So we use that in the C-130s and we use something else. It's a lighter, more modern version of the C-130 that doesn't carry as much stuff. And so we had to leave some stuff and we and the point is. Yeah. And the stuff we left, uh, they had pictures of it. We destroyed it. We left 1 or 2 C-130s or one and two. 1 or 2 little birds. Couldn't get them out. And so we bombed them from the air into smithereens. And darned if they didn't have a picture of that. And it looked like devastation itself. But, uh, so, you know, precision bombing is a major development in human history and.
Hugh Hewitt: Its impact on our adversaries not named Iran. Iran. We got two minutes to the break. What do you think is the impact on our adversaries not named Iran, of doing that mission?
S4: Well, I think.
Larry Arnn: The Gulf states are important, and I think Trump knows that. And I've learned since he gave a speech that I liked a long time ago, uh, months ago, after he got reelected, he went over there and he gave a really tour de force speech with a room full of Arabs in Qatar, I think. And he said, you know, you guys have done great things here according to your principles. We're doing great things. We're going to trade, we're going to get along. We're going to all get more prosperous. And if anybody tries to hurt my country, I'm going to kill them. That was more or less his speech. And it was kind of a new and I want to make this point. What's different about the this Middle East war, whether it works out or not and it may not, is that we are not saying that the only security for us is democracy everywhere in the world.
S4: You bet.
Larry Arnn: That is a good. That is beyond our power to produce. And it makes for infinite warfare.
Hugh Hewitt: A recognition of a limiting principle that has gone unremarked upon. Actually, until you just said it right now. Don't go anywhere, America. I'll be back with Doctor Oren right after this, except a hillsdale.edu or hue for hillsdale.com. Welcome back America. Doctor Larry Arnn is the president of Hillsdale College, which it is high season for admissions, and I'm sure it's high season for disappointment. Up at Hillsdale and high season of appeals to the president. Uh, so good luck there, doctor. Aaron, do you get appeals to the president after admissions season decisions?
Larry Arnn: Always. Uh, I didn't used to, but now I do. It's gotten kind of hard to get in. And, uh, I remember years ago, I said to the admissions counselor, I said, he said, how many applications do we want? I said a lot. He said, how will we know when we have enough? I said, we probably never will. I said, but, uh, because, you know, it's I can tell you the conditions of success in higher education if you want, but it has very much to do with how bad you want to. In other words, there's a thing that we can all have if we choose to have. And that is an urgent wish to learn. And if we have that, we can learn. Anyway, I said, maybe I'll be able to tell when important people start calling me about their kids and I won't be able to help them. And that happens now.
Hugh Hewitt: Ah, well, my my friends who run colleges say the most difficult issues are alumni, children and parking for faculty. I don't think you have the latter problem. So let me move on to the next question. You have a brand new online course, Classical Logic and Rhetoric, which I would recommend everyone in the country to investigate over@hillsdale.edu. President Trump's rhetoric is not classical. He is a reality TV trained developer who uses Truth Social and X. What do you make of his rhetoric since it's not classical?
Larry Arnn: Well, you can use the classical tools to analyze them. First of all, obviously President Trump's rhetoric is effective. Never mind that it puts a lot of people off. It attracts more. I mean, in elections at least more. It is unique in my knowing, because here's a guy who talks about himself all the time and only and only has one kind of adjective, the superlative. I've never seen that before. And, uh, he makes that work better than anybody I've ever seen. Uh, I've never seen anybody try before to that extent. I have been fitted in my life to sit directly in front of him 4 or 5 times and watch him give a speech, and I think I can tell that he means it. Uh, I here's what he means. I mean, first of all, he does have a wonderful sense of humor. And a lot of what he says is for effect. And when I say he means it, I think he knows the difference. Probably because if you just watch his face when he's talking and there you are. If you're sitting there, you you know, I'm not an important man in the Trump administration. I just help them with the Declaration of Independence. Uh, but I've been around them some and, uh, and I, I think he means it, and I think he makes it work and yeah, so, but he's very, uh, singular, maybe unique, I don't know, and I think he means it.
Hugh Hewitt: And that's the one thing I'll add to that. I'll add Doctor Aaron. I've had the opportunity to interview him and question him in public more than 30 times. And I have learned he is very unique because he is unrestrained by the conventions that attend most politicians. I'm. I think politicians are is a fine thing to be. I think you to aspire to want to be a political leader is a fine thing to be. But I've been rereading Battle Cry of Freedom by McPherson about World War Two, about the Civil War, and Lincoln would always throw away the letters he'd write to people like George Meade because they became intemperate. This is not a problem or a restraint that President Trump feels. Do you agree with me on that?
Larry Arnn: Well, I think he uses the fact that he transgresses that artfully. I had an argument with a friend of mine, a good man, and who was and is a never Trumper. And he said, how can you believe a word he says? And I said, well, there are two reasons this isn't a public argument. One time, a kind of debate. We had several hundred people there. I said, there are two reasons. I said, one is he's been saying the main things he's saying for as long as he's been talking about politics. And at that time, the earliest instance I knew were in the late 80s. This is in 2015. The second reason is he does say it so outrageously that people get to thinking he means it. And that's a point. How do you, uh, like, uh, in politics, you know, when you're beset with, uh, controversy. Every word you say and any word you say can echo around the world in an instant. One of the things you learn is kind of bureaucratese, you know? Yeah.
Hugh Hewitt: And repetition, which he uses, he uses repetition. I'll be right back with Doctor Arnn. Don't go anywhere except to hillsdale.edu. We're going to talk birthright citizenship and the attorney general right after this. Welcome back America. I'm Hugh Hewitt since last doctor and I spoke on the Hillsdale dialogue all things hillsdale@hillsdale.edu. There have been two major changes in the cabinet. The Department of Homeland Security is now headed by former Senator Markwayne Mullin, and the attorney general is now acting Attorney General Todd Blanche, Attorney General Pam Bondi out. I don't know any of the back stories. They're always more complicated than people know until you talk to the principals. But I do know that the job of being attorney general requires great talent. It might be, I think, doctor, on the most important job in the cabinet, because the president can intuit and can override as secretary of state or or Secretary of Transportation, he can understand that. But when you talk to the Attorney General, you're talking about the corpus of American law and the the fact that we are a republic of laws, and that individual has to be able to translate and persuade. And he has not had great success with that, though. Bill Barr got along with him fine until after the election of 2020, and then they fell out. What do you think he needs in the AG's office? I've worked for both Ed Meese and William French Smith. I know you can be a vastly different character and be a good attorney general.
Larry Arnn: Yeah, well, I know Ed Meese well, and I met William French Smith, but Ed Meese was, you know, a friend of Ronald Reagan from early days. That's a good thing, especially if you because you know, what you basically said is you have to know the law and you have to you have to have the purposes of the president in your heart and mind, and you have to pursue them legally. And that takes artfulness. You need to be a really good lawyer. You know, I will tell you, I think Pam Bondi, I had a very high opinion of her. And I don't know what all this is about. I do have a student who worked for him her in a high place and he admires her. So I have nothing but good words for her. And. But I don't know. And I think he's looking for a highly skilled attorney who has his agenda in mind.
Hugh Hewitt: And I don't want to I don't want to stretch what the job of a college president is. But it's complex. It's got thousands of people depending upon it, and you have to have a general counsel and outside counsel, and they have to work with you. A non-lawyer, but who knows a lot about the law. And they have to be able to be very, very specific about what you can and cannot do. And you've been through some perilous times when the governor of Michigan wanted to come after you. And what did you want from your general counsel, which is what a president needs from their AG uh, what is the law and what I can do? AM I right about that?
Larry Arnn: Yeah, it depends on two circumstances. It depends on circumstances a lot. But you always want two things. One is you want to do what you want to do, and you need to have reasons for that. And the other is you need to do it successfully. And one part of that would be not going to jail. Uh, and so, you know, I mean, there have been hints that I might be put in jail over the Covid stuff. Um, but, uh, you know, you have to, and so you need a lawyer. I mean, I, alas, have had more to do with lawyers than I ever set out to do. You're one of them. But, um, uh, the best lawyers that I have worked with and very good one now, several very good ones. Now they are. You believe, and they prove that they have the right intentions, including cooperating with you who are ultimately responsible, and also that they're very skilled in the law. And that, that, that that means when they say, no, you can believe them, that that probably is the right answer. And then you reason with them about it. But there's advice in all forms of administration because we're human beings and it crops up everywhere. Sometimes people try to use their position for their personal proclivities as against the mission and the larger good of the institution. And sometimes people try to use their position as a source of power in the institution. And when, when, when you sense that It means you've got a problem.
Hugh Hewitt: And that brings us back to Smith and Meese. They were very selfless men. Superb lawyers. Served. Reagan served the country completely selfless. Had no ambition. I want to begin the conversation about birthright citizenship because I'm going to stake my position, which you're going to disagree with, I think, which is that original public meaning of the 14th amendment was clear. Forget the colloquy on the Senate floor that precedes it. But the public meaning was birthright citizenship, unless you're a diplomat. And that's how we applied it through the Great Migration, 1880 to 1920. And then we began to write statutes. And so I don't think the president has a snowball's chance of winning this lawsuit. And at best, it will be seven two, uh, upholding birthright citizenship. But what say you?
Larry Arnn: Well, I don't know how they're going to vote. I don't I'm not optimistic about that. I think that the the 14th amendment. One of the principal authors of it is a man named Bingham, and he was one of the people who carried it in the floor and had a course in graduate school where we read the entire congressional globe of all those debates. And he made the point. This guy Bingham, that seems to me dispositive. And that is, if you owe loyalty to another nation, then your children are not automatically citizens. And that that seems to me the vital thing, right? That and that. And that's in the context of this. It's in that that there are several quotes like that. But that particular one is one where he mentions ambassadors and their children. And so it's not just that you're representing a foreign country, it's that you owe your loyalty to him to it. You have not gone through the process of transferring your loyalty to the United States of America. And, uh, and maybe we have applied that wrong, uh, or opposed to that all these decades, but I don't think it makes any difference. I think that the point is America is a set of practices and beliefs. It is a nation formed under a social contract, and you have to join up somehow.
Hugh Hewitt: I that's what I think we will see. That particular quote, that exchange, that colloquy on the floor dealt with in the majority's opinion. And I think the answer will be what Justice Scalia has always said, long standing interpretation, deeply rooted in our history and tradition, Trump statutory history. I think that's what's going to happen. We will find out and we'll talk about it on the Hillsdale dialogue at the end of June. But I'll be right back with one more question for Doctor Ahran this week. And again, we do not know what happened Tuesday night when we taping this. Stay with us. Welcome back America. Hugh Hewitt with doctor Larry Arnn president of Hillsdale College. Everything about Hillsdale, including your free subscription to Imprimis and wonderful free online courses, is@hillsdale.edu. And there's a new course on classical rhetoric, which I really recommend to you. I also want you to know all the dialogues found@hughforhillsdale.com. Doctor Ian, you and I have been watching Democrats for a long time, both in California 35 years ago and every week. And it seems to me that there is an ongoing collapse of the other party in the United States, not the Republicans, into a party of the genuine left of the European left. You've got John Fetterman left, Angus King, who's an independent, who caucuses with the Democrat, maybe 1 or 2 others. But what do you make of what's happening to the Democrats?
Larry Arnn: Well, uh, Um, you know, first of all, they may be on the eve of a big victory in the midterms. And, uh, they'll be full of themselves if they are. And, uh, uh, they do seem to have more trouble than they used to have. Putting a good face on many of their opinions. Uh, I politics are more intensely partisan than right now in any time in my lifetime. And it divides everybody and, uh, and they seem to be on a side and what used to be, you know, we, we used to at least pay lip service to a time, you know, we love the stories about tip O'Neill, the speaker of the House with a big majority during most of Reagan's time. All of it, all of it. Reagan's time, the majority at least. And he and Reagan, you know, and, uh, tip O'Neill was a Boston Irishman, and he and Reagan would drink whiskey and have a good talk and cut a deal. Uh, those days are not with us these days. And that's sad. Uh, I wish it were not so. And and, you know, a lot of, you know, one side blames Donald Trump and who is a partisan man on one side blames them. And that's another element of the partisanship that and you know, what I think it comes from is not just, uh, temper or personal character. The questions involved are very big, right? I mean, they reach right down directly to what is a human being. How many sexes do they come in? What are their rights? What are the sources of their rights? Uh, you know, uh, who is the senator who said of late that, uh, as if he'd never read the Declaration of Independence? Well, our rights don't come from God. They come from government. Well, that means, uh, but for the filibuster, they could redefine them in the Senate on a 51, 49 vote. And, and, uh, that's, that's not the correct understanding, but it is fundamentally important that some people have that understanding.
Hugh Hewitt: And I think we're going to end it there, because it is indeed a time of great division in the country, because, as Doctor Arnn said, maybe in the first Hillsdale dialogue we did all those years ago, fundamental things are afoot and they remain afoot. We'll talk about them when we can again in about three weeks. We'll check in on the progress of the war. Thank you doctor. Larry Arnn all things hillsdale@hillsdale.edu.
Scot bertram: Thanks for listening to the Hillsdale Dialogues, part of the Hillsdale College Podcast Network. More episodes@podcast.hillsdale.edu or wherever you find your audio. For more information about Hillsdale College, head to hillsdale.edu.