S1: From the historic campus of Hillsdale College in Hillsdale, Michigan, where the good, the true and the beautiful are taught, nurtured and honored. This is the radio free Hillsdale Hour, bringing the activity and education of the college to listeners across the country.
S2: It turns out that every single additional paper produces less and less actual improvements in health per paper. We're spending a lot of money, but per dollar that we spend, we're not getting as much as we might as we have. People have labeled that the scientific stagnation problem.
S3: This is your host, Scott Bertram. Welcome to the Radio Free Hillsdale Hour. Part of the Hillsdale College Podcast Network. That was Jay Bhattacharya from the National Institutes of Health. Today, we hear excerpts from a lecture he gave in April of this year titled Restoring Gold standard science. And later on in today's program, historian Mark Edward Lender joins us. He'll tell us the keys to victory in the American Revolution. First, with Doctor Anthony Fauci and Covid back in the news cycle, we listen back to portions of a lecture by Jay Bhattacharya from the National Institutes of Health, from a Hillsdale College National Leadership Seminar in April of 2026 titled Restoring Gold Standard Science. Bhattacharya begins by giving his diagnosis for what happened during Covid.
S2: The problem we have now, and it was it was the reason the root cause of what happened during Covid is that we have a scientific authority that decides what's true and false, instead of instead of the normal functioning of science. And it's not just one person. I could, I could highlight Doctor Fauci. And that would be a very simple kind of example, right? Everyone you remember the votive candles to Doctor Fauci anyone? Anyone buy one I one. Just not a single person bought a votive candle. Um, I have to say, it's I find it deeply uncomfortable also to, to be a scientific authority, because I think really the root of the first scientific revolution was that there wasn't a scientific authority. What you had instead was you had a displacement of the power to decide for society to decide an epistemological authority. Um, out of the hands of a small number of ecclesiastical powers. And you put it instead in the hands of a few very clever people with telescopes, right. That they got to decide if the moons of Jupiter move. We are in a situation now, and I think Covid made that situation bear that a relatively small number of journal editors, uh, people who pontificate on TV about science directors of the National Institutes of Health get to decide what's true or false in science, and I think that's a pretty big problem.
S3: Jay Bhattacharya continues by assessing the current state of America's health.
S2: We're not a healthy nation, and that's just a sad fact. The Make America Healthy Again movement. I'm allowed to say that political slogan here, aren't I? It's a political slogan, but it comes out of a real cry for help from the American people. We aren't a healthy nation. We have. We have huge chronic disease problems. But because of the Make America Healthy movement again, I think we actually have a chance of, of, of, of solving these problems. Um, but we can only do it if we fix science. If we want to make America healthy again, we have to get the science. We have to launch the second scientific revolution, right? Because it's not just that we should look to gurus to decide how to make America healthy again. I mean, this is part of the problem. Doctor Aaron mentioned podcasts. There's some great podcasts out there. But is it easy to tell who to get the information from? No, it's very it's very, very confusing. And it's a symptom actually of the problems of science.
S3: We're listening to excerpts from a lecture by Jay Bhattacharya at a Hillsdale College National Leadership Seminar in April of 2026. The lecture, entitled Restoring Gold Standard Science, Bhattacharya continues by outlining the problems of science. Why are we not making more progress? He begins with the replication crisis.
S2: I'm going to show you some evidence about this, but it turns out that it is often the case that when people publish scientific articles, even articles you see on TV or touted by podcasters or whatever, when independent people look at the same article or same ask the same question, do the same, even sometimes the same experiment, they don't find the same answer. And the vast majority of science is not actually subject to replication. That's a major problem because because what that means is that a lot of what the science we read, a lot of the science that we see, um, is not actually true. Just to put a fine point on it, I mean, it means, it means that when you are making decisions about your health and you go look up an article, uh, you try to read it and it gives you an answer. A lot of the time it's not right. And that means and that's true even for your doctors. Your doctors will look things up and they'll give advice based on, on essentially bad, bad, like bad science. I mean, for instance, I'll give you an example. Um, are eggs good for you? Eggs are good for you. Eggs are good for you. Now they're the superfood, right? I grew up in the 19. My dad had a heart attack when I was when I was 13 years old and in the in the 80s, early 80s. And, um, uh, back then, uh, eggs were poison. Remember that? Uh, I did not eat an egg until I was 19 years old. And then it was a horrible egg white omelet. I don't because because because of the cholesterol thing, right? So egg whites then were good for you in the 90s and now eggs are superfood. Why is that? I could go on about examples like this. It's the replication crisis, the scientific ideas that that rule our society are not subject to the kinds of things that we all learn when we first learned about science are the basis of truth. Lots of clever people using telescopes to look to the moons of Jupiter. They all see the moons of Jupiter move. Then we decide together the moons of Jupiter move right. We take as authority of someone at Harvard published something and that therefore, that person must be right about that thing, right? It was published in a top medical journal. Authority is replaced replication as the basis of truth in science. It's a major epistemological problem that's solvable.
S3: The second problem of science, as Jay Bhattacharya outlines, is scientific stagnation.
S2: This is a funny claim to make, but it's actually true. Per dollar that we spend on science, we get. We get less and less advanced than we did ten, 20, 30, 40, 50 years ago. I'll show you some evidence on that in biomedicine. Um, just to, just to give some examples of that. There's you've all heard of Moore's Law. Moore's law is the, is the, is that the speed of CPUs doubles every, every few years. Right. Um, that actually apparently is no longer true. The speed of CPUs are no longer doubling at that at that rapid rate anymore. Um, in, in biomedicine, it turns out that every single additional paper produces less and less actual improvements in health per paper. Right? So like, I'll show you some evidence in just a second in a bit about, about randomized trials. Um, that's now we're spending a lot of money and we are actually getting advances. I already told you that about the cystic fibrosis and the and the and all, all of the big, big advances. But per dollar that we spend, we're not getting as much as we might as we have. People have labeled that the scientific stagnation problem. Now, again, I think there's reason. The reasons have to do at least. I think the reasons the. The way to solve it is, is through some reforms at the NIH that I've been working on. I'm going to I'm going to brag about in just a bit.
S3: We're listening to a lecture by Jay Bhattacharya at a Hillsdale College National Leadership Seminar in April of 2026. The third problem of science, says Bhattacharya, outlines, is funding concentration.
S2: About a third of the portfolio of the of the third of the money that spending. The NIH goes to about 20 institutions, 20 institutions. Now, I know that Hillsdale is not one of them, because famously, Hillsdale takes $0 from federal government. But there are excellent scientists at Hillsdale. And just as there are excellent scientists all across the country, I've now gone on a tour of so many different colleges across the country, studiously avoiding as best I could any of the top 20. And the reason I've done that is because I wanted to see. And what I found is that everywhere you go in Alabama, in Iowa and Kansas in in in Wisconsin, in Arizona, what you find is excellent institutions not in the top 20 that do not receive, like, you know, a third of our portfolio of money. You have excellent institutions with excellent scientists who have a much less of a chance to get NIH support for their research than if you are a scientist in one of those top 20. And that's the problem, right? We are competing with the Chinese who have made tremendous investments in their biomedical research enterprise. Actually, they've stolen a lot of ours and we've trained them too. But that's another story. Um, we have to. So, but, but in order to solve that problem, in order to really compete with the Chinese, in order to really make the kinds of advances that can translate over to better health for Americans. We have to we have to empower scientists wherever they are. It doesn't matter if they come from Stanford or Harvard or whatever. If they have a great idea, we should be. We should. We should be funding them. We should be trying trying out ideas with them. All right. So I'm going to give you those are the that's that's my diagnosis. I've given you my three, three reasons. I think that we have this problem and we're fixed that we're in.
S3: We will continue in a moment with more from Jay Bhattacharya's lecture at a national leadership seminar for Hillsdale College on restoring gold standard Science. First, if you have 30s, take a quick break, go to radio our.hillsdale.edu because we want to stay in touch with you. If you click the subscribe button at the top of the screen and then enter your email address, you'll be signed up for our email list every week. One email from us telling you about the brand new radio free Hillsdale Hour episode. Might it be Victor Davis Hanson this week, or Mollie Hemingway or Doctor Matt Spalding from Hillsdale in DC, or Carol Markowitz or Heather MacDonald? We'll tell you our guests each week via email so you don't miss a thing. Go to Radio hour.hillsdale.edu, click the subscribe button at the top of the page and enter your email address, and then we'll be in contact. We continue now with excerpts from a lecture by Jay Bhattacharya from the National Institutes of Health. It's titled Restoring Gold Standard Science. This was delivered in April of 2026 at Hillsdale College National Leadership Seminar. We previously heard Doctor Bhattacharya outline the problems of science, why we're not making more progress now, some potential solutions. He begins by outlining and explaining the cause of the replication crisis.
S2: It's authority. It's authority. We decide that we've elevated a relatively few sources of knowledge of of authority to decide for us what is true or false in society. Maybe Doctor Fauci, maybe CNN. God forbid. Don't do that. Um, you know, it could it could be anything but um, but we, we pick these sources. It could be podcasts. We pick these sources of authority and say, well, this is what's going to determine what's true or false rather than, rather than replication. Uh, the way that we solve the problem then is by making replication the standard of authority in medicine, the standard of truth in medicine. Essentially, it's an epistemological revolution. And actually the the lucky thing for me is that the NIH can do that. And this is something I'm working on this year. Very, very simple thing. First, we have to fund replication, not something that's like sexy, right? Because I'm like, okay, I'm going to every time I say I'm going to fund replication, I start to see people yawn. It's a terrible thing. Um, but I have to do it because if I don't fund replication, then how do you know what's what's true or false? Now, I don't want the government to tell us what what should be replicated, what shouldn't. In fact, what happens now is if some if some student comes to me and say, Jay, I want to replicate your paper, I view it as a threat to my career. Right? Because what if they find if I'm wrong? Oh my God, a scientist is wrong. That'd be terrible. The problem here is that is that is that we need to make replication a source of advancements in science. Like, it's actually a great honor. Some scientist comes to me and says, Jay, I want to replicate your work. Well, that means my idea is worth replicating, worth looking at. And if they find it's not true, then maybe we can figure out why we got a different answer. That's how we advance science together. Make science into a collaborative thing, rather than one where we're looking over our shoulder worried that what I what I'm saying doesn't replicate.
S3: Bhattacharya continues by talking about scientific stagnation and how to get things moving once again.
S2: The average age at which people got their. Get their first large grant at the NIH in the 1980s, you could be in your 30s and you would get a large grant, you get your first large grant. Now, the age at which a scientist earns their first large grant from the NIH is is the mid 40s. That's what this very depressing graph shows you. We require young scientists to do postdoc one, postdoc two. Postdoc three. After they've done their PhD. After they've graduated from Hillsdale, they still can't get an assistant professor job, much less get support to get to try their new ideas out. Um, it's also true that it's young scientists that are the most likely to have new ideas in the first place. Um, this is the most depressing paper I've ever this is the paper I wrote in Mikko Packalen is the most depressing paper I ever wrote. I'll show you why in just a second. Um, the question it asks is, uh, when in your career are you most likely to publish a newer idea? I just there's no way to sugarcoat this. It's like it's the first year after you finish your PhD. My career age is. I first published my first paper in 1996. I'm do the math 30 years old in career age when I was 0 or 1 years old is when I was most likely to publish a new idea. The 30 year olds are all way on the right side of that graph. The probability of publishing new ideas declines monotonically with career age. And yet we are now in a scientific ecosystem where we delay the time to which people get their first support for large, large grants long into the future.
S3: We're listening to excerpts from a lecture by Jay Bhattacharya for Hillsdale College in April of 2026 at a national leadership seminar entitled Restoring Gold Standard Science, Bhattacharya says we also need to change how funding decisions are made.
S2: We have to give support for early career scientists. We've already done some, some, some, some some things to do this. But this is this is a culture, a major cultural shift that's taking place in our scientific, uh, um, in science over the last several decades, we have essentially, uh, made it much more difficult for early career scientists to get their ideas, uh, you know, attempted. We made it much more difficult for early careers. We've made it too easy to fail as a scientist, as an early career scientist. Right. So what happens is you, um, in Silicon Valley, you start a firm, you're 22 years old. Somehow you convince somebody to give you $30 million and you start a firm, um, and it fails, but it was a productive failure. And then you get another shot where someone gives you $60 million. It's a real good business if you can get it, but it's not everyone gets it right. Um, the problem in science is that if you do your PhD and you don't get your paper published, well, you don't get a chance that the postdoc number one, if you don't get your a, a fancy paper published postdoc one, you don't get postdoc two it's so easy to fail in signs anywhere along the training path. And we have to change that. We have to make science more resilient and easier and with with possibilities of success. So that early career scientists can try their ideas out earlier and earlier. Second, we have to start funding ideas that are that we don't know they're going to work. We have to fund ideas that are the bleeding edge.
S3: And here, Jay Bhattacharya outlines the tricky trap of acquiring research funding.
S2: In order to attract scientists to your institution, where that can win those grant applications. You better have great facilities. I can tell you, what I've seen is that lots of young scientists at some of these top institutions, they can't get lab space because it's so competitive. At the same time, you have people with amazing ideas outside of these top institutions that can't that don't have a chance of getting our money because they're an institution that is not that doesn't have that fancy lab space the NIH gives you. We give facility support, but the way that we do that is by. We look at all the project money that all the projects. If you look and if you win the projects, um, you get the grant money. What's the solution to this? The solution to this is a radical change and I'm going to work on this this coming year. You cut the link between the direct money and the indirect money and instead have market competition for the facilities money. And then you allow researchers to more easily move the project money that they've won to the places where the labs now are. And you have a dynamic market that attracts scientists to go to the places where the facilities are. Essentially, what this will do is just expand the places where we send our money. Um, and it'll allow the facility support to go not just to 20 institutions, but to wherever the great scientists are. And then you build the institution up and attract the great scientist to your institution. It'll supercharge science across the country because the NIH money essentially is a seed seed money that that that attracts other investments in institutions. It shouldn't just be 20 institutions in this country that get half our money or a third of our money.
S3: Doctor Jay Bhattacharya from the National Institutes of Health concludes his lecture by explaining how all of this works together to point toward a second scientific revolution.
S2: The unified funding strategy makes sure that the portfolio is at the bleeding edge, that we are funding early career scientists with the newest ideas so that we get back to funding things at the bleeding edge, solve the stagnation problem. But if your funding ideas the bleeding edge, you better check if they're true. And so you solve the replication crisis. And so you allow people to do replication work to check if these bleeding ideas, the bleeding edge are true. And then finally, you recruit scientists from everywhere with this with this new funding model of funding research. And what you have is a second scientific revolution. I started this with a pessimistic note, and I want to end with an optimistic note. We can solve these the nation's health problems. We are the most important nation in the world for many, many reasons, not least of which is that we are a nation that is absolutely devoted, that has tremendous scientific accomplishment to point to. And the future is bright. The future is bright because the investments that that that we make in science can translate over to better health for people. If only we if we solve the things that have led to us where we are, there's no reason for you to listen to me as an authority. Let's instead reason together and figure out what the what, what, what way to what what's true in science, and make investments that really meet the health problems of the country. Thank you so much, and thanks for your kind attention.
S3: That's Doctor Jay Bhattacharya from the National Institutes of Health. His restoring gold standard science from April of 2026. At a Hillsdale College National Leadership Seminar, you can find the entire lecture at Hillsdale. Freedom Library at Freedom library.hillsdale.edu. Up next, historian Mark Edward Lender joins us. We'll discuss the keys to victory in the American Revolution. I'm Scott Bertram. This is the radio free Hillsdale Hour. We're back on the radio free Hillsdale hour. I'm Scott Bertram. Be sure to follow us on X at Hillsdale Radio. We're joined by Mark Edward Lender. He has a PhD in American history from Rutgers University, professor emeritus of history at Kean University, also the author or co-author of 11 books, including Fatal Sunday, George Washington The Monmouth Campaign and The Politics of Battle. And the New One is War Without Mercy. Liberty or death in the American Revolution. Also here on Hillsdale's campus, part of our lecture series on 1776. Delivering a lecture on Keys to Victory in the Revolution. Mark, thanks so much for joining us.
S4: Well, thank you Scott. It's a pleasure to be here.
S3: Mark, how did the British treatment of the colonies initially spark this war?
S4: Well, there are so many myths, particularly as to why the Americans won that war. And there's a question is, did they win the war? Maybe the British lost it. And there is a difference. I was asked for last night's lecture to to discuss, uh, the keys to the Patriot victory. And it was, uh, historians love to get asked questions like this because the answer is almost completely Subjective. I mean, I've got to pick and choose between any number of issues. And historians dealt with this question for generations. You take this disparate group of colonies and you match them up against the probably at that time, the premier military power in Europe, well trained, well equipped army with a very capable officer corps. People make jokes sometimes about the automatons of the British army. That's nonsense. These were good troops. They were motivated. They were led by a career officer corps. So how did they do it? There's a lot of things that come into play on this. And I think part of the reason you've got to begin with the issue of motivation. I mean, uh, what what possessed these people to take up arms in the first place? And, and for that, I think we have to look back to the British and specifically to Edmund Burke, the Anglo-Irish statesman conservative writer who, in looking at the relationship between the mother country and her colonies, came up with the term salutary neglect, meaning that the British got their empire on a cheap. They had the economic benefits and strategic benefits of the colonies without a great deal of overhead, because they let the colonies rule themselves. The Colonials like the arrangement, of course, because well, they were loyal to the. To the King. They had a very ambiguous relationship to Parliament, and they liked that. This ended with British victory in the Seven Years War, or in the American context, the French and Indian War. All of a sudden they've got an empire to run. They've got Canada. They've picked up colonies elsewhere. So in rationalizing the whole thing, then came this whole series of acts, which, you know, we learn about from third grade on the the Tea Act, the Sugar Act, the Quebec Act, the proclamation of 1763, and that brought an end there, a practical end to salutary neglect. All of a sudden, uh, these colonials are no longer going to have the kind of local autonomy they come to expect as a right as rights of Englishmen. So what happens now? Uh, I think the best answer by a 91 year old militia captain, Levi Prescott. And he, uh, was Massachusetts. He's a Lexington and Concord, uh, veteran. And he was asked why, you know, what was this all about? He said, well, I, I didn't use any stamps for the Stamp act. Forget the Tea act. I never read any of these radical Republican ideology, ideological things. We had always governed ourselves. We always meant to govern ourselves. And they meaning the British. They didn't mean we should.
S3: Mark was the entirety of the revolution motivated by this desire to return to self-governance that the colonies had enjoyed under earlier British salutary neglect, or did the motivation for the war change over time?
S4: I think there was enough of that feeling to. Certainly there was enough of that feeling to spark armed resistance. I don't know that there was enough of that feeling to maintain the war until 1783, and for a lot of folks, yes, it was. But, you know, the reasons that people initially go to war aren't necessarily the reasons that sustained them through a long and traumatic conflict. Unfortunately, war goes on. It tends to develop a momentum of its own and cycles of revenge and retribution set in. And the reasons you went to war somehow become less important because you're dealing with actual survival as time goes on. And we have to keep in mind that the war for independence was not only a war of major armies and major battles, that was a mere minority of the actual conflict. Most of it took place at the local level between, uh, irregular pickup groups, militia groups, uh, tribal groups, even families defending homesteads. When that kind of conflict takes place, uh, grander notions of liberty and so forth, uh, kind of fade away, uh, and their place taken by, uh, an existential struggle for survival. Mhm. Uh, there was an interesting comment by Lord Carlisle. In 1778, the British sent the Carlisle Commission to negotiate with Congress, saying that everything you objected to will get rid of. No one called it such at the time. But what Carlisle offered, essentially, we would call Commonwealth status today recognize the sovereign. But for all practical purposes you are independent. Your own laws, your own armed forces. Mhm. Well, Carlisle came up with a blank wall and he finally realized that it's too late. There's been too much blood, too much treasure, too much pride. And he recognized, and he said that as long as Washington has an army in the field, these people aren't going to quit. Mhm. And at that point, there was no more talking. It was just going to fight it out.
S3: How close did the Americans actually come to losing this battle? Was there ever a point when it was inevitable that they that they would win? Or was there was there this chance of loss?
S4: You know, there's there's it's impossible really. Historians have tried. There's been all kinds of of efforts to say, did the British really, given the resources available to the military, fiscal, diplomatic and otherwise, do they really stand a chance? I mean, at top strength, maybe 35,000 active troops fit for duty. I mean, think about 35000 in the expanse of just the Eastern American states, 35,000 would barely fill a Big Ten football stadium on a given weekend today. They were just stretched too thin, but let's assume that they had a reasonable chance. I think that chance disappeared after the campaign of 1776, when they had several chances to destroy Washington's army at Long Island. At Second Trenton, and they didn't. They? There were other chances, too. I think they stood a chance in the South in, uh, when they came back in strength in 1779, late in the year. But then in 1780, uh, they made appreciable gains in the South. And I think if Cornwallis had followed orders and really focused on bringing South Carolina back into line, maybe, maybe they could have rallied enough loyalist support to, to make a dent in the in the colonial cause and at least perhaps taken the South back. But For various reasons. These things did not pan out for the British. Let's borrow from tennis. Call them unforced errors and they could have done a classic error as Howe swept across new Jersey in the 1776 was before the Battle of Trenton. He offered pardon, and all you had to do was accept the pardon, read, you know, read, declare your allegiance to George the Third. Go home and stay peaceable. It's about 3000 people took him up on that. And then within days or weeks, as the British Army moved across new Jersey, disciplined, somehow collapsed. And there's explanations for that. And, uh, we try to explain it in the new book you mentioned, but they pillaged and plundered their way across the state. Rape was all too common. The town of Princeton was actually sacked. And all the goodwill that Hal had accrued, offering pardon and simply evaporated. And within weeks the new Jersey countryside, which had scattered the state government had scattered. The militia had melted away. I mean, rose in arms. You had a popular rising. And that was very, very, uh, costly. I mean, new Jersey was all but back in the British orbit, and they blew it. And then what happened to those 3000 who had taken the pardon? They were publicly identified in accepting the pardon, and they were ripe for, how should we phrase it, political reeducation. And they were re-educated with a vengeance. Patriot authorities came down hard on loyalists.
S3: Mark Lender with us here on the radio free Hillsdale, our mark. Were there any counter revolutionaries in the comedies? How important was it for the Patriots to suppress any of those loyalist efforts?
S4: Show me a revolution that survives and allows an opposition to become effective. I mean, you, the Vendée and the French Revolution, the revolutionaries put it down the the white armies that opposed the Bolsheviks. They were put down and they had to if the revolution was going to succeed. And our revolution was was really no different. Patriots understood that their enthusiasm. Many of their neighbors, family members didn't share it. I mean, there was a lot of loyalty to the Empire. And you establish your ascendancy by making sure that your opponents simply can't organize effectively and mount a counterrevolution. And the patriots struck hard and fast to make sure that that didn't happen. And that was a war long effort.
S3: Mhm.
S4: And the British were never able to cover loyalists to the extent that they could declare publicly against the revolution in any, any safety, any way, and certainly not in strength enough to mount an effective counter-revolution. It was brutal. It was absolute brutal. And terror is not too strong a word to describe what happened in many instances.
S3: Talking with Mark Edward Lender, the new book War Without Mercy, Liberty or Death in the American Revolution. A point made that local forces were left to fight according to their own rules, which quite often meant no rules whatsoever.
S4: Right. Uh, this was pretty grim. And one thing that my co-author was James Kirby Martin. That's our fourth book together. As a matter of fact, what we did was we we looked at some of the numbers that other historians had generated, particularly, uh, Howard Peckham, who actually tried to quantify in 1974 in the run up to the bicentennial of the Revolution. He tried to quantify, using graduate assistants and other research assistants, to scour the archives in the various states to quantify the number of military actions that took place. And he came up with a number of, uh, over 1500 land and naval actions. And of those 1300 and change were land actions. Jim and I took a look, and about a hundred of those were 100 more, 100 less. But it was kind of an arbitrary decision, was a major battle. But our chief criteria was for actions that concerned the main American and British armies going head to head with one another, and that come with about 100 of them. So you've got like 90% of the war that was fought at the local level, not combat between the main American and British armies. So who was doing the fighting? As I mentioned earlier, it was often ragtag pickup groups, organized militia loyalists against patriots on the frontiers, tribal groups fighting white settlers. Uh, we've got instances of families defending themselves on isolated farmsteads. The, uh, the fighting was, uh, all out. Mhm. People understood that you were fighting in a contest where you simply couldn't expect much quarter much mercy from your opponents. So why should you display it toward them? It got very messy indeed. And if anything, we know that Peckham's numbers were quite conservative. I mean, we looked at, uh, new Jersey, my native state, the number Peckham came up with was 250 and change actions, uh, in new Jersey. Well, new Jersey was located between the chief British garrison in New York City and the de facto rebel capital in Philadelphia. So you're right there. You know, you're going to be in trouble. Mhm. But, um, as a member of the new Jersey archives staff, while Peckham's research assistant was compiling numbers for him, was also working on his own compilation of what was going on in new Jersey and had much greater access to archival and other local sources. He came up with about 600 actions. I mean, more than double the number that Peckham found. And when we went through those, we found that about 20 qualified as major American British armies going head to head. So it's again, about that 90% comes up. And we know that in new Jersey it was absolutely brutal. You had part of the northeastern part of the state across from New York City, became known as the neutral ground because nobody could control it. I mean, there was raid after raid counter raid after counter raid. Down south in the southern part of the state, Monmouth County, and below the local inhabitants, local patriots became enraged because the state simply could not stop loyalist incursions from from the coast. And they formed a group whose name says it all. The Association for retaliation. They fought a private war. The Patriot authorities frowned on it because they wanted a war conducted within legal boundaries, because that establishment was not a question of mercy. It was a question of legitimacy they were trying to establish. And while they frowned on it, did they try to stop it? No, no. They're having their cake and eating it too. Like, tut tut, don't do that. But nice job. On the other hand. So, uh, it's this local aspect of the war that I think accounts for a great deal of the violence associated with the war.
S3: With all these small scale skirmishes, private wars happening up and down. How did people find out about the status of the war? How did they find out how anything was going in the fight?
S4: You know, we have the benefit of 250 years of hindsight to look back and document all this stuff at the time. People frequently had no idea. I mean, uh, there were efforts at communication. They were irregular. Sometimes they were dangerous. I mean, you couldn't get couriers through certain areas and expect them to survive. We know that sometimes we're really important messages that American commanders were trying to get the word out. British commanders trying to get the word out. You sent more than one courier and by different routes and at different times, because you knew there was a pretty good chance that the message was not going to get through. Worse, it was going to be intercepted. And that was that was a real problem. So frequently people fought not knowing what was going on elsewhere, particularly on the frontiers. And sometimes when you found out what was going on, it didn't make any difference to you. A classic example. October of 1781. Cornwallis surrender at Yorktown, out on the frontiers. Did they care? They did not care. That war continued. Mhm. The Indian wars, uh, had settler forces back footed for a long, long time. They didn't end that until the 1790s. There's some pretty stiff fighting. Went on well after Yorktown out west. So communication was a real a real problem, even in the more settled east. But when you get out into the frontier areas, it could take a long, long time for people to learn what was going on. And then once you heard about it, it could be even longer to actually verify it. So this was, I mean, communications that we take for granted today. You simply could not take for granted. Mhm. In the 18th century.
S3: Mark Edward Lender has written in a book about the Monmouth campaign called Fatal Sunday. For listeners who might not remember Monmouth from textbooks or their their school days. Tell us a little about what that was, when it was and why it needed the focus of an entire book.
S4: Well, this battle that was fought in the middle of the state, 1778, after, uh, the British had evacuated Philadelphia and after Washington had gone through the experience of the Valley Forge winter, it was the politics of the whole thing. What did this battle mean? Because, you know, the battle was technically we're talking about a tactical draw. Uh-uh. Henry Clinton, who replaced William Howe as British commander in chief. Uh, poor fellow. He was in Philadelphia. And, uh, you you get handed the top job with, along with orders saying, give up the only real prize the British had won in 1777. And and he finds out that he can't even make a complete evacuation because the Royal Navy simply didn't have the transports to to get the army down. So they you you packed up a lot of loyalists, uh, some military units, a lot of dependents and a lot of your equipment. But then everybody else has got to march across new Jersey, which is a pretty hostile place to the British by this time. What I found was that this was Washington's chance to redeem himself. He had done a brilliant job in reconstructing the army at Valley Forge, but he had had a very, very hard time early in the winter of 1778. It's been called the Conway Cabal. Poor Thomas Conway actually had relatively little to do with it. But let's face it, you had Congress doing its job. You had hired a general to win a war. And in 1777, it did not look like Washington was going to win that war. So the stakes for Washington at the Battle of Monmouth were certainly military, if you're going to collide with the main British Army. But they were political. If he had lost another campaign, I think Washington's political problems would have increased exponentially. And working with an archaeologist was great because the archaeology had not been completed when I'd originally written that manuscript and Gary Stone was posted at Monmouth Battlefield State Park as an archaeologist, and I held off because I wasn't going to write something up. And then the archaeology comes in. So wait a minute. And, uh, when, uh, it was pretty much done, uh, Gary had come up with some wonderful stuff. And the Arc is the team working at Monmouth had come up with some wonderful stuff and really did it didn't change the strategic look at it, but, uh, looking at the tactical level to figure out actually what happened, because Monmouth is generally considered one of the most complex and difficult to explain of revolutionary engagements. Uh, we straightened out a lot of stuff and we were able to write it up.
S3: Very neat. That book is Fatal Sunday, George Washington, The Monmouth Campaign and the Politics of Battle. The most recent book, War Without Mercy, Liberty or Death in the American Revolution. Mark Edward Lender, American History PhD, from Rutgers and professor emeritus of history at Kean University. Mark, thanks so much for joining us.
S4: Thank you very much, Scott. I thoroughly enjoyed myself.
S3: That will wrap up this edition of the Radio Free Hillsdale Hour. Our thanks to Jay Bhattacharya from the National Institutes of Health. We heard from his lecture Restoring Gold Standard Science. You can find the full lecture at Freedom library.hillsdale.edu. And Mark Edward Lender, co-author of the book Fatal Sunday. Remember, you can hear new episodes every week on this station. You also can find extended versions of some of our interviews, or listen any time to the podcast. Find it@podcast.hillsdale.edu or wherever you get your audio. Until next week, I'm Scott Bertram, and this has been the radio free Hillsdale Hour.