S1: Every week. Hillsdale College President Larry Arnn joins Hugh Hewitt to discuss great books, great men, and great ideas. This is Hillsdale Dialogues, part of the Hillsdale College Podcast Network. More episodes@podcast.hillsdale.edu or wherever you find your audio.
S2: Morning glory and evening Grace America. I'm Hugh Hewitt. That music means we are in the last broadcast hour of the week on the Salem News Channel, the Salem Radio Network, all of our radio affiliates. And this means the Hillsdale Dialogue is upon us. All things Hillsdale. Hillsdale College in Michigan can be found@hillsdale.edu, including all their online courses, including your opportunity to sign up for Imprimis for free. And of course, all of the Hillsdale dialogues with me and my guest, doctor Larry Arnn, and his colleagues. They're all collected at hue for Hillsdale. They're also on the Hillsdale Dialogue Bar when you find it on hillsdale.edu site. Doctor Ryan, we are back in Winston Churchill's memoir of World War Two, his second book, Their Finest Hour. Chapters six and seven, The Rush for Spoils and Back to France. I want to begin on a small point that struck me when I was reading these two chapters. He went back and forth to France in this not so great airplane, sometimes surrounded by Spitfires, sometimes alone, uh, four times. And the last time to deal with the defeated Patton, a young, eager fellow by the name of de Gaulle. But it's just his physical courage. It's kind of nuts. We don't do this anymore, do we?
S3: Yeah, well, I don't know. We we don't do it in. We do it in greater comfort than he knew. Uh, Churchill was an old man, you know, he was 68 when the war broke out? No. 65 and war broke out, uh, when he became prime minister. But he traveled. Uh, Andrew Roberts goes through the numbers in his walking with Destiny book, a very good biography of Churchill. And he traveled, you know, a multiple of the amount that Franklin Roosevelt and Stalin traveled combined. And he kept he built the alliance and he kept it together. And what he's doing in these two chapters in 1940 is France is falling, is he's trying to keep it together there. He's going to talk to them. And these two chapters are very dramatic because it's what collapse looks like. And, you know, it's there's one kind of moral trial that comes when you're losing to the place of disaster, because how do you keep your head up? And how do you keep arguing when fact after fact after fact arises against you, and the story of Churchill's actions in the months of May and June 1940 are just magnificent. But he doesn't tell it all because he's not. He doesn't what? He doesn't. He doesn't glorify himself.
S4: He is not a modest.
S2: Man, but he's also not a vain man. It's a moderate.
S3: Yeah. I like to say that he's pretty good at you know, he's he's very assertive human being. Right. But the way he goes about telling the story doesn't leave him open to a charge that certain politicians in America today are open to, that they talk about themselves all the time and, uh, and congratulate themselves over much. And he in these chapters, he congratulates himself under much. And I will tell you some of the sources we have for the things that happened in some of these rooms because it's very remarkable.
S4: Oh, well, let's.
S2: Do that now before I move to the for example, we have this meeting with Patton at which he speaks. He spots a young de Gaulle, and he says about de Gaulle that, uh, he had a lot of dash about him and a lot of resolution. He didn't know that he would end up working with de Gaulle. He talks about talking to Admiral Darlan and saying to him, you must never let the French. You must never let the Nazis get the French fleet. And Darlan promised that he wouldn't. But what are the sources we have about what he does in these days that that he does not tell us about.
S3: Well, the the most beautiful things he did are public speeches, which we can simply read. And we have evidence in one of the chapters of the effect of these speeches, because they persuaded Franklin Roosevelt that Britain was going to fight and America sent some help. That's that's from Fulton, Missouri. And, uh, I gave a talk from that very podium in that.
S4: Oh, did you really?
S3: A few months ago. Yeah. And there's Harry Truman on the left. Um, so those are public things, right? And those are very important. Uh, they, they persuaded his colleagues in the cabinet. They persuaded Franklin Roosevelt. They persuaded the British people. And then there are two main private things that are relevant to these chapters. One is his May the 28th, 1940 meeting with the cabinet, which we have notes from two different people about what he said there. And we've talked about that on the show. And the other is these meetings in France. And, uh, there are two. And, uh, the, uh, translator, Churchill spoke some French and most of the French spoke English. So a lot of it was in English, but there was a man named Edward Louis Spears. I mean, for on the show. And he was a very close friend of Churchill's, and he grew up in Paris and he was the officer as assigned to liaison between the British and French armies in 1914 and again in 1939 40. So he was there coordinating through this collapse, and he was already experienced at it, and he was later ambassador to France. He was a member of Parliament, and he was a brilliant man. And he wrote two great books. One of them, if you're interested in the First World War, liaison 1914 and the Second World War is about the same events, what, uh, 26 years later called assignment to catastrophe. Spears is in the room when these negotiations are going on with the French. And, uh, Peyton and I have come in their World War One heroes again. Was the general in charge of the Battle of Verdun in the First World War, one of the worst battles in human history. Churchill says in this chapter that Peyton was a defeatist in the First World War two. I didn't know that. But Churchill is encouraging them at this at the first meeting in Paris. They actually meet in Peyton's home, an apartment in Paris, and the nightgown of his mistress is on, draped across one of the chairs in the room. People noticed that. Anyway, Reynaud was a. He was the saltiest of the bunch outside de Gaulle. But Peyton and Vegan are beaten and they could see that. And then, uh, the Churchill relates a conversation where he says Churchill's trying to get them to keep resisting form a front, uh, fight unit by unit. And he says to come through Paris and attack you. The German army is going to have to disorganize itself and there'll be an opportunity. You can consume a German army corps in the streets of Paris. And Payton says, we've already given the order to evacuate Paris. And Churchill says nations which die fighting rise up again. But those that surrender tamely are gone forever. And that's very solemn.
S4: The town's name.
S2: Is gone forever because of what he did here. Yeah, it will always be.
S3: That's right. And then, and then and then. Uh, Reno replies to that. But you must give us the rest of your fighters if we're to fight on. And then Spears records. Because he knew Churchill very well. He said, I knew the Prime Minister was a generous man, and I did not think he would resist that appeal. And Churchill recounts the. this part of it in this chapter. He says, this is not the decisive battle. They must destroy us in our island or we can come and win. Win this back. And and Payton says. And so that's, you know, that's very tense moment. Right. And Churchill, by the way, uh, says in this chapter that by the time they were pressing him for the rest of his fighters, Payton and Wigan had already decided that they were going to surrender. So they were prepared to take the British down with them anyway. Then Pat Reno, who was sympathetic, says to Churchill, how do you hope to fight them alone? And Churchill says, I haven't thought about that very hard yet, but I imagine that the strategy will be to drown most of them on the way over and choke the rest of them to death on the beach.
S2: But he's also he. He dangles FDR to them. Uh, because Churchill always nurses this belief that eventually the new world will come to the assistance of the old. He will say that in a speech eventually. But in this meeting, he also dangles FDR. And FDR is is keeping track. He's not he's not not encouraging. He's not giving up on the English in the way that Patton and the other generals have. He has not given up on them. And we will come back to that immediately. Don't go anywhere. Uh, back with Doctor Larry Arnn after the break as we continue diving into their finest hour. Stay tuned to the Hugh Hewitt Show, all things hillsdale@hillsdale.edu. Welcome back America. I'm Hugh Hewitt. The Hillsdale dialogue underway with Doctor Larry Arnn, president of Hillsdale College, all things hillsdale@hillsdale.edu. remember as well all prior Hillsdale dialogues, including all of those episodes on this book? Their Finest Hour volume two in the Churchill Memoirs are found over@hughforhillsdale.com. Changing subjects just a little bit, doctor, let me ask you about the, uh, pug Ismay, because I learned this week I had to go back and forth to California. I'm listening to a book I read years ago called Freedom at Midnight about Mountbatten and the division of India and Pakistan. And it turns out Pug Ismay was his chief of staff for that, that Ismay keep notes. Does he have a memoir?
S3: Yeah, yeah. Uh, he published a book, and he was the first, uh, commanding general of NATO, uh, Supreme. What a shape. Supreme headquarters, Allied Allied.
S2: Forces, Europe.
S3: Uh, yeah. And, uh, he was, uh, yeah, he was very close to Churchill. He was a very good source in interviews with Martin Gilbert, and there's a lot of his thoughts in the in the official biography, which is the best biography. And yeah. And he and see, it was a very tight crowd, right? Like one of the reasons I mentioned it before, but Victor Hansen and his very good book, the Second World War, explains how effective the British were. You know, what they got out of themselves through this war because not just here, where they stood up alone and managed to stay, stave them off by the skin of their teeth. But then later they were strategists, right? And they helped to make the strategy that won the Second World War. And they invented much of it, and they contributed very much beyond their resources or their relative size to us. There were more British and imperial soldiers going ashore on D-Day in June 1944 than there were American. And, uh, we overtook them by the end of that 1940, by the end of the summer of 1944. But up until then, remember the the war ends in May of 1945. So most of the war, most of the soldiers on the Western Front were British and British Empire and Commonwealth.
S2: And Churchill makes that point. But he does make the point. America is carrying the burden in the Pacific, and he very, very liberal in his praise about that. But he wants to make sure the marker is down, that the Brits held the West and Stalin did his job. Of course.
S3: We should say something about this, because there's a lot of criticism, you know, because we live in the age of America first, and I'm very glad about it. And Roosevelt was a liberal imperialist. That is to say, he followed an argument that I don't believe can be made to work, and that is that the whole world has to be free or nobody's safe. And so our mission is to make the whole world free. And Churchill never subscribed to that. But Franklin Roosevelt did. On the other hand, you have to see that there's another reason why we might be involved in this frame. Franklin Roosevelt had been, uh, assistant secretary of the Navy, and he and Churchill corresponded the whole world, whole war under the title. But they both had the same title, former naval person. And because Churchill was first Lord of the Admiralty twice. Uh, and Roosevelt knew Alfred Thayer Mahan, and he was a late 19th, early 20th century scholar at the Naval Institute. Uh, and he wrote The Influence of Sea Power upon History. And it's a fundamentally important book. And it was the rage. And the British and American navies and in strategically still is today, strategic thinking. Right. And his thought was that sea power matters very much in the modern world, because the cheapest way to make mean to move goods and services about the world is by seeing cheapest and fastest. And because airplanes don't care that much. So he absorbed. Roosevelt has absorbed all that. And he's very concerned about what happens to the French Navy because they had a big navy. And then if Britain is defeated, what about the British Navy? And and, uh, you know, uh, so, so the point is there what people have to think through today, what we Americans have to think through today in the context of these wars that we're fighting all over the place, is how do you secure yourself when the world is much smaller, at the least possible cost of life and treasure, and the greatest possible expansion of ordinary peacetime pursuits? That's always the challenge in war. But especially for a free commercial republic, it is the challenge And the thing to absorb is that's more difficult now because we are subject to immediate attack all over the world and at home.
S2: And the growing strength of other naval powers is also a problem to us. And of the weaponry, as the Ukrainians have demonstrated in the Black Sea, the weapons necessary to destroy a fleet have changed as they change between World War One and World War Two, they've changed again. The airplane came along. Now we have drones, now drones can sink. And the Ukrainians sunk the Moscow, the lead ship of the Russian fleet in the Black Sea, using drones. That's the kind of thing that people look back in 50 years and say, people ought to have woken up at that point to the the fundamental changes at sea going underwater.
S3: People don't understand one thing like why, for example, of the great powers, we need the Straits of Hormuz the least because we have. We're an oil net oil exporting country. That's true. We're also the largest user of the oil in the world. And there's very much oil that we don't have that we have to use heavy crude, and we don't have the refinery capacity to use a lot of the oil that we have. So we're what we really are is a net exporter, but also the heaviest trader of oil in the world. And so oil matters to us very much, even though we got a lot of it. I mean we should build a lot more refineries, by the way, to be more secure just using our own. It's probably not possible for us to be completely independent of foreign oil.
S2: Yeah. One of the reasons that digression, one of the reasons Steve Hilton appears to have got through to the finals is that, uh, a major refinery, another one left in California. And I was out there a few weeks ago. Gas was $6.50, more than $2 a gallon more expensive than it is on the East Coast in the middle of the war because of their ridiculous regulations. And they've driven the refining capacity away and they won't explore for their own oil. It's crazy. It's self-defeating. But that's the reality. Welcome back America. I'm Hugh Hewitt. The Hillsdale Dialogue last broadcast hour of the week is underway with Doctor Larry Arnn, president of Hillsdale College, all things hillsdale@hughforhillsdale.com. The dialogue is at least all the online courses in Primus. The opportunity to find out about the college@hillsdale.edu. We're going to switch topics now to a different part of the war. Doctor, let me ask you now about Italy. Churchill has an unusual relationship with Mussolini, not unlike Donald Trump. He believes in personal diplomacy. So he writes Duce, a letter in which he says, is it too late to stop a river of blood from flowing between the British and the Italian peoples? In fact, it was too late. now. Mussolini had decided to throw in with the jackals.
S3: Yeah. And see that that corresponds. There are three things like this in the Second World War that are parallel. In this chapter, he talks about a letter he wrote to Stalin who's allied with Hitler at the time, and then later he will write, he will get a letter delivered to the Japanese ambassador who's in Moscow dealing with the Russians. That comes up in the next few chapters. And in all three of them, he writes a personal appeal with reasons why they should not join the axis, which, you remember, the Soviet Union was part of the axis at this moment. Well, in the case of Italy, he talks about the old alliance and friendship in the First World War and before between Italy and Britain, they'd always been friends or they'd mostly been friends. What is Mussolini reply with? Except the very thing that Churchill anticipated, and that was. We went to Abyssinia, not threatening any British interest, and you organized the world against us. And Churchill was reluctant about that back in 36 when that happened, because he thought, you know, we may need these Italians, right. And how does it affect us exactly? And, uh, and then, you know, we put we got the League of Nations to put sanctions on Italy, but they were heavily lobbied against. And so, uh, exempted from sanctions was oil. And Churchill writes of that back then when that was happening, uh, willing to strike but afraid to wound is what we are. So, so the point is that this, you know, this, these disasters that are unfolding have been prepared by what we read in the the gathering storm, the years that the locust has eaten right. The failure to re-arm the antagonizing of Germany. But, uh, you know. But that's earlier, right? That's. Well, uh, what.
S2: Did you and.
S3: Generous people.
S2: I want to remind everyone you worked with Sir Martin Gilbert for years. What did you and he. Or what did he tell you about Mussolini? Because he's a very shadowy figure in the American imagination. We know him as a strutting, thumping fascist. But for a time there in the 20s and the 30s, he and Churchill got along, as did some of the civilized world. What did Sir Martin think of him?
S3: Well, uh, what do you think of him? Well, he didn't think anything about him. It's not in the documents. Um, there's an interesting tidbit. Uh, Clementine Churchill met Mussolini and wrote to her husband about what he was like, and she was very taken with his galvanizing, powerful eyes. Uh, thought he was a force. It's not a letter of approval of his politics. The. The impression that British people had, first of all, Italy was, you know, kind of a joke, right? You know, it's Italy has been a mess for a very long time, had been a mess for a long time. And the going concerns in Europe, the powers in Europe were Britain and France and Germany and, and, uh, so Italy was a junior partner, right? And so then some people thought that kind of good. What Mussolini's saying he wants to recover the strength of Italy, the Rome, the Romans of Italy. Right. And fascism that comes from, uh, some bound together sticks that the Romans would carry called fasces, uh, in their ceremonies. Right. To be a fascist in Italy was to be for the resurrection of the glory of Rome and the power of Rome. And so you wouldn't be entirely unsympathetic with that, especially when Italy, you know, like, what did they say? Well, the famous thing they said about Mussolini was he made the trains run on time, you know, because if you live in a country and things don't work like in LA.
S2: Then I know what you're going to say. You're going to accept a minimum. And for a while Mussolini did bring order. But then he brought fascism and its awfulness. We'll come back and talk more about that. I want to remind you all things hillsdale@hillsdale.edu, including their online courses on World War Two and on Churchill and on the Revolution as We approach 1776. Also want to remind you that all the prior conversations with Doctor Ahern about this book, Winston Churchill's Volume two, and his World War memoirs, The Finest Hour, their Finest hour, available at hue for hillsdale.com. Stay tuned. Welcome back America. Hugh Hewitt with doctor. Larry Arnn. Hillsdale dialogue underway. The last broadcast hour of the week. All things hillsdale@hillsdale.edu. Doctor Ryan, you said you had a bit of a frolic and a detour.
S3: Uh, I once had a galvanising discussion. I went down to, uh, Guatemala to an academic conference, and the conference was staffed by some students at Francisco Marroquin University, a little Catholic school there. That's kind of nice. And, uh, so I was taken with the students as my kind of people, you know, so I took about half a dozen of them out to dinner one night, and we talked and I wanted to find out about them. What do they think? What's the world like? Right. And this one particular young woman who was the daughter of a of one of the organizers of the conference, a very good guy. She'd been to America. And I said, what do you make of it? And she said, everything works and everything is clean. Huh? That Spencer Pratt and the governor candidate both right there saying, look, we're falling apart here. Yeah. And you don't want to live in a society like that. Well, Mussolini was cleaning some of that up and people liked it. And, you know, and remember Hitler, who's, you know, let's just say Hitler was a very bad man. Right. On the other hand, what had Germany been through? I mean, it's their fault that they got hammered in the First World War. They hammered everybody else first. But then after that, there's this terrible inflation and disorganization and violence in the streets. And. And Hitler gets them going again. Right. And he was very popular for a while. Um, and Mussolini is sort of similar, you know, let's straighten this place out and get it going, get some vigor back. Right. And, uh, Mussolini proved to be ultimately a weak man. We have that great letter in these chapters from his son in law, Count Ciano, whom he executed it cause to be executed, and who turned on Mussolini. That's why he had him executed at the hands of Germany. He was in Berlin. And he writes what's true. And that is Mussolini was eventually completely mastered by Hitler when his when Hitler took Austria in 36. That affected Italian interests, because Austria is over the hills from Italy. And Hitler was nervous about what Mussolini would think, and Mussolini let him do it. And when he did that, Hitler called him Duce. Uh. He said, Duce, I pledge eternal loyalty to you. But then within a year, uh, Mussolini goes to see Hitler and wonders if he's going to be executed before he leaves the house.
S2: And Ciano.
S3: Wrote.
S2: In that letter, he said he wanted to tell people he was the only foreigner who was at close quarters with Hitler, that the world should not be ignorant of the fact that the misfortune of Italy was not the fault of her people, but due to the shameful behavior of one man. Which brings me to the last point of this hour FDR after Italy stabs France in the back, FDR goes on radio in America, gives a great speech denouncing Mussolini as the hand that held the dagger that is stuck into the back of its neighbor. Churchill thought this was a great speech, especially because it was five months before an election in which FDR needed the Italian vote. And he said FDR was, quote, never afraid to run risk for the sake of his resolves. And one of those resolves was Great Britain should endure. Do you do you think that, uh, Trump has resolves the way that FDR had resolved lines that he will not allow to be crossed?
S3: Oh, yeah. Well, you know, first of all, he's very tough, right? Look. What the look what's happened to him, right? They're going to put him in jail and take his money. And he got running for office one. He's very tough. Uh, he's, uh, I, I, I think, uh, you know, Trump, you know, I don't, you know, I don't know Donald Trump. Well, I know him a bit. I do know that, uh, Trump is not slow to return a blow because he's, he's, you know, what's this thing that's going on right now about the weapon, about the Justice Department defense fund for people who have weaponized government against them. He, you know, he wants to protect his people. And also he wants to hit back. And, uh, that's natural. And, you know, history will judge whether he goes too far with that or not. But he's he is certainly like that. He's.
S2: Now, the last thing I want to say is that when Churchill made a request, uh, of the United States, um, George Marshall, who was beginning to enter into this book, took 48 hours to inventory everything that America could give Great Britain. And certainly us got it done. And FDR said, do it. It's sort of like when, when Nixon said, send every plane that can fly to Israel in 1973 and the Yom Kippur War. I didn't know about this until this book. 48 hours to inventory everything that we did not need for a bare bones defense of America. Do you think we could do that today?
S3: Uh, well, we're short of weapons, right? Um, so yeah, but we, you know, we're in an emergency. Free peoples can do a lot. And, uh, and it's, you know, just remember that, like, and if you, if you read the story of the Russian Revolution. And Solzhenitsyn, you know, is publishing these five volumes called the Red wheel that are awesome to read. They're really good. And, uh, if you read that, uh, you find out that the place Russia's falling apart in the last days, right? And the orders are not carried out and stuff like that. Well, we reacted fast and we were united and we fought very well in that war. And we did a lot through a lot of setbacks. So yeah, uh, he and, you know, we could move.
S2: We can move. And we chose to move. And we will talk more about how Great Britain actually did mobilize quite well. They did actually move very fast. And in fact, Churchill wrote that that train at an ever accelerating pace until victory was assured will come back. And we'll talk about all of that and more. A reminder everything hillsdale@hillsdale.edu, including those of you who are maybe sophomore juniors, going to be rising seniors. You want to make your application to Hillsdale and you want to do it right now. That application is available@hillsdale.edu. Not your ordinary application. You want to study it, you want to send it in. It's a great place to learn, a great place to prepare. My goodness, the network effects of that college now are amazing. Or if you just want to listen to all of the Churchill dialogue about World War Two, head to hughforhillsdale.com. They're all collected there over at hue for hillsdale.com. Stay tuned. Welcome back America. I'm Hugh Hewitt. I want to take a moment before we close out this week's broadcast. I asked Doctor Larry Arnn about where we are in defense spending, where we are in preparing not for the war that's currently paused, but for the next war and the war after that, as of course, Britain didn't prepare in the 30s and they barely survived the 40s. What say you? Doctor Arnn.
S3: You know, this this big bill that they're talking about, uh, you know, a billion, trillion and a half Defense.
S2: Yeah. Trillion five.
S3: Yeah. That's that's a big restocking. And, uh, we need that.
S2: We need to build the right things. It's the, the big challenge about that. And, you know, some of these tech people better than I do, there's a generational jump in weaponry. And we talked about it earlier, uh, as to World War One and battleships, World War Two and aircraft carriers, and now in the Persian and Arabian Gulf and in the Black Sea, we're learning it's just a brand new world at sea. We better be building the right stuff. Do you think we are?
S3: Well, I heard the sage Palmer Luckey talk about that.
S2: Oh.
S3: And, uh, uh, he says it takes ten years to revolutionize the American military industrial base. And for the next most of the next five, we're going to be building more of what we got. And we can add a lot too, but like, uh, we need to replenish the stocks of the stuff that we have invented and know how to use and have. Uh, so, so it'll be a transition, right? You know, I even think that, uh, the Chinese Navy is getting so big in the things going to the advantage is going to grow. There's a, there's a moment of danger, a two or 3 or 4 year period of danger coming up right now. So we should replenish the stocks of what we got. We should buy as much as we can of the more innovative things that should be cheaper. Palmer Luckey said that he would be disappointed if, in ten years the defense budget was not half or less what it is in a normal year now, and that we're not more lethal after it too.
S2: Well, you know, it may be what? Maybe it was. Churchill said, God loves the United States and drunks. It may be that the Chinese spent 25 years building ships that are not useful to the next war, because of what we're seeing with the revolution underneath the water and above the water, we shall see. Doctor Larry Arnn, all things Hillsdale can be found@hillsdale.edu. All of the prior Hillsdale dialogues are found@hughforhillsdale.com. Thank you for listening. We'll be back next week. Same time, the last broadcast hour of the week. Until then.
S1: Thanks for listening to the Hillsdale Dialogues, part of the Hillsdale College Podcast Network. More episodes@podcast.hillsdale.edu or wherever you find your audio. For more information about Hillsdale College, head to hillsdale.edu.