S1: From the historic campus of Hillsdale College in Hillsdale, Michigan, where the good, the true and the beautiful are taught, nurtured and honored. This is the radio free Hillsdale Hour, bringing the activity and education of the college to listeners across the country.
S2: These works of art are wonders. They're beautiful, and boy, are they so instructive. And we need them if we're going to understand ourselves and life much better, much more profoundly.
S3: This is your host, Scott Bertram. Welcome to the Radio Free Hillsdale Hour. Part of the Hillsdale College Podcast Network. That was Doctor Stephen Smith from Hillsdale English Department. He's also your teacher for the new Hillsdale College online course, The Iliad. We go in depth about that on today's program. Also later on, Doctor Samuel Lehrer, recent graduate from the Van Andel Graduate School of Statesmanship here at Hillsdale College, and his dissertation on James Monroe will discuss in a bit. First, we're joined by Doctor Stephen Smith. He is dean of Humanities, Temple Family chair in English Literature and professor of English here at Hillsdale College. Doctor Smith, thanks for joining us.
S2: It's great to be here, Scott. Thank you for having me.
S3: You're also the teacher for the new Hillsdale College online course, The Iliad, which is available now at hillsdale.edu/course, NEWCOURSE. We have the Odyssey now. We have the Iliad available, both of them at that URL. So why does the Iliad still remain such an important place to begin or even continue in education? In the Western literary tradition, we asked a very similar question to Doctor Whalen about the Odyssey. What about the Iliad?
S2: I am a dyed in the wool Iliad lover? I know a lot of people are crazy about the Odyssey. I have always just loved the first. And anyone out there who is enjoying the worldwide fervor over the Odyssey needs to make their way directly back to the. We need to go back to the Iliad, baby. This. Where. Well, not where it all starts, but where Homer starts. You know, um, the Iliad stands at the head of the epic tradition, and one of the best ways to experience the full power and beauty of poetry and what it can teach us about nature, about character, about reality, is through the epic tradition. So why not begin with rage? Goddess sing the rage of Achilles, the Iliad. Go to the Odyssey. And then then? Then you're off and running. Virgil's Aeneid, Dante's Divine Comedy, Paradise Lost. If you're truly ambitious, War and Peace is lurking in the 19th century, one of the most magnificent books in the world, and a profound engagement with Homer. Unless I miss my guess.
S3: Now, before we get to a little more about the course itself and what's discussed, what story does the Iliad actually tell? People might know about Trojan War? Achilles? Helen. What are they going to discover when they actually open the book and read Homer.
S2: They will most likely be surprised by the focus of Homer, which is one of his great gifts. Aristotle saw this unmistakably in the poetics. This guy knows how to focus a story. I've taught the poem for many, many years, and students always wonder, why does it start so deep into the war? And why does it end before the war does? Like, you know, it's almost like you want the Encyclopaedia Britannica version of the Trojan War. How did this all get started? When did they arrive? How many years have they been there? What Homer does is he focuses our attention on the rage of Achilles and the will of Zeus over a around a 50 day period in the ten year war. And so it's wonderfully focused. It's intensely dramatic. It's as great as any Shakespearean tragedy you'll ever read. An unforgettable poem, and it derives much of its power and its intensity from that focus, from that choice of Homer, to focus our attention like this on the rage of Achilles and the will of Zeus.
S3: That is your first lecture, The Rage of Achilles and the online course, The Iliad, hillsdale.edu/course. That rage of Achilles provides the structure for a lot of this. What should students understand about Achilles at the outset of the Iliad?
S2: Well, Achilles is one of the major characters of the poem, and the poem is about, yes, his rage. It's important to understand this isn't, you know, a poem about some guy's temper tantrum or something like that. Or, you know, he lost his cool in traffic. It's about a rage that's described as murderous and doomed that cost the Achaeans the Greeks loss upon bitter loss. It hurled down to the house of death so many great souls, brave fighter souls, and left their bodies. You know the Feast of Birds, as the opening puts it. So this is a pretty intense form of rage that overtakes this gifted warrior who is the son of a mortal man and an immortal goddess. So Achilles is a remarkable figure, one of the most unforgettable figures in literature. Don't believe anything you've heard against him. You've got to get to know this guy is powerful, unforgettable story about his heart, his mind, his desires, his choices, his rage. And a poem ends suitably enough, when the rage ends. The poem actually makes tremendous and deep sense as a story, and it focuses on the. And one of the first things you wonder about when you open a. How could the rage of Achilles be the focus of an entire story? What is it about this rage? What makes it so worthy of the attention of Homer? What's going on with this guy in his soul?
S3: The other early lectures help introduce students to Helen Paris. Hector, the defender of Troy. What do those characters add to our understanding of the war, in particular, its side effects on marriage, on family, on the home?
S2: Well, the Greeks are on this lonely beach before the ski and gates of Troy, and we get to know all the Greeks in the poem and of course, the Trojans as well. I mean, I can't help but smile when you say those names. I mean, I feel like I've known these people for my entire working life. Helen Paris and Hector and Andromache and Priam, the Trojan side. Homer gives full humanity to them and brings out, you know, the kind of civilization level clash that's at the heart of the poem. But I think, you know, with Paris and Helen. Oh my goodness. You know, this is the affair at the heart of the war. And those are two of the most unforgettable characters in the poem, in a way. They pursue a kind of glory that is different than the glory that Achilles and and the others are fighting for. It's associated with beauty, with erotic love. And it's one of the more powerful forces in the poem and disruptive forces. And then Hector is the great kind of mighty opposite of Achilles, the defender of Troy. His heart races to help his city, to save his family. And some of the greatest scenes in the poem involve Hector, including the meeting with his wife, his meetings with his brother Paris, and, of course, the final duel in the poem. Spoiler alert it's all. It's big on Big Baby. It's all headed toward Achilles versus Hector for all the marbles.
S3: You've had a few thousand years to catch up, so we don't need to give the spoiler alert. I think we're I think we're gonna be okay. Doctor Steven Smith with us. He is your teacher for the new Hillsdale Online course. Hopefully you've taken the Odyssey. Now time for the Iliad. You can find it at hillsdale.edu/course. One of the major questions running through this course is how much responsibility belongs to the gods and how much belongs to the characters themselves. How does Homer get us thinking about fate and free choice and personal responsibility?
S2: Well, right from that famous opening, the two subjects of the poem, if you ask me, are the rage of Achilles and the will of Zeus moving toward its end. So the poem is, in a way, a study of the will of Achilles and the will of Zeus. And so we're going to get the human side and the divine side, both at work profoundly and powerfully in the poem. Your question is a great one about personal responsibility. I'll make a bridge to the Odyssey if you. If you go to the first pages of the Odyssey, you will hear Zeus complain. Shameless. The way these mortals blame the gods for everything you know, especially when through their own reckless ways, you know, they compound the misery beyond the proper share. So Homer is all over the human tendency to locate responsibility anywhere but in the human will. I suppose we're willing to locate responsibility there when we've done something glorious. Sure. But when we've done something foolish, that's where the gods come in. He can. He can blame them for years in class with the students. You know, I've joked that if Zeus ever, you know, had a t shirt line, it would probably read don't blame me. Um, but. So he's working for his end. Achilles is working for his ends. And Homer shows us the human being really struggling with this issue of personal responsibility. Scott with just saying, like I did that I was a fool and kind of going from there. Usually there's a lot more zig zagging going on. And Agamemnon, who has really surged to worldwide fame because of the Odyssey film and his depiction in it, he really struggles with this one. You know, he he he made a mess of things in book one. He needs to try to set things right, but he does tend to default to blaming his madness on the gods.
S3: Hector and Achilles are both great warriors in the Iliad, but they're very different men. As we move through the course, what might we want to notice about these two competing pictures of heroism?
S2: Well, Achilles is the brilliant swift runner, the greatest Greek warrior his arms have bore the brunt of the fighting. He's won great glory through it. When his honor and his sense of justice is violated. At the beginning of the poem, the whole thing is launched. So he is intense, lover of of class and honor. He also has friendship and a regard for the Greeks as well. So he's a he's actually a fully rounded character. Hector is associated with the defense of Troy. Again, that famous line, his heart races to help the fellow Trojans. So he tends to be associated with the defense of the city, with family, with his marriage and his and his infant son. Now, all that said, what unites the two men is just as interesting because both men have been trained and educated and formed, you know, to intensely desire glory. And that's part of what will bring them into that final conflict near the end of the poem. So it was a very rich presentation of the two great warriors. One Greek, one Trojan.
S3: Doctor Stephen Smith with us, your teacher for the new Hillsdale course on the Iliad. hillsdale.edu/course. You speak of glory and Achilles is given a famous choice between a short life and everlasting glory and a long life without it. How does that choice help organize some of the big questions that will encounter throughout the course?
S2: That question is that that decision, I should say, is at the heart of the Achilles story. You know, we're in year ten in the Iliad of the war, and he will bring up the choice that he made and is making to remain at war, pursuing glory, knowing that it will bring about his death. And the alternative, which was that long life, but with obscurity. It's funny, in the poem, Scott, he he's been there for ten years. He's made his choice and he keeps he keeps coming back to it almost like he could. He could leave at any moment. Like, I can take my ships. I can get out of here. I can go back home. You know, I don't have to be here. But he stays on that beach, and he will die there. So that choice he makes, um, is finally. It is his final decision. But Homer's greatness is to show us how he grows. Mhm. Um, across the Iliad. And as he approaches his own death.
S3: Yeah. So Achilles grows. He's consumed by rage at the beginning. And at the end, he's learned something about, uh, self-control and virtue and mercy, too. How should we understand this transformation that takes place between book one and book 24?
S2: Well, it takes, you know, it takes, you know, 22 books or so, even even 24 books to come to the end of the rage. Achilles is tough, relentless. He becomes something like death itself. Close to the end of the poem. He fights a river God. He wants to strike at Apollo. He's mourning his friend. I mean, the rage reaches a really extreme point, but Homer does not leave us there. One of the big surprises in the poem is book 24, easily one of the most beautiful books of poetry in the entire world. And that finale in which Achilles and the King of Troy come together over Hector's body. Spoiler alert is what brings about this surprising ending and what looks like a moment of growth. I mean, Priam wonders over Achilles as he decides to give the body of Hector back. And I think that what Priam is wondering over is what is truly godlike quality, his virtue at that moment, and the virtue is distinct from the virtue he's displayed. You know, being a one man death machine on the plain of Troy, it's as you suggest, self government, self control. He can hold himself back. He seems for a moment, like. Like a free man capable of some other action than just raging and raging and raging and raging.
S3: Is there one lecture or one part of a lecture, even in this course that you enjoy teaching? Because students come away seeing the Iliad differently afterward, and you have experience having taught this countless times to our Hillsdale students.
S2: I was thinking about that, Scott. And I'm like, oh yes, book one, book six, book nine, book 16 book. I'm one of those people. I love this poem. So I have many, many favorite moments. And certainly book 24 is incredible. The Funeral Games of Achilles and Patroclus are remarkable. The embassy to Achilles in book nine is must see TV. It's a remarkable part of the poem. But you know, I love the moment when his mother comes to him after everything he's wanted has come to pass. You know, Achilles prays in book one that he be exalted and the Greeks be mowed down because he's been so dishonored. And when, when, when things have gone. Just as he prayed the will of Zeus. Right. But not exactly as he had expected. This is totally a meditation on be careful what you pray for. Sure. When you get to this moment, his mother comes. Achilles is in agony. His friend is dead. All these things have happened and his mother comes to him and says, son, why are you in tears? Why are you crying? Olympian Zeus has fulfilled your prayer just as you raised your hands in book one. You've gotten everything you wanted. 000, it's so painful. You know, it's wonderful. But, I mean, he's going to grow from that zero point. Yeah. To to the ending in book 24, but not without some mega rage in between. I'm just telling you.
S3: I already know the answer to the question, I think. But I'm still going to ask, are you still learning and enjoying different parts of the Iliad each time you read and teach this to students?
S2: Yes, that's a great question. With Shakespeare, with Dante, with Homer, with Genesis, with Paradise Lost, whatever these books are so far beyond us that they continually surprise and instruct. You can teach Homer's Iliad for 20 years and come back to it, and it is as fresh as the dawn, and you see things you did not see before. I laugh sometimes using the books you know, in class I'll be rereading, prepping for class. And I'll see in my in my book, a whole unmarked page. And now, you know, on, you know, round 20 or whatever it is. I'm like, that's the most important thing of all. I didn't even have it marked. It's that kind of work. These these works of art are wonders. They're beautiful. And boy, are they so instructive and illuminating of nature, of character, of reality. They're truly, you know, at our service. And we need them if we're going to understand ourselves and life much better, much more profoundly.
S3: Doctor Stephen Smith is dean of Humanities, Temple Family chair in English Literature and professor of English here at Hillsdale College. He's also your teacher for the new Hillsdale College online course, The iliad@hillsdale.edu slash hillsdale.edu slash, NEWCOURSE. Doctor Smith, thanks so much for joining us here on the Radio Free Hillsdale Hour.
S2: It's been my pleasure, Scott.
S3: Thank you. Up next, Samuel Lair joins us, newly minted doctor, graduate of the Van Andel School of Statesmanship here at Hillsdale College. We'll talk about the political thought and statesmanship of one James Monroe. I'm Scott Bertram. This is the radio free Hillsdale Hour. Welcome back to the Radio free Hillsdale Hour. I'm Scott Bertram. Be sure to find this show. Older episodes of this program, plus tons of great Hillsdale College audio at podcast dot dot edu or wherever you get your audio. Look for the Larry Arnn Show, Imprimis, Hillsdale Dialogues, and more. We're joined by Doctor Samuel Lehrer. He's a former director of the center for American Education at the Idaho Freedom Foundation. A recent graduate of the Van Andel School of Statesmanship here at Hillsdale College as well. Doctor Lehrer, thanks for joining us.
S4: Thank you. It's a pleasure to be with you.
S3: Talking today about your dissertation work at the School of Statesmanship on the political thought and statesmanship of James Monroe. You argue that Monroe was one of the most important statesmen of our founding era. What role has he played in our understanding of the founders and why, perhaps, has he been a bit overlooked?
S4: Well, my scholarship try to tackle was the fact that he actually hasn't played a significant role in our understanding of the founding era, which is a massive, I think, injustice from historical studies. John Quincy Adams, during his eulogy of Monroe, talks about how he's the only man whose life is associated with every single major event of the founding era for a whole half century. You know, he joins the American Revolution at 17, receives a near mortal wound at the Battle of Trenton and is involved in practically every single major political event in the founding era. From then on out, you know, he he's involved in the ratification of the Constitution in Virginia. He actually has a unique kind of he's one of the only founders, you know, the only president to not sign the Constitution, which makes him kind of a unique figure in that regards, even beyond the constitutional era and the early 1790s. You know, he's ambassador to France during the George Washington administration. He's governor of Virginia during the revolution of 1800. He's secretary of state of James Madison during the war of 1812. Then he oversees as president the Missouri Compromise. And so he's really central to all these major events. And while he's not necessarily always the number one guy on the stage, so to speak, he's always in the background, he's always there. And so I argue that if you really want to understand the founding, particularly through the eyes of great men, that Monroe is one. You could do that through. You know, there's founders like Hamilton and James Wilson, who we all recognize as being significant and actually have a greater grasp on our national consciousness. But their influence wanes by 18, the early 1800s for many of them. Right. Monroe is there, right all the way through the end of it. And so I believe that really, if you look at Monroe, he represents a mature understanding of the founding in the same way that the founders learn some things. So they're prudent men. At the end of the day, when Roe is the the archetype of that. Right. He goes from the starry eyed patriot of 1776 to the mature statesman of 1824, reflecting on the future of the nation. And I think fundamentally that's the greatest insight he offers to the study of the founding.
S3: Your dissertation argues that Monroe saw the American Republic as the best regime in principle, theory and practice. What exactly did he mean by that?
S4: Yeah. So Monroe was deeply learned, and he read Aristotle. He read Polybius, he read Locke, Montesquieu. And one of the big things that really struck him and he and you see this in some of his early writings during the constitutional ratification. Is that okay? America has unique has a unique destiny here, he says. It's widely. He comments in his political treatise how it's widely regarded that American Revolution is the most important event in human history. And because it's the first regime to be predicated on the fundamental truth of natural equality. But it's also, in a lot of ways, he viewed America as redeeming the cause of self-government for the world and for the West. And but when he looks back, he thinks about how Athens failed. Sparta failed. Rome failed, right? That self-governments have also been often fickle. And so, you know, America is the best regime for Monroe because it is the first regime predicated on natural equality, but it's also the best regime in practice, he believes, because it solved some of these fundamental issues regarding faction and stability that he believes ate at the core of the old republics. And it did that through our constitutional order, which is quite fascinating for Monroe, because, as I mentioned, he voted against the ratification of the Constitution originally. But by the time he leaves the presidency and returns to the plow, so to speak, he's reflecting on America and the things that it overcame. And he firmly believes that lesser regimes like the French Republic would have succumbed to the sort of pressures that America dealt with during the founding. He equates that to the strength of our constitutional order and the wisdom of the Constitution itself. And so America is a great balance between theory and practice for Monroe. It's the best regime and principle because it's predicated on natural equality, but it's also the best regime in practice, because it's created a stable constitutional order that allows liberty to thrive.
S3: Talking with Doctor Samuel Lair, his dissertation on the political thought and statesmanship of James Monroe. You describe Monroe as believing that human beings are naturally political. How did that help shape his view of citizenship and of self-government?
S4: Yes. Monroe read Aristotle and Aristotle is the one that kind of begins this notion of American man as a political animal. Monroe believes the same thing. He talks about in his political treatise, how men are essentially controlled by moral causes. He says that they're effectually creatures of circumstances influenced by the times within which they they live. And that's important for Monroe, because it speaks to the trueness of Republican government, right? Man's not meant merely to be ruled right without also being ruled in turn. Right. So yes, he is. And this goes to actually the central thesis of his book. He describes it, or the title of his book is The People The Sovereign's right. And that's because the people hold the sovereignty in the American regime. He talks about how sovereignty in the American context is a kind of dual character, right? You're both the ruler of the American regime as a citizen, because sovereignty flows from you, but you're also obeying the laws of the Constitution of the American Republic itself. And so he viewed man's political nature as perfectly in accordance with what the founders are trying to create when they establish the Constitution. But he also viewed it as essentially tied to other facets of American institutions, namely education. He's one of the largest proponents of education in the American founding, and this notion of man as a political animal deeply informed his views on education. It's why he promoted widely. Public education is because he believed that you had to take that kernel, right, that that base nature that man has and try to help see it fulfilled. So that way he could truly become a self-governing citizen of a republic. There's a term he uses during his first inaugural, which I find very fascinating. And he says, our government is emphatically a system of self-government. Right. And when you read Monroe's writings, you see that he views these term encompassing. Right? We're a self-government because the American people control themselves. They're not beholden to some foreign empire. It's a self-government because the American people rule themselves via essentially a republican institutions. Correct. But it's also a self-government in the sense that every man rules himself, right? He's moral. And so it's all those things together that make man self-governing and fundamentally political.
S3: Doctor Samuel Leir with us talking about the political thought and statesmanship of James Monroe. One of the themes in your dissertation is Monroe's concern with preserving the Republic. What threats to the Republic worried him the most?
S4: In his political treatise, Monroe says that there's two threats that threaten the preservation of the republic consolidation and disunion. And he viewed both of these through the lens in which he saw them as a political operator. In addition to I want to be political theorist, so to speak, during the 1790s. You know, he's one of the major political figures in the Democratic Republican Party, alongside Jefferson and alongside Madison. And he viewed the Federalists of his time, although he walks this back eventually as moving the republic towards a consolidated monarchy. Right. So this notion that we're going to erode the constitutional order predicated on federalism and that we're all going to centralize power into the into the executive, right. So the state powers will be delegated to the federal government, and then eventually Congress's powers will be delegated into the executive, and you're going to have a monarchy. And this is something that he learned also through his study of the ancient republics, he noticed that both Athens and Rome had a tendency to centralize power and strong men when they were threatened. But Monroe also, as he came along, started to realize, particularly during the war of 1812, that America was also threatened by a different problem. And that's what ultimately the Union succumbed to during the Civil War, which was this union. And he first encountered this during the Hartford Convention near the end of the war of 1812, where several Federalist strongholds in Massachusetts and Connecticut and elsewhere kind of flirted with the idea of succession, but then it really hit him full bore during the Missouri crisis, and that's when he fully started to understand that like, oh, there's something else here that we have to be aware of. And so his presidency, in a lot of ways, can be understood as trying to tamp down these two competing tendencies in the American republic, one towards consolidation, which he tried to do through proper Republican management, so to speak, but also through unity, right. Trying to unify the American people around our common sentiments, rooted in the Declaration of Independence, to prevent us from tearing apart in a way that eventually did during the Civil War.
S3: That's Doctor Samuel Lehr. His dissertation on James Monroe will continue discussing in a moment. First, I want to remind you, if you were with us for the first part of the program, you know, there's a new Hillsdale College online course on the Iliad. It's a tag team with the Odyssey, both available right now at hillsdale.edu/course. The Odyssey, taught by Doctor Ben Whalen from our English department. The Iliad, taught by Doctor Stephen Smith from our English department here at Hillsdale. Homer's Iliad is the first epic poem introducing students in this course to the origin of Western literature and telling the tale of Achilles rage during the Trojan War. It looks at the complexity of human nature choices men must make as we face our mortality and the vices and virtues to which those choices lead. Sign up for the online course on The Iliad at hillsdale.edu/course. That's hillsdale.edu/ewcourse. We continue with Doctor Samuel Lair, recent graduate from Hillsdale Van Andel School of Statesmanship, his dissertation on the political thought and statesmanship of James Monroe. Doctor lair something you write about is how Monroe applied these principles to issues like slavery and the American Indians. How did he reconcile those issues with some of the ideals found in the declaration?
S4: Monroe on the Indian question, so to speak, is particularly interesting because, you know, that's a very controversial topic, right? It's hard to look back on and view nuance in the Indian removal policies of Jackson. But when you read Monroe and you read the founders, generally, you actually start to realize that the founders weren't these bigots, you know, rubbing their hands together, trying to think about how they could steal land from the Native Americans. Monroe actually had a profound respect for Native American culture. He calls them free and high minded in his political treatise, and he actually views Native American society in its kind of proto republican institutions as a fundamental proof of the Republican thesis that man is by nature free and equal, but he also, you know, as a Lockean, so to speak, believes fundamentally in this notion that property belongs to the rational and industrious. When Jackson seizes Florida, he talks about in one of his addresses that. Or it's actually a letter to Madison. That land must be managed in such a way that it provides the greatest benefit to the greatest number. Right. So that we can essentially follow the first commandment to be fruitful and multiply. And so Monroe is trying to wrestle with these two things, right? Essentially, the natural rights of the Native Americans, along with his deep respect for their culture, but also this other notion that, so to speak, that, well, we have this Lockean mandate in order to develop this, you know, unproductive land in the American West. And the way he approaches it is, you know, actually much more nuanced than the Jackson administration eventually did. He was an early supporter of so-called Indian removal, but he viewed it as a more humane policy. He didn't view it as a greedy policy. He actually believed, fundamentally that this was the best way to secure Native Americans in their way of life in many ways, but also their existence. You read his writings, and he worries deeply about the influence civilization has on, you know, kind of pre-civilized peoples, right? They're not used to the vices and the luxuries of alcohol and jewelry and all these sort of things. And he thinks it can be corrupting to people who are unprepared for it. In the same way he thinks it's corrupted Europe. And so his administration, along with John C Calhoun, was his secretary of war, kind of developed the early plan for Indian removal based on this notion that we're going to provide equal and just terms to the Native Americans. We're going to give them fair compensation for their land in the West, and then we're going to relocate them west to the of the Mississippi. And in turn, we're going to introduce into agriculture. We're going to introduce them to private property. We're going to develop schools for them. We're going to develop institutions of government. So that way they can understand how Republican governments are supposed to work. And actually, his his ultimate vision was that he hoped that this so proto Indian state he was creating would eventually become part of the union. And one of the key facets, I think, that Monroe hits on, which distinguishes himself from Jackson, is that while he develops this plan, he qualifies it in the sense that we cannot do this without the consent of the Native American tribes. We cannot force them at gunpoint to move from their lands. They have to recognize themselves that this would be good for them and good for the union, and that we have a destiny to be part of the same national republic together. And so it's kind of an interesting, so to speak, alternative history, to wonder if it was Monroe who was president in 1830 during Indian removal, rather than Jackson to see if the policy would have been handled much more humanely in a way that conformed to justice. But, you know, it's it's a very nuanced and difficult question to talk about. But I think, Monroe, you know, when you look at his writings, you look at his approach to it, he does really try to balance the principles of the declaration with just the prudence of this really pressing issue.
S3: Talking with Doctor Samuel Blair about his dissertation work on the political thought and statesmanship of James Monroe. Monroe was deeply skeptical of political parties. Why did he think that parties posed a danger to constitutional government? And why did he believe that a healthy republic would be just fine without them?
S4: Monroe's understanding of political parties was deeply influenced by the ancient political writers on the subject of faction. Aristotle, Polybius and others. And fundamentally, he viewed political parties as an extension of the old mixed regime, so to speak. The constitutional order promoted by Aristotle and Polybius and Cicero and others that talked about how we need to balance the interests of the few, the many and the one which you kind of see in the Roman Republic. What you saw at that time contemporaneously with Monroe and the Great Britain, and he viewed political parties as essentially engines of faction in that sense. Right. If we promote political parties, we're always going to have be pitting a party for the few against the party of the many, which is just going to undermine the civil harmony and the concord of America's republic. And I think one of the most fascinating parts of his presidency is his efforts to suppress this. His national tours. He's actually the first president to tour the United States. And there's this really striking image during it when he when he enters Boston during the 4th of July, and he goes to Boston Commons. And there's this is a time where, you know, Massachusetts is just about to secede or it was thinking about seceding during the war of 1812. It's the Federalist stronghold. It didn't vote for him, but he viewed this as an opportunity for unity. And when he enters into Boston Commons, there's a few hundred school children, and all the boys, I believe, are in red roses, and all the girls are in white roses. And for people who know their history of the war of the roses, the red and the white rose are the Tudor rose. It's the rose of unity that the Tudor household developed is to show that the British kingdom was united. And that was a symbol from the Federalist to Monroe, saying that the old distinctions between Federalist and Republican are no more. We need to unify under this common banner of Americans the same way you did in 1776. Monroe saw in that brief instant during the era of good feelings, that actually some unity is possible. Right? We can do this. We're the greatest nation on earth, right? We don't need to resort to these old modes and structures of the ancient republics to depend on the quote he uses in his in his treatise, is that we don't always have to be threatened by the bayonets. Right. In order for us to work together. Right. Man is by nature, he thinks, kind of altruistic and political, right? In the sense that we want to work together. We're inclined to be in communities. Um, and he truly believed that by a firm, although it's romantic, you know, it's still nice, which is that if we firmly adhere to the principles of the Declaration of Independence, we firmly try to live out the spirit of 1776 that we can kind of overcome, so to speak, some of the worst parts of our nature. And the last facet of it that for him made it possible, not merely romantic, is that our constitutional order allowed for these things to happen. Right? We didn't we don't need to pit the poor against the wealthy because we have the separation of powers and you have the executive will check the legislature and the Supreme Court will check the other branches. You have the state governments checking the federal governments. And so just kind of allow the process to work out trust in the process in the system that the founders created, and focus on uniting the nation. That was Monroe's fundamental belief, and I think he actually accomplished it for a short amount of time.
S3: So if we look at Monroe, we know he emphasizes civic virtue, public education institutions that prepare citizens for self-government. What lessons can we perhaps take from that for modern America?
S4: I think the greatest lesson you can take from Monroe is on his view of civic virtue and public education. Right now, our education system is in very much a bad way, with few exceptions. And Monroe essentially argued for what we would call today patriotic education education, which is primarily directed towards the formation of a citizen capable of self-government, and that kind of cuts against many of the modes and orders that currently go through most education systems in this country. The easiest one, you know, even beyond some of the controversial topics regarding Dei, you know, just on the base level of many states still view public education or education generally as workforce development, right? That the primary goal for for education is to get you a job.
S3: Mhm.
S4: Monroe would recognize that as partly true, but you have to remember what makes public education actually just right. It's not that you're kind of centrally planning the economy, it's that we're all in this together and that when you go to the ballot box, your vote has a fundamental and serious impact on the rights of other citizens. And so we all have this shared common interest in ensuring that everyone has the basic virtue necessary for self-government. And I think really, if we looked at how Monroe and frankly, the other Founding Fathers as well, talked about education, it provides a really timeless model, right? We're always worried about 21st century education. How do we deal with education and the advent of AI and all these things where it's no, we if we go back to how the founders understood it, right. We are a public education, as Aristotle recognized, has to be directed towards the former regime. And so our first and primary obligation should be preparing citizens for this great duty that they have to be citizens of our constitutional order. And I think that's probably one of the greatest lessons that Monroe has for us today.
S3: Doctor Samuel Leir is former director of the center for American Education at Idaho Freedom Foundation, also a recent graduate at the Van Angeles School of Statesmanship here at Hillsdale College, and his dissertation work on the political thought and statesmanship of James Monroe. Doctor Lehrer, thanks so much for joining us here on Radio Free Hillsdale Hour.
S4: Thank you. It was a pleasure. Was all mine.
S3: That will wrap up this edition of the Radio Free Hillsdale Hour. Our thanks to Doctor Steven Smith, your teacher for the new Hillsdale College online course, The Iliad at hillsdale.edu/course. And Doctor Samuel Lehrer, his dissertation on James Monroe. Remember, you can hear new episodes every week on this station. You also can find extended versions of some of our interviews, or listen anytime to the podcast. Find it@podcasts.apple.edu or wherever you get your audio. Until next week, I'm Scott Bertram, and this has been the radio free Hillsdale Hour.