S1: From the historic campus of Hillsdale College in Hillsdale, Michigan, where the good, the true and the beautiful are taught, nurtured and honored. This is the radio free Hillsdale Hour, bringing the activity and education of the college to listeners across the country.
S2: Socialism can never die. A new generations of imbeciles will come along that will fall prey to that reflex. That infantile logic is perfectly justified when I'm five years old in kindergarten.
S3: This is your host, Scott Bertram. Welcome to the Radio Free Hillsdale Hour. Part of the Hillsdale College Podcast Network. That was God Sword, author of the new book, Suicidal Empathy Dying to Be Kind. We'll go in depth with him on today's program. Also later on, Doctor Stephen Smith from Hillsdale College. He's written a new book, The Last Riddle Advice on Living and Dying Well, from the imprisoned Saint Thomas More. First, very pleased to be joined now by God. He is an evolutionary behavioral scientist, a professor, a noted author. His previous book, The Parasitic Mind, is brand new. One is Suicidal Empathy, dying to be kind, and it is available now. God, thanks so much for joining us.
S2: Oh, thank you for having me, Scott. Great to be with you.
S3: Suicidal empathy. A good virtue gone bad, as the first chapter says. What's the problem with too much? And you're you're careful to say it's not empathy itself. You have a problem with. But what is wrong with too much empathy?
S2: So let me explain it using some evolutionary principles, and I'll draw first an analogy, and then it'll lead back to your question. So let's suppose that you and I, Scott, were to meet at a party and prior to you coming up to introduce yourself and shake my hand, I noticed that you had been incessantly sneezing into your hand. And so I had scanned the environment for potential threats, which is an evolutionarily adaptive mechanism. Then I shook your hand politely, and then I quietly and discreetly headed off to the bathroom to wash my hands because I don't want to catch your cold. So what started off as an adaptive process can now become maladaptive in the following way. If you suffer from germ contamination fears, which is a form of obsessive compulsive disorder, you end up sticking in the bathroom for the next eight hours until your skin is falling off, scalding hot water because you can't extricate yourself from that action once it begins. So what started off as an adaptive well-modulated well calibrated mechanism becomes maladaptive when it misfires. The exact same principle applies in the distinction between empathy and suicidal empathy. Empathy, as you correctly pointed in the introduction to your question, is a perfectly laudable virtue. We are a social species for you and I to have a meaningful conversation, I need to put myself in your mind and vice versa. That's called cognitive empathy or theory of mind. But like Aristotle explained to us several thousand years ago via his golden mean, too little of something is not good. If I have no empathy, I'm a psychopath. Too much of something is not good, and much of life is finding that sweet spot. So suicidal empathy is really a three part monster. Number one, it is hyper active. It hyper fires in the wrong situations towards the wrong targets of your empathy. Once you put those three together, you're well on your way to ending Western civilization.
S3: And you say it is never a good idea to ignore the warning signs of reality. So what's the what's the flashing light on the dashboard that's telling you that far too many of us are suffering from suicidal empathy.
S2: Well, of course, the book is about identifying endless manifestations of suicidal empathy, both in terms of domestic policies and foreign policies that speak to your question. But let's take maybe the the most ominously flashing sign, although we can then drill down to other examples if you'd like. Immigration is is a wonderful thing if it is well calibrated. Gad Saad is an immigrant who was granted status in Canada because I was escaping the Lebanese Civil War. Elon Musk is an immigrant who then has gone on. He came to Canada first and then moved on to the United States. The fact that Gartside and Elon Musk are immigrants, as is Ahmed Muhammad Hussain, who is a frequent guest in the summer camps of al Qaeda in Waziristan. We're all called immigrants, but the likelihood of us equally contributing to society, and equally likely in internalizing the ethos of American exceptionalism, is not true. To be equal, suicidal empathy says no. You're all immigrants. Therefore you all are equally likely to share in the beautiful experiment called United States. If you argue that there is a difference in the likelihood of people coming in and contributing positively, then you are a bigot. You're an islamophobe, you're a racist, you're a and so on. And therefore, let's have open border policies, because everyone should have the chance to contribute to the great American experience. So open border policies is the fastest way by which suicidal empathy is going to lead to the demise of the West.
S3: God is with us. His new book, Suicidal Empathy Dying to Be Kind. So many of these chapters are wonderful. I enjoyed the second chapter on forbidden knowledge and the idea of calling things what they what they are. You just talked about immigration. Are they illegal immigrants? Are they illegal aliens? Are they simply undocumented? We have Brett Kavanaugh has attempted assassin who for everyone is clearly a man. And the media insists on calling him a woman because he has asked them to. Why is it so important to call things and identify things for what they are?
S2: Right? Look, a foundational feature of being homo sapiens is we have a prefrontal cortex that allows us to navigate through daily reality in a way that is meaningful, right? So, for example, the most defining feature of our respective personhood is our biological sex. We are a sexually dimorphic, sexually reproducing species consisting of two phenotypes called male and female. That reality was known very clearly to the 117 billion people that had lived on earth. That's an actual estimate since Homo sapiens became a distinct species. So until 15 minutes ago, when we took progressive biology courses at Oberlin College, we were able to fully adjudicate the very difficult conundrum of identifying who's male or female. That's why our ancestors were able to do. Or what is that thing called mating? But 15 minutes ago, we realized that we had been really succumbing to heteronormative reality. In saying that, I know that if if you look at God's art, he's actually male based on his clear visual markers. That's why I need to put a pronoun thing in my bio so that you know that I'm really male, not female. Now, once we rape and murder truth for such a ridiculous context, then all possible truths are up for grabs, and they be and they become part of forbidden knowledge. Don't recognize something as truthful if it has any chance of hurting the feelings of some marginalized group. So what you're doing then, Scott, forgive me for the long winded answer is you're applying what's called a consequentialist ethic to deontological principle. Deontology are absolute statements. So if I say it is never okay to lie, that would be deontological statement. If I say it is okay to lie, to spare the feelings of someone I love, that would be a consequentialist statement for most things in life. It makes perfect sense for us to be consequentialist, but for foundational principles such as freedom of speech, freedom of inquiry, presumption of innocence those have to be deontological. Once I apply a consequentialist lens to that, we're off and running.
S3: God is with us. His book, Suicidal Empathy Dying to Be Kind A Chapter on cultures and you argue not all cultures are equal. Is it harmful for us not to acknowledge that perhaps the West is best?
S2: Well, it's very harmful, right? I mean, if you were an individual going to see a therapist for a pathological lack of self-esteem, no one would say that's a terrible thing that that that you actually are going to see a therapist. It's wonderfully healthy for you to self-flagellate all day long about how insignificant of a human being you are. It makes perfect sense for you to go see a therapist who hopefully will extricate you out of your personal self-loathing. But if you apply that exact self-loathing to the West, then you become someone who we all want to invite to the progressive, cool kids parties in Manhattan. Because we're defined in our progressive ethos by the fact that we recognize that all cultures are equal, except the West is less equal than the other cultures. Now what? What is the parasitic idea that allows this kind of nonsense to flourish? I discussed this, as you kindly pointed out in the intro in my one of my previous books, The Parasitic Mind, where I talk about cultural relativism as a parasitic idea. Cultural relativism renders me impotent to make value judgments about the practices and beliefs of another culture, especially, God forbid, if that other culture is not a white culture. So if the other culture wishes to cut off the clitorises of five year old girls, shut up. Racist. If the other culture wants to engage in child brides, shut up racist. If the other culture wants to stone women to death, shut up. Racist. Well, now you could see how if I internalize the parasitic idea of cultural relativism that creates the fertile ground for my open border immigration policy, because I'm no longer able to say, these folks from these cultures are more likely to assimilate than those folks from that culture.
S3: We have two interesting, I want to say, experiments, but we have two interesting things happening when it comes to the world of criminal justice and some of our urban areas. There is an increase in policing, an increase in arrests, and thus we see a decrease in crime, particularly in public transit situations in Washington, D.C., where President Trump has had some activity. On the other hand, we have candidates and some who are winning primaries here in the United States, arguing for no prisons and no police, and making every excuse possible for those who are breaking the law. As a chapter here where you say reflexively mitigating the actions of violent criminals by proposing external root causes, it's not that person's problem, not that person's fault that he or she is doing what they are doing. I've seen stories recently where there are people who are attacked, who are hesitant to press charges. They don't want to have the person who have who has harmed them to face consequences. Why is there such this tendency to want to overlook people who clearly want to do harm, either to you personally or to society at large?
S2: Because in their view, the suicidal, empathetic folks. There is a competing hierarchy of more of a moral calculus and the highest aspiration. As I stroke my luxuriant hair and looking at my reflection in the mirror of moral preening, is that I do not ever punish felons of color because I'm a good person. Now, why is that? What's the reflex there? This is why I use the new term that I introduced blank slate felons. Blank slate comes from another parasitic idea that I discussed in the parasitic mind called social constructivism. Social constructivism argues that all realities that you see before you are. Due to socialization. We are born tabula rasa, empty slate, blank slate. And it is only the vagaries of our idiosyncratic life trajectories that make us who we become. We're all born with equal potentiality, equal likelihood of criminality, and so on and so forth. So now imagine if you internalize that ethos, then you argue that someone who is born black in the terribly white supremacist society known as the United States has already been existentially punished. So now you're going to tell me that you're going to put this noble felon of color in prison. If only he committed 193 previous crimes, don't you think you should be a good person and give him a second chance? And by second chance, I mean 194th Opportunity to make good in his life. So because I'm a good person who bathes in the infinity pool of suicidal empathy, I don't think that it serves anybody any purpose to to put a felon of color in prison.
S3: God. God is with us. We'll continue in a moment with more on his new book, Suicidal Empathy. We are past July 4th, but we can still celebrate the Declaration of Independence and our founding 250 years ago. You might remember me telling you about revolutionary America. Well, if you missed it in theaters, now you can find it online. Search for Revolutionary America on YouTube. It is the first documentary about the American Revolution that you can trust from Hillsdale College. 250 years ago, a group of ordinary people did something very, very extraordinary. With America's anniversary now past us, we still have time to remember exactly what they did and why it still matters. Watch Revolutionary America from Hillsdale College now on YouTube. We continue with God sod. His new book is Suicidal Empathy Dying to Be Kind. God, as you explain, I think in the introduction early in the book, there is narcissism, existential guilt that is driving suicidal empathy. And people like the ones you describe see this as penance for their unearned advantage in that way. Is there any limit to that kind of suicidal empathy?
S2: No. I mean, so and let me let me describe another term that I use in the book that I think would be very apropos to what you just asked. I often will call someone bathing in just completely fatal suicidal empathy. I call them a wood cricket. Why do I do that? Because a wood cricket is an insect that wants nothing to do with water. It avoids water, but when it is parasitized by a parasite called a hair worm, the hair worm needs the wood cricket to jump into water happily and merrily, committing suicide in order to suit the reproductive interests of the hair worm, which could only complete its reproductive cycle in water. So it is literally taking it to the extreme. I'm willing to give up my life in this case if I'm a wood cricket because I've been parasitized. Okay, well, let's apply it to the human context. I and there are endless examples of that, but I'll give one that's very powerful. A woman is intercepted on the street by one of those street interviewers. I think it's in Manchester. She's at a free, free Palestine, you know, eradicate the Jews in Palestine and so on. And she's she's clearly a British woman. Uh, so the interviewer says, oh, you're your free, free Palestine. Okay, well, do you know what they do to gay people and queer people in Palestine? And she goes, yes, I know I'm queer myself. So then he's taken aback and he says, well, what do you mean? So you're you're supporting the society that if you were there, they would kill you. She goes, yes, he goes, but how could that be possible? He's he's really incredulous. He doesn't understand it. He hadn't read my book yet. And so and so then he and then she says, well, I don't care just the. Just because they're going to kill me doesn't mean that they're not worthy of my support. They have a right to exist. Well, that's what a human form would cricket looks like. So there is no end to my suicidal empathy. I'm willing to die at that altar once I've been parasitized by that mindset.
S3: That leads me to a question about the chapter on meritocracy scientific knowledge. You say that it's tantamount to white supremacy in the minds of those who are suicidally Empathetic. And yet, if we look at the areas in which those things don't matter anymore, you point out aviation people flying our planes, uh, medicine at UCLA has come under fire for their admission practices and how they gauge who is going to be admitted to their doctoral programs. These are areas in which we all can bear the consequences. It's not some, some, some thing out in space that has no bearing on our life. The people who fly our planes, the people who diagnose our illnesses, the people who are practicing surgery on us. These are people who are going through this idea that meritocracy and scientific knowledge itself are white supremacy. Do people understand the potential consequences of that and not care? Like that woman you explained?
S2: Uh, well, in academia, they don't care. The average person walking in the street understands how insane this is, but they feel as though they don't have the power to affect change, which is simply not true. If you speak out. The silent majority. The tests. All this stuff. But they are completely locked in. A tragedy of the commons. You know what? Let God speak out. He's a big boy. He can handle it on our behalf. I simply have too many costs to bear if I actually speak out against this nonsense. God can handle it on our behalf. But the reality is. I mean, it's aviation. It's medicine. But let's discuss another one. How about firefighting? How about the deputy chief of the L.A. Fire Department, who is a obese woman of color, who is also queer, explaining to the rest of us simpletons that listen when when you're going somewhere, you know, to save someone from a burning fire, you want to know that the person who's saving you looks like you. And then using my now legendary satire, I said, absolutely right. When you are an obese, queer woman who weighs as much as a California seal. You don't want some tall, muscular, heterosexual firefighter saving you because he can't understand your plight. You want an equally immobile, fat, queer lesbian to get you out of your predicament, because then she really understands your plight. That person who uttered those words, Scott, was not being satirical. She has fully internalized the cancer known as diversity, inclusion, and equity. So from her vantage point, what she said makes perfect sense.
S3: God is with us. Suicidal empathy is his new book, Dying to Be Kind. We have to talk a bit about socialism and the rise of some of these DSA candidates here in the United States, recently winning primaries in New York, but also winning mayoral elections across the country. You say in the book that Socialism's rise is fueled by the allure of empathetic fairness. Would you point to that as the primary factor in what we've seen over the past few years, and perhaps this year, in particular with these DSA Democratic Socialists of America candidates winning and the the allure of socialism among some of our younger, college educated Americans, but also some of our wealthier white liberal Americans as well.
S2: Exactly. Right now, it's a one two punch. So it's first, one of the seven deadly sins is envy. In the Ten Commandments, we have the allure of covetousness, right? Or look, he, that bastard neighbor of mine has that, uh, Porsche, and I don't have it. Right. That's positional economy. I compare myself to the other. So take envy. Which moral philosophers and theologians have known as a alluring trapped as part of the architecture of human beings, and then coupled that, coupled that with the supposed empathy of creating equality. It's simply unfair. If I'm a suicidally empathetic person that Elon Musk has so much money, when someone else who works very hard doesn't have enough to necessarily put food on the table, that existential reality is grossly unfair. So why don't we have an empathetic overlord? Because they are seeking to maximize existential fairness. Come and take all the money from those gluttonous, wealthy people and give it to other people. Therefore, we could all live in this wonderful unicornia where we're all equally miserable. Right. And so it is absolutely rooted in that reflex that socialism can never die. That's why I call it akin to the phoenix that always arises from the ashes. Because as long as we'll be reproducing new members of Homo sapiens, a new generations of imbeciles will come along that will fall prey to that reflex. But now here's the issue, Scott. That infantile logic is perfectly justified when I'm five years old in kindergarten, this is when I learned that sharing is caring. It's not right for Johnny to have four toys while Billy is sitting twiddling his thumbs with no toys. So we teach them to internalize the message of sharing is caring. But then once I become older and I'm slapped by this thing called reality, I understand that human beings are a hierarchical species. Now, why is that important? Because some of us are taller or shorter, harder working or less harder working. So we are not communistic in our inherent human nature. E.O. Wilson, the famous Harvard biologist who studied social ants. Social ants are communistic. There is a reproductive queen, and then there is an indistinguishable class of worker ants and soldier ants. So it is literally the case that social ants are communistic. When he was asked Professor Wilson, what are your thoughts on socialism slash communism, he gave arguably the greatest answer of all time. He said, great idea. Wrong species. So when you are constantly imposing a socio political economic system that is incongruent with our phylogenetic history, it shouldn't be a surprise that it will always fail wherever it's tried. But apparently Bernie Sanders and occasional cortex AOC will usher the real socialism once they take power from the rest of us.
S3: God is with us. Suicidal empathy is the new book. You say that Donald Trump's second election does not spell the end of the lunacy that has gripped the West. Is there any long term change that you see from the president's second term that can't be undercut by someone else coming to power, someone else becoming president for from a different party?
S2: The you want me to lie or give you the honest.
S3: Give us the honest truth.
S2: No. The fact that Donald Trump has come in in the same way that he signed an executive order ending the trance lunacy in collegiate sports, the next person comes in and reverses it through the same mechanism. This is why I said exactly when you led with your question, that we can be we can breathe a sigh of relief momentarily, that it was Donald Trump that won and not the opponent, because then that would have just, you know, doubled and tripled down on all the lunacy. But he only serves as a temporary temporal doorstop for in order for the problem to go away forever. The parasitic ideas that eventually lead to suicidal empathy have to be vanquished. Now that doesn't happen by having one president serve one term and hopefully getting rid of the woke monster. You really. Now, let me just kind of give a timestamp on some of these parasitic ideas, depending on which parasitic idea we're speaking of. These spawned and flourished on university campuses somewhere between 50 to 100 years ago. So, for example, cultural relativism was developed by a cultural anthropologist named Franz Boas. That's about 100 years ago. The postmodernist, uh, monster as a parasitic idea was really developed by a bunch of French philosophers Jacques Derrida, Jacques Lacan, Michel Foucault. This is about 50 or 60 years ago now. I'd like to think that it won't take 50 to 100 years to eradicate that which took that long to flourish. But it's not going to start and end with Donald Trump, I'm afraid to say.
S3: God. God is the author of the new book, Suicidal Empathy Dying to Be Kind. It's available now. And there's the cover. God, thanks so much for joining us here on the Radio Free Hillsdale Hour.
S2: Great chatting with you. Thank you for having me, Scott.
S3: Up next, Doctor Stephen Smith from Hillsdale College will discuss his new book on the advice from the imprisoned Saint Thomas More. I'm Scott Bertram. This is the radio free Hillsdale Hour. Welcome back to the radio free Hillsdale Hour. I'm Scott Bertram. Be sure to follow us on Acts at Hillsdale Radio for updated show and guest information. We're joined by Doctor Stephen Smith. He is Temple family chair of English literature at Hillsdale College, also dean of Humanities here. And his new book is The Last Riddle Advice on Living and Dying Well from the Imprisoned Saint Thomas More. Doctor Smith, thanks so much for joining us.
S4: Thank you for having me, Scott. Pleasure to be here.
S3: Interesting, uh, interesting conversation today about these letters from Thomas Moore that he wrote in your analysis of them. For our listeners who might not be so familiar, we always like to begin by cluing them in. So who was Thomas Moore and why was he even imprisoned?
S4: He was the famous English statesman, father and friend who lived from 1478 to 1535, and he was an author who was famous for writing Utopia. He was also speaker of the House, Lord Chancellor of England. And then in the events of the 1530s, he was imprisoned for refusing to take the oath of the act of succession that had come his way through Henry and Henry's ministers. He was imprisoned in the Tower of London in 1534, and then on July 1st, 1535, he was put on trial, found guilty of malicious treason, and he was executed on Tower Hill on July 6th, 1535.
S3: Also mentioned that there's a series of videos at Thomas More studies.org, a video series that Doctor Smith's involved in. You can check out. We will find out a bit more about that later. These writings in The Last Riddle, you describe them as meditations on life's ultimate questions, which like to become very clear when you're in his position. Why do you think these final months of his life still fascinate readers some 500 years later.
S4: Well, the idea of the book is that you can begin on the morning of Moore's first interrogation and follow his footsteps, his mind, his heart, through these letters and prayers, right to the trial and to his death. And I think that the reason the tower is so fascinating to, to readers and to history is that it really shows us a great man at the testing point of his life. Moore was in his 50s at this point. He had held many offices. He was famous. But this really is the testing point of his whole life, of his integrity and questions of principle and compromise and virtue come up. But also, it's a family drama, a drama of friendship and a drama about the rule of law as well. So the story of the Tower of London and the plight of this great man for those 15 months is powerful, fascinating, unforgettable.
S3: Before he became a martyr, you mentioned all these things Moore had done and accomplished lawyer, statesman, diplomat, husband, father. Do we see a particular side of Thomas Moore emerge clearly in these writings inside the Last Riddle?
S4: I think that Moore is among the most versatile authors I have studied personally. So yes, he has many sides, kind of many minded, many sided, versatile man. And I think that in the tower letters, um, the lawyer certainly comes out in regard to the rule of law. Um, on the more personal side, the fatherhood of Thomas Moore, uh, comes out and his lifelong commitment to friendship. Finally, one of the great Yale scholars of Thomas More. Louis Martz has called the letters in particular some of More's greatest literary masterpieces. So there's an art and a beauty to the writing that I think makes them, um, just unforgettable.
S3: Talking with Doctor Stephen Smith, his new book, The Last Riddle Advice on Living and Dying Well from the imprisoned Saint Thomas More. When you read these letters inside the last riddle, you. You do notice that there's warmth and there's humor. Uh, even for a man in More's position, how does he remain cheerful while facing his ultimate end?
S4: Well, the title refers to the last riddle, refers to the riddle he told his daughter he was living in the Tower of London, which is how a man may lose his head and have no harm. Mhm. So I, joking with the production team at Word on Fire. It's a bit of a guide to decapitation. Personal kind of Mary guide to How to Lose Your Head. But it's a good question. You know, I don't think the family thought the riddle was all that funny. Sure, sure. They wanted their their father husband. They wanted him back. They wanted him out of the tower. But he was famous for his humor. Scott. Um, he's described like a laughing philosopher early in his life. The Merry More. This is the man who jested on the way to decapitation, famously. But I think the important thing to see here is that the humor is not frivolous. It's not just like, you know, we're just not reaching that guy. Like, you know, he's just out of place. Humor. It was a deep sense of humor at human things, at earthly things, a mirthfulness, a merriment. And what you find if you study the especially the tower writings, is that his good humor was an expression of his hope. Mhm. Uh, his hope in God, his perspective on eternity and on human life. And yes, he did love laughing at the ridiculous, as so many of us do. He had a keen eye for it. But his last wish at trial, even to those who who condemned him, was that they would all make merry together in heaven. So he sees eternity as a place of laughter and good humor as well.
S3: Is there a particular letter inside the last riddle where we might encounter, or you think we encounter the real Thomas More most vividly?
S4: Yeah. I think that, um, there are about three different answers to that question. Um, the interrogation letters, you really see Moore's poise and command and peace of soul under tremendous pressure. That's a very hard to do in real time. And those interrogation letters show us the high stakes life and death interrogation of Thomas Moore. But obviously the letters to his daughter, I think, are where that, uh, fatherhood comes out and the friendship, uh, very beautifully. His relationship with his daughter was famous. Um, Erasmus, you know, was, was very familiar with it, for example. And Moore took great pains educating his daughters. So the more Meg relationship is at the heart of the book. And maybe the last one I would single out is the letter to Anthony Bonvisi, um, which he wrote a month before his trial and death. And it is a tribute to friendship across an entire lifetime, I will confess, is probably my favorite letter, along with his last letter to Meg, um, which was written the day before his death. So the interrogation letters, the letters to Meg, and then the letter to this man of mystery, Anthony Bonvisi, his lifelong friend, celebrating the Goodness. The beauty of friendship.
S3: Doctor Stephen Smith with us. He is the Dean of Humanities, temple family chair of English Lit here at Hillsdale College. His new book is The Last Riddle on the letters from Saint Thomas More. The letters include these ones to his daughter you mentioned earlier it's a family story, too. They're very famous. In one of these letters, he cautions his daughter not to let natural affection override conscience. How does Moore himself balance love for his family with loyalty to what he believes is right? Is he could have he could avoid all this by taking the oath, right?
S4: He sure.
S3: Could. He sure could. So how does he how does he balance that?
S4: Yeah. I mean, that door, he he could have unlocked it from the inside and walked right out that door. Um, I think he sees his stand of conscience and his, um, stand of truth as being the best way he can love his family, even though it may have maybe a tough form of love. His wife really wanted him to come out of the tower to come to his senses. His daughter wanted him not to get himself executed. So it's it's a really painful in part story. And yet at the heart of it is this great kind of man of with great piece of soul fidelity to conscience and truth. What I would say is his consistency and his stand was the best way he could actually love them. Um, as difficult as it was for some of them to understand at the time.
S3: One of the recurring themes through the letters is that suffering can actually become spiritually meaningful. How does Moore try to teach that lesson to his daughter, Meg?
S4: Well, Moore had a lifelong devotion to the passion of the of the Christ. And. And so he understood his own suffering in the light of the cross. And he. And he tried to share that not only with Meg, but also with all of his friends outside of the tower. And he had many. If readers are interested in the full view of Thomas More on Suffering, the two other works he wrote in the tower are the Dialogue of Comfort against tribulation and the Sadness of Christ. And both of these, among other things, are a profound meditation on human suffering on the cross and on the goodness of of it ultimately. So, yes, more, more suffered. But he put his suffering to good service, to the service of his family, of his friends, of his God, of his country.
S3: Doctor Stephen Smith, with his book The Last Riddle Advice on Living and dying well from the imprisoned Saint Thomas More. These letters in the last riddle reveal any moments of doubt, fear or uncertainty. Uh, was more the real deal. Was he. Is he as steadfast as. Perhaps we. We imagine he was.
S4: Well, he had spent his entire life practicing the virtues that are exhibited in these letters, cultivating them, struggling. An ordinary human being, sharing human nature with all of us. But his was a lifelong project. You know, he didn't just appear in the Tower of London in April 1534, you know, ready to roll. He he had been living a particular way deliberately, courageously, day by day for an entire lifetime. When he came to the Tower of London. So part of the story of Maud, it's important to really understand is that is that lifelong, um, preparation and, um, even over the oath, you know, he didn't just sort of say, you know, one day I don't, I'm not going to take the oath. It, it was the fruit of much study, much deliberation, making himself sure. Uh, and then, you know, taking that, that stand of conscience and not budging from it. I mean, his peace of soul and his consistency are quite striking in these letters.
S3: Throughout the letters, friendship, friendship seems almost as important as politics or theology. Why was friendship so central to More's understanding of living a good life?
S4: Well, more, uh, was famous for being a friend, and he enjoyed the largest number of friendships of. Well, among many of the great folks I've studied. It's an incredibly rich life of friendship, right down to that last letter I mentioned. Second to last letter in the Tower of London. Erasmus, his moor's lifelong friend, said that if you were looking for a great example of true friendship, you can find it to no better purpose than in Thomas More. He loved friendship, Scott. He wrote poems on friendship. Friendship unites his writings from from beginning to end of his life. And so I think that he joins Cicero and Aristotle and Aquinas and Scripture in seeing the greatness of friendship and the need that we have for it. Also, ultimately understanding his relationship with God in terms of friendship as well.
S3: Moore spends a good deal of time thinking and writing about the thing you might think he'd be thinking and writing about, which is his death. What does he believe through these writings? A person should focus on one confronting mortality.
S4: Well, certainly it should be taken seriously, and human life should be seen with a reliable, true perspective in its entirety. And human beings, we tend to see things differently. We tend to put things out and push things out of view. So we need that, that full, real perspective. But I think in the, in the here and now, it's that focus on, um, living well now, uh, for the right reasons, with good conscience, with peace of soul, with real desire, with love, with faith. That is the best preparation. There's a prayer, Scott, that he wrote right toward the end. And it's within days of his death. And he and he concludes, the things that I pray for in this prayer, Lord, give me the grace to labor for. So even at the very end, with just hours to live, days to live, he Still had this present business, this present work to perform with God's grace, with God's help. And he put himself into that. And I think that was the, um, that living well, the best preparation. And one, one of the reasons for the subtitle of the book, Advice on Living and Dying well, is that when you read more, you discover in these letters and the prayers that they are just as much about living as they are about dying.
S3: Mhm.
S4: You know, we often tend to think, go right to the death part or to the dramatic decapitation. Um, but more returns our focus regularly, consistently to living well.
S3: Now I have to ask one other question about the the death. I think it's in your introduction that you explain after his decapitation, his daughter Meg retrieves his head after decapitation. I got to ask about was that normal practice? Was that unusual? What was the meaning? Why did you do it?
S4: Well, the heads of traders were not exactly treated gently. They were displayed as a warning. And then, you know, Saint John Fisher's head was just tossed into the river unceremoniously after this. So Meg, um, courageously found a way to retrieve the head. And that's why, to this day, you may visit Thomas Moore's head. It was eventually arrived in Canterbury at Saint Dunstan's and is buried there deep in the floor. So it was Meg Roper, his daughter Margaret, who retrieved the head and also played a vital role in these letters, surviving and in Moore's writings, eventually coming to print afterwards as well. I think that the Meg Roper story, that the other detail from her life that's worth remembering. You may have seen it in pictures or in art is that after her father was condemned at trial, she pushed her way through the guards and embraced him. It's a very famous scene. And then. And then she did it again. And with One Day to Live, when Moore writes his very last letter to her, he singles that out and he tells her, I never liked your manner better than when we parted last. You know, he ends with this beautiful like he said that, you know, that was virtue. And then he thanks her for everything she did for him while in the tower. So the more Meg relationship is really at the heart of the book as well.
S3: Doctor Stephen Smith with his book The Last Riddle on the writings of Saint Thomas Moore from prison at the very end, there's this section of prayers, and you say that this can be read as another kind of correspondence, a correspondence with God. What do we learn about Moore from the way he speaks to God?
S4: Yeah, I do. I do think that, you know, we have letters to family and friends. We have letters, um, also, um, in his lifetime to, to really just about everyone. But these last prayers are the same man's, you know, if you will, letters to, to God. And I think what, what we see there is the vitality of his relationship to God. We see his habit of prayer and his habit of approaching God as what he called a tender, loving father early in his life. That's another thing he never really moved from as a as a man and as a writer. Early on, he describes God as a tender, loving father. And these prayers at the end, uh, really bespeak that, you know, filial sense of, uh, of humanity and how we stand before God. One last thing I might add is one of the coolest things that I've ever experienced in my life involved going to Yale's Beinecke Library and holding the Prayer Book of Saint Thomas More in my own hands. We had Jerry Wegener and I put out the essential works of Thomas Moore with Yale in 2020, and I was able to visit Beinecke and see a bunch of their great Moore Holdings as part of that project. And the Prayer Book is famous because it has not only, um, a bunch of prayers in it, but it has Moore's handwritten on one of his great handwritten prayers in the margins and on top of the page. Bottom of page. Top of page. Bottom of page. And even though I have stood in the tower cell of Saint Thomas Moore in London, I never felt closer to him than when I held that prayer book in my hands. So the prayers are a beautiful and eloquent and unforgettable.
S3: Doctor Stephen Smith. We mentioned earlier that there is this eight part free video series over at Thomas more studies.org that you were involved with creating. What can people find there?
S4: Well, if you want to find out how much more there is to know about Thomas More, the video class begins at the beginning of his life and follows his footsteps from there all the way to the tower, and it focuses on his major writings and the major turning points of his life. It's meant to be an introduction to this, this great author, this great man, this great saint, and to show how much more there really is to Thomas more than most of us realize.
S3: Thomas. More studies.org for the video series. The book is available. The Last Riddle Advice on Living and Dying well from the imprisoned Saint Thomas More. Doctor Stephen Smith, your author, temple family chair of English literature here at Hillsdale College and also Dean of Humanities. Doctor Smith, thanks so much for joining us here on the Radio Free Hillsdale Hour.
S4: Thank you for the invitation, Scott.
S3: That will wrap up this edition of the Radio Free Hillsdale Hour. Our thanks to God, sod and Doctor Stephen Smith from Hillsdale College. Remember, you can hear new episodes every week on this station. You also can find extended versions of some of our interviews, or listen any time to the podcast. Find it@podcast.hillsdale.edu or wherever you get your audio. Until next week, I'm Scott Bertram, and this has been the radio free Hillsdale Hour.