S1: From the historic campus of Hillsdale College in Hillsdale, Michigan, where the good, the true and the beautiful are taught, nurtured and honored. This is the radio free Hillsdale Hour, bringing the activity and education of the college to listeners across the country.
S2: People called hospitals and said, hey, I'm looking for organs. Can I get them in two weeks? Absolutely. Can I get Falun Gong organs? Absolutely. Those those are the ones we have. Those are the best.
S3: This is your host, Scott Bertram. Welcome to the Radio Free Hillsdale Hour. Part of the Hillsdale College Podcast Network. That was Jan Yaklich. He's the author of Killed to Order China's Organ Harvesting Industry and the True Nature of America's Biggest Adversary. We'll talk about the evidence with Jan on today's program. Also later on, Kelli Scott Franklin from Hillsdale's English Department joins us to go in depth into another poem from Emily Dickinson. First, pleased to be joined right now by Jan Yaklich. He is the author of the book Kill to Order China's Organ Harvesting Industry and the True Nature of America's Biggest Adversary. He's also senior editor at The Epoch Times, host of American thought leaders as well. Jan, thanks so much for joining us.
S2: Scott. I'm thrilled to be here.
S3: This is a book that you could perhaps find in some sort of science fiction. You think it's not real, you think it can't be happening. And yet the data and information is is strong. This is about systemic forced organ harvesting in China. Why is this happening and how do we know it's happening?
S2: Excellent questions. Let me explain to you one example of what we discovered back in 2026. And I think that will kind of open up the the road, if you will, to answer both of your questions. Okay. So there was a Israeli transplant surgeon, actually, former head of the Israeli Transplant Association named Yaakov Levy. And he had to pay. He was a heart transplant surgeon. And he had a patient who one day had a really bad condition. And his patient told him, look, I'm tired of waiting. I might not make it. They've scheduled it for me in China in two weeks, and I'm going. And Jacob, he couldn't believe this. Right. And I'll explain to you in a moment, if it's not obvious why there's all these red flags going off in his head.
S3: Mhm.
S2: He just couldn't believe that this was possible. But the guy went and got it done and came back with his new heart. And that was one of the whistleblowers back in 2020, pardon me, 2006. That kind of I kind of say I was hit over the head by the evidence, if you will, because I had heard rumors that we knew that actually, that the Chinese Communist Party surgeons had killed people for organs before. But the idea that it was happening at a large scale in the sort of systematic, industrialized way was not something that I conceived or wanted to believe, if you will. Okay. So that that's a starting point.
S3: Can you juxtapose or contrast the way things work in an ethical society and ethical system with the way that things work in China?
S2: Absolutely. So here in the US, if you let's say I need a new heart. Someone has to have a catastrophic accident. And that accident is a very specific kind of accident. Because if the person loses all circulation, it's that catastrophic. Those organs degrade very quickly. You can't transplant from a heart from a person like that. So it has to be a very specific kind of accident. But on the flip side, you also don't want to transplant for someone who has a chance of making it right. And there's an ethics team that has to make that call. It's a tough call to make. And then on top of that, you also need to match for blood type and tissue type. And the reason for that is that our bodies reject foreign objects, including organs. So we try to approximate organs that are as close to us to maximize the likelihood that the organ will keep including, you know, of course, this is including the anti-rejection drugs and everything else. And size also matters. Size is something. That's my point here, is that it's very rare actually, to get the right heart for a person. And so this catastrophic accident happens, this donor appears, and there's this field of people that are waiting for that heart, and there's an algorithm that decides who gets the top of the line, right? Based on availability, based on how long they've been waiting there need all that kind of stuff. That's a normal system. Okay. And the Chinese system under the Communist Party is the exact reverse. And let me explain why. There's a little bit of a background. And this is something actually that I know has been discussed at Hillsdale to some extent. So I'm very happy, happy to say that in Communist China, they have this long history of creating class enemies, what they call black classes. And so the first one was, let's call them landowners, okay, the revolution happens. It's 1949. The Communist Party says, hey, we don't do private property. We're going to take that land. Okay. Except that there's all these people that have worked hard for their land or inherited it, and they have friends and they're not going to go easily, right? Obviously. So what they did was they they figured out a way. And this is every totalitarian system seems to do this very effectively. They seize the means of dissemination of information, i.e. the media and so forth. And then they use that to push mass dehumanizing propaganda into the system about the group. So for example, um, you know, for the landowners. Landowning is evil. These landowners themselves are evil. They're contemptible. You should fear them. They're dangerous. Actually, they took that land from you. You should get it back. You know you deserve it. So we're going to help. ET cetera, et cetera. ET cetera. And that conditions what that does is when it's done en masse, you know, again and again it conditions our minds. And some people are more susceptible, some are less to this, to basically bad things being done to this group of people. Okay. Now there is kind of a way out usually, and the way out is if the landowner says, Great Communist Party, thank you for emancipating me from the land. Thank you. I thought land ownership was reasonable. Now I know I'm wrong. And anyway, if they do this, become contrite, you know, basically subjugate themselves to the will of the party. They might live otherwise. You know, a lot of a lot of people were killed. And actually there has been many, many of these class enemies, black classes that have been created by the regime over the years. Part of the reason is also to show the rest of the population what will happen if you go against the regime. It's like an education tool or something. So so this is an important piece of this puzzle because in 1999 the a group became black classed, if you will, and that was Falun Gong practitioners. And Falun Gong is a very unusual system. It's a you can think of it like a slow motion exercise system, like a Chinese yoga, but also with very deep moral principles, truthfulness, compassion and tolerance. People that did this and it took it very seriously. And it's not like a typical what you would think of as an organization. So there's a lot of teachings, but what there aren't is a lot of rules. The rules might be there's no collection of money around it. You're not allowed to enrich yourself from it. There's actually no hierarchy in it. There's no there's a the Li Hongzhi, the man who wrote the teachings, right? Like you could call him the founder or the teacher, but there's no worship or something like that. And also, there's not even a roster. You don't join a group. You're kind of living the teachings is what makes you a practitioner. People shared it by word of mouth, and by the end of the 90s, it was 100 million people were doing it, 70 to 100 million by government estimate. And so this was bigger than the Communist Party. And communist parties don't like something that's bigger than them in society that they don't have explicit control over. Right. And with Falun Gong, there really is no way to control a whole fleet of individual practitioners. And what they discovered that. So Jiang Zemin, the dictator at the time, basically blocked, classed them, pushed this mass dehumanizing propaganda through the system. But the Falun Gong kind of as the first black class that did this really at some significant scale. They refused to do the contrite thing. They refused to be re-educated or, you know, you know, really he used the term eradicated. But that didn't mean kill everybody. It meant break them, get rid of this whole thing. Right. But people wouldn't do it. They wouldn't. And sometimes you'll even see in capitals around the world, in DC and other places, you'll see people with yellow shirts that says Falun Dafa is good. It's another name for Falun Gong. Those. That was kind of the slogan that the film Gong practitioners created, really in juxtaposition to this dehumanizing propaganda that they were facing. They were like, no, Falun Dafa is good, Falun Gong is good. It's not all the things that you're saying it is. Right. So what? Why is this important? Okay, because this is what this unique situation in Chinese history sets up the killed to order forced organ harvesting industry. Because you have this mass group of people, 7000 million, they're dehumanized in the eyes of their peers. So people are being conditioned against them. And now the regime not knowing what to do, these people are not going easily. It incarcerates a million of them. We don't know how many actually, but hundreds of thousands. The State Department in 2005 said half of the people in the re-education through labor camp system in China were Falun Gong practitioners. So just like it's like massive amounts of gong practitioners in the system. And this is where some very evil person and I kind of hypothesize about who this is in the book and how this developed. Exactly. We don't know for sure. But he they started blood typing. Tissue typing and organ scanning. These people on mass incarcerated in the system and creating a database. Right. So now let's say I'm a wealthy transplant tourist. And unfortunately people have done this in some scale. I need my new heart. I'm desperate. I pay my 100 or 200 grand, which is the going rate. And now there's a database, right? And because there's so many people in the database, that perfect match for me already exists. And that person can be shipped and killed to order so that I can live. So in this situation, there's one recipient. This is how it's the exact reverse of an ethical system. But there's this whole field of so-called donors, actually innocent prisoners of conscience to be used for as this unwilling organ bank for for for profit and frankly, for the longevity of the super elites in China.
S3: Yeah. How widespread is this in China? How many transplants are we talking over the course of a year? How many people are killed over the course of a year in China?
S2: So the rough estimate and this is very rough because remember this is all a state secret, right? Right. But there was this massive growth of hospitals, right. The Falun Gong persecution begins. They incarcerate massive amounts of people. And suddenly the organ industry just just starts to skyrocket. They're building hundreds of hospitals. Okay, hundreds. And so in each of those hospitals is going to be doing some basic, at least a little amount of work because it's a lot of it's a lot of work to set up a transplant team. So if you assume the most sort of cautious estimates and you just say this giant transplant team is just doing one transplant today. Reality is they'll be doing more. But let's say you were just so that would you would get about 60,000 transplants per year. More realistic would be 90,000 100,000, something like that. Ethan Gutmann testified about this in Congress, I think in 2016 about that, that estimate. So it's a very large number of transplants. That's not people. That's transplants. Right. So with the advent of technologies like ECMO, which is a machine that replaces heart and lungs and allows circulation, they one of the pieces of evidence we collected was that when those portable ECMO machines came online, what happened was that these transplant hospitals started buying them like hotcakes because, you know, in, in a it's a life saving device here in America, right? It allows you to, to fix heart and lungs situations, kind of bypassing them in a case of severe trauma in China. They use them as a as a profusion device to keep the body healthy so more organs can be transplanted out of a body. This is this is the scale we're talking about.
S3: John is with us here on the program. His book is called To Order. We'll continue with him in a moment. First, I want to remind you about the new Hillsdale College online course, The Odyssey. You might have heard Doctor Ben Whalen, your teacher for this course, on an earlier episode, and maybe since then have seen the new film. Well, now it's time to take the online course. hillsdale.edu/course, hillsdale.edu/course. The Odyssey contains themes about love and marriage and fatherhood and kingship and duty. Homer touches on the full experience of humanity in this great epic poem you can learn and appreciate so much more with Hillsdale new online course The Odyssey. Find it at hillsdale.edu/new course, NEWCOURSE. hillsdale.edu slash. New course for the Odyssey, we continue with Jan Jekielek. He's the author of Killed to Order China's Organ Harvesting Industry and the True Nature of America's Biggest Adversary. A somewhat uncomfortable conversation about forced organ harvesting under the Chinese regime. Jan, something I noticed when reading Jan is that we hear stories occasionally people going to foreign countries for surgeries, and sometimes the results aren't great doesn't work out well. There are infections, right? You get a chop job. That doesn't seem to be the case here at all in China, meaning this is a very efficient and very successful process that they've put together in this organ transplant, this forced organ transplant system.
S2: Well, the set of C, the set of incentives is different, right? So I've actually been just learning more about this. And you're sort of run of the mill, pretty horrible cartel transplant deal. Right. Which of course those exist as well. It's kind of like any organ into any body because, you know, you make the deal, you're desperate. Someone says a cartel can broker it. You're, you know, you obviously know that this organ is coming from illicit sources. And then, you know, if it fails, which it often does, what's your recourse? You're going to complain to the cartel that it didn't work out, right? Right. That doesn't even make sense. Right. So that's kind of how it works there. But here we have something where the Chinese do you remember there was this hot mic moment back in September of last year? Yes. XI Jinping, Vladimir Putin, Kim Jong un, they're watching the parade in Tiananmen Square. And so this I'll just paraphrase what they said, right? Because it reveals, you know, why this system works so well, so to speak. So she says to Putin, hey, when we're 70, we're just babies. I'm paraphrasing here, okay? And Putin responds, you know, with continual organ transplantation, perhaps we can achieve immortality with continual organ transplantation. Perhaps we can achieve immortality, continual organ transplantation. Right. And then she responds, our targets 150 years, we hope we can reach 150 years. And that's actually 150 years is the target of their elite longevity project. It's called project 981, they claim. And you always have to take every Chinese statistic with a massive grain of salt that has a political valence. First, the reality valence is not even second. Right. But but I think directionally I'm I'm sure it is correct. They say 16 years more life for people that are part of the Elite longevity project. And yeah, so if you're a Chinese super elite, you have unlimited on demand organs available to you in perpetuity, right? Basically forever. And that's, you know, people ask me, how much money do we estimate? It's about a $9 billion annual industry right across these hospitals in China. But this this is like a whole different level of value, right? If you have no moral boundary and you're ready to have people killed for organs, um, of course, you also want it to work very well. And then, you know, you're going to get in bed with other people who share your lack of morals. Um, because they want that longevity too. There was even this, um, there's an obituary that was sent to me a few years ago. It was kind of creepy and weird, but basically in the obituary, the author writes about the person that passed who was a, I think it was a vice minister, a very high level official in the Chinese Communist Party. And he had been he was known to talk about how many organs he had had transplanted. And this actually made it into the obituary unbelievably right. Like, I just didn't even know what to make of it then, now I do.
S3: John, when we look at, uh, at this system, something you point out throughout the book is, uh, it's very secretive. Uh, and it's hard to know a lot about it because the victims here of the systemic forced organ harvesting, they don't survive. There is a whistleblower in the book. And there's also one person who did survive, and there's some, some stories from from him. How do we know what we know? Or at least how do we know what we think we know about this Chinese system?
S2: So there's, you know, as David Matas, who's I think, one of the heroes of the research of this whole thing, he just says, you know, our problem is not too little evidence, but too much evidence. He likes to say that it's true. We have really a great amount of evidence of a variety of sorts. I mean, in the early years, one of the problems is that the moment that you reveal some of the evidence, you reveal how you collected it, and then they would close that way of gathering the evidence, if you will. Right. So in the early years, there were hospitals that advertised online that said, here's the price list and you can get it in two weeks. If you can imagine that we actually we archived some of these, thank goodness, because as soon as we started reporting on this, they those ads disappeared. Okay. People called hospitals and said, hey, I'm looking for organs. Can I get them in two weeks? Absolutely. Can I get Falun Gong organs? Absolutely. Those those are the ones we have. Those are the best. It was Falun Gong were known to be unusually healthy, by the way. That's part of the sort of weird allure or whatever. Right. And by the way, I just there's something else I want to mention. Right. No one really did anything about this for 15 or 16 years. Right? This is in the we believe it started around 2000. The Falun Gong are persecuted in 99. It's starting. It's really grows like super quick. Up until 2005 2006. And then it plateaus for a bit and keeps growing. Okay. But in 2015 and 2016, the Chinese Communist Party picks another group, adds another group. In the northwest of China, there's a group called the Uyghur Muslims. It's an ethnic minority in China. It's a strategically important area. The US official position on what the CCP is doing up there is genocide, that they're eradicating this entire group of people. And so what they did up there is they dehumanized them with similar rhetoric, again, as they always do, incarcerated a million plus. But then they went further because the whole area is run like a police state. Basically, they started blood typing and tissue typing people in their homes. Right? Basically, blood and DNA is enough to do the matching. And that's what they've done through almost the whole population up there, from what I'm told. So it's a very dark thing and it's also geographically isolated. So it's easier for that deniability aspect, right? Because again, no one wants to advertise that, that they want to advertise that you can get organs quickly to the right people. They don't want to advertise how those organs are procured.
S3: John is with us killed to order is his book China's Organ Harvesting Industry and the True Nature of America's Biggest Adversary. You point out that the system makes everyone complicit in these crimes. That includes people inside China, but also outside of China. And and in some ways, the United States being complicit. Why hasn't why haven't we done more about this? Why hasn't the rest of the world done more about this? And I was trying to sort of manipulated us, perhaps to make us complicit in their activities.
S2: So it's it's very interesting. Like, I'll share a little bit about how this complicity works, right? But let's just super briefly internally, right as an example, right. You get called in to buy one of the, you know, MSS Ministry of State security people and you're told, okay, well, comrade, I'd like to know what your wife did last night. She didn't come home on time. I was like, oh, you're creeped out. They're watching you. You kind of know they're watching you. It's kind of how the system works. But you're like, you know, you can't really say no to those people. Actually, my mother faced this sort of thing in Poland. And see, what she said was, I'm not really made out to, to say any. I'm not really made out to do this kind of thing. That's, that's you could say that because it's like directly going against these guys wasn't a good idea. This is what I've been told. Right. So anyway, so they, they, they let her go. But she lost her travel rights. She just she was revealed she wasn't like this big activist, but she was revealed as someone that was not on the regime's side. Right. But what they could do in that situation. Very often do that. If my mother had had a kid, she if she was, you know, if she was married and if we had this situation that I described, the next thing the guy would say is like, well, actually, my compatriot is over there with your daughter at her school, just making sure that she's safe. Are you sure you don't want to tell us what your wife was up to last night? Right? And at that moment, you have to make the decision. What do I do? Right. And so you probably say where your wife was because you think, well, I got to protect my daughter. They're going to do something to my daughter, right? And now first, you know, you were forced into this. You didn't ever want it to make this decision, but you are now morally compromised because you had to do something immoral. And they work at you this way in small ways to make these. And this is, you know, um, one word of truth is worth more than the world. I'm kind of butchering a soldier line here a little bit, but this is the reason because it just becomes, you know, just you're, you're constantly having to lie to survive. You lie more, but kind of breaking out of that is very powerful and very empowering. Right? In the system. So that's one way that people get complicit. And if you're an American working in China, you have to kind of participate that in inadvertently, you have to participate kind of in the lie, if you will, you're forced to bribe people and so forth.
S3: John, that's a great explanation about how some of the internal complicity occurs. What about the the external complicity? How does China force coerce those outside the country to acquiesce to what they're doing?
S2: It's just simply the moment that you start having a financial relationship, right? A regular financial relationship with someone on the other side. This is the I had a whole kind of class of people that were. You could think of it as the wooers of the barbarians. They viewed, you know, the name for the for the Westerners and and actually Jiang Zemin, who started the Falun Gong persecution that he that was his job. He was an expert at this. This as on his rise to the top of the Chinese Communist Party, he actually had that deep relationship with Senator Dianne Feinstein long before he wrote all the way to the top. And, um, yeah, so, so you this financial relationship is built and what what you say, if you're one of these wooers, so to speak, is you're like, well, look at this great relationship that we've created, right? We're, we're changing China. You and I are making, you know, big change in China. We're of course, doing very well financially alongside that. But then there's those hardliners, those bad guys that want things to do it the old way. Right? And so now, okay, so let me tell you, since we're friends, here's what you shouldn't do. Don't say anything bad about it. Don't talk about human rights. Um, you know, we'll have to we'll have to transfer some technology here to placate them. But we're making a difference. We're working together to change China. This is this was like the standard line. So many people, a lot of and frankly, a lot of people believed it even. Right. Because well, first of all, it's, you know, there's this famous Upton Sinclair quote where he says, you know, it's, uh, it's hard for someone to notice something if they're financially incentivized to not notice it.
S3: Jan, how far does the complicity go? How deep are we involved in this morass, so to speak?
S2: Like we've trained some of those surgeons in China, those those Chinese surgeons come to America and get trained and then go do kill to order forced organ harvesting, which is, you know, as far as we know, that by vast, vast, a vast amount, the major way it's done over there, there may be some legitimate transplantation, but it's sort of hidden amidst this system. Remember, the incentive structures are really terrible against creating a, an ethical system like I described earlier, because it's complicated, right? It's incredibly complicated to have a system like that. And you have to find the right people and match them here. You've got the matches, you've just got them incarcerated, and you don't even think of them as being particularly useful human beings at all. So it's like a bank. Organ bank, right? It's really messy. We we have partnerships with universities. We have partnerships with hospitals. We have NIH funding for some of these institutions. We provide some of the technologies, like I mentioned, ECMO and other things that actually, you know, there's a company that provided the technology to do that DNA matching up in Xinjiang. I mean, it just sort of goes on and on and on. And so let's say you're one of these people that really doesn't believe that America should be worried about anything outside of America. We have enough problems here, sir. You know, like, like, I'm, I, I personally believe that when it comes to these kinds of atrocities, you know, that you saw how it spread from the Falun Gong to the Uyghurs. I'm even seeing this really significant uptick in dehumanizing rhetoric against Christians right now in China. And, you know, my friend Bob Fu, who runs China Aid, agrees with me. That's that's a non-profit ministry that basically supports persecuted Chinese Christians. And so what does that mean? I don't know for sure, but I do know that this dehumanizing rhetoric precedes, you know, being added to the to the databases. Right?
S3: Right.
S2: So that concerns me quite a bit. And, and it's just this is with these atrocities, they always hurt. But let's say you're one of these people that says, you know what? Let's focus on America. At the very least, we shouldn't be complicit in this. You know, we can stop those all those channels by which we're kind of helping it all function and work like that. There is, you know, the International Society of Heart and Lung Transplantation. They've cut off the Chinese, Chinese Communist Party and all of their any basically institution in China. They will not accept any papers related to transplantation because they see this as real. So some people are starting to take a position here. There's legislation in the Senate right now that has just come out of committee. Hopefully will be voted on soon. The Falun Gong and victims of Forced Organ Harvesting Protection Act. Maybe we'll see some traction there. And that's something also that will sanction some of these people, establish in law that this is real. Get reporting on it. There's another piece of legislation in the House as well, a stop forced organ Harvesting act. That's it's a very powerful piece of legislation. So there's there is movement on this. Okay. But we still there's wild amounts of things we should do, I think.
S3: Yeah. John is with us. His book is called To Order. Throughout the book, there are reminders about the brutal nature of China and the communist regime. You say that there's no such thing as a civil society under totalitarianism. We have to remember that this forced organ harvesting is a logical outcome of a system that sustains itself through any means to serve the party's ends. Do we have a fundamental misunderstanding about the threat posed by China?
S2: So let me touch on this. I'm so glad that you picked up this piece about how they destroy all civil society. This is like a really something we really fundamentally misunderstood. So, you know, the thing that de Tocqueville noted as he was watching this emergent America and writing about it, right? The thing that captured his imagination and he was incredibly passionate about it was that Americans would see an issue and get together spontaneously to fix that thing, or work on it or build it and create institutions around that. And he thought that this is amazing, that they do this in a way that no one else does. And this is going to make them very successful. Okay. That's civil society, right? In communist and communist regimes, they have, or in Communist China, they have a department. You know, if it was in the UK, it would be a ministry, right? But a department called the United Front Work Department, whose express purpose. Right. It exists. It's one of the top most funded by the way of these of the departments to destroy or subvert civil society so they can either put the Chinese Communist Party figurehead into it and run it, in effect that way, destroying it. Right. It stops being civil society, obviously, if it's controlled by the regime, right. Or if they if it won't, then they destroy it. That's what that does. And that and this is they do that both inside China and outside these Chinese police stations. You hear about. Right? In America, that's the united front work. That's basically the way that the Chinese Communist Party does that with similar institutions in America. Right, which are ostensibly in that way controls the voice of the Chinese people. So, you know, you're thinking you're dealing with civil society organizations in Chinatown, you're actually dealing with the regime. right? So of course, not all of them have been subverted overseas. They don't have that kind of power to do that. But internally they have. So externally it's just a lot of them.
S3: Yeah.
S2: And I just I think we this is just one example of something we don't understand. Like we've only really been starting to grasp that recently.
S3: Jan Yelich is the author of Kill to Order China's Organ Harvesting Industry and the True Nature of America's Biggest Adversary. Also senior editor at The Epoch Times and host of American Thought Leaders. I enjoy when the author does some of my work for me, because in the back of Kill to Order, there's an appendix with questions and answers to those who still might be somewhat skeptical or have additional queries about what's been laid out in the book. It is hard to believe it's so extreme. It's hard to believe, as you put in the book, but the evidence is is out there. Jan, thanks so much for joining us here on the Radio Free Hillsdale Hour.
S2: Scott, thank you so much. And kill to order.com. If you're interested in the book, that's the Amazon short link to the Amazon link to order.com. And at the end, there's actually an email. I don't know if you may have noticed that as well, but it's an email that it's only for people who have read the book. It's a very special one. I get really amazing letters from people and I try to respond to all of them. So I would encourage you, if you do read the book to to use that email.
S3: Wonderful. Kill to order.com for the direct link there. John, thanks so much.
S4: Thank you.
S3: Up next, Doctor Kelly Scott Franklin from Hillsdale's English Department joins us. We'll go inside another poem from Emily Dickinson. I'm Scott Bertram, this is the radio free Hillsdale Hour. We're back on the radio free Hillsdale Hour. I'm Scott Bertram. Be sure to check out more audio from Hillsdale College on Hillsdale College Podcast Network, podcast.hillsdale.edu, or wherever you get your audio. We're joined by Doctor Kelly Scott Franklin, associate professor of English at Hillsdale College. Doctor Franklin, thanks for joining us.
S5: Thank you for having me.
S3: Continuing our brief walk through a few of Emily Dickinson's poems. And this time we will talk about Tell All the Truth but tell it slant. And we begin with a reading Doctor Franklin.
S5: All right. Tell all the truth, but tell it. Slant by Emily Dickinson. Tell all the truth, but tell it slant. Success in circuit lies too bright for our infirm delight. The truth. Superb surprise. As lightning to the children eased with explanation. Kind. The truth must dazzle gradually. Or every man be blind.
S3: Tell the truth, but tell it slant. If someone hears this for the first time, what's her central piece of advice? What does it mean to tell the truth but tell it slant?
S5: Yes, that people have. We've puzzled over this one for for many years. It's it's a clear command. It's a very assertive opening line. We are, to tell all the truth, leaving nothing out. But she wants it told slant wise. She wants it told. And as you see in the second line, right. Success in circuit lies. And I think for starters, I like to contrast like telling something directly or telling something straight with telling it in circuit that is going around the thing almost like a roundabout, right? You're going across, you're going to go straight or you're going to go through the roundabout. I, I can never figure out roundabouts.
S3: Roundabouts.
S5: But if you go around an object, you see more of it than if you face it head on. And so on the one hand, it could sound like she's saying, well, soften the truth or, um, and I do think there's something about, you know, having to deliver the truth in a way that's received. Right. But I like to think that she's imagining the telling of it slant as actually a way to, number one, to actually bridge the gap between the truth and us, but then perhaps even to show something more about the thing to, to reveal more about it. Too bright for our infirm delight. The truth. Superb surprise. We we're we're going to be kind of shocked or startled by the truth. And so you need that, you know, and in the discipline of rhetoric, they think about this, right? How do we communicate the truth? Or how do we persuade. But it has to be adapted to your audience, right? It has to be suited to who you're speaking to. So I think that's kind of the starting point for for Dickinson.
S3: It's a short poem. Um, I want to focus on this comparison to lightning that she talks about lightning, Something powerful, potentially dangerous, unpredictable. Also temporary, though lightning is gone in a flash, quite literally. So what is that image? Why that image? What do you think she's suggesting about how humans can experience truth?
S5: Yeah, I, so I think she the word for me, one of the key words there in that third line is, is infirm. The truth is too bright for our infirm delight. That is, our capacity to receive truth is limited. Mhm. Dante talks about this in Purgatorio. The pilgrim is he sees an angel, an unfallen angel for the first time, and he's completely blinded by it. So that kind of, uh, the poet's job, it seems, or the teacher's job or whoever it is that's going to take these words, it has to adapt the truth because there's something something wrong with us, right? My eyesight isn't great yet. And so truth has to. It will will blind me, as she says at the very end. And lightning is interesting because she actually uses a simile in that second stanza. And I like to think I like to think that for. For Dickinson, telling the truth slant is using metaphor that I think that's what she's getting at is. And in the second stanza, we get a metaphor as lightning. She's going to give us a simile. Uh, I know this is a hot take for all you English teachers out there and grammarians, but I, I think similarly and metaphor are the same thing. I'm just going to I'm going to take a stand right now. They're not different. You use like or as for simile, but it's the same thing. So she says she's using a metaphor as lightning to the children eased with explanation, kind. So she says, this is how. An example of how you might do it or understand it this way. And children are scared of lightning. They're terrified by it. They might not understand it, but you might give them an explanation kind. And one of my students who wrote her thesis on Emily Dickinson, she proposed, maybe this is like you tell them a story or a myth or, or you say like, oh, they're having an argument. The thunderclouds are knocking into each other, or it's God bowling or something. Like whatever your kind of analogy or metaphor is to help them understand it. And there's a kindness there. And, and metaphor, if it's going to give us success, it needs to, to, to really reveal and not obscure. It's going to, it's going to ease the truth to us because of our infirmity, because of our weakness. But it is going to deliver something of the truth. So there's, there's a statement there about what metaphor does. And poetry, which is full of metaphor, is still, I think, ridiculously going to tell us the truth.
S3: Mhm. And she says the truth must dazzle gradually, which is similar to what you're talking about here. Yeah, maybe little portions as opposed to everything at once.
S5: Absolutely. And we I mean, we've experienced this ourselves in education. You gradually learn more and more about the world. You might learn more and more about history. I think God reveals to us slowly ourselves so it doesn't shock us with our. He doesn't shock us all at once with our. All of our failures. You sort of like reveal. Okay, here's some weaknesses you have, right? There's this revelation of truth because we're weak and we need to receive it. Uh, we need to receive it gradually. And there's a marvelous, uh, just the sounds there of that poem dazzle gradually. And it's because otherwise we'll be will be blind. And on the one hand, you can say, well, that means that the truth is going to be too shocking, but it could also just mean I won't see the truth unless someone bridges that gap. I won't even be able to see it unless you can help me to see it.
S3: Talking with Doctor Kelly, Scott Franklin, associate professor of English at Hillsdale College, about Emily Dickinson's poem Tell All the Truth, but tell it slant. This is a very short, tightly structured poem. How does that economy of language perhaps reinforce her argument about the truth.
S5: That's a good question. And Dickinson, some of her poems are really tight, really. And she would even write like on scraps of paper sometimes. So we'll have like the corner of an envelope flap. And so it fits into the angle. Or you were a doodler. Yeah. She would use any scrap of paper she had sometimes. So she.
S3: I read a John Adams the same, the same thing. Paper was so expensive in Adams time that when they went through all his artifacts, they found scraps and corners, and he'd write the tiniest print to fit what he was trying to say in that little piece of paper.
S5: Amazing. Much to the chagrin of of historians and biographers. Right? Yeah. So Dickinson's used to working, you know, in those even physically cramped spaces of a little corner of an envelope. But I think maybe saying too much about it would kind of blunt the vision of the poem we have. We have this opening statement that she unpacks for us. And then the second stanza begins with a metaphor, really the one metaphor of the poem. And. And then she leaves it to us. But yeah, it she doesn't spend. She's, she's so concise. She doesn't spend a lot of time unpacking that. The truth. She leaves it. Maybe there's something mysterious still left over in the poem.
S3: It sounds the poem sounds almost like a proverb or a set of instructions. Is that typical for for Dickinson's work?
S5: It's one of her modes. Yeah. She doesn't. It's not every poem, but I. I really have noticed that she'll begin. She has, you know, a poem that she'll have a poem that just begins with that aphorism or that kind of received wisdom. And sometimes the poem unpacks it and says like, okay, here's what this means, or here's how this would work out in a life. Other times, she obliterates it. One of my favorite poems is, um, she. The opening line is they say that time assuages, you know, it's like everybody says, well, you know, time heals all ills, right? They say that time Assuages time never did assuage like she just immediately contradicts it. So Dickinson will take those received wisdoms, sometimes explode them, sometimes unpack them. This is one of the unpacking ones. She she wants to give us a kind of injunction for how to speak, write, teach, and then gives us an example. Uh, in in what follows.
S3: This poem can feel especially relevant today. There's a lot of talk about honesty and truth, bluntness, and there's that phrase that seeps into place. Oh, it's my truth. How might Dickinson speak to some of these modern debates?
S5: Yeah, the opening line tell all the truth. I think Dickinson is well aware of of the subjective experience of reality. And she validates that like when we experience reality, it's in some ways it's a is a truly unique experience, but I think there's no doubt in Dickinsons mind that there is the truth. And she just. And she, along with Emerson and some of these other 19th century writers, Melville. They're aware that the truth might be cosmic. It might be God. And so what I like to think about is I like to think about that moment in Exodus chapter 33 when God says to Moses, I'm going to Moses says, show me your glory. And God says, well, I'm going to go hide in behind this rock, and then I'm going to pass by. And when I've passed by, then you can look at my back and whatever that means, looking at the back of God. Well, when Moses has these encounters with God, he comes down. He comes out like glowing, right? So, you know, it's like in Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark, you're going to open up the ark and then your face is going to get melted off you. I think Dickinson's aware, like Emerson, like Melville, that the truth capital T is real, but it's like the Old Testament writers, you know, thinking about the tabernacle and the Holy of Holies. God and the truth are overwhelming. Yeah. Eternal cosmic. And so I think she's thinking about that. But then knowing that even as weak and frail human beings, we're still called to have some kind of access to that. But it needs to be mediated. It needs to be kind of bridged. I like to think about the myth of Zeus and Semele. Zeus took a mortal woman as his lover, and then someone who was jealous said, well, you should ask him to reveal himself in all his glory. And then, of course, she's incinerated. Right. And that that model, I think, is, is the kind of a way to understand what Dickinson's thinking about the truth, capital t God, the nature of things might be too much for us. Has to be has to be bridged to us, has to be mediated in some way or will be overwhelmed by it will be blind.
S3: Doctor Kelly Scott Franklin, associate professor of English at Hillsdale College. As we talk about the Emily Dickinson poem, Tell all the truth but tell it slant. Doctor Franklin, thanks for joining us here on the Radio Free Hillsdale Hour.
S5: Thanks for having me.
S3: That will wrap up this edition of the Radio Free Hillsdale Hour. Our thanks to Janice. His book is called to order and Kelly Scott Franklin from Hillsdale English Department. Remember, you can hear new episodes every week on this station. You also can find extended versions of some of our interviews, or listen any time to the podcast. Find it@podcasts.hillsdale.edu or wherever you get your audio. Until next week, I'm Scott Bertram, and this has been the radio free Hillsdale Hour.