S1: Every week. Hillsdale College President Larry Arnn joins Hugh Hewitt to discuss great books, great men, and great ideas. This is Hillsdale Dialogues, part of the Hillsdale College Podcast Network. More episodes@podcast.hillsdale.edu or wherever you find your audio.
S2: Morning glory and evening Grace America. I'm Hugh Hewitt. That music means the Hillsdale Dialogue has arrived, the last broadcast hour of the week on the Salem News Channel and the Hugh Hewitt Show on the Salem Radio Network, all of our wonderful affiliates. And I'm back with Doctor Larry Arnn. Doctor Matt Spalding sat in for him last week as they got ready for commencement, which is this week. So it's a busy week in Hillsdale commencement week. Uh, are you, uh, preparing to process Doctor Arnn?
S3: Yeah. It's a big deal. Commencement is beautiful and exciting and emotional and, uh, controversial. College is kind of famous, and we probably have protesters. We get them sometimes. But yeah, it's a lovely day. And the weather is promising.
S2: The blue robe with the black stripes. There are all sorts of different beautiful robes based upon the degree and where you got it from. What do you have?
S3: Mhm. I have a blue robe with four black stripes. And only the Prez gets four. Oh, you get one for each. You get one for each degree you hold, and then you get a fourth one if you're the boss.
S2: Oh, that's. I'm envious of that. Four black stripes. It's like. Like command sergeant major of the Army. All right. I want to waste time on our. We taped this earlier in the week because you're actually processing at the end of the week. So we don't know if Iran has been blown up more when we're sitting down to talk about this. We'll get to that in a moment. But we do know, hopefully the president hasn't been shot at again. President Trump, since last we spoke, was the object of the attempted fourth time since he began running for president. Of an assassin to remind people um of the they they know the three the guy in the tree in Florida, they know Butler. They probably do not know that on February 22nd of this year, Austin Martin was a 21 year old from North Carolina who was shot and killed trying to break into Mar a Lago with a shotgun and a knife. And then, of course, number four, white House Correspondents Dinner two weeks ago. Are we back in the SDS? 60s doctor earn.
S3: A lot of violence. Um, uh, it, you know, so the population is, you know, what is it? It's 40, 30, 40% bigger than it was in the 60s. And the assassination attempts are a multiple of what they were in the 60s. So yeah, I don't know, something's going on here. Um, And it's a sign. You know, they there were many plots to kill Abe Lincoln, and one of them succeeded. And what was that about? That was about, uh, fundamental difference about the meaning of the country and how it should be governed. And we have those today, too. And it generates a lot of heat. And also, there's a fair amount of craziness in the population right now. If you just look at, you know, I deal with 18 to 21 year olds, uh, when they were in high school, they were deprived of going to school for two years and most parts of the country. And what they noticed was that none of their friends died. And so what was this all about? And the highest authorities in the land and the leading experts in the world were telling them, you got to stay home, you're going to die. And they didn't. And so I think that that prepares them to believe conspiracy theories while they're too young to to turn to believe, to find out which ones are true. I myself believe in conspiracy theories, and they're documented. But, um, you have to get a bit older to figure out which is which. Well, John Wilkes.
S2: Booth was himself part of a conspiracy. A conspiracy that almost killed attorney, the secretary of State, Seward, on the same night. I think they may have been going for Grant as well, but it was a screwed up 1865 conspiracy. Uh, I do believe we've gone to the moon. I hope you're with me on that one, doctor, but I've been saying. Yeah, I've been saying if you swim in sewage.
S3: I'm not sure. It's not a phony that we went around it the other day.
S2: Come on. We know the Artemis guys. Um, the, uh, adage I've come up with is if you swim in sewage, you're going to get sick. And a lot of the lunatics of the left and the right are living 24 over seven, 7365 in Reddit threads that you and I don't go to. Among weird people that we couldn't have talked to when we were their age. How do you counsel your students at Hillsdale not to do that to, to stay attached to the actual reality of books and classics?
S3: Well, they, they, you know, life growing up is a process of learning to be a serious person. And so in a really great meeting, we had one night, an extra meeting where we invited a bunch of boys. And, you know, at Hillsdale, we know what everybody thinks and everybody knows what we think. Everybody knows what everybody else thinks. And some of them were, you know, listening to Tucker and stuff and getting ideas. And we find out about that. And so we invited him to a meeting and we talked for like four hours. And we talked about specifics. We talked about, uh, and, you know, it was fun, right? And I told him, I said, I don't care what you think about these issues. You're too young to have a serious opinion about them. Uh, you got to learn. I said, but what I want you to know is the difference between a serious opinion and something you listen to on YouTube. And, you know, we talked about the founding of modern Israel. I have to know quite a lot about that. I helped Martin Gilbert write books about that. And you can say that's illegitimate if you want to, but if you do, then you're stuck because Saudi Arabia and Iraq and Kuwait and Jordan and the Lebanon and Syria all come from the same set of facts. And they were all founded in roughly the same way, carved out of the Ottoman Empire, which joined the wrong side in the First World War. And the promises that were made to the Arabs and to the Jews were made at the same time, roughly, and for the same service. If you will fight for us, we will give you countries and the Arabs got a whole bunch of countries and Israel got one, but they got all got them the same way. Well, I pointed that out. And you know, it's just true. You just read Martin Gilbert, you'll see. And, uh, and then, you know, what is Judaism? You know, questions like that. And one of the points that I made was, and see, this is friendly, right? They're not, they're not, we're not at war at Hillsdale College. Uh, I said, if you write a paper for me or for Professor Gerkey sitting over here, uh, he was young man. He's a graduate who teaches history. You will probably take it seriously. You probably try to find out what the truth is to write in your paper. You should remember that. That's how you find out. That's. You know, what you hear on YouTube may or may not be true. And especially when you're young and you don't have all the critical faculties fully developed yet, you should be skeptical and you should go look it up. And, you know, you could, you know, I remember one time were.
S2: These primarily fourth year students or were they freshmen?
S3: Uh, they were mostly freshmen and sophomores. Uh, and, you know, they're, they're fine. Right. Um, I told something about the development of modern Israel. You know, ancient Israel is the first step in Western civilization, the first step in Western civilization. The earliest, chronologically, is God's covenant with Abraham, which in a time, you know, this is 1500, 2000 years before Socrates, uh, religion at that time was tribal and familial. Your gods were the gods of your ancestors, your own gods, right? Not somebody else's gods. And so this thing happens in the Bible. I will be your God and you will be my people. And this will be a blessing to all the peoples on the face of the earth. And in all of the several God's covenants with the Jewish patriarchs. All the people on the face of the earth are always mentioned, the one God for everybody. Well, that's a wonderful thing, right? Isn't that a piece of magic, the equivalent of, you know, extended and perfected by Jesus Christ and parallel to the achievement of Socrates, to look for the truth as it is, wherever it is, and not just according to our view of it. So we went through that stuff. And then at one point, I said that the early Zionists in Europe, this is a factual point, were not particularly religious people. And So one young man asked the question, well, then, what's a Jew? And I said, yeah, I see if you're a Christian, that's a religion, a belief. And if you don't believe you're not a Christian. And if you do believe you are. But the Jews are different from that because they are a people. That's not quite the same thing as a race. That's a family extended. They are descended from one another, and they inherit things through their families that even if they don't become orthodox, they think of themselves as they're a people.
S2: That's the correct answer. People that have become a nation, but some have not become part of the nation. And but they are culture and some are religious and some are not. That's an excellent answer. More coming up with Doctor Larry Arnn on this Friday edition of the Hillsdale Dialogue. All things Hillsdale, hillsdale.edu. All the prior dialogues are collected at collected@hillsdale.com. Stay tuned. Welcome back America. I'm Hugh Hewitt talking with Doctor Larry Arnn about the 1960s. Back again with all their splendor and glory. Doctor Ron I did want to before we finished up talking about the wildness of conspiracy theories. I read a new book last week by Joseph LeConte, who, um, has written extensively on a couple of old professors by the name of Tolkien and Lewis and how they went through 1933 to 1945. It's called The war for Middle Earth. It's really fascinating. And in it, he quotes C.S. Lewis as saying, the best antidote to the madness of Hitler and of the new ideologies. The only cure for it, actually, is the fresh sea breeze of old books. What do you think Lewis meant by that?
S3: Well, he writes a lot about that. He actually wrote an essay called On the Reading of Old Books, And his argument there is that, uh, you know, all learning, by the way, involves an act of stepping outside yourself, right? Because learning is of learning something else. You know, I'm looking at my desk right now. There's a keyboard and there's a stapler and there's a whatever there is. And the point is, if I want to understand those things, I have to look at them. There's a wonderful, you know, in Aristotle's de Anima Book three, chapter four, people should go and read it. It's dense, but it's beautiful. He actually describes what the soul of the human being would need to be like for it, to be able to see a thing in its kind and form. He says the soul has to be immaterial. It has to be only that thing that it sees. Well, there's step one. But step two is an old book. Lets you step outside the time that you're in because you know, we're in this time right now, right? And this time is particularly oppressive with information. Yeah. It's so abundant with information that it's oppressive. So read an old book. It's like visiting another dimension, certainly another dimension in time. And the only old books that are worth reading. Ultimately, the only contemporary books that are worth reading now are books that can contain a microcosm or an explanation of things that abide, things that are the same over time. You know, we think everything changes. And as we say that we are using a faculty of reason to say it, that if it changed, we wouldn't be able to understand anything. Is it wrong for an adult to abuse a child? Has that changed? It's been done. It is done. Is it wrong now? Was it wrong then? Can we see that it's wrong? Is it still true that, uh, human beings live between certain range of temperature best. And when it gets really cold or really hot? It's hard, right? In other words, fundamental conditions, most of them, that's why we call them fundamental don't change. And so reading old books is a way to isolate what those are. And you know, I've been reading Chesterton lately. I like him. Uh, I like Lewis the best, I think, but I like Chesterton, and, uh, he is much more of a well, he goes on and on about Charles Dickens and Robert Louis Stevenson. He just loves those guys. Treasure Island, you know. Stevenson. And I'm reading right now Black Arrow. And you wouldn't think it would be interesting. What it's about is it's about the yeah, it's about the, you know, it's it's and see, he writes adventure books. And Chesterton makes a claim that these books are of permanent and transcendent value. Treasure Island is probably the best of them. People know what that one is. This one I'm early in the book. But what it is, is there are these families and there's, you know, the English Civil War is brewing and and there's raiders and there's and they're out in the woods and they're shooting bows and arrows at each other, and they're having a rollicking series of adventures. And it's clannishness. It's, you know, my family, you're from my clan, your clan, which is a family tribes like tribe. And, and so, and you see these people fighting and saving and rescuing and killing, and you see their characters unfold. You see what they're like under pressure. Right. And you see that some of them are very worthy. Some of them are not. You see that many of them are very formidable and bad, and many of them are very formidable and good. And you're on the side of those ones. Well, aren't those relationships permanent? Aren't, aren't aren't those the characteristic phenomena in human life? And that book was written a long time ago.
S2: I was unaware that that Chesterton recommended Robert Louis Stevenson. Louis recommends Chesterton. I learned that in this new book by LeConte, The War in Middle Earth, a very big fan of Chesterton. So that's our recommendation for the week. We're coming back. Don't go anywhere, America. But our recommendation for the week is Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Island and the Black Arrow. Though I don't think we'll be doing a whole Hillsdale dialogue on it, though I never know. We do what Doctor Arnn wants to do. Stay tuned. Welcome back America. I'm Hugh Hewitt. Doctor Larry Arnn is my guest. The Hillsdale dialogue is underway the last broadcast hour of the week on the Salem News Channel, the Salem Radio Network, all of our great affiliates, all of them are collected, hundreds of them. Hugh, for hillsdale.com, you can also find everything at Hillsdale, including a fabulous new video course on classical rhetoric and logic, which is very seductive, very, very well shot. And a younger man teaching it who I've not made the acquaintance of yet. I'm looking forward to Doctor Arnn up in Maine last week, Governor Janet Mills withdrew from the race to become the next United States senator. She wants to take on Susan Collins, but she can't get any ground picked up on a fellow named Graham Plattner. Now, there used to be a reality show called Extreme Makeover, and it was originally about unkept people who had bad clothing habits or bad hygiene habits, or just didn't know how to cut their hair, and they would give them an extreme makeover and they would come out great. Then Extreme Makeover Home Edition, that's the Home and Garden channel. They go into a dump and they would fix it up and then they'd have the extreme. This is the extreme makeover. Young Mr. Plattner, who's 41 now, has got himself a Totenkopf tattoo, though he's tried to blur it out. That's the death head ruined by the SS who guarded the extermination camps that could kill the prisoners on their own volition. Uh, he's got a Reddit thread over years full of every kind of bigotry and racist evil you can imagine, but they're nominating him. Janet Mills got out of the race. He's raising all the money from the young people this, and he's running against Susan Collins, who's the moderate moderate. She's a quintessential nice person, effective representative, chairwoman of appropriations on the Senate Intelligence Committee, lovely lady. And she won by nine points six years ago when Joe Biden beat Donald Trump by nine points in Maine. So she's formidable as well. Why do you think this keeps happening? Why are Democrats nominating crazy people?
S3: The explanation of one of my closest and longest serving colleagues is maybe the country is dying. You know, I mean, really, this is pretty bad. Yeah. People think a lot of crazy things now, and it's easy to, you know, alarmingly and rapidly make them known. And some of these guys, you know, are like Nick Fuentes. You know, who's a nut? He's smart. Right? I think he's fundamentally irresponsible and amazingly wrong. And I read the other day that he's losing audience. I hope so. But, you know, you can listen to that stuff. And it's like a whole new world opening up to you before you start trying to find out whether any of it is true or not. And yeah, and people are remember that people, if you took a poll in 1950. Do you trust the federal government? The trust numbers were very high. And if you took a poll in 1970 and every year after that, they are very low. And one of the reasons for that is the federal government has taken over things in our lives that it doesn't do very well in orders us about. And it's got half the economy under its control, directly and indirectly. And, you know, in in, you know, in 1930 that that amount was 12%. And so, you know, we got on with living our lives. Most government in 1930 was local government, not even state government. It was over 60% of total government was your city, town, county. So now all those decisions are made remotely and they're made nationally and they're not made very well. The federal government used to come to site chiefly for its three main purposes, which are national defence, a national system of commerce among the states, and dealing with the foreign world. And that's what it did. And so now it does everything right, and it has altered education in fundamental ways. More than half the employees of public education in America are not teachers. And we run charter schools. And that and their ratio is six or 8 to 1 in favor of the teachers, because you don't need that. Right. And and so if you've got teachers who are reduced to functionaries beneath a huge pile of bureaucracy, education suffers. And that means we don't know as much as we used to know. And that's dangerous.
S2: As education suffers, people do get dumb and dumber. people are more susceptible to mind viruses. I'll be right back with Doctor Ami. I'll tell you about the redistricting decision last week by the Supreme Court. Stay tuned. Welcome back America. Hugh Hewitt, the Hillsdale dialogue is underway. All things hillsdale@hillsdale.edu. They're having commencement this week, so you can get your application for next year now. And I would recommend that you do that. And you can get all the online courses. You can sign up for imprimis@hillsdale.edu. They have a brand new movie coming out on on our 250th birthday. I recommend you get information there and you can get every Hillsdale dialogue dating back decade now at hue for hillsdale.com. Doctor Aaron, the Supreme Court did something last week which was truly magnificent. They ended the use of race in the drawing of congressional districts. Now, this should have been done years ago. I've been teaching these cases for 25 years. They were incoherent until last week when Justice Alito said, and I'm going to condense it here for the Steelers fans. You can't use race to award a congressional district or to deny a congressional district to anybody. Race cannot be used in the absence of a previously proven definite intention to use race to screw or to award. That's it. We're done with it. I'm very enthused about this decision. What do you think?
S3: Oh, yeah. Well, race is a special category, right? Um, it would probably be wrong to discriminate against left handed people. But race is more obvious and has a history of discrimination against it. And so there are extra protections in the law against discriminating on that ground. And they are many, many of the institutions built beginning in the 1960s to combat discrimination on race became engines of discrimination on race. Uh, you know, Hillsdale College does not take the money from the government When that money began to be offered in about 1960, there were a lot of debates on our board and they said, well, we could take the money. We we've never discriminated on race. Our founding article say, without regard to race, sex or national origin. We've always read that at the beginning of every board meeting today. This week, would we have a board meeting? So we thought we could do it. But then, you know, it became a compulsion to count by race, to report, by race, to come under pressure. If you don't have the numbers that they like of race. And so this redistricting stuff too is the same. You know, I remember a few years ago, I read an article from some conservative or Republican who said, yeah, this is a really good thing because it forces them to concentrate a lot of Democratic black votes, and that will mean more Republican seats. And, and I, I, I responded to that. Okay. It shouldn't take account of that at all, right? Not for. Not for our political advantage or theirs. Not for anybody's.
S2: Not.
S3: And, uh, now, I'm not saying that redistricting is going to be honest. I think it's going to grow more dishonest. But, um, you know, I, I heard my colleague Mollie Hemingway say the other day, she teaches journalism here. I heard her say the other day that, uh, if the, if the red states did what Virginia is attempting to do, court seems to have stopped them for the time being. Uh, they could get 48 more Republican congressional seats. Well, you know, that means two can play at that game. And the Republicans are more spread out across territory than the Democrats. So I you know, I expect that there'll be attempts that way. You read about them going on right now. Florida, I think is the latest.
S2: Yeah. Well, it's an era of maximum partisanship. I do not mind this, doctor. I really don't. I know that the framers weren't big fans of faction, but faction is here and it's inevitable. And so provided they don't draw lines based on race, I think the courts ought to stay out of it. And states can have independent commissions if they want. They can divide by continuity, contiguity or by cities or by compactness, but they just can't use race and let the chips fall where they may.
S3: And that's an enormous gain, right? And and that by itself. Right. And you know about the founders, by the way, I should mention Matt writes Madison liberty is to faction as air is to fire. We're always going to have factions. What he tried to do was prevent there being a majority faction. And that's what the you know, in other words, he defines it carefully in Federalist ten. It's a group of people who have majority control and rule in their own interests, which is also the definition of tyranny in Aristotle's politics. So he was trying to prevent that. And what we have a struggle over, the reason politics are intense is that there's a danger that we could get that here. Because remember what I said, if half the economy directly and indirectly is controlled by the government, then there's enormous resources at stake, right? And the government itself and its assigns, its employees, its beneficiaries, its contractors are an enormous force in the electoral system. So there are dangers of majority faction among us today. What was the James Carville, you know, the moderate Democrat, said that if for the first time the Democrats get control again, They have to do D.C. put D.C. and Puerto Rico into the Union fully. Get four more Senate seats out of that, and then we have to amend the voting rights laws so we can't be losing elections anymore. Well, that's the danger, and that's why politics are so intense. And then on the other hand, you get certain politicians rising who want to drain the swamp. The swamp is very big and the people in it don't like it.
S2: Don't want to be drained. They don't want to be drained.
S3: So that, you know, they can't. They're swamp creatures. They can't live if it's drained. So you see, that's in other words. And what. And another one with the point in rather more direct language, it is a question what form and purpose of government will we have? Just like in the American Revolution and just like in the Civil War, the consequences of that fate today.
S2: And that's why the debate. We have one more segment coming up. Don't go anywhere America. Doctor Arnn and his his tribe at Hillsdale have been turning out amazing books. And I want to talk to him briefly about two of them. In our last segment, Mollie Hemingway, he mentioned. But I also have to bring up Matt Spalding. And I also want to bring up one that's referenced by Brett Baer and Brett's new book, The Case for America. They're all Hillsdale books. They're all Hillsdale people. Stay tuned. You'll hear their titles next on the Hugh Hewitt Show. Welcome back America. The Hillsdale Dialogue wrapping up this week. Hope you have a great Mother's Day weekend planned. If you haven't done anything for mom, here are three suggestions. Doctor Larry Arnn is my guest. He presides as president over Hillsdale College, connected to the College of three books, two of them real new. Uh, Mollie Hemingway, who teaches at the Kirby Center journalism just produced Alito, which is a fabulous book. I also want to mention that Matt Spalding, who was on last week, produced the the book The Making of the American Mind Understanding the Declaration of Independence, which won the ISI Award for book of the year, which is a big deal. And then I was interviewed by Bret Baier for his new book, The Case for America, and he asked me, what should people read? And I said, well, I think they ought to start with Wilfred Maclay's land of Hope, the one volume history of the American People. That is fabulous. You're turning out a lot of good books up there in Hillsdale, Doctor Oren.
S3: Yeah, I keep thinking I ought to give him more work. Yeah. There's some talent. All three of those books are splendid. Now, the first book in any of them has written, all their other books are good, too. But these three are sort of coming at peaks in their career. You know, they worked on these kind of things for a long time, and they've learned a lot, and they've got themselves, their skills to a place where they can really produce. So they're very worth reading. Alito is, um, you know, he, he ranks there close to Clarence Thomas because those those two are revolutionary justices on the Supreme Court. And thank God for them.
S2: Steady and courageous men. Uh, they are steady and courageous. Now, I don't know who will be judged the more influential over the years. I suspect it will be Alito, but the more inspirational may very well be. Justice Thomas, has a Justice Alito been a guest on your college yet, Doctor Arne?
S3: No. He entertains our students in his chambers, and I've invited him to speak here. And in this day and age, he didn't say he never will. He did say he would love to. But he also says he doesn't want to put the security people to the work it takes these days for him to go anywhere. And, uh, you know, that's a cost that we all bear by the intensity and violence of the age.
S2: It is a consideration of his is generous because it is actually quite real. And when people step out and about at public events. I wasn't at the white House Correspondents Association dinner this year. Uh, but I doubt that many such events are going to be held anymore. I pray that commencements go well. I don't know who's speaking at yours this week, but have a jolly commencement. That's what they're intended to be uplifting and jolly. And for the parents who are wondering what their students have been doing for four years because they're different now than they were when they dropped them off. So have a wonderful commencement, doctor, Larry Arnn.
S1: Thanks for listening to the Hillsdale Dialogues, part of the Hillsdale College Podcast Network. More episodes@podcast.hillsdale.edu or wherever you find your audio. For more information about Hillsdale College, head to hillsdale.edu.