S1: Every week. Hillsdale College President Larry Arnn joins Hugh Hewitt to discuss great books, great men, and great ideas. This is Hillsdale Dialogues, part of the Hillsdale College Podcast Network. More episodes@podcast.hillsdale.edu or wherever you find your audio.
S2: Morning glory needed. Grace America. I'm Hugh Hewitt. That music means the Hillsdale dialogue is underway this week. Doctor Larry Arnn and I are back into Winston Churchill's World War II memoirs. We're in the second volume, Their Finest Hour, chapters eight and nine, which are titled Home Defense and the French Agony. It's a lot to cover in a half an hour of talking, but we want to start on what my volume is. Page 143. Doctor Aaron, the reader of these pages and future years should realize how dense and baffling is the veil of the unknown. Why does. Why does Churchill tell us that? He reminds us of that a few times in the course of these books. Well, he's writing knowing what happened, but he didn't know what happened or what happened in 1940.
S3: Yeah. Well, he. So anybody living his life doesn't know what's going to happen tomorrow, you know. And so if you read history where the examples are about what life is like, you can experience through one life things and you get that experience as you go. And you don't have much when you start and you only get one life's experience, but you can get a lot of experience if you read history. But when you read it, you have to remember that the people who made it didn't know any more about tomorrow than we know today. And that means that these shocking and cataclysmic and wonderful things that are told in this chapter and in this book. They were all accomplished or failed at by people who are just as ignorant as we are about tomorrow and even the state of things today. Because right now what we're hearing is in these chapters is that the French army is collapsing on a scale and at a pace that an army that size had never collapsed in human history. And of course, nobody could predict that's what would happen. In fact, Churchill definitely predicted it would not happen on the radio right after he became prime minister, and then a month later, he was proved wrong. And he's coping with that every day while he's getting ready to figure out how to stop the Germans from coming ashore.
S2: Well, that's what he that's what I took away from this, is that he wanted to communicate to everyone who would read this book, and we're reading it 85 years after the fact, that the Brits were really worried about an invasion. I mean, they really were worried about invasion. Churchill writes, or would they go to Ireland? So maybe they'd go to Ireland first and then come across the Irish Sea. But that's a palpable fear that we've never had in the United States, even after nine over 11. We weren't worried about an invasion even after Pearl Harbor. We might have been worried about coastal California, but we weren't worried about an invasion in force. We were worried about attack. They were worried about waking up some morning and seeing a reverse Normandy. That's quite a burden to bear.
S3: Yeah, Churchill learned he doesn't. Some of the best things are not in this book, in part because he was such an important man. And he's writing about recent events. But one of them is the day he was informed when he went over the first war plans, that they couldn't defend the beaches. He sort of implies otherwise in this book. But the truth is, if the Germans got ashore with a sizable force, they couldn't contest it unless they had an equal, equal size force to fight them. But that meant that they had to gather the serious troops. And, you know, there was one division that was serious troops and well equipped. There were other divisions that were well trained, but they didn't. They left their equipment behind in France. And so they had to they had to gather more higher up north. They had to gather away from the coast in concentrated areas and try to attack. And that meant that probably large swaths of territory in the South would be lost. London is in the south. And so when he saw that, and he sees at one point them, uh, because they didn't have equipment, uh, he, you know, when he writes to the Dominion Prime ministers in the second chapter, we're reading and all that, he doesn't go into all this, but he actually witnessed them. uh, getting 55 gallon gas, petrol drums and putting wicks in them and timing how to make them explode at the right place. When they got down by the beach, that's what they were going to try to do. And so it was a very bad situation. And if they had come, they would have taken a lot of territory.
S2: If Hitler had only kept up his momentum. He stopped once outside of Dunkirk because he didn't know what was going on. We talked about that a couple of weeks ago. The fact that Hitler is in the fog of war as well, and he doesn't want to get overextended, but then he pauses Operation Sea Lion and he doesn't. Come on. Churchill is a is a realist. I long for more regular troops with which to rebuild and expand the army. Wars are not won by heroic militias. And he's also doing very practical things. He asked the Admiralty, the Navy for the benefit of the Steelers fan to transfer 50 trained and half trained pilots to Fighter Command because he realizes it's all going to be in the sky. Um, it's all going to depend upon who owns the sky. So he has a good strategic grasp of the situation. He just doesn't have the instruments of war in his hand.
S3: Yeah. Well, so I refer everybody to Victor Hanson's very great book, The Second World Wars. It's a wonderful book, and I learned from it. And I've been studying that war for 40 years now or more. Uh, he goes into the British war effort and he, he describes how much it got out of itself, especially adjusting for its size. In the end, British war production was greater than German war. Production in Germany is a significantly larger country, and the reason for it is in this chapter, this, uh, avalanche of memos coming out, you know, they actually did invent a stamp here in 1940 that he would put on the memo saying, action this day, let's, you know, and, and one of the memos we read in here is that the Indian troops were going to get we got a whole lot of troops in India. Bring them back. They can fight here. We'll send some lesser troops to India. And then he says, two weeks later, we were told we could get some of them back in two weeks. And I learned that some of them have only just embarked for the journey. What's going on? We gotta hurry, you know. Of course. It's just think how? Think of an idea. And he also, by the way, arranges right after he becomes prime minister. And we're in the second month of his premiership right now. And Germany is attacking and France is falling and all the world's falling apart. Right. He says orders are given in writing. And he just dictated streams of these things. And, you know, Don Rumsfeld, whom I knew well and admired very much. He was famous for his snowflakes. Yep. As I say, these little memos would fall on people from all over. He was very good administrator, and he's a very good man. I miss him, but he, uh. And I talked to him about it one time because I had heard complaints from people working for him, and I brought it up to him. He said, yeah, he says, it annoys people. And I said, did you know that Winston Churchill did just the same? And, you know, you could never win a point on Don Rumsfeld. He was a very competitive human being. He would say, of course I knew that.
S2: Well, since we're talking rummy, he was a dangerous interview, meaning that if you were unprepared or said something stupid, he would be the first to let the audience know that you had done that. So more than once I got scorched by rummy, and that was endearing. I actually thought he was going to run for president at one point, I believe in 1980 against Reagan. Maybe it was 88 against H.W., and then he chose the better part of valour and decided not to.
S3: So I know some gossip that I'll relate. Why not? It's the honor of Rumsfeld. Rumsfeld was waiting by the phone in 1980, and George. George H.W. Bush was waiting by the phone. Reagan was going to call one of them to be vice president, and things happened. I won't say what those were. And Reagan called H.W. and, uh, then he called Rumsfeld. Rumsfeld told me this, and he said, uh, I've called George Bush. And Rumsfeld said, thank God for it, Mr. President. Uh, there was another deal offered to him. I won't say what it was. And, uh, and Rumsfeld replied, I was afraid you were going to take that deal. And, uh, Reagan replied, never. So the point is, he was a very important man, and he was not far from the presidency, at least, at least.
S2: Pause right there, doctor. At least for 20 years, not far from the presidency. Much more coming ahead. Don't go anywhere, America. I'm talking with Doctor Larry Arnn, president of Hillsdale College, all things hillsdale@hillsdale.edu. All the prior Hillsdale dialogues at Q four hillsdale.com. New courses, by the way, over@hillsdale.edu. All for free as is in Primus, the monthly speech digest. Just go to hillsdale.edu and sign up and stay tuned. I'll be right back with doctor R. Welcome back America. Hugh Hewitt with Doctor Larry Arnn. When we broke off, we were talking about the 1980 Republican Convention and a deal that was under discussion there a couple times.
S3: In his.
S2: Life for the benefit of the audience. We should tell them what the deal was, because that's a matter of historical record. Jerry Ford's people had approached President Reagan, then candidates Reagan, then Governor Reagan's people with the proposition of being a co-president. And Reagan dallied with that and then firmly rejected it. And I think, is that what the Secretary Rumsfeld was referring to? Thank God you didn't accept that.
S3: Yeah. And see, Reagan, when the convention opened in 1980, Reagan was 17 points behind Jimmy Carter. You eventually beat him by 8 or 9, I think, anyway. The argument was you can't win. People don't trust you. But if I join you and Henry Kissinger joins you, then they will have confidence and we can win the election. That was the arrangement. And there's nothing discreditable about it. But it's much to Reagan's credit that he didn't take it and, uh, change, you know, it's a good thing, but.
S2: Well, they proposed an extra constitutional solution, not constitutional. It's a unitary executive. You can't have a co-president. Let me go back to a line in home defense doctrine. This was a time when all Britain worked and strove to the utmost limit, and was united as never before. He You referred to that the one desire of all the males and many women was to have a weapon. The sense of fear seemed entirely lacking in the people, and their representatives in Parliament were not unworthy of their mood. You know, if the people of Iran had had a weapon, this would not be the despotism that it is.
S3: Yeah. That's right. It. And remember, the habits of self-government are good for a person, right? That's. We talked about socialism last week. If you don't take care of yourself, right. What kind of person will you be? And then then if you get a citizen body that, uh, you know, it's the two 50th here directly and we did a movie about it. Right. And, uh, last last week, you know, this week you quoted Churchill. Wars are not won by heroic militias. Well, the early battles of the American Revolution were, in fact, won that way. And later there was an army and a French army too involved. And that was necessary. But that army, our army was built on a heroic militia.
S2: And on heroic men. Just last week, our mutual friend, Eric Metaxas has a new book out on the American Revolution, and we spent the large part of our time talking about one man, Henry Knox, about whom not many people know the Large Man, 300 pounder bookseller. And Washington says to him, I need some cannon from Saratoga. And he leaves. Boston goes all the way too far. And heck, back to upstate New York in the middle of winter, grabs £15,000 of cannon and gets them on sleds and brings them back and forces the Brits out of Boston, which remains forever thereafter, free. That's one guy, and that's a militiaman. He's not a soldier. He's a bookseller.
S3: Yeah, that's right, that's right. I mean, you know, Paul Revere, who was a really radical guy. He was a silversmith, I think. And, uh, he, you know, but, you know, they lived in the country even if they lived in the city and they knew about horses and they knew about work, and they knew about axes and hatchets and farm equipment, and they knew about guns and, uh, you know, come to find, you know, the British, uh, there's a, in this, we made this film Revolutionary America, which you'll soon be able to watch on streaming. And there's a wonderful quote from the General Burgoyne, I think was the first British general. And he said, they're fighting with great spirit, and he insults us more than in the in the Seven Years War, the French and Indian War. And we're not used to this kind of warfare. Well, that's the only that's the only kind the colonists knew how to wage.
S2: Because they had been waging it on the frontier forever. But before we move on to the French agony, I do want to bring the fact that Churchill was so much in the weeds, I imagine, um, that you are in the weeds at Hillsdale College and people don't know when to expect something. He writes a memo to his Minister of information who's not like in the war cabinet. It's just some fellows, the Ministry of Information, asking him to ask the public, quote, to handle air raids in a cool way and on a diminishing tone of public interest. In other words, to make the abnormal normal and not to lose your head. Even if the neighbor's house gets blown to bits, that's that's in the weeds.
S3: Well, if I'm not mistaken, the Minister of Information at that moment was Alfred Duff Cooper. Oh, great. A great Churchill friend, and he certainly was later that I think he was on this day. And, uh, he was a firm man. His what son? John Julius Norwich, one of the great historians of Venice, is I think he's still alive. He's older now, Anyway, he was like his daddy. They were both great characters. They were really great people to have a good dinner with. They could talk into the night and they were not averse to drink. And Alfred Duff Cooper was quite a guy. And, uh, good to be able to say a word about him here.
S2: I want to also, before we move to French, you mentioned this, that Churchill summoned the troops from India and was upset that the troops from India had not arrived. I think it is little appreciated. I put in my notes that the British Empire, as in Empire one, saved the the West saved democracy. You know, colonialism is much abused now and it will never come back, I don't think. But it was the British Empire that saved the world from Hitler, and only the Empire could have done it.
S3: Yeah, well, I looked it up this morning to refresh my memory. It was only in July of 1944. That's six weeks after D-Day that the Americans had more troops fighting on the continent than the British. And for from what? From June 1940, the month we're in right now until the summer of 1941, the British were alone and we didn't join them. And that's when Hitler attacked the Soviet Union. It's his former ally. And we didn't join the war until December 1942. So that's two years, two and a half years alone, more or less. And, uh, the fact that they stood up to that is just amazing. And, uh, uh, the fact that the Empire and remember, there was no imperial soldier in the dominions or in India, the remaining part of the empire that was not self-governing. There was no power in London to conscript any soldier in any of those countries. They sent them. And see India had an all volunteer army in both World Wars, and they had A million, 2 million in the first war, and a million something in the Second War fighting. And in the first war, very large part of them fought in Europe and they were all volunteers. And so that meant that Churchill was right about something, and that is that the empire is a association of sentiment.
S2: He is right about a lot of things, doctor. We'll come back and talk about more of the things. He was right. An association of sentiment. Love that. Don't go anywhere, America, except over to hillsdale.edu, where you'll find all things, including applications for you rising seniors to Hillsdale. Stay tuned. Welcome back America. Hugh Hewitt with Doctor Larry Arnn, president of Hillsdale College, all things hillsdale@hillsdale.edu. We are talking about the Empire. When we went to break Doctor Arnn, the empire that Winston Churchill presided over as Prime Minister during the war.
S3: When Indians worth commenting here. When Indian independence came, the Indian soldiers were all offered service in the British Army if they wanted it. And the British Army was generally surprised that almost all of them didn't. In fact, a minority did, which indicates something. I don't know a lot of places where I think Winston Churchill was wrong, but I think he was probably wrong in thinking that India had not yet become a country, because it's had a very difficult history and it's a very promising nation today. But it showed even from 1945, 1948, when independence came, it showed that it was becoming a nation. It had been a conglomeration of different.
S2: He might have been right on the timing, though. Doctor, I just finished rereading Freedom at Midnight. It was a pretty awful birth. It was a massacre. Yeah.
S3: And well, he he predicted a million dead. And there were about that that were killed in the Civil War that ensued. And of course, Pakistan split off. And that's chiefly Muslim nation. And India is chiefly a Hindu nation, and they're both mixed up. Some too. And they, you know, don't get along very well today. And they both have nuclear weapons. So he was right about some important things, too. And, you know, the main thing to comment about that was, in my opinion, Churchill. Well, all you gotta do is read it. I've written about it. Churchill was well meaning to the Indians, and he never denied their right to govern themselves. He just thought they weren't ready to do that yet.
S2: So let's move to the French, who ought to have been better prepared to govern themselves than they were. I'm not sure what to think about the average Frenchman in 1940. De Gaulle is all honor to de Gaulle. He's a strong man from beginning to end. He never wavers. He gets out of the country in time. Churchill is driven crazy by him throughout the course of the war, but he had a great courage. I don't know what to think about Reynaud or or. I know what to think about Patton. What do you make, generally of the collapse of so many Frenchmen at the top? Because they could have withdrawn to Burgundy. They could have gone to the south of the country, and they. Darlan could have kept on the fight, and he chose not to either. Well.
S3: France is a great nation. The best. I can explain it, of course, because there was a lot of heroism. By the way, Churchill had several friends who comported themselves beautifully in this collapse. But I think that maybe they were afflicted by the same thing that afflicted British politics in the 1930s. And that was the cost of the First World War was so grievous. And, you know, we on a on a global scale, we met in the First World War lessons that were apparent in 1864 in our country, in the last battles of the Civil War. But of course, Much expanded and much intensified, and the body count was enormous and the fighting conditions were terrible. And then now here, what are we going to do that again? And they just weren't ready to do it. And their army was not ready to do it.
S2: And you can sort of understand that. Uh, stay on standby, doctor. We'll be right back and continue on with the French collapse and all that followed. Welcome back America. I'm Hugh Hewitt. Hillsdale dialogue time all things hillsdale@hillsdale.edu. All of our dialogues with Doctor Larry Arnn, my guest collected at hue for hillsdale.com. Doctor Arnn, when we went to break, we were talking about the rapid French collapse in 1940. And why did it happen?
S3: They built this, uh, they staked their hopes on a wonderful defensive line, maybe the strongest ever built, called the Maginot Line. And Churchill tells the story of that in these chapters. What the Germans did was go around it using the tanks. Right? And then they didn't. They penetrated it in a place or two very late. But most of it was intact when the armistice came. And one of the commanding generals said, I don't want to lay down my arms. All of our defenses are still intact here. Right. So they had staked so much on that. And, I don't know, maybe they put their best troops in there, too. But the ones that were not in there were just basically not ready to go. And they, you know, and you got to hand it to the Germans, even to Hitler, their plan until about two years, I think it was before the war, was to repeat what they had done in the First World War, to go around through Belgium, swing to the right, you know, take the the army from the north West, and they built this Maginot Line to force that. And the Maginot Line runs from basically the beginning of the Ardennes forest, which is thought to be impassable. North and west, up toward Belgium. And then the idea was the British and the French armies would gather at the Belgian border and maybe go over into Belgium. Belgium was an ally and fight the fight the German army there. That was the plan. Well, what Hitler did was he got Rommel and Guderian, his best generals, probably. Rommel certainly was one of the best to come up with another plan. And they thought they could get tanks through the hilly, even mountainous passageways and through the Ardennes forest and attack them from behind. And that's what they did. And they got between them in Paris, and they cut the communications of the Allied armies and everything was a mess. It was chaos, right. And communications broke down. And the British, it's very it's a wonderful story how all this happened. And, you know, my father in law was in this retreat and left Dunkirk Beach the last day. And he could recount to you about it, you know, first of all, everything's a mess. The maps are completely disorganized, and there never really was an order given. You guys fight your way to the beach and come home. And there never was an order given you guys the French. You guys break with the British and retreat to the south toward Paris and maybe south of it. The British just sort of started moving that way. They just it was chaos and nothing was working. The communications were terrible and they started fighting their way home. And they did fight in good order and kept themselves together marvelously. I mean, it's remarkable how they performed and are in retreat. And, you know, the famous soldiers of Calais that we talked about in the previous week. They rescued their army and considerable part of the French army. But the French, they just got their way back toward Paris, and they basically just fell apart.
S2: General Alan Brooke, who later becomes the George Marshall for Great Britain, the chief of the General Staff, sends a note to the Secretary of War, Anthony Eden. At that point, the position is hopeless. All further reinforcements should be stopped in the remainder of the British Expeditionary Force. Now about 150,000 should be re-embarked at once. And they did indeed get 136 136,000 Brits and 20,000 poles off Churchill. Though I think this is a wonderful note on which to end. He. He censors bad news. There's sinking of boats even as France collapse. And he says, quote, the newspapers have got quite enough disaster for today. At least he he realises he's got to buck up a country that that maybe is the difference between he and the French Prime Minister Churchill is. Yeah, well, the task of revitalizing his country.
S3: If you want to read, you should read this book. And then I would suggest that you read the chapters in Martin Gilbert's big biography, the eight volume biography. Just go find. Volume six is what this is in the volume is entitled Finest Hour. Read the story of his visits to the French. I've recounted crazy on this show, but they're very. And he. Churchill is trying to get them to say, send out an order that everyone is to fight and fight their way someplace south and keep it up till the coast and then run to Africa. If you've got to write Churchill, then in these chapters shows that he's giving similar orders to the British civilian population in the event of an invasion. In other words, there was no command at the top that we're going to go on no matter what. And and Churchill, in a very moving moment, says, you can destroy two German Army corps in the streets of Paris and says, we've ordered the surrender of Paris. And Churchill says nations that die fighting rise up again. Those that surrender tamely are gone forever. And that's a very low moment in the in the story of these four trips.
S2: It is indeed. And hold that thought. We'll be back for a little bit more on the collapse of France from Winston Churchill's memoir, all the prior dialogues on the World War Two memoirs are collected@hughforhillsdale.com. Welcome back America. I'm Hugh Hewitt with Doctor Larry Arnn, president of Hillsdale College, all things Hillsdale hillsdale.edu. Doctor, since we're talking about the low point of France in 1940, let's also talk about Charles de Gaulle, who gave some hope in that moment. But Churchill de Gaulle gets out.
S4: Of France.
S2: De Gaulle keeps fighting, and he has de Gaulle address the British nation the night he arrives in the United Kingdom. I think that's a brilliant stroke, even though they're collapsing across the channel. We've got this French general here, and he says, fight on, because they got all the North African Empire to worry about, right?
S3: Oh, yeah. Yeah. And they, you know, de Gaulle was a he was a serious man. He was a wonderful man. Uh, Churchill was mentioned in this chapter that he walked up. He just noticed de Gaulle, who was not a senior. He wasn't a general. Why was he in the room? Uh, he had to spit for it. And people recognized that. Churchill just noticed his demeanor, his countenance, and he walked up to him at one point and said, man of destiny. Man, Amen. Man. My mom, Justine. And, uh, Churchill was right about that. Now, it is true that they fought like cats and dogs through the war, and de Gaulle fought with Roosevelt like cats and dogs. He got to the place where Roosevelt would hardly talk to him. And, uh, uh, and, you know, later, de Gaulle would not join certain parts of NATO. Correct. Very independent minded costs. And whatever was the spirit that kept him strong in the face of this defeat, he he kept France together. And the spirit that led him do that also made him a very difficult ally.
S2: When we come back next week, I want to talk about French exhaustion and maybe American exhaustion, but we'll leave that for next week. All of you are interested in this. All of the dialogues on Churchill's World War II memoirs are collected over@hughforhillsdale.com, and they go back quite some time. We're on volume two, and we'll be picking up on chapter nine and or ten and 11 next week. If you want to catch up with us and read the Bordeaux Armistice and Admiral Darlan and the French Fleet. Quite the dramas them both. Until then, stay tuned. And I've got to say about Admiral Darlan, if any of you do not know if it hadn't been for de Gaulle, Darlan would be the last Frenchman that you'd ever have heard of from World War Two. But de Gaulle got out and Darlan, who went back and forth. And we'll get into his complicated story next week. Admiral Darlan went back and forth. Uh, he could have stood up as de Gaulle did, stand up just as France was falling. But he didn't. He made his peace with the Vichy government in Pétain and the. And, uh, it was just a very sad moment for the Admiral. He redeemed himself a bit. We'll talk more about that next week. Until then, though, we're in volume two. I have the paperback edition, as I was just mentioning. Uh, I think it's easiest one to work with rather than the expensive and original first edition volumes or the memoirs that are everywhere. You can find and use bookstores. They're heavier to carry. I like the paperbacks. They're easy to work with. All the Hillsdale dialogues are found@hughforhillsdale.com and everything. Hillsdale, including brand new online courses for free and the opportunity to sign up for Imprimis, the monthly speech digest for free. You can find that@hillsdale.edu. Thank you Adam. Thank you doctor. Thank you Harley. Thank you Generalissimo. I'll talk to you on Monday on the next hear your show.
S1: Thanks for listening to the Hillsdale Dialogues, part of the Hillsdale College Podcast Network. More episodes@podcast.hillsdale.edu or wherever you find your audio. For more information about Hillsdale College, head to hillsdale.edu.