S1: Every week. Hillsdale College President Larry Arnn joins Hugh Hewitt to discuss great books, great men, and great ideas. This is Hillsdale Dialogues, part of the Hillsdale College Podcast Network. More episodes@podcast.hillsdale.edu or wherever you find your audio.
S2: Morning glory and evening Grace America. I'm Hugh Hewitt, welcome to Hillsdale Dialogue. It's a special Hillsdale dialogue. They're all kind of special. I think highly of them. Many people do. We're glad to have the following that we have all things hillsdale@hillsdale.edu. All the dialogues are collected@hughforhillsdale.com, and if you go over to hillsdale.edu, you'll find them all sorted out there and and arranged for you to pick the subject matter and go deep. But as we approach the 250th anniversary of the vote on the Declaration of Independence. I thought we would devote a program to the Genius of America with Doctor Larry Arnn, president of Hillsdale College. He is also the author of a book called The Founders Key. He has made it part of his life's work to understand the declaration, to understand Lincoln's reliance upon the declaration, as well as a great half American, Winston Churchill. So let's go way back to the founders key doctrine to start this off. You studied that era. Why? Why were you attracted to that era and write that book and, and study with Harry Jaffa?
S3: Well, um, I'm an American and I grew up on stories of the American Revolution. I love the Lexington and Concord story where we took on the mighty British. Very well told in this movie. We've been talking about. And you know how we use different tactics than the British had ever encountered before. And they were the tactics of a free people spontaneously organizing themselves. And that's always been the strength of the American military. So I love those stories. And then, you know, I grew up in the in the 60s and 70s and everything is controversial, not as controversial as right now, but everything is controversial. And the question is, is this a good country or not? And to identify what the country is, you have to figure out. The first thing you have to figure out is what is its final cause for what does it stand? And the answer to that is in the Declaration of Independence. And Professor Jaffa, you know, I grew up in New York, a Jewish man. He fell in love with it, uh, through reading a book, a publication of the Lincoln-Douglas debates. And he watched Lincoln put that document to motion to deal with the crisis of the Civil War, which is our worst crisis except for the revolution. And, you know, I think the crisis in which we are today approaches those crises. So, of course, if you want to understand America, that's where you start, because that's where America started. And then it's a very unusual document because it gives the reasons for the country. It does. It's two it has three purposes, and it's divided into three sections. It's about 1400 words long. The first section is some universal principles applying to everyone, everyone who ever lived any place. Uh, and then in the name of those principles at the end, the third section, they do the formal act of forming a country, an act of treason against the former rulers. In the name of those principles, God appears four times, always in the discussion of those principles at the very beginning. And the very end is where they're located. Uh, first, God is the maker of the laws of nature and nature's God. Then he's the creator, like a founder. Then he's the supreme Judge of the world. Kind of fellow before him whom Lawyer Hewitt would argue. And finally, he's divine Providence. That is the executive. And so God appears four times as all of the branches of government and the founder. And then the middle section describes the form of government. That would be right. It is the form we have today. And it describes them negatively in describing, these are the bad things the King has done. And what do they amount to is he's interfered with representation. That's the constitutional way of saying government by consent. They can't do anything to you unless you elect them to do it. Uh, and they've interfered with separation of powers. The uniqueness of the American Constitution is that it manages rights. Madison to draw all its authority from the great body of the people, but it does it in different ways, at different times, so that the three branches of government can be divided. And that way they all have an equal standing. The president is elected one way and the Congress in two different bodies, a second and a third way. And then the courts are appointed by them and they have tenure in office during good behavior. And so that's those the offenses of the king. There are some particular things he's done, like quartering troops and, and, uh, you know, failing to defend the country. But the core offenses are all against those principles of government representation, separation of powers, which includes the independent judiciary. And so what they're thinking. Because remember, they are the first people to work out these principles and put them into action. Never happened before. See? And by the time of the Declaration of Independence, their thinking is far advanced. They're already looking ahead to the Constitution, which has passed 11 years later. And so it is a marvelous encapsulation of the purpose and the manner of the government of the United States.
S2: What I try and teach, what I try and teach my law students when I do the declaration and most common law classes begin in 1803 with Marbury versus Madison. Mine begins in 1770 because you've got to understand the declaration, understand the Constitution. You've got to understand the Constitution to get to Marbury versus Madison and the extension of the court's authority. But in that section wherein our detailed George the Third crime, there is a particular line that sings to me. He has sent out great armies of officials to eat up our wealth and our freedom. And I'm paraphrasing from memory, but it's the idea of bureaucrats. He sent bureaucrats everywhere. This has been forgotten. You didn't mention it. I just want to make a note that the declaration specifically inveighed against bureaucracy.
S3: He has sent among us swarms of officials swarms to harass our people and eat up their substance.
S2: And if that is not true today about the administrative state of California.
S3: Oh, yeah. No. That's right. And that's, you know, that's, um, a technique of rule, right. Uh, if you ever, if people ever watch the great movie, uh, The Lives of Others, one of the best movies ever made is Bill Buckley's favorite movie at the end of his life.
S2: Oh, I didn't know that.
S3: It's about. It's about a Stasi official in East Germany. And at the end, after it's over, It has a nice ending. It's. It's not a gloomy movie. Um, uh, words come up on the screen to say that in East Germany and before. Before communism fell, one citizen in six was a member of the secret police. The. And that meant every time you went out to dinner, you were surrounded by him. If you had guests over for dinner in your home, you couldn't be sure unless you knew them extremely well, whether they were or not. And maybe not even then.
S2: Not even then.
S3: And so the point is, they're the five are working to pay so that the one can spy on them and arrest them. And, uh, the movie, I will tell you opens and see this. And remember when somebody says that without representing you or being elected, we can govern you in all cases whatsoever. And that was a shameful moment in the British House of Commons when they passed that law regarding regarding America. Right. Once you do that, then the next thing you know, they can do whatever they want, right? And they all have some reason for it that they think is, you know, they will say is good for everybody. And, but that's where you're going. That's, that's what can happen. See, you said a week ago, when we were talking about current affairs, that the public employee unions are very influential in California.
S2: Correct.
S3: Well, they have an interest, don't they? And they deploy enormous resources in politics to get their way and influence elections. And and, you know, they if you just count everything up together, they've got something like that. The the modern administrative state has half the resources of the country at its disposal.
S2: And I would argue in, in California, it probably has more. And in a somewhat sinister fashion. It has the youth, because of the vastness of the California education system and the fact that it operates out of Sacramento and it operates poorly out of Sacramento, and the teachers unions come ahead of the kids. And therefore, it's a very difficult cycle to break when you get there. But there's hope. Welcome back America. I'm Hugh Hewitt joined by Doctor Larry Arnn, Hillsdale Dialogue special edition commemorating our 250th birthday. Doctor I when I was last at Monticello, I had arranged to go early and be met by the director, and because I was running the Nixon Museum at the time, there was a fraternity there. And so I got to see the upstairs room. I got to see the restoration that David Rubenstein had paid for. It was a fabulous thing. And I learned then that they assert that the declaration is the model for the so-called Declaration of Independence of more than 80 other countries around the nation, around the world and the United Nations backed that up. If you look it up in the. In any AI engine that more than 80. More than half of the countries in the world look to our declaration as their model for their declaration. Though their governance is not always constitutional governance. What was Jefferson working from? Or. If you want to be a more expansive. In your credit, everyone at the convention, but especially Adams and Franklin, what were they working from? What was the legacy that they were using to craft their argument?
S3: Well, there are two answers to that question. One is Jefferson was an extremely well-read man. I've been to Montesquieu's Chateau, and the claim that they make there is that Montesquieu owned and had read every book. You can't do that anymore. But, uh, too many books now. But, uh, he had read everything they say. Well, Jefferson could make that claim. So he is in Paris. And, uh, during the time of the writing of the Constitution, and his friend James Madison wrote and said, uh, send me some books to get ready for the Constitutional Convention. And the number that he spent sent was over 175. And Madison apparently read them. Uh, so, you know, they were very well read men. If you read the Federalist Papers, you will see that they have reflected on the classics and the medievals and their figures in the Renaissance. So, uh, that's one answer. The second answer is Jefferson writes a letter about how he went about it, and he said he consulted no book or pamphlet. He said I was expressing the harmonizing sentiments of the day. Now, where were they to be found? They were to be found. First of all, there were two books that most any household had in it. If they had any books in the. From the American Revolution, at least through the Lincoln-Douglas debates. One was the King James Bible, and one was the works of William Shakespeare. Yep. And so, you know, and there are a lot of books around, right. The Montesquieu, Montesquieu was particularly heavily read. He was the great separation of powers philosopher. And they argue about him in particular in the Federalist Papers, because the Anti-Federalists are saying that he favors small republics. And the Federalists say, uh, okay, that proves too much, because the smallest state is bigger than the largest republic that Montesquieu indicated would be good big old country, you know, going to get bigger. They hoped. So, uh, they were very well read people, but then they had these town halls, right? I mean, self-government and by the time by 1763, so the American Revolution. America starts in 1609. Is that the right date? 16071 of those two in Jamestown. The English immigration begins then. And from then until 1763, we were pretty much left to our own devices. Our film tells about that salutary revolutionary America.
S2: The name of the film is Revolutionary America. It may be in theaters still, and it will be on some streaming platforms. Go ahead.
S3: And what did we do? We built this very elaborate system of representative government, starting from the bottom up, as the Constitution indicates. Government should work, although it's now centralized in ways that I think are not good. I mean, hugely. And so town halls get together and argue. And, you know, if you go into Faneuil Hall in Boston, a historic place where the first arguments that led to the Declaration of Independence were mostly intensely waged, most intensely waged. Uh, it's a two story thing, you know. There's a balcony, right? And so on the floor level and up on the balcony, there are people standing up and talking and everybody could hear. And the place was packed. And they're arguing about, you know, everything from picking up the rubbish to the water supply to the Tea Party and the American Revolution. And so we were used to that, and we had more of that than anywhere in the world. And, uh, that's, you know, that's, um, so when Jefferson sat down to write this, he was talking to a populace that was thinking about stuff like this, understood that they had rights that had no experience of any kind of government except by people they had elected and.
S2: And a population that was a frontier population. I know that there are developed cities like Philadelphia and Boston and to a lesser extent Williamsburg, but it's still a frontier. It's still a dangerous country. It's an adventure to live in America until well into the 19th century. I think that animate Jefferson somewhat. Uh, to be a Virginian is to is to live a long distance from your neighbor. You have to run your own farm. Your own.
S3: Yeah, yeah. And see, like, one of the, one of the reasons Jefferson became so prominent was because the revolution really became intense in Boston and to a lesser extent in New York City, big port cities, right? Well, the other big state is Virginia, and that's plantations and farms, right. Lots of commerce with Great Britain, which consumed its agricultural products and sent back manufactured products. Right. So they. So how are you going to unite the country? And John Adams, who's one of the shrewdest Americans who ever lived. He figured out we got to promote Washington and Jefferson and Washington because he never commanded a big bunch of troops. But gosh, didn't he look like he could? And turned out he finally could. But but and he's from Virginia. And then Jefferson could write like a dream. You know, the Declaration of Independence is very beautiful. After the declaration, my favorite thing he ever wrote is the last paragraph of something he wrote in 1774 called the Summary View of the Rights of British North America. And the first two sentences are just beautiful, he says, because, you know, they're addressing everybody addresses the king with great respect, especially early when the when the British start doing things. It gives rise to a pamphlet war and letters to the addresses to the throne and the Parliament pleading and making their case and arguing with each other, too. And when Jefferson takes up his pen it gets harder. And the last paragraph begins. Let those flatter who fear. Sire, it is not an American art. So.
S2: All right. We'll come back. We'll come back and talk about George. Uh, don't go anywhere, America, because there is a an antagonist in all this. He's he's the last king of America, to quote the title of the book by a mutual friend of doctor and mine, Lord Andrew Roberts, who's a skilled a craftsman as at work today. And his most recent big book about old things is called The Last King of America. We'll talk about what George missed under his nose. You know, miles away across the Atlantic. Stay tuned. Welcome back, America. It's a special Hillsdale dialogue celebrating our 250th birthday. More importantly, the ideas that animated it. Doctor, as I went into the break, I mentioned that our mutual friend, Lord Andrew Roberts, wrote The Last King of America about George the Third. I thought it was a fabulous book, much more complicated man, than is presented in the Broadway musical Hamilton, though the arrogance is there. What do you think he missed about America that made him obtuse or indifferent to what was happening here?
S3: Well, he he thought that he was born to rule, and that imposed a duty on him as much as it imposed on his subjects. Remember, they weren't called citizens. They were called subjects. This birthright citizenship controversy where you are wrong, you. You are wrong as George as George the Third was wrong because they mistake citizens for subjects. Uh, if you're born in a place where people are subjects, then the king can lay claim to you. But if you're a citizen, you got to join up. And, uh, so that's the difference. That's the distinction. But yeah, he was just wrong about that. And remember his whole life, right? He's a German. Uh, the British monarchy is the most stable of all the European monarchies, which means unstable, often, but more stable. And so they have a peaceful transition from the heirs of Henry the Eighth. I'm getting that right. Yes. To the Germans.
S2: And then to the Germans.
S3: Yeah. And, uh. And he's a German aristocrat, and he succeeds by birth. And his son will succeed after him and did. And, uh, and so that's the difference, right? Thomas Jefferson says, no, nobody is born to rule another. Just think of the beauty of Abraham Lincoln's. You know, his aphorisms, right? They're they're Euclidean poems. They're like geometry. And they're like poetry, both as I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master. To me, that is the meaning of democracy. And without that there is no democracy. The.
S2: That is beautiful. But what happened to Burke, who was inveighing against Lord North and everybody else who's running. Because there is a Parliament.
S3: Andrew. Our friend Andrew is a member of the House of Lords, and if he had been a member of the House of Lords in in 1776, he would probably be Edmund Burke, who was a friend of the American Revolution and a friend of the monarchy, as was the greatest statesman of the age, who just turned out not to be in the cabinet that George II picked. But both Pitt father and son. The pits were both understood. The claims of the American Revolution and thought that they should be accommodated. Right. And, uh, you know, Winston Churchill succeeds Now, Winston Churchill, of course, knew well and served with George V and George the Sixth, named after George the Third and George the first and second. And so he was he. And Churchill says on the 4th of July, 1918, in a speech in London, when we're allies in this First World War, the Declaration of Independence, he says, is not only an American document. It grew up on the banks of the Thames, the river that runs through London, and to Oxford. He would repeat this, by the way, in his great Iron Curtain speech in 1946 with Harry Truman there that announced the beginning of the Cold War. And he says, uh, uh, by it, the Declaration of Independence, Churchill says, we lost an empire. But by learning its lessons, we have now preserved an empire. And that means that Britain was not claiming anymore after the American Revolution that because the king was born to rule, the subjects have to do what he says. And they had stopped saying that extensively, at least inside Britain. But they thought they could say that to the colonists, you know. What was it, Grenville or Townshend, one of those two idiots who were key advisors to the king and Lord North was the third. Um, he says to Ben Franklin, you are the children and we are the mother country, and you must do what we say. And Ben Franklin, who, you know, could get along with nearly anybody, wrote back to the Parliament and said he was wrote back to the Continental Congress. He was representing us then in London as the run up to the Revolutionary War. He writes back and says, well, there's going to be a war. We're never going to agree about it.
S2: That's the fundamental.
S3: That's that's the point. If. If no 1st May be rightly governed except by his consent, then that's dispositive.
S2: And that made the revolution inevitable. When we come back, we talk about the man who made it possible. Washington. Stay tuned. America. I'm Hugh Hewitt with Doctor Larry Arnn on a special Hillsdale dialogue about our 250th birthday. Welcome back America. I'm Hugh Hewitt with Doctor Larry Arnn. A special edition of Hillsdale Dialogue devoted to our 250th birthday. Doctor Arnn, I want to remind everyone Revolutionary America is the movie that Hillsdale made that begins in 1763 and goes all the way through the framing of the Constitution. You can find it on streaming platforms. You can find it in theaters, perhaps even on this weekend. It is magnificent. You ought to do it. It ought to be seen by every student in America and their parents and teachers. Um, George Washington was not present when the declaration was voted on July 4th or signed on August 2nd. I don't know if you know this doctor. on. There's a big celebration of signing day in put in Bay in Ohio, because the war with the Brits really end up being finished off at the Battle of Lake Erie in 1813. And it's a 40 years war. But Washington was not there for the Declaration of Independence. He was in the field, but had there been no Washington, there would have been no 10th anniversary, no 50th, 100th, 150th, no bicentennial, no. Two 50th. Why was Washington the indispensable man?
S3: Well, it's because he performed right. He was picked because he looked like he might, you know. And who else did? He was a very good looking man. You know, big tall man wore his uniform to the Continental Congress on the day he was picked. But then what did he prove in the war? First of all, he was personally extremely brave. He left brave people open mouthed things he did on the battlefield, sometimes with his amazing calmness under direct fire, sometimes with his energy and loud voice. And he whipped the troops to turn around. Fight at the Battle of Monmouth, at the Battle of Princeton. He led them, not knowing, according to his adjutant, whether anybody was following him or not, right into the British. And they. It was amazing, right? So he had courage. The second thing was he had moderation. Uh, George Washington, we could not stand toe to toe with the British for most of the Revolutionary War. We were not drilled. Uh, uh, and so what he did was figure out a strategy, you know, step by step, because he learned while he went of using the fact of the land and that we were at home and they were not to consume time. and the British Army. Another quality he had was, uh. He. Because he was so self-restrained. What I think is Washington, if you put all the stories you know together about Washington, he he was a very explosive individual, and he kept it under control. And people would see flashes of it and think there's a volcano in there. But it only got out when he wanted it to. And they trusted him because of that. They watched him suffer alongside them. He had amazing endurance. Uh, at Valley Forge in our Revolutionary America film. That's very well told. It's comparable what the troops did at Valley Forge because they they didn't have any. Some of them were just living with a spare blanket around them. And it was a hard winter and they were freezing. And they didn't have food. They were starving. right. And George Washington and Martha Washington came to the camp and brought food, passed it out. And and, uh, Washington is constantly he was a man of immense dignity, but also he was constantly pleading with the Congress on behalf of the troops. And we weren't very well organized. We didn't feed them properly or support them properly until long after the war. Uh, and so he had that right. And then finally at the end, he was bold. He was bold from time to time, but especially in the battle of Yorktown because, uh, the only time in the war he did this, uh, he got the French Navy off the coast of Virginia. Yorktown, where in Virginia. And he could never rely on them. They were allies, but they'd run off down to the West Indies and tech stuff down there. The. That the French had down there, and he never knew for sure whether they're going to show up or not. And he had a French army that would come and go. And so he got Cornwallis bottled up at Yorktown, and the French Navy won a battle. And the British Navy couldn't relieve them. And then he had. And he put every resource at his disposal. He put every man. He put all his diplomatic arts. And he besieged, uh, Cornwallis at Yorktown and starved him out and, uh, repelled many attempts to break out. And that's the one place where he risked everything. And that's the final, important battle. Because that's where he won the Revolutionary War.
S2: I don't know if it's apocryphal. Is it apocryphal that when George II heard, he laid down his command and went back to his farm, that he declared then that he is the greatest man in the world? Is that apocryphal, or is that true?
S3: Well, it's, uh, so that's a it's the question. The answer to that is slightly tangled, because it's a very old story from the time. And so, uh, and it's a very persistent story, but you can't quite find the source. And that's because he's George the third is said to have said to the Prime Minister who said to him, sire, you have to call a peace conference. And it took forever to get that call and then forever to get the peace concluded. Uh, such as it was, as you say, it went on till 1813. Uh, and, uh, George the Third is reported to have said, uh, George Washington will not know how to be a king. He will be a tyrant, and they will want me back. So in other words, he's making the deduction from history that conquerors become kings. Yep. Right. And and, uh, the Prime Minister replies, I understand that General Washington has retired from the Army and gone home to his farm. George the Third is reported to have said, uh, if he did that, he's the greatest man in the world. And he was he was the greatest man in the world.
S2: We'll pause there. We'll be back for one more segment with Doctor Arnn on this special. Enjoy this weekend. Coming up this this 250th anniversary. They are anniversaries of this significance are few and far between. I hope you have something more planned than hot dogs and fireworks. If you can get out and see revolutionary America. I hope it's still in the theaters, but you'll find it on a streaming platform somewhere. I'll come back with the question for Doctor Arnn. Will there be a 500th? I don't even know what we call that Quincentennial. We'll find out. Stay tuned. Welcome back America. I'm Hugh Hewitt all things hillsdale@hillsdale.edu. Don't forget Revolutionary America, their movie about from 1763 until the ratification of the Constitution. Therein is the story of our 250th anniversary of our birthday. Doctor Arnn, we, you and I have lived through the bicentennial, and now the 250th will be long gone to our reward. Meet our maker before the 500th. If there is one, do you think there will be a quincentennial?
S3: Uh. The future, though imminent, is obscure. And so, you know, you can't know the future. You can know a little bit about the present. You can know a lot about the past. And from those you can deduce eternity. Uh, so long as there is in nature, the laws of nature and of nature's God will prevail. And that means as long as there are humans, the Declaration of Independence cannot pass away. Might be we'll lose our country. Might be a million things might happen. But that cannot change. And That's, uh, you know, in a, in his greatest speech on the 150th anniversary of the declaration. Calvin Coolidge and the penultimate paragraph talks about change, how much change there is and how much advance there is in America. You know, in 1926, he says, uh, if all men are created equal, that is final. Final. If they are endowed by their creator with inalienable rights, that is final. From those principles, there is no advance possible. There is only going backwards.
S4: But we could.
S2: Is there another place on the planet poised to succeed with that principle set as we have succeeded with that principle set? I mean, we overcame enslavement, we won the Civil War. We won two great world wars. We won the Cold War. We're in the Cold War two. Is there another place on the planet that you think has the stuff of which the declaration was made here and made more perfect here.
S3: But one hopes for Africa, which is growing very much, and which is not so well organized as the West. But just remember that the principles are, you know, they're perfect. The principles. We're not in potential anywhere, right? I mean, right now, if you look at the world, it's a problem, right? Uh, uh, China is the most well, India. India is a bright spot, I hope. Yes, I pray for it has a representative form. You know, it's a massive big old mess of of a country, the most populous country now and also young. It's going to keep growing. Uh, but it has representative institutions and that's good. And, uh, so in privacy. But you should remember, since we saluting America. America is right now impossible absent an apocalypse because there isn't a new world unsettled.
S4: That's.
S2: It has been settled. We got here just in time. Doctor Larry Arnn, have a happy 250th celebration at Hillsdale. Thank you for this special on our 250th birthday, America. I'll talk to you on Monday on the next Hugh Hewitt show.
S1: Thanks for listening to the Hillsdale Dialogues, part of the Hillsdale College Podcast Network. More episodes@podcast.hillsdale.edu or wherever you find your audio. For more information about Hillsdale College, head to hillsdale.edu.