S1: In this standalone episode, I'm talking to my great friend, Andrew Ringlein. So Andrew and I have known each other since junior high, and he is one of the absolute smartest people I know. But somehow, he's managed to keep a low profile until now. And I think this conversation will be the first part of changing that. So Andrew is working in the crypto space and we go on regular walks around the local lake and we talk about work in tech and life and whatever. And we just had one of these walks last week where I asked him a simple question What does he see as the intersection of gaming and crypto? Andrew is a lifelong gamer and he is active in the crypto space as well. So the resulting hour long conversation was something I just knew I had to record, and that is what this conversation is. So with that, here's Andrew Ringland on crypto gaming and business. So, Andrew, good to see you. We had this amazing conversation walking around the lake the whole time I was walking. My phone was in my pocket and I was worried that if I tried to record it, it would just sound like crap. But the whole time we were talking, I was like, Damn, I really wish I was recording this because I feel like we're going to forget everything. And then we basically said, OK, we just need to do this again on a podcast. So we're going to do our best to reproduce that, and it'll probably be a little kludgy, but we'll make an attempt.
S2: So thanks for having me.
S1: Yeah, absolutely. So I'll give a proper intro to you before this, so we'll just jump right into the conversation. And I think the question that I asked was basically, how did you see crypto interacting with gaming? They understand you have a leader in question as well. I guess we can do both list of yours first.
S2: Well, mine is very similar to yours. You had said something like, how do you see this? But but you also basically said, why? Right? Like, why? Like, why? Why does it matter? And I don't have it. In my view, the question which is three years ago, I work in a company and we launched a rewards currency inside an app, and a number of salespeople hit the up and said, Hey, listen. Turn your reward currency to blockchain and cryptocurrency, and I came to you and I talk to you about it. And I said, Is there anything here? I'm missing? Is there any reason this should be decentralized? And I got on the phone with three different sales reps and had them describe to me what they would do. They would they would give us money. They would years. And I kept asking the question of why, like, why should we change our reworked currency to crypto? And I did not get an answer that was anything other than it'll stick the word blockchain next to your company and you'll be caught right? There was nothing that some gave and I talked to three sales reps who were trying to convince me to use their blockchain. And I said, why? And I got no answer. And I kind of feel like the world is asking why. And at the wake, I think you also kind of said to me, you said, why? Like why? Why does it matter? And I didn't have an answer for years ago. No one else had an answer for years ago. And I think now now the answers are starting to emerge that the wider story.
S1: OK. And so what is the answer?
S2: Well, so the answer is, is a longer one because there's actually a bunch of lies. And I'd say that the first one is kind of the simplest to talk about, which is the the change to the financial model in crypto and crypto gaming. If we look back at gaming and we talk about the evolution from the very early days of pay to play into free to play, that was a really big revolution that people were very resistant to. And people said why? And people said, that's terrible, right? But then it got proven that it's actually a better model, and one of the reasons that free to play is a better model and pay to play is you're only paying for what you want, right? As a consumer, I can go and I can play 20 games, not pay anything fine one game I like and I can spend all my money on that one game that makes left the cream right at the top. It means that the game that is successful can make a lot more money than the games that are not successful.
S1: So basically, there's more experiments because there are more people playing more games.
S2: Well, it does allow for more experience because it also allows free to play, makes it easier to try to go market something, changes the marketing and changes the monetization. Because now I can go get a user to try and be a lot more easily convincing someone to spend three dollars. It's hard convincing someone to look at a button is easy. So it's very easy to innovate and experiment and try to find something that can be good. And then all the money is being spent on the ones that are good. And so all of gaming, I mean, not quite all of it, but the vast majority of money in gaming has moved to free to play. Can you go back 10 years? And it's a very toxic idea. If people didn't like it, it's like, Oh, this is just a cash grab. Right? But now you look at, you know, the largest games are already looking at like Fortnite and look at League of Legends, and they're free to play
S1: anywhere because everyone's saying that about crypto, that it's a giant cash grab.
S2: Right? It's the exact same thing. And so the evolution from pay to play to free to play was an evolution that that aligned the financial incentives better and play to earn. And crypto gaming actually does that again. And it does that probably a little bit more than free to play it, and it's catching on much, much faster than free to play there because the difference is greater, right? Free to play. Let's just say free to play is twice as good of a model. Well played earns probably like four times as good of a model so that the speed of adoption is even faster.
S1: OK, so play to earn you think is the next iteration past free to play?
S2: Yeah, from a from a financial model standpoint, yeah,
S1: I think so. Finance model. So financial model is one axis and then you have other things like UGC, how does that play into this?
S2: Yeah. So so I think there's actually like five different things that for crypto gaming are kind of multiplying its speed of adoption and its importance. And if we just go backwards for one second, just talk about like what's happened recently. Just so people can understand implications. What's happened recently is back in July, a single game went and launched their play to earn component, and this game was called exclusivity. And this game company is worth about $14 billion today and fourteen billion dollars devoid of caps. It's not worth that, but that's sort of what's worst blizzard, which is the preeminent preeminent IP, most significant third third largest gaming company in the world and the single largest acquisition ever in U.S. history, which it acquired because of blockchain. Why did that happen? It happened because of Axiom. Infinity came out of nowhere and is suddenly on everyone's radar. And after Axie Infinity sort of showed a superior financial model, five of our games came along and did the exact same thing. And so when a when a Yahoo like me can make a phone call and suddenly talk to a CEO who has got a billion dollar company because he did something three months earlier? It's bizarre, it's accelerated the speed of these game companies growth. So every game company is now thinking, OK, what do I do that is this new model? It's much, much faster than the free to play option. It's what drove the Microsoft user acquisition. It's also what drove Facebook renaming itself. So the financial implications of this in the gaming world are being seen by these other companies. And they're all trying to rapidly move as fast as they can to adopt it. And that's just the sort of the proof behind that, that first change.
S1: So that first change, are we talking strictly about? Quickly being able to raise money for a new idea.
S2: That that is one of the implications, I think, inside of that, that model change because basically a new game has capacity to earn more money more quickly. It's the same thing as like a free to play acceleration, right? A free to play game for more users work quickly. These are not trying to get them to pay money, for instance, that same type of multiplier.
S1: Well, what one is getting more users quickly. But I thought we were talking about like launching like an NFT, for example, to gain a bunch of capital to be able to hire developers.
S2: It does do that, too. Yes. So it changes the model. So there's more, more cash upfront earlier on. And it also changes that same model. When you look at Axie Infinity, this is a terrible game. It's like a knock off, very poor, bad experience of Pokemon. It's nothing near as good as, let's say, Pokemon Go, which Pokemon Go was a craze out of a kind of a great new game system, right? That just swept the world. This is the lamest and dumbest game that has come out in any major way anytime recently. But if someone were to ask me, Hey, what's actually in of these prospects, I would say it's great because they just put all the money in the world in the bank, and everybody knows with their IP is they have done the thing you're describing, which they basically do to fundraise on a kind of bad game. Now they can iterate on that game and they can invest a lot of capital in making better versions of the game. And in one year, they're going to have games that are better than Pokemon Go because they have all this money.
S1: So what is the engine that's driving it? How is it? How is it surviving for six months or a year? Like what's keeping it afloat?
S2: Yes, I think that goes to some of the other other elements that are happening so should move forward to the first one is like the financial models change. Sure, sure. So so I think the second one is the change of people who are involved in something and turning them into owners of that faith. And I have a funny story about our background. I use an iPhone where an iPhone family and I have five kids and a wife and every one of us has some kind of Apple device. And the reason we have Apple devices is because of you, because many years ago you dragged me into a, you know, an Apple store and you bought me an iPhone because you're a man who influences people, write you. You basically have like a an attachment to Apple, and you shared and dragged me along that attachment spread to other people in marketing. This is called also being an app, and it's also being an influencer right near that, whether in a podcast or in person, you do the same thing with people all around. Mm-Hmm. Well, when you when you take something like a game and you actually give people an ownership stake in it by giving them a thing that they can then transfer and own and can change in value, you turn people far more into being mavin through your product, being influencers, free product, being stakeholders, having a reason to get other people to do it. So one of the shocking things is this game that is terrible. Axie Infinity actually has longer play times, higher growth than other conventional games because they have turned every single person who owns any piece of it, who owns an NFT. Who's playing this game into an advocate for it? And so they are they're weaponizing their own owners and their own community members to go and recruit more people because they all share that benefit together in the same emotional way that you advocate for for Apple. When you bought me and I thought you didn't have a stake, that right?
S1: So I don't know much about this game. Can I offer like a cynical approach to this? Is it just that it is free to play, to earn? Therefore, it's an income generation system. Therefore, a lot of people are making money off of it, so they're excited about it for that reason.
S2: Here's the really fascinating thing. Yes, yes and no. So there's another restriction that isn't just to earn. So what warcraft a game dear to my heart I played for a very long time has a much better earning engine than actually infinity. If you were to go and basically buy a five dollar asset in World of Warcraft and know how to use that asset correctly, you can make between one to $200 a day on that asset. And that's the exchange, the way people think about I own that, I own the thing I own property, what moneys that you bring for me. So the money being generated from a job in World War Craft is like 25 percent per day of the value that I set. If you go and buy a team for accidentally, it costs $100 and it generates about $35 dollars a day. So the people who are working in this, so people in the U.S. are buying the assets and then they're farming out the jobs to other countries, like in East Asia. But the income per job is much, much worse than will work out. Well, what's the difference then between Acxiom theory and will work out why is actually infinity engaging people more and being more viral? And the reason is it's allowed. And apparently, when you make something of black market item like in World of Warcraft and you, there's a risk hanging over your head. People don't build businesses and do jobs out of that. So what a work. The simple idea that Blizzard never approved these types of transactions. They're still happening on a black market, but that disapproval, that complexity made it so people, not as many people are doing it as a job, even though it pays better. Whereas once you approve it and you say, you know what? This is the difference between like, are you a taxi driver? But you're looking over your shoulder constantly to see if cops are going to stop you and take away your taxi? Hmm. But you can earn a hundred times more if you're a black market taxi driver or are you a legitimate taxi driver or legitimate Uber and you're allowed to actually operate? And so when they made it, you're allowed to operate in this fashion that that was the change, even though the mechanisms to make money were already there. One is legal and one is essentially illegal.
S1: Didn't you have another example of this with a Fortnite mod or a Minecraft mod?
S2: Yeah, so if we go back to the origin of battle royales and we go back to the origin of MOBAs, both of these things were created by communities will get that probably later in this example as well. But Minecraft as a game did not allow people to monetize external from Minecraft itself for a long time until Microsoft bought them. And one of the things that happened was someone created, innovated a new type of game that was revolutionary, and I remember watching some of the very first Hunger Games and battles they were. They were battle rails. They were inspired from the movie Hunger Games. Mm-Hmm. You weren't to modifies them, right? So somebody made this mod and they gave it away for free. Now, when you're when you're making something, you're giving away for free and you can't monetize it. You you're not putting incentives in the right place. Right? It's like a weed startup companies b start companies. If they couldn't make any money, would pharmaceutical please make drugs if they couldn't, you know, benefit them? Afterwards, somebody went. And with no perceived long term benefit when it created Hunger Games mod in Minecraft, made no money on it. And then a bunch of people realized waits is way better, and then lots of different games started coming out following that same formula. And that led us up to Fortnite, which is one of the juggernauts now is literally a knock off of this mod now who made The Hunger Games mod? I have no idea. Did they make any money? No. So they did not drive innovation in the way it should have. If the incentive had been in a better place.
S1: Hmm, interesting. OK, so that's two. What's number three?
S2: So number three is the difference in the way these companies are interacting with their communities. So. When you when you look at a conventional game publisher like EA or we're at a games. So, you know, I talk a lot to Epic Games back before they became big with Fortnite, and they attempted to be very focused on their community and influencers. Once they got big, they kind of stopped. They were trying to, but they stopped. You go to the EEA and you say, Hey, I've got something that relates to your community. Hey, let's do something great with your community. They're going to be free to internet of a conventional game company right now is built on the idea that I'm going to go market. I'm going to get users and I try to maximize the value of most users. And if I can do anything to maximize my value, I'm going to do that thing. How do I make the most money from my people and how do I get more people? And that's where their brains are at. When you go to all the crypto gaming companies that exist right now, they're very different. The CMO for Gallo Games lives inside of their discord and talks to people all day long. So I went and met him at Decentral, which was a defy convention in Florida three months ago. And I said to him, Hey, what's the most important thing in your company? And his answer wasn't how good my game is. His answer wasn't how much money we make per user. His answer wasn't our user acquisition. His answer was our community. Most important thing to us is our community. This is a guy who the CMO of this now 10 plus billion dollar company. He lives all day long in discord. It's like his desk is sitting in front of a glass window that has a test. A testing group going on inside of it, which is constantly testing everything they're doing. And he is watching that nonstop. He is completely plugged into the community, as is everybody in the company. And if I say to him, Hey, listen, I've got a technique that will add 30 percent more to your monetization, but you know your community may not like it. He would laugh in my face and say, like, Are you kidding me? We don't do things like, you know, you just like all these crypto companies because there is a an absence of ability to market conventionally right now for crypto games. They have been built from this fundamental idea of We are games for communities. Our users are our mavens. Therefore, they must be happy. This is like if Apple said, Hey Dan, do you want me to charge you? X amount more for an Apple product? Right? And all they care about how much money they get from you? Or do you want Apple to call you and say, Hey, hey, Dan, what was going to make your experience with the iPhone better? Hmm. Right? These are companies that are built fundamentally from the idea of how do we keep our community engaged? How do we listen to our communities? How do we be responsive? And because they're built that way? The occurrences I mentioned earlier League of Legends of being a mobile and battery owls like Fortnite being a. Being a battle royale, those things were invented by communities and ignored by game developers for years. Hmm. It's very slow adoption. The crypto gaming world does not ignore its community. They are the most hyper responsive to community companies, their art. It is fundamental in their DNA, and I do believe that as they're getting bigger and bigger, they're not going to lose that in their DNA. And I do believe that that is a massive competitive advantage because they're actually listening to the consumer in a deep way that that other people are not.
S1: So is this because in this world, essentially those folks are not just users, they're also marketers and they're also creators.
S2: That's right. Yeah, which which will lead us to our first point of the greater part as well. But that is exactly right because you're you're consumers. Are everything right? I think one of the ways that ticktalk has managed to be even more viral than YouTube is not only is it giving you access to UGC, but it's actually taking everybody who watches TikTok and makes it really, really easy to pull you in as a creator yourself, right? Or try to involve the individual. And when my kids bring TikTok home and they go, Oh, look at this new TikTok. What they do, they they go filmed themselves doing the same thing. They've now flipped it around and now they're bringing all their friends and they're recruiting and they're becoming those advocates for that software that has helped drive TikTok. Well, that's true of all of these CryptoGames in an even deeper fashion, because not only are you essentially part of creation, but you're also part of ownership. And that transformation in the way that people are involved has made these companies recognize, OK, you know, community is the most important thing. And now when Blizzard and Facebook come along and try to play in this in this arena, they haven't grown up from that DNA, right? They they have people who are over here thinking about how do I maximize my user experience? How do I get the most money from people? How do I make this so I can have the best marketing campaigns there? Their old world mindset is not going to change that easily to thinking instead, Hey, I need to be sitting in a room with a thousand people who are who are my advocate and my users right now and all the time. That is a fundamental different DNA that I do not see in these major companies that I do see in all of the crypto companies. And I think it's going to give them a long term competitive edge. It's temporary because actually the rest of the world might change that model to eventually. So this is not an implicit like inherent persistent advantage, but it's certainly an advantage it's going to carry forward for a few years.
S1: Interesting. And so number four is creators.
S2: Yeah. So creators, right? We've seen this with YouTube. We've seen this with tech talk that the ability to have UGC means that you're not limited by like a company's creativity, like CBS is limited by your own creativity. Right? Once you add UGC, you multiply the amount of content you multiply the variety of that content and people go find out better and more in his ways of showing and doing things. So YouTube is just a better model from the UGC standpoint than, let's say, you know, like television. Mm-Hmm. As we can see, just like a caucus now when it comes to game creation. Right? Minecraft had a model that said for a long time and a model that said, Hey, you can come and build games out of Minecraft, but you can't monetize them. So the incentive to do it was very low. People still did it right. People still created. What turned into now is Fortnite, but they didn't. They didn't reaping the benefits. Well, if you look at the sandbox, which is one of the games right now that exists, they're mostly a toolkit to help people make their own games. This is can magnify the capacity for innovation because now all those people who used to go mod games for every other game are going to say, Well, do I want to go make them on my free game where it's really hard to be a monetized? If I want to monetize off of Minecraft Mod, it's actually not super easy. You can do it now. Now they've adjusted so you can do it, but it's still not very easy. You want to go and do something out of the sandbox. You have much more tools available to you to make something that is unique, and you immediately own the vast majority of the benefit. Right? How much money does the sandbox make when I go invent a game that's really a structured sandbox? It's like five percent. Almost all the money is going straight to the creators of those games, and this is the same kind of model that is happening for all across in piece. The minting platforms and the infrastructure are taking very little, but they're facilitating and they're enabling people to actually create UGC and benefit from it on YouTube. You know, you can benefit from your UGC. It's actually pretty hard to make a living because YouTube is still keeping the vast majority of the money right. Most of the advertising dollars go to YouTube at a very small amount goes to video creators. In this case that that model is pushed much more extreme, where ninety five percent of all the money from anybody who's trading anything goes straight to the creators, which creates a much bigger incentive for them to create things. And those things have a lot more flexibility, maybe just from the past.
S1: So we talked about Ready Player One in the past. It seems like, I mean, the sandbox, essentially like an SDK for how to that
S2: system would create the. Yeah, exactly right in the in the Ready Player One, you don't see the mechanisms behind the floor with Ready Player One Metaverse is that it was all owned by one company. And in the reality, metaverse is emerging what it would be a. Be one company who created the tools, but each of the world in Ready Player One would actually be owned by somebody else. Yeah, right. And that world would be like, Hey, listen, I own the world of doom, right? Doom was by, I think, one of the world's. MM-HMM. And I'm getting 95 percent of the value out of doom or doom was owned by a lot of people. It's actually spread out in terms of ownership. And there is there's a company that has that created infrastructure, but it's decentralized as possible. I think it's the one piece that was missing from Ready Player One that if you could go back and say, how will that actually be in the future? It's actually going to be okay. All those various worlds are owned by individuals. And ironically, that if the if that core infrastructure company, you know, went out of business or started being exploitative, those worlds would go somewhere else because the worlds are actually portable.
S1: Uh, yeah, is it is funny. Just kind of reminds me of some Soviet leader came over, I think, in the 1980s to tour the US and was walking around, I think New York City or something and just saw all these markets outside on the street. And he looked to his chaperone and said, Tom, show me the planner who came up with this, this is amazing. And they're like, No, no, all the different markets, they just put out their stuff whenever they want. Well, it's like, who decides what to put out? And they're like, No, it's all up to them.
S2: Yeah, yeah. Right, exactly. Yeah.
S1: Yeah. Very cool.
S2: Yeah, actually, that transitions really well into kind of my fifth point, which is persistence and decentralization. Right? We're talking about the Ready Player One model, right? Uh, well, in in the Web3 world right now, there's a lot of people who are kind of A. Big Brother A. Facebook for whatever happens to attract those people. But there is actually a really super element to crypto gaming that can make it way more persistent, and I can give a couple examples of this. But first, we can start with the Ready Player one example. The Ready Player One example is, let's just say IOI from the movie takes over and takes over the entire metaverse. And they say, Hey, guys, we're gonna put up ads everywhere, right? And all these are ago. Yeah, we don't want to have that experience. Well, what happens to the person who's created the doom world is the doom world is its own body of code. It doesn't maybe have an interpretation of the K, but it actually has its own group of users. It has its own community, and what they can do is say, You know what? We're going to unplug doom from your work, your system, because you're showing all these ads and that's shitty, and we're going to go plug it into the competitor viewers that just made this just kind of copy too much of your SDK elements. And if teams are essentially infinitely transferable, it's not. Doom is going to pick up its entire entire body and walk over here and plug into a different system. And that new infrastructure could offer a competitive edge. And you guys know, ads ad free and all of those worlds pick up and walk over, and Iowa is they're going, Wait, hey, guys, wait. But we're the ones who started all this doesn't matter. Right? This is a decentralized, persistent ownership that can be transferable. You can transfer the entirety of the assets. And there's an interesting example I have of this. There is an NFT project that one of my colleagues is involved in. I guess maybe all of singer name because this is super disparaging, but they basically the guys ran off with all the the money that was generated insanity project and they're supposed to be building a game and they have really engaged community. Well, they raised a bunch of money. They took the money and then they left right called a rental. It happens a lot in the NFT project, right? Well, a different group came along and said, Hey, guys, you know what? We like this community. We like this NFT project. We know where the money got take out, but whatever we'll take over the project or we'll clone the project. Hey, everybody out there who already has this thing on the blockchain? You know what? We're going to issue a new thing for you on this other and this other chain we're going to. We're going to give it to you, and we're just going to migrate all you guys over here. And hey, you know what? We're going to take care of you. We're going to do cool stuff that they're talking about.
S1: We created a new rug. We're going to put it under your feet that look just like the old rug that got stolen.
S2: Right, exactly. And they can do that very easily because the technology allows that kind of transfer an interesting replication. And so you can actually, you know, I could go make a game that is a racing game right now. And then I could say, Hey, by the way, guys, gala games has this game called spider tanks where you go and you fight. And I love the way they've visualized all of their tanks and it's a super fun game. But, you know, I really want to race things and they won't answer the phone. So I went made my own racing game and everybody who owns a spider tank gallon games, I've just issued you one of my one of my race cars and I've inspired it off of the art from whatever it was you already had. It's portable and it's persistent. Something can die. Bard's tale can go out of business. Gallon games can close their spider tanks. I can put up ads and those assets are portable and transferable, and it's it allows for a type of persistence that means that these things won't die. This is why people are obsessed with this, this real estate and obsessed with kind of the digital. I can only own a piece of digital real estate because it'll be persistent. Even the company issuing a ghost business, that real estate is still there and someone else will use it in the same way.
S1: This is fascinating. I think we talked about the biology stuff, the Web3 stuff, the Sam Harris podcast, where biology was on there and talking about it. This to me, what you're talking about is very Web3, and he's talking about in in the context of meat space. And like, you know, the city of Austin gets a CEO instead of a mayor. Right? And they say, OK, here's our tax law. Here's our traffic laws. Here's how you get fines. Here's how you get stoplight, you know, tickets or whatever. And like, here's our system and you decide to be part of it or not. And you have a competing one over here in Houston. Yep. And the idea is that you, you vote with your feet or whatever. In this case, more digitally. But it seems like it's kind of the same thing you're saying. It's like, I love this damn world, except for, I hate the rules over here. So someone just forks it. And now it's it's it's almost the same, but slightly different because these these different rules are different.
S2: Yeah, this idea of voting with your feet is so powerful, I think, in all of crypto, right? But beginning, it's sort of like the front end of the sphere. Here is the the place that has the most money and the most users and the most engaged. So it'll be the particle transformation. But yeah, it's the same thing is actually voting with your feet is the same thing that made free to play better than pay to play. Right now, you can vote more accurate with your feet because you're actually spending money where you want to, not just to try a thing, but for thing that is actually proving more long term value and then play to earn is allow you to vote your feet in a more long term way of like, Hey, first, I can try things for free. Typically, then I can spend money where I care about it, but then that money where I care about it could both give back to me and be persistent and can be transferable. And so there now becomes like all these different ways to vote with your feet that we didn't have before, and that magnifies your level of engagement and magnifies you doing the right thing out of it. So now the people who are involved here start getting the things they care about, and we've removed a big brother who's deciding what you care about. And now we've turned it into, Hey, what are the actual people saying they care about?
S1: Yeah, it's really fascinating. I mean, it does start to get pretty libertarian pretty quickly, because what it's talking about is competition, right? You have a game. It's like it makes you mostly happy, but you really hate this one thing. You're just going to play another version of that game where that thing's fixed. Yup.
S2: Yeah. Because it's because it is the sort of the decentral. This is the fifth point. Decentralization and the persistence right enables. The decentralization allows it to be like no one person decides it can lock you into an experience, right? Can lock your assets into one place because there is a portable and the biggest companies right now in the gaming space. They know this. So if you go to the sandbox for Gallo games, these are two of the, let's say, six biggest companies out there right now that are already established in the in the crypto gaming world. They play super nice together. In fact, like they really, really want to be friends because they recognize that they have to actually have, like sort of friends and collaboration and communities, and it's all about playing together. They can't stick out their territory. Like, does Facebook go and call Microsoft and say, Hey, guys, we want to figure out how we can play better and nicer together. We want all of our stuff to crossover. We should know. They're putting up fences and trying to stake out their territory, right? Games and sandbox are inspired by each other. And when a new thing comes out, Hey, hey, this new thing? Hey, can we do this thing together?
S1: So what do you think games do relative to, you know, that's different than sandbox is exactly the same? Or is that a different take?
S2: It's actually a very different take. So Galaga games started out by they were a bunch of guys who basically had made Farmville, and they're like, Well, Farmville was a great free play game. Play to earn is better. Let's go make Farmville in crypto game and they went and made Farmville in crypto gaming. So we started out with a single sort of proven game model. It wasn't ideal and they started up again and then he realized, OK, this is actually better, so let's do more games. And so they started hiring independent game publishers with their money, and they started building up games. And they basically their approach was to go and individually themselves or contract to build different games and then have a bunch of games all under the banner. So they are much more of a hey, we have like six games in development, like three you can play right now. So they went and built individual sandbox style tools to build games and built this metaverse component. So they're playing together right now because gal games like we have all these games, we have no metaverse and we have tools to make games. Sandbox is like we have a metaverse and we have tools to make games. Let's play nice with delegates. And so they're, you know, sort of being friends trying to connect these things back and forth of Mexican, so.
S1: So if we oversimplify. A sandbox has the ecosystem and go games has the initial content
S2: they have, they have some initial content they made themselves, they didn't do it at UGC. So they have a number of they had a faster way to go to market. They did was easier, but it wasn't really as transformative as Sandbox was doing because they just want made games in this new model without trying to increase that isa. So they skipped Item four, which was you. Gotcha. It did make them go to market faster, but I think they're aware that they missed that piece. They did this launch a new thing that is also UGC So they obviously know they're going to start filling in those gaps.
S1: OK, so what are the five again altogether?
S2: So the five are the change to the model, right? That illusion from from a free to play and to play to, erm, the financial model, the the the ability to sort of bring more money upfront and the change to the way users are paying and spending and the change the financial model is the first one. The second one is the way that you involve your owners and your players and your margins and your influencers into actual ownership and you turn them into advocates the way that you know you're an advocate for Apple. Right? That happens automatically, much more powerful. You give somebody something. You give them a stake in something. They are way more likely to think of it positively and recruit others. Mm-Hmm. The second one is that the change in the model of ownership by bringing people into the ownership.
S1: And third one,
S2: the third one is the fact that these companies right now have a temporary advantage of being fundamental community DNA companies where they listen to their communities. They're hyper responsive to feedback because of one and two, right makes number three make a lot of sense to them. I don't know how long it will take for the other companies like Metta and Microsoft to change their entire DNA. To be like that, it might never happen. So all of the existing companies that are that have grown up inside of crypto gaming have this fundamental DNA that is, let's listen to our community, which is a great practice for any company and quadrupling a great practice for companies that are in crypto game.
S1: OK, so finance mavens community and was four and five.
S2: Fourth is UGC. Right. And not only just the ability to create UGC, but the ability to incentivize that. UGC And most of the money goes to the UGC creators. That's the creators of the world do make 95 percent of the money, right? This is an improvement over the other models for UGC. They're out there that you know you can make YouTube videos. What only one thing you can do on YouTube. You can record yourself and you make, you know, 25 percent of what what is coming in from advertising for this gaming is actually got more money behind it, more user behind it. Ninety five percent goes to the U.S. creators, and the amount of flexibility that UGC is much, much greater. OK. And then the fifth one is that decentralization and persistence, the fact that you can port something from here to here, I can leverage spider tanks, oh, I can't kind of come in to control the whole thing. So your actual ownership of is more true because because it is decentralized.
S1: So would you say that's the closest to what three is number five?
S2: With. Yeah, I think the persistence and decentralization ownership, that's one of the key elements of, you know, cryptocurrency as well, no one can take down my currency that you know, that I earn on on bitcoin. So I think that's the most conventional sort of web theory of blockchain.
S1: Interesting. So question for you about examples. I love your example. I know you're a huge Disney fan. Can you talk through like what Disney should have done or what they still can do with, like issuing some sort of NFT with like special powers and like how it feeds into all five of your models?
S2: Yeah, so well, with with this, let's talk about Disney Plus. So now these five things these five things or these are what existing crypto gaming. And so when we jump over to Disney Plus, we're going be talking about just entertainment rights and all of that exactly the same. But but if you love this example, so Disney Plus, I'm a huge fan of Disney Disney. You know, I love Star Wars. I love Marvel movies. My kids all love all princess movies. I love Pixar movies. This is like four of the best types of content there is. So when they announced Disney Plus, I'm like, OK, I'm in. I am going to own Disney Plus for my entire life. There is no chance that I won't. I know that the second it gets announced that no matter almost no matter how much they even charge, they charge four dollars a month. I would still own Disney Plus. If they charge one hundred, I would probably still own Disney Plus. It relates to all five of my kids, myself, my wife. It is of great importance and I believe it is going to do very, very well. I'm like Disney Plus is these are the kings of content. Remember, we called it. Yeah, I said, this is going to do extremely well. There's no prediction. It's going to be on the nose for a while is going to do it's going to get better and better over time. And they will win if they're going to be three winners. It's one of they will be one of those winners. So I would be willing to invest in Disney Plus if it was a carve out from Disney. Now, I don't know how successful Disney would be. And, you know, coronavirus can by kick the ass of their parks. But I knew and I was sure Disney Plus was going to be successful if Disney Plus had been modeled using this new blockchain. And they had said, Hey guys, we're going to take a page from the books of these other hyper growth, successful financial models. And we're going to we're going to launch a piece of Disney Plus. We're going to get an NFT and this NFT is going to be a VIP pass. And there's a lot of privileges we can add. And this is where Disney let's just keep it simple. First things first, this VIP pass is going to give you a lifetime subscription to Disney Plus, and you're going to own it and it's fully transferable. So this thing is going to cost a thousand dollars. Now, Disney Plus cost, is it six dollars an hour? I don't know, but that's a hundred months of Disney Plus. Mm hmm. Hey, we're going to sell four thousand dollars. We're going to do 100000 of these VIP passes for Disney Plus. Well, what would happen on day one? Prior to day one, I would have gone out about three. Right? Because I would have immediately invested in that micro opportunity because I was such a big believer in it. I would have bought 30 and I said, Hey, Dan, I'm going to sell these for a long time because I think the is going to go up. But if you want to watch Disney Plus having a loan, you one of mine. So here's one of my What am I going to VIP badges? So you can also watch Disney Plus. I'm going to let all my friends use my my things. I get to be cool for a while, but I also I believe that the value think significantly. So now there are there are 100000 of these things, right? They will sell out on day one, for sure. I bought 30 myself. People like I get to own a VIP lifetime pasta, always on Disney Plus. How many people are there who bought just like me? Quite a few. Which is why their numbers have blown up. They would have earned more money on day one than they have earned up to date so far. That's on day one. And it would not cannibalize their audience is actually a small percentage of their audience where they're charging a thousand dollars. Now what happens on day to on day two? You say to me, Hey, Andrew, did you notice that these things sold out instantly and their value was now doubled? I can't buy them anymore on the open market. They now cost two thousand. Will you sell me one of yours for fifteen hundred? And I go, Okay, sure, you're my friend. No problem. I will sell you one of my Disney VIP passes for fifteen hundred. I now make $500. Five percent. That transaction goes back to Disney. Wait. Disney just covered their monthly subscription fees for all my 30s and 40s that I have off of off of Vine. So they still are making their money. Now you also own something that is part of this future right now. Assuming they do this correctly and they don't go just print way more of these, their value goes up and up. And three months later, there are more and more people saying, Well, I want to have a lifetime pass for Disney Plus. And actually, if I'd been smart and I bought one, the value of that pass without before. The more people who do that, the more that the value was driven. And now I have I have twenty eight sell well passes that are all worth four thousand dollars. I go, You know what? I give some of my kids to college, so I'm going to go and liquidate 20 of these and I'm going to make 80 grand. I have now pocketed 50 grand. I've benefited personally off of the success of Disney Plus because I called it as an investor. I didn't it to be a Qualifié investor. There wasn't paperwork. There's not particularly like any complexity with doing that. So I've now made way more money than I invested in this thing. That was pretty reliable, and this would have would multiplied almost for sure. And I still have my life. A VIP for Disney Plus now, has Disney Plus lost anything? No, they're way ahead financially. They're getting residual income off of the secondary market sales, which is more than they would get off of subscriptions. I'm able to be able to signal that I'm a cook because I own a Disney VIP pass. I don't have to worry about paying that bill anymore because honestly, I was going to pay that bill for the rest of my life anyway. It's not going to happen. I still wanted to do this same thing. The MCU like, Hey, you know what? I buy a a one time ticket to go to a movie theater like, you know, and I can just go every single week. They keep trying to do this with subscription fees, but like they could do with an NFT and they could raise theatres, could do the same thing with a smaller people and actually raise a lot of money in the short run, puts money in their pockets and then they're still going make their money off a residual. Now, I don't know how long will be until a company like Disney can adapt to a new kind of model. But this model's been proven in the nifty world by people who aren't significant brands. And so my expectation is within two to five years, this will sweep through everything, right? And it's going to be now a hand in hand. OK, I'm watching Disney Plus. OK, what's the part that we're going to do that is persistent and decentralized and gives ownership out because I want to create all those advocates. I want to have more money upfront. You know, I want to be seen to be give back to my community. OK, that's half of it. And then what's the other half? Yeah. And how many years will be until it happens and happens everywhere? It's starting to happen, but it'll be slow because it's hard for people like Disney to go, OK, here's our conventional projection. We're using Disney Plus as using a model from tells you to like you to look at Netflix and see what Netflix do. They're not thinking, OK, what's this innovative thing that just changed the way money is flowing, the way users are engaged? That's not where people are at yet. Not yet, but gaming will lead the way for everything. And what's gaming does this, which is sort of starting to, you know, Metta and Microsoft and Blizzard? And you give us one more year in gaming and then two more years in gaming. This is going to sweep through and other gaming companies who don't adapters can be decimated because it's going to be so much superior in terms of its adoption. So a couple of years from now, you know, it's Fortnite will be doing this just like everybody else. All of gaming will do it. And then it'll become very easy for companies like Disney Plus to be like, Oh, wait, you know what? It works in gaming. Why wouldn't that work over here?
S1: Yeah. And I think you even had an example where somebody was trying to sell tickets to a club, to a deejay club or whatever and they like couldn't get any traction. They were talking to you about an NFT is and you're like, Why don't you just do this instead?
S2: Yeah. So so I know these guys and they have an event marketing company in Prague, and what they do is they go and they give out free tickets and they give out free tickets to different club events. And the reason they got free tickets is when you give out 300 free tickets to a club and a giant party happening at this club. Well, those three people will go and bring another 900 people right, and then they get a very small percentage of the door. So their job is to go out and get out 300 free tickets. So. So that's one thing where people show up to this club and then they get a small percent of the door and that's their model. And they're like, Yeah, we're always looking for ways to improve our model. I said, OK, well, you have a mailing list. You go out and give out tickets in person. You do these very things that these tickets out well, why don't you just sell the interests of these clubs costs $8000. So cost, you know, let's say it cost $10 to get in one door. Cost $7. Medicare cost $7 to get in one of these clubs. Mm hmm. Well, when you give out those theater tickets, people are happy because reading something free, you're turning them into your marketing and for free else. Why don't you take those people that you're regularly emailing? Take people that you're really going out and trying to get them to sign up and go to these these parties for free and actually offer those people hey, instead of one free tickets, I'm going to give you a free ticket to every party happening in Prague, in Prague, at one of these giant clubs, and they actually have one every night because they've been doing this event thing every night. So there are seven nights a week and people, you know, young people in the party love to go to clubs so you can go and say, Hey, by the way, it normally costs you seven dollars to get into one of these clubs doing one of these events because they're really cool. Hey, if you buy this thing right here, which costs $50, this is lifetime free lifetime. How many? How many of these parties do you go to per month? Is it? How often? How long is it until you get your money back? Right? And they said these people's return rate is super high and these people are going to one or two parties a week. Mm-Hmm. So in what month they will get their money back? Right? So you can say to them, Hey, guys, I could give you a free ticket or I can sell you a lifetime supply of free tickets. Every one of these parties you can go into and they can go out and they could sell a thousand or 2000 or 4000 of these. And it's the technology makes it very easy for me to do this, and that gives somebody a VIP pass to get in all these clubs. First of all, it's signaling it's cooler. They get to show up and be like,
S1: flash their pass and special line, whatever.
S2: Yeah, special line. I have a thing that, oh yeah, it's free for me forever. Wait, how do I go one of those? You can't. They're sold out. You want to buy mine? It costs you $500 because you can't even buy it. Sergeant more they go when they sell the first five hundred now that much money to them. Five hundred at fifty dollars to them is actually a giant sum of money compared to what they make as a percentage so they
S1: could upgrade their club. They could do a whole bunch of stuff, right?
S2: They do all kinds of things, did it through the marketing agency, drive people to clubs, but they could basically, they would not have to go. And market is much anymore because more people would own these VIP passes and they would have way more money upfront. Hmm. Now is there a problem in the long run with having a bunch of people who show up to these clubs and get them for free? No, it's their fundamental model anyway. They already want people show up for free. This goes back to our point number two of turning like owners and mavens and try to get people to bring other people. They're using that same kind of concept. This is magnifies it and actually lowers their workload. They could do this NFT, and they could not even do the rest of what stuff to do. They could literally just sell EMT and then say, You know what? We're done. The only thing we do is we get two percent of the door. You have a right to use our app at your door. They go to a club and say, Hey, by the way, we want 30 percent of the gate in exchange for you using our app, so now let's face gambling.
S1: This is crazy. So if somebody were to respond and say you're going to lose out because people are just going to be coming for free. That was the point in the first place
S2: was to get the. Right? Exactly. Yep, yeah, that's amazing, right? They were already trying to turn people into recruitment for other people, right? When I go to a party, I bring and I go to this club, I bring three friends. Yeah, right? It's the exact same model. And they just made it now. So it's easier to implement, right? So they're getting all kinds of utility here, actually gaining simplicity for business model like the actual business model that flows without as many humans. Again, a bunch of cattle up front and they have no problem. That's what they're doing. Now that simplicity means they can do this in Prague, and they can pick up their exact methodology and they can go to Paris and they can do the exact same thing. And how much effort is it going to go to this thing in Paris? They were going to in Prague when it's all based on selling out these, these adapters that give you VIP entrances. They walk into the clubs show what happened in Prague. Now it's really easy to replicate their business. So we take in business and made it easy to replicate through this technology innovation, giving them way more money. Now it's actually like right away, they'll have plenty of money to say, You know what? We're done here. Prague is running by itself. We're earning residuals on this. We're earning a percentage of gate. Let me go to Paris in.
S1: So, so the fundamental concepts of revenue generation initially combined with turning people into Melvins. These are kind of universal. I'm calling these like the ring line five or something.
S2: I think there's three that are better universal like for all crypto, right?
S1: Which is number three, also universal.
S2: It's not universal because it's an advantage that the crypto gaming companies have. So I don't know that it's universal. I mean, I don't know that bitcoin isn't over here. Like, are they being hyper responsive to community? I kind of doubt it because there is no bitcoin, right? There's so so I don't know. That number three is, is it true across all of Web3?
S1: OK, but a number of them are actually just true of like new ways of doing business, and they're just being spearheaded by gaming.
S2: Yeah, right. Spearheading has has more powerful like all these things multiply together, right? You take you take these five things, you know, they all multiply together. Gaming has these five powerful things multiplying together. That's why this is like since July of last year, one game has changed the whole gaming industry. And you could go and talk to any any game company and say, Hey, by the way, what are you doing for crypto? And what you're going to get is either pain, joy or fear because every single person is being dragged into conversations about crypto because they all have realized, Oh, wait a second, that the why has been proven the what the first y of like holy shit exchanges. All the money is enough, and now everyone's going to change. But a bunch of these same drivers are sure and all of you know, crypto, whether we talk about Disney Plus or, you know, ticketing or a lot of things, you're also crypto currency.
S1: Yeah, so that's what I love about this conversation is that I think what we figured out or I mean, I think you already knew and I already knew a little bit, but it became crystal clear in that conversation that. It's not about the tech, it's not about an NFT, it's not about a cryptocurrency. This is fundamentally changing how businesses operate, how they generate money, how they get people excited, super importantly, how content is created for them. It's really hard to have a content creation team. You can only make so much. But if you can get people excited and have them create their own stuff, which they have financial incentives to actually creating that sense of that sort of interlocking incentives work together to create something amazing that works for gaming. It also works other places. You had a dirt example do the dirty example.
S2: Yeah, so so after I got him the space, which you know, early on, you were very helpful with teaching me like technology and protocols and all that stuff. And then I went and to conferences. I talked to lots of people, and for me, I had a revelation when I was talking to a guy who had a whisky company. And I'm like, Why? The same thing is like, why? Like, what is the possible advantage of sticking an NFT barcode on a casket? Why does that matter? Like, like, I'm so skeptical of this. And after talking to Guy for an hour, I walk away going, Holy shit, that actually matters. This guy is actually able to do a bunch of things that that actually really do matter because he figured the model out. And so I started to challenge myself of saying the why in regards to anything. And like the why is there a way that you know that we can leverage blockchain and these crypto concepts on different things? So I'm at a I'm at Christmas dinner with my brother in law who always says, Oh yeah, you do things with computers. Those aren't real. I build houses. That's real. Like, that's kind of a shtick of the 80s. Feel funny. And so I say to him, like, Hey, listen, give me any problem that you have. And there might be, you know, I'm gonna try to find a way to solve that problem in the future using using blockchain. And he goes, My problem is dirt. I say, OK, this is perfect. This is the forest away from from technology. You can possibly give me your problem of dirt. And he's like, I have dirt that I need to get rid of. It's going to cost me $30000 to go and dump it into, you know, landfill or appropriate EPA approved place if I can get a golf course to take it. I'm calling golf courses every day, trying to get some golf courses. Take it because occasionally they'll take dirt. But I am always stuck with this problem of having to get rid of dirt. And then, you know what, in a couple of months, I'm actually going to buy dirt from somebody. It's super annoying that I both need to sell dirt and I need to buy dirt. And there are a lot of people at the same problem, but like, that's a real problem, like dirt under your fingernails. How are you going to solve that with, you know, digital ones and zeros? And I go, OK, let's let's try this out. So how many contractors are there who deal with dirt, who want to either buy or sell dirt in the in the Bay Area right now? And he's like, There's 10000. I'm like, OK, would you spend $5000 to have a pass that allows you to dispose of or pick up dirt? He said, For sure, I'm going to spend thirty right now to dispose of a bunch of dirt. Why wouldn't I spend $5000? I said, OK, great. Let's convert those 10000 people, uh, into. I mean, this is this assuming we can do some you have connections and that there's some way for us to get this started. But let's assume that's the case. We go out and we tell all these guys, Hey, by the way, you buy a $5000 pass to drop off and pick up dirt. Uh, it makes sense for all of them. They're all going to buy into this pass. Right now, you have five million dollars to create a center and Stanford center that will pick up, store and then distribute dirt. You've got plenty of money to actually process this like that's way more money than you're going to need to actually process all the dirt and allow people to come in and take it. And now all of you have this right, you're the owner. You're also going to be an advocate. So we only get five thousand people start with every one of your people who, you know, is like, I'm dropping off the dirt and my dirt center and they go, Wait, your dirt center? Yeah, I own part of the dirt center that I can drop off and pick up whatever. I want that right? So it will spread right. It has the capacity to spread from person to person to go sell out. Right now you've sold out and again you limited supply. This, uh, so there is 10000 passes. A new contractor moves in the Bay Area and he goes, Wait a second, you mean that I can get rid of and pick up dirt whenever I want. This is fantastic. How do I get in on that? You can't all the passes were sold. OK, I really want it on that. I've got three major projects coming up. Who has a pass? I can buy some else over here. I'm retiring next year and I don't think I'm doing any more stellar dig out. So you know what I will sell. You might pass for 40 grant. I'm going to be nice to you because you're a nice guy. Guy buys a pastor 40 grand, so somebody over here bought a pass for 5000 brands to pick up and drop off dirt, right? A couple of days later, someone who showed up needs a pass. They sold their pass. They pocketed the 35 grand. Right. So they benefited by the marketing adoption of this center. The dirt centre gets a five percent cut to maintain their staff and their infrastructure. That $40000 transaction pays money back to the drawing center to keep it right. Right? Who owns the dirt center? All the people who bought these in a piece, right? He transferred his ownership of his piece of the drug center to this new guy, paying money to the senator to keep it running, pocketing a bunch of money himself. All of those initial people who created a strip center now that they've actually made a bunch of money off of this dresser because all of the things that they possessed, they can let us see. You know what? I'm selling kid to college. I don't care about dirt any more. And they can sell their thing, and it's worth the money because the value has been proven out. So this allows for upfront fundraising to create the dirt, so it allows for distributed ownership, the center, all those people are involved. It allows for those people to become advocates of the center, allows them to share in the benefits and the rewards, right. In a way, this is like UGC for business, right? A guy created his own custom use case that, you know, is some investment company going to come and say, or some start company, I want to sell dirt. They're not going to do that right? But but we took the financial possibilities and we made them granular enough and flexible enough that they could apply to contractors and the infrastructure is easy to do that. I don't have to go through as many different legal proceedings to even transfer ownership. Again, all of this has made a lot easier when you're doing it on blockchain. And so the ease of simplicity, if we harken back to one of the really early examples of World of Warcraft versus Axie Infinity Warcraft, you can make more money in. But it's illegal. It's hard. Actually, infinity is it's legal and it's easy to change to making it easier does actually alter the adoption. So the fact that the blockchain ownership is shared much more easily and much more transferred does help enable. This does help make it possible. And that's a solution for dirt, which is, you know, like, is that going to happen tomorrow? Probably not. Is that going to happen three years from now? There's a good chance.
S1: Yeah, and there's a million problems that are just like problem. Right?
S2: Exactly. Yeah. One of the things that the podcast you referenced earlier mentioned was regulation and how it's very hard for the government to regulate things and keep on top of all of the various entities that are out there. It's a lot easier for users to self-regulate, and Uber and Yelp and Rotten Tomatoes are an early example of this. That isn't the full, fully able form, but they allow for peer to peer reviewing. If you're a bad driver, you get put out of business rankings. People give you bad reviews. If they get you big in your Uber, it smells and you're mean you can put out of business. They have decentralized. That relationship to different sides are both validating one another. Yeah, that kind of model is the model that we need to regulate all the things in the future. And that kind of model is made much easier through blockchain, right? Uber is still an example of that type of regulation, but it's still owned by Uber. But that model can be further improved by being blockchain, and then it can be applied to nearly everything. And so we'll have way less transactions that are better, not peer to peer regulated. We're going to get way more punitive regulation. That's again, the reason why Alleghenies does something to disrupt the community. Well, they're being regulated by their community. Their community has a voice, their concerns, boat and a lot of games and companies that are in the space are allowing for that kind of regulation. So the sandbox goes and has people vote on things before they're going to do a thing that changes the way their currency is deployed, structured, they go and they hold a vote and people who hold an ownership vote. And so they're decentralizing that regulation implicitly inside of their model.
S1: Interesting, so that's a very web Web3 sort of thing with ownership and voting, yeah, inside of an ecosystem. Awesome. Well, this is a this is fantastic. I think hopefully we've stitched together how this is a pretty big idea. I like I like your five tenants. I think they're really useful and I do agree with you. I think we could talk about this in the context of gaming, but it really is much bigger than that. It's just gaming is leading it.
S2: Yeah, yeah. And gaming is a will because gaming is bigger than all other forms of entertainment. It's going to lead the way and then everyone else will just follow suit.
S1: Now, consider what needs most people need a community, most people need to make money, and most people need marketing. But these are things that are just better done in this model, so yep, like we were saying, these are incentive models, not really technologies. They're kind of the same.
S2: But yeah, the tech, the technology has only been a small step forward. Like, that's the thing is, when people were first talking about, Hey, let's have decentralized trust for your trust, OK? Technologically, it doesn't matter at all. But actually, psychologically, it matters when you create that persistence. And so this this is not a like it's not technically that different to stick a NFT barcode on a whiskey cake and was like, What am I like? Listen, this is not technically that different. You're just changing the way ownership exists. Well, when you when you do a bunch of these small, subtle changes and you involve people in the ownership and you make things easier and you make things easier to vote and you make them persistent and you start to do all these little tweaks, suddenly it actually has powerful psychological.
S1: They're feeding off each other. They're having to each other. Yeah, right? And here's what I think a lot of people don't realize, just like NFT or whatever, there's lots of rug pulls like crypto could fill. Bitcoin could fill. Ethereum could fail. Even blockchain could fail. But these ideas that you've talked about, which are enabled by those technologies, they will resurface.
S2: Yeah. These ideas are not going.
S1: Yeah. Even if this stuff actually, you know, crashed, it would rise from the ashes in a different form. Maybe it would be a different blockchain. Or maybe it would not even be a blockchain, but it would have the same features.
S2: Yeah, right, exactly. I mean, there also might be an evolution on the speed at which technology and ideas are evolving. It is possible this thing doesn't get to its full maturity before it gets replaced by something even superior inspired by it. Yeah, that's possible. I actually think that's almost the most likely thing to happen. Is this the speed of innovation at will so quick that if someone were born and innovate, a couple of things that again are going to help multiply these advantages?
S1: Yeah, but I think certain certain components are so fundamental that you can't go too much further. I mean, ultimately, you have you have companies, you have people, you have marketing, you have the raising of money and you have profit and you have ownership. You the certain things are are kind of static. The question is like, how good is the technology at magnifying those things?
S2: You know, I have what my colleagues recently calling me like, Hey, listen, you know that if you give people a piece of candy before you try to sell them something, they are four times more likely to buy from. That's that's the same idea, what you just change a little bit of the psychology of involvement in some way. It just changes things materially, so those things won't be different. Those are human drivers that, you know, we're going to change our nature overnight. And it's all about, you know, finding the right ways to leverage that that can help grow the most correct kind of business, like I actually think that these businesses are better models for the future. We're not going to be, you know, people who dislike Facebook being the man we yeah, it's actually going to be really hard in this model for there be a Facebook in the future. Yeah. The Sandbox and Cal games are not going to that. They're very different. They're giving out most of the value of the users. It's mostly UGC. They're super committee directed. It's decentralized. You can pick up and walk away. So when, when, when this next metaverse and this next level of all these products is built, it's not around these sort of giant corporations that have all the power.
S1: So, I mean, is that a way to summarize, I mean, this is a sentiment incentives that works more for the user than for the big corp.
S2: Yeah. That's a really good way to describe it. This, actually, because this is all these are all benefits for users. And a lot of people don't realize that there was a magic influencer who was, you know, playing magic recently went on a big grant of like, Hey, I want to oh, my magic cards for my digital game. Like, why can't I hold my magic but not own a piece? Because the stigma out of NAFTA made him not want to be an MP. But what he wanted was he wanted the old school world of only ration cards. Yes. Once magic gets off their ass and allows you to honor magic cards, they basically will be doing crypto gaming and it is a superior model. That is what made magic huge to begin with, because that model was more present in physical, tangible things. Digital is an easier way to reach more people. But once you combine those two models, it's going to be way more effective. So the second magic and another company come out and show how much better it is. Everyone can follow suit. People are going to own their own magic cards and the guy over here saying, why, why? Why are you try to steal my money by selling NFT? No, no. We're trying to give back to you, right? We're gonna make it so you can own this thing. I want to go live in a regular world. I want to play in a game where I can earn money, right? I want to. I want to have the things that I'm doing. Relate back to my own financial prosperity. Like, that's better.
S1: Yeah. And the companies don't get screwed either, because they can get all these residual fees when when things are being transferred around, if they don't remember. Exactly. So the users get most of it, but they still get rich, like in a peripheral way. Accidentally, they get rich.
S2: Yeah, I've had someone say to me like, Well, it's all about how much money there is. There's only so much money like so that's not really true. When you when you think about we go back to the first change from the pay to play to free to play right. OK, free to play games, make more money. In theory, some of them do other them make less money. We have moved the money to be in a more appropriate place. Right. So the money where it is being changed and that that is being realized. So there's the same amount of money. But now the things that are good rise. The top free to play allows more for the things that are good to rise to the top. This does that even more so. So that new good things can come out and in a blink of an eye, they'll be all over the place.
S1: Yeah, I mean, that's that's one way to think about this is it's a giant engine for content creation. Yeah. I mean. It's only one of your items, but I feel like a lot of things are feeding into that because the content creates the communities around it, which creates the money which creates the hype which creates the Melvins and the more and more content you have. It's just the whole ecosystem gets super rich. People are excited. They want to play different universes. And to your point, that's not zero sum money that is more and more money around more and more content. So the better you incentivize the content, the more money there is.
S2: Yeah, if we talk about, like, really far future and in my case, I'm talking about super, far future, let's say, five years, right? I don't know that we're going to see the same kind of thing like a tick tock or a YouTube or Facebook come and take over full segments that and these companies being sort of like owned and backed by major corporate powers. Instead, what's going to happen is The Hunger Games not right? The Hunger Games board was a better version of a type of battle inside of Minecraft. That kind of thing is more innovative. And so we're going to have more things that come from just random communities because the past is to being successful in bigger way, more so now we're we're allowing that spark of innovation, the idea that innovation is kind of like you need the right level of opportunities and the right combination of ideas and then something something.
S1: It's an evolution play
S2: and evolution play. Now we're we're multiplying the speed of evolution. And so but it's not a small world where we're talking about we're doubling the speed of evolution we're talking about. We're going 100 x the speed of evolution. And that speed evolution means that some big person who comes by and said, Hey, by the way, I want to make a tick. I want to recreate YouTube. I want to I want compete with Facebook for, you know, social media platform like that. Large lumbering play isn't going to be the point at which it's going to be three guys who got together, who were drunk while playing some music, and they figured out a thing that was kind of funny. That was more interesting. They deployed it. They suddenly got a bunch of money on it. It suddenly works way better. Nobody loves this thing. Now, this thing is a new super hot thing, and it came from nowhere.
S1: All right. Well, this is a this has been fantastic, let's continue doing these conversations, maybe the other one's going to be shorter, but I really enjoyed having you and talk to you again soon. Hey, my pleasure.