S1: To zero day exploits and supply chain attacks keep you up at night. Worry no more. You can harden your security with threatlocker. Imagine taking a proactive deny by default approach to cybersecurity, blocking every action, process and user unless specifically authorized by your team. Threatlocker helps you do this and provides a full audit of every action allowed or blocked for risk management and compliance and onboarding and operation is fully supported by their US based support team. Stop the exploitation of trusted applications within your organization to keep you running efficiently and secure. Protected from ransomware. Worldwide, companies like JetBlue trust Threatlocker to secure their data and keep their business operations flying high. To learn more about how Threatlocker can mitigate unknown threats and ensure compliance for your organization, visit threatlocker Kommerell. That's Threatlocker Kommerell. Welcome to Unsupervised Learning, a security, AI, and meaning focused podcast that looks at how best to thrive as humans in a post AI world. It combines original ideas, analysis, and mental models to bring not just the news, but why it matters and how to respond. All right, welcome to unsupervised learning. This is Daniel Miessler. All right. A few notes to start off. All better from being sick. It was actually quite minor. Definitely the most minor time I've been sick in recent history. Would not even have known that I was sick if it wasn't for testing. So yeah. Good, good that that's over. We migrated fabric to go. So this is really major massive shout out to Jonathan Dunn who helped massively with this. And project still looks largely the same. But it's all go now. And if you check this out look at the installation. Now this is just insane. Watch this. You just run this, that's all. You run okay? That's how you install it and it just installs and it just works. So no more Python, no more Python dependency. Hell, you just run this and you run setup and it works. Now you might have to add some environmental variables or your go install might do it for you. It depends how you install go, but check this out. If you're going to migrate, you just do pip x uninstall fabric and that will get rid of the Python version. And then you want to check your bash RC and your zshrc and basically clean those out. If you have any aliases or anything like that in there. And then you do this which is the same one as above, and you do the setup. And again you could do the environmental variables. But watch this. Let's say you haven't messed with it in a while, which would be blasphemy. But let's say you haven't messed with it in a while and you come back, you went on vacation. Whatever, you come back three weeks later and you want to install this thing and you want to get the latest version, how do you upgrade? You just run the go install again. That's all you do. You just run the go install again and you're completely updated and upgraded. And yeah, we kind of kind of simplified up the the Readme here. It should be pretty clean. And yeah, just really, really happy with this. And it is so much faster. Yeah, it is so much faster now. Yeah. I don't know what um, I could show you here. All right. Yeah. That's basically, uh, getting some aphorisms. So I think I might have used one of these. Yeah, I used one of these for the newsletter this week. Oh, actually. And I'm recording the newsletter right now. Of course. So we'll actually see this. This is the command that I used to actually come up with some ideas for aphorisms. So I just echo Red Queen concept from Ridley's book. So I knew I wanted aphorisms around that. And um, look at this. I get back some really, really cool different aphorisms that I could potentially Potential use and depending on the model, I was using one model and it only gave me. Matt Ridley quotes. So that was pretty cool. So really depends on the model that you use. But. I basically use fabric all the time and the go version is just unbelievably good. So that's that. Um, highly recommend you check out this conversation between Peter Thiel and Joe Rogan. Um, Joe's. An interesting character. He he had Katt Williams on, and I watched as much as I could of. That episode. And it was just like these crazy conspiracy theories. And Katt Williams was quite serious, and Joe was kind of pretending to be serious. But you also don't know with Joe, like, what he believes and what he doesn't believe sometimes when he's going off on those things. But then you see him with someone like Peter Thiel and he's way more balanced. He's like, he's not coming up with a bunch of crazy stuff. He's just having a normal conversation with someone he knows is smart. And here's what's crazy. I actually thought his his description of the future of humanity was better than Peter Thiel's. Now, maybe just me and Joe are wrong, but Thiel seemed unwilling to sort of go in the direction that the Joe was taking it, which happens to be the exact same direction that I always take it in, which is like, this is inevitable. We have to merge with them. Basically, it's like AI is going to get better and better, and either we're going to merge with it or we're going to be completely replaced and it would be better to merge. And that just becomes the new us. And that was Joe's perspective on it. And it's always been my perspective on it. And I thought that was really interesting. So basically you see this kind of elevated really smart Joe on here. And then you kind of see the opposite when he's talking to someone else. He kind of just basically adapts to whoever he's talking to. If he's talking to some fighter, he'll just talk about fights and he'll just vibe out on that. If he's talking to some hunter, he'll talk about hunting like he just blends in with whoever he kind of is empathic with whoever he's talking to. And you might want to say, well, that's just a gimmick and he's just trash and blah, blah, blah. He did start podcasting, basically. He did make podcasting a thing by doing the thing that he's doing. So if you don't like his politics or whatever, you still have to objectively recognize that he is good at doing what he does. And I believe it's because of this empathy thing. So anyway, recommend checking it out. Most of the cool thoughts were coming from teal one because he's super smart and two because he was the guest. So that's Joe's job is to extract that out of the guest. But I'm I'm still trying to solve Peter Thiel because I have always thought he was kind of like this right wing, uh, crazy person. Uh, I really, really was mad at him because he was supporting Trump back in what, 2020 or 2016? I can't remember. And I was like, yeah, this is I just don't like this person because he's supporting Trump and how could you possibly do that? So I was very triggered by that. He has since been like, yeah, that was a horrible mistake. Like he's way more chaotic than I thought he was going to be. And I think he's supporting Trump again. But in a very sort of distant kind of way, almost kind of like Elon seems to be doing for the purposes of same with Andreessen and same with Horowitz for the purpose of saying, I think the other one is worse. You're not getting like strong endorsements from any of these. I would call centre right people. You're not getting strong endorsements of like, oh yeah, Trump is great, right? And I don't mean to be talking about politics here, but I'm actually not talking about politics. I'm talking about what it means to be an intellectual and have opinions that are counter to Orthodoxy. Right. So essentially what I'm saying here is I'm trying to figure teal out And the thing that I'm realizing about teal is, and what I'm really liking about teal is he and sort of dislike in some ways, it's like he's not really committing to anything. He's not. I don't see him saying, I think we should do this, which I would really appreciate. Um, it's something that I try to do. I try to do the objective thing, but then come up with a direction to move in. I feel like that's what you have to do if you want to try to lead or to motivate or inspire. But I feel like what teal does is just he's just got this giant table full of hats, and he's just always putting these different hats on. He's like, well, let's let's steel man that let's beat that up. Let's steel man that, let's beat that up. So he's just like constantly looking at pros and cons of different ways of thinking. And I think he has some general tendencies right. He's obviously generally libertarian but he'll just straight up tell you where he's not libertarian. And so what I like about him is he's not fitting into any sort of right wing bolt. Right. A lot of right people, right wing people probably think he is. But if you actually listen to him, he's not. He's actually going down his own path from first principles. From all this reading, if you watch his conversation with Tyler Cowen. Oh my God, I mean, it's like the Joe Rogan one times 1000 because they are just riffing on all this history and all this different stuff that they're talking about, and they're just jumping from one topic to another. And so he's using all that knowledge to walk his own path using first principles. And sometimes that takes him like center right. Sometimes that takes him center left. I imagine sometimes he goes more extreme left and more extreme right. But I don't think he honestly cares about left and right. I think what he cares about is first principles and and studying and learning and trying to just constantly improve his models so that he can have all these different hats. Because ultimately, I think he's an investor, and I think ultimately his whole game is trying to figure out how to predict the future to some degree, some limited degree. Oh, that's the other thing. He's extremely humble. He's extremely cautious. They'll be like, hey, what do you think of this? What's the future going to be? He's like, yeah, nobody knows. It's a dumb question. So it's like the opposite of the right. Okay. You get a typical right wing pundit. So let me give you a perfect example. Peter Thiel is the absolute opposite from Tucker Carlson. Tucker Carlson is extremely sure about things and extremely wrong. And Peter Thiel is extremely unsure about things and tends to be very right. And he's very cautious and he's just constantly consuming and learning. And it's just yeah, so I'm still trying to lock in on Peter Thiel. I'm still trying to look for skeletons or look for biases, but I feel like he's a pretty good model of how to learn about the world, as far as I can tell. So far, I've got like a 75% read. I would love to see if anyone has a different read, or has knowledge that can sort of shape my model of him based on this, and I bought one of those mini libraries to put up in my neighborhood. I don't know if you've ever seen these. I've seen them all over, definitely in Palo Alto. So if you drive through one of these neighborhoods in Palo Alto, like kind of near Stanford, um, not Atherton, but one of the nicer neighborhoods in Palo Alto, you'll see, like these little it looks like a birdhouse, kind of. But it's like on the curb, like right against the street. And it says like mini library or community library or whatever on it. And it's just like this little birdhouse thing, except for when you open it up. It's like 1 or 2 shelves of books. And the idea is you take a book, you just walk away. You just walk away with it. Maybe you never bring it back, but the idea is community karma. So yes, you do bring it back. Or maybe you bring back an extra book. So it's just like this. It's a combination of community with books. Love it. Obviously. All right. So my work got this new piece on the four components of what's going to make models. When I models win and it's basically I'll go into it here. It's basically the model itself, post-training internal tooling and then agents. And I'm actually going to add some extra stuff here. But these are the four. And then the summary is just the four of those. So we should start thinking about top models as model ecosystems instead of just models. Because it's not just the neural net weights doing the work. There are four main components. And the company that wins the AI model wars will need to excel at all four of these. Not just spending lots of money to have the neural net with the most parameters. So that's that piece. Next one here is the link between free will and LLM denial. That one's a bit deep and esoteric. And if you don't like free will it won't interest you. So I'm going to skip that one. Okay. Security. Microsoft just released a bunch of patches, uh, 90 security flaws, including ten zero days, six of which being actively exploited. I think the biggest one. If I'm not incorrect about this is Wasn't there a really nasty IPv6 one? Just pull this up real quick. IPv6 Microsoft repeatedly sent IPv6 packets include specially crafted packets to windows machine enable remote code execution. Yeah, so pretty nasty. And I think it's before the firewall. So somebody was saying it might have been Marcus Hutchins saying this, who he got to meet in person for the first time after talking to him for a number of years just online, but got to meet him at this crater meetup that we do in Vegas. Probably got Covid there. Lots of people probably gave me Covid there. Lots of people probably got Covid there. Anyway. Got to meet him in person there in Vegas. That was cool. But I think he might have been saying somewhere that basically the IPv6 packets come in and don't even make it to the firewall. It just goes straight through and gets parsed and produces the ability to create RC. So that's great. Uh Russian cyber spies from the FSB. Cold War. Trail. Cold war's trail. Cold wastrel. Who knows how to say that? Been running a massive phishing campaign dubbed River of fish, targeting U.S. and European entities since 2022, going after high risk individuals, NGOs, media outlets, government people. And the Pentagon is talking about their plan to flood the Taiwan Strait with thousands of drones in the event of a Chinese invasion. So this guy, Admiral Sam Samuel Paparo, described the strategy as creating an unmanned hellscape to delay Chinese forces. Why are we talking about this? Unless this is part of the strategy to make them think we're doing this, and then they try to adjust for that. But that's not actually what we're doing. Like, are we playing games here? Like what exactly. Why are we talking about this? Evidently, it's not meant to be useful as a surprise because it's no longer a surprise. Whatever. That'd be cool if it was like, yeah, we're not really going to do that. We're just going to make them do a bunch of anti-drone stuff. And actually our strategy is going to be completely different. Whatever. We'd like to know more. Someone published a timeline of his research on offensive AI agents, three distinct types of AI offensive systems. SolarWinds patched a critical Deserialization vulnerability 9.8 on the Richter scale. Iranian banks have been hit by a massive cyber attack, probably tied to Israel. I'm just guessing Trump shared a fake image. Oh man, I didn't put the link. I just got an email about this. Didn't put the link. Oh man. Whatever fake image of Harris speaking at a Communist event. All right, let me let me find this thing. Trump share. Yeah, look at that. Look at that. I mean, does anyone think she would actually go to an event like that? Well, first of all, yeah, this this is what I said actually in the piece. Right. Um, one lots of people will believe it's real. And two, current tech can already make more believable ones than this. So this isn't the actual problem. The actual problem is when it gets much worse. Oh, here's the other one that they were sharing. Watch this one. Trump. Share. Taylor Swift should be enough, right? No links. Yeah. Look at this. Look at this. So we've been talking about for years. I went looking for this post where I first started talking about this. I couldn't find it. So. Beehive, fix your search, please. Uh, couldn't find it with Google either, so. Kind of annoying. Anyway, I wrote about basically deep fakes becoming an issue because we're not going to be able to believe things. It's so obvious now. It's not even a good post, but it was very early. This was like two years ago. Um, I was talking about this. Um, but anyway, everyone knows now, uh, and here is the actual. It's just now starting to matter. Okay, look at this picture. The top right one that looks like an actual, like event. This person's got his phone. He's got his foot sticking out That looks super real. Super real Swifties for Trump. Now you don't be funny is if that was if that was actually real like some. Okay the bottom left definitely not real. Okay. They're probably none of these are probably real. Just to be very clear about, you know, disinformation or whatever. But, um, the point is you can make these. Oh, yeah. This bottom right one also looks super real. The bottom left one does not because that Swifties for Trump looks like two clear like the white of the text just looks a little bit too artificial. But this one Swifties for Trump. It's got shadow on it. The T is hidden because it's on the other side of her body, so that one looks real. It's actually the same person as this. Honestly, these two look really, really good that that would trick basically anybody, including me right now. So the point is, these are getting so good that you can't tell the difference between reality and doesn't really matter for this. Right now. This one maybe kind of does. The question is what happens when it's a thing that really matters? Like did a crime actually occur? Um, who is the assailant? Evidence of something bad happening. Where where we're going to use pictures or video as part of the evidence for that crime. That's when it starts to really, really matter. And also for politics as well. Um, the worst possible one is, is like the absolute worst one is where you have, um, a video of Trump saying, you know, it looks like we're going to have to attack Russia, pre-emptive nuclear strike. And it's very believable. And it freaks somebody out and that person freaks out Putin and something goes off or something similar to that. Maybe it's not a nuclear war, but something where there's an actual threat being made and it causes the other person to respond. So it's a trigger point for kinetic action that that's pretty serious and we have the tech now to be able to do that. Not everyone could do it, but it's getting pretty close, and it's much easier to do with images than it is for video. But the point is, this is getting very, very real. No longer theoretical Iranian hacking group Abt 42 has targeted both Trump and Biden campaigns, according to Google's Tag group. They look like they work for Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps, which is like their elite group. And it looks like they targeted both campaigns. But only Trump's campaign had sensitive files leaked. Kind of interesting. I mean, maybe there was nothing there on the Democratic side. Maybe, I don't know, why are they why are they anti-Trump? Um, oh, maybe. Maybe because Trump is about to massively support Israel and massively crush Iran. That would be a good explanation. Trump corroborated this by pointing the finger at Iran for hacking his campaign, praising the FBI's investigation into the breach. This is one thing that I like decently about Trump when he does it, and it's only because the bar is so low. But if he gets on a phone call with the FBI and the FBI is like, yes sir, no sir, blah, blah, blah, you know, we did this or we did that. If he just got done railing against the FBI for like the last six months and he has that call, he'll go and talk to the press and be like, yeah, I just had a great call with the FBI. Very professional, very cool. It's like the thing that happened most recently is like his view of reality, but at least he's willing to, like, be positive if a positive thing happened. I mean, I can't believe I'm saying that as a positive thing, since that's called normal. China linked cyber spies have infected dozens of Russian government and IT sector computers with backdoors and trojans since late July, according to Kaspersky. So, China v Russia scammers are targeting young Chinese job seekers in a tough economy. AI and tech grok chatbot now lets users create images from text prompts and publish them to X, leading to chaotic results like Barack Obama doing cocaine and Donald Trump in a Nazi uniform. Yeah, the one that I saw. Yeah, I wrote this right here. Um, the one I saw was Trump basically had his arm around Ellen, and Ellen was pregnant. And Ellen posted that and he was like, live by the sword, die by the sword. Yeah. Uh, okay. Got someone who's on a mission to make you love reading again. So he's using AI tools like ChatGPT to recommend books, understand deeper themes, and novels like Hermann Hesse's Siddhartha, and create actionable strategies from business books like Alex Hormozi $100 million Offers. I've already got that built into fabric. Um, I've got one called create $100 million offer. You give it any product, concept or idea and it'll build you a hormozi offer based on it. Comedians are increasingly using AI to help write jokes and brainstorm ideas with mixed results. I think this is as big or bigger, not bigger as big, maybe as the Turing test in terms of the importance of AI progress. Because if I can write a full comedy set and make humans laugh, that is massively huge. Even better if it can be deepfaked performed right. So it's actually AI writing it and AI performing it, and all the human did was tell an agent to write a comedy set around a topic. Okay, that is this. This is an unbelievable metric, okay, a milestone metric. So basically, here's the test. Can I give an agent or any model? Let's say, for example, I hand this to I write a comedy sketch skit or set around, um, good coffee versus bad coffee or how baristas don't care about you or how customer services people don't care about you. Do write a 20 minute set just about this topic. Okay. So now I want to see on a screen either a stand up view or a face view. Yeah. A stand up view would be better. Actually, I want to see a stage. I want to see a microphone. I want to see a person standing there talking. And I want to see them moving. I want to see them moving their hands. I want to see them gesturing. A full, complete deepfake of the content that they wrote. And this has to be funny. Okay. And it doesn't even have to be, like, the funniest thing. It doesn't have to be Dave Chappelle. It has to be decently funny. Like good enough to get gigs on a comedy tour. And if you've been on a comedy, tours like The Bar is not super high for the average comic that I don't know what I skeptics are going to say to that. And I would say I'm going to I'm going to call it right now. We are in the middle of 2024. I'm going to call that as 2025, 2026 at the latest. Full deepfake integration 2026 at the latest. So both 2026, both in 2026. That's two years from now, a year and a half from now, we will have the ability to have a Deepfaked comic, right? A funny set and perform it in a way that if a regular person who enjoys comedy watches it, they'll be like, yeah, that's pretty funny. That's decently funny. Now, could they get their own Netflix Netflix special based on that content? That would be like the top, top tier. But keep in mind how few comics actually have Netflix specials. So yeah. Interesting. What did I say? 27. No, I said 26. Yeah. All right. I'm holding myself to that. San Francisco is looking to ban software that critics claim is being used to artificially inflate rates, so it allegedly helps landlords coordinate rent increases. You might be over using vim visual mode. I've been worried about this for quite some time, actually. Oh yeah, instead of doing GG takes you to the top V which switched to visual mode, and then capital G, which goes to the bottom of the file. Instead you do GG quote plus y Why capital? That's a lot of characters, man. Anyway, I'm going to try to learn how to do this and do it more with normal commands instead of visual. All right humans. We're going to have driver's licenses in the Apple Wallet before too long, and you'll be able to go through LAX and SFO. China's manufacturers are facing a financial crisis, with many going bankrupt due to a combination of weak demand, rising costs and increased competition. Scientists at Fermilab have detected the first neutrinos using a prototype detector. Deep Underground Neutrino Experiment. Dune. You got to land. You got to land. The acronym. They landed it. Venture capitalists aren't looking for nice founders. They want risk takers. Nate Silver highlights that 70% of the billionaires on the 2023 Forbes 400 list are self-made, 70% self-made, modest backgrounds. So I saw Scott Galloway talking to Nate Silver about this. I really love this idea of basically Nate Silver was talking about this thing I've been talking about for a while, which is they want crazy religious people who are just like, yep, I have no life whatsoever. I will sleep under my desk. That is what people are looking for. They're looking for a crazy vision. And when I say people, I'm talking about VCs and also startup founders who are hiring people. And I would argue this is the future of all work. The future of all work is you only hire these people. You only hire the most talented and the most crazy dedicated because to hire a worker who just does normal work, they show up 9 to 5 and they do average level work. That's called AI except for it doesn't go home, it doesn't commute, it doesn't draw a salary, and you can upgrade it instantly. Okay, so 9 to 5 workers who just do average work that gets replaced. The only people I think that people are going to want going forward. And this is an exaggeration. There's still going to be a need for some some of the other type. But I would say in general, the motion towards is towards this dedicated zealot crazy person which happens to be young, happens to be male, usually um, and just obsessed with tech, obsessed with building things, obsessed with like. And you got all sorts of hangups around this. You got God complexes, you got narcissism, you got like, just ambition. Just all sorts of crazy testosterone powered things going on there. And the upside is taking risk. They're like, oh yeah, just I'll take all my money and put it into this idea and sleep under my desk for four years. And you don't see many older people doing that. You don't see many women doing that. There are some, uh, a decent amount, right? If you look at the entire world, but in general, it starts to look like one particular demographic. And silver is basically saying, yeah, that's what gets it done. That's what VCs are looking for and not people who are cautious. And I find that really interesting. This negativity, this risk acceptance. It feels very Atlas Shrugged to me, which is kind of awesome and kind of gross for different reasons, but I think that's one of the premises of Atlas Shrugged is that the risk takers are the ones who get the benefits, like the awesome people are the ones who are actually building. And I feel like Silicon Valley is based around this entire concept, is that those people who sleep under the desk, they are the special people, and of course, very few of them actually succeed, you know, especially the first time. But anyway, really cool concept coming out of Nate Silver. And by the way, he's the one who did FiveThirtyEight, although he does not run it anymore, someone else is running it and they're actually competing using Nate Silver's brand of FiveThirtyEight. So do not tie yourself to a brand and then sell it, because everyone will think you still have it. Growing trend of Gen Z men becoming NEETs not in employment, education or training. 1 in 5 young men under 25 unemployed and not actively looking for work, 1 in 5 unemployed and not looking for work. What the f is going on? Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast. I've always loved this. I'm ex-military myself. I've heard this a million times. It's not just Navy Seals. Lots of military talk about this, but cool idea. No one wants kids anymore. And it's not you. Cool video talks about declining birth rates, touching on economic pressures, changing societal values, and personal choices. Imposter syndrome often stems from systemic biases, not just self-doubt, and highlights that many women experience this due to real exclusionary practices, which is 100% true. Guy got fired and replaced by AI at cosmos magazine, and the management didn't tell anyone. They're using generative AI to write articles, possibly trained on their own authors work, and basically firing all the humans who could have possibly predicted this. I give my kids a summer like mine. In the 1980s, this parent decided to give her ten and five year old daughters a taste of a 1980s summer holiday where the bedroom where boredom was common and self entertainment was key. 1980. Summer holiday. This is when I grew up. I grew up in the 80s where boredom was common and self entertainment was key. Boredom. You know how awesome it is. I'm thinking about this right now to be a kid outside on a weekend. You had some sort of breakfast which your parents cooked for you. You are now out playing. That's what it's called. You're out playing. I don't know what age this is. Let's call it 12 or something like that, or 14. You then get together with your buddies and obviously I'm a boy, so I'm going to have a boy perspective. But you would get together with your guy friends all the same age and you're just like, what are we going to do? I don't know, I don't know, what are you going to do? And you're just like, maybe we should go over here. No. That's stupid. We just did that. Uh, maybe we should go over here. Hey, you want to, like, see if we can lift up these manhole covers and, like, roll them around? Yeah, that sounds cool. So you go over, you try to stick your finger in the hole. You try to like, wedge some sort of piece of metal in there and yank it up. Turns out the metal was sharp and you just gouged your hand open. You're bleeding all over the place, so someone, like, rips the sleeve off of their shirt and wraps it around your hand, and then you just keep doing it, and then you just, like, roll this thing. Then you realize, well, someone walks by here and falls in that hole like you're super screwed. You know you're going to hurt yourself. Maybe one of your friends actually do it. Maybe you decide to climb down there because that's stupid also, but also kind of fun. Do you know how many hundreds of these moments that I've had that Gen X people have had that are just magical? I was talking to my girl about this as well. She loves this. The same exact thing. She would get on her bike and go riding all over the frickin town, riding all over. Just go visit her friends and hang out. And she'd have her bike with a banana seat and just like, take it everywhere. And then she would start getting hungry. The sun would start going down. And if she didn't get home once that happened, that was an ass whoopin and just everyone understood that you are free, 1,000% free until the street lights come on. Then you got to get home. Then there's dinner there for you. You have dinner and it's just magical. There is no boredom now. Kids do not get bored because TikTok or Facebook or Instagram or whatever it is. Texting is so compelling and arguably more compelling than manhole covers, and that's a problem. This is what I think a big problem is. I don't know why I'm fucking rambling about this shit, and I'm supposed to be supposed to be delivering this podcast. I'm just going to do whatever, um, when stimuli is too high, the dopamine level is too high, and anything that drops the dopamine level down, let's say that currently in 2024, things are so awesome in terms of stimuli and inputs. The dopamine levels are like an 85, let's say in the 1980s. As an average kid, they used to be like a 35, okay. And now they're an 85 because of like all this tech. Okay, better games, better game consoles, better screens, better audio experiences, more video games. Okay, more access to porn. All the social media, TikTok. I mean, it's not even 85. It's like 285. And it used to be a 35. Okay, now try to take somebody like that and put him outside there like, are you kidding me? It's dirty out here. You want me to ride my bike? You want me to, like, what am I supposed to do out here? Nothing compares. Nothing in that world compares to TikTok. TikTok is crack. It's crack cocaine. And that's dangerous. Now what everyone seems to know and the experts seem to know. And I think you can learn this just by doing it, is you can actually reset your dopamine level very quickly. So what this person, I think did this parents decided to give her ten and five year old daughters a taste of the 1980s summer holiday where boredom was common and self entertainment was key. So what that means is you have to take the things away and throw them together and just be like, figure out something to do and they'll be like, oh, well, let's take this blanket and put it at an angle. And now we have a fort, right? And pretty soon you're making forts because you were bored. And that enjoyment of coming up with something from boredom and getting your dopamine level from a five to a 25 feels amazing. And it involves more creativity, more innovation. I think it's just healthier. It's just healthier. It's more natural, it's more healthy. And I don't think there's a problem with all the tech and hyper, you know, blasting with dopamine from a TikTok or whatever. But it's you got to regulate it. You got to regulate it and go back to this dopamine fasting and, you know, lower and slower anyway. All right. Few ideas I've had recently. The ultimate privilege, I think the ultimate privilege might be growing up in a stable household with two parents who give you a strong work ethic. It trips me out how simple this is and how the best advice is often like this. It's the exact same with diet, exercise, relationships, and a million other things. The best advice is concise, wise, and generally hard to do, but it is not a mystery. I think the US and the world should lock in on this one thing. Stable two parent households that imbue a strong work ethic and focus a lot of energy on getting to 100% on that metric. All right, next idea. The biggest market opening right now is for a product platform that validates the authenticity of content coming from a creator or publisher. Yeah, that's a tweet. I'm not going to do the whole thread. I used to think there was a big difference between somebody being weak and somebody being evil. I now treat them mostly the same because the outcomes they manifest are mostly the same. The only difference is that with a weak person, I could try to make them strong. Someone responded and said, don't you mean cowardice and not weakness? I'm kind of equivocating, those two. But I do see their point. I'm not talking about, like, little children. I'm talking about. I'm not talking about somebody who's supposed to be weak because they're disabled or they're super young. They're, you know, one and a half years old. Stop being weak. That's not the point. The point is somebody who is weak due to a flaw in character and who is causing damage to people around them and themselves as a result. And importantly, somebody, ideally, who could potentially fix themselves. That's what I'm talking about. All right. Discovery fabric plus raycast. So this guy Wil Chen did a YouTube video on how to integrate fabric into raycast. And guess what. I am now using raycast. Look at that activate trial. I need to do that. This is. Yeah, I switched back to spotlight because I like to use native tools rather than third party. I was on Alfred for years and years and years and years. Then I switched back to spotlight because there was some OS upgrade. I was like, oh, let's see how good spotlight is. I prefer to use the native tools anyway, unless there's a compelling reason to use a third party tool, which is why I'm on Safari instead of Chrome. Even though Chrome is way faster. I like the inbuilt stuff in Safari. Anyway, fabric integration into raycast. That is a big enough reason for me to switch back. So guess what? Now I'm about to become a raycast guru and look at this. I might integrate it more deeply by hosting a set of these scripts within fabric. So basically these are Python scripts that raycast reads and that's how raycast executes these things. So I'm thinking about putting a whole directory of these inside of fabric. So you could just point raycast to that directory and boom you're ready to go. And so the way he described this you know what. Frick it. Just open it. Watch this.
S2: Uh, okay. So, um.
S1: I don't know if you can hear that, but.
S2: So watch this. I, uh, look at this, like going back. Going back through these, uh, to these various patterns and fabric. Um, like if you're if you're like if you have some text in your selection, like if you, if you have something you want to select or you want to quick Paul Graham essay, I can just go ahead and just type in extract wisdom. Right. And let's say I can grab this one.
S1: So he copied.
S2: Or I can I can grab the whole thing. Grabs the whole wisdom right. Extract wisdom. And then just type.
S1: X and then paste it and.
S2: It will run. And look at.
S1: This. Here comes fabric.
S2: That fabric prompt I use it to run it with Claude Sonnet 3.5. And it's insane.
S1: So yeah, I'm about to rig everything up in that way. Eric Schmidt of Google did a crazy, honest interview at Stanford, and it was so spicy that Stanford took it down. But guess what? I got the link to the video, and I pulled out the transcript and I made a fabric summary of it. So there you go. Ideal founding team Ben Horowitz lays out the perfect founding team in the clearest way I've ever seen. It's just it's really good. Scrape it now. New CLI tool for web scraping grok two. This is the one that just does all sorts of crazy stuff. Prompt caching with Claude Flux AI by Black Forest Labs. This one getting a lot of talk. I haven't used it yet because I'm not doing a lot of AI image stuff. When I need an AI image, I usually use Midjourney. Still graphic info. New website lets you generate infographics to make your articles more engaging. Agile is for losers, a rant about the author's decade long frustrations with the agile methodology infiltrating digital agencies, and the recommendation of the week. Stop accepting it when your loved ones, especially the young people, are not AI literate. Here's the way I recommend you think about this. Imagine that the competition level for getting top jobs or mates or whatever was 100. In 2022, the average person was at like an 80. Okay. AI is augmentation technology. It adds 20 to 50 points to people who get good at it. So now the person with an 85 learns AI and they're like a 125. So the new standard is reset from 80 to 120. So if you were a 90 before or a 110, you are now behind. Don't let your people get left behind. I is the new reading. It's the new high school diploma. It's the new degree. Make sure your people, the people that you love, have it. And just to show you how real this thing is. Okay, this is the best. This is the absolute best. And to get you motivated, here is an 18. No an eight year old. Here's an eight year old doing live coding.
S3: Watch this thing every one. And today I'm well I'm. Yeah I'm going to show you how to code with cursor. I'm gonna go to terminal and I'm going to say new terminal and new terminal.
S1: Look at.
S3: This.
S1: She's she's running.
S3: Pom pom run npm.
S1: Run dev.
S3: There I have that. And then I go to be and look, I made it. Say hello. I want this to say. Say hey.
S1: Okay, so we're gonna.
S3: We're gonna.
S1: Jump ahead here.
S3: So, um, I wanted to say chat with Harry and and then recent cloudfare workers AI. And then it will do all of the stuff. So you can't do it if it's not finished, because then it just won't work. So now I'm gonna save it. So now I'm going to say hi. Wicked. Hi there. I'm Harry James Potter. Oh my goodness.
S1: She just built a chat bot to talk to Harry Potter. She's eight years.
S3: Old, right?
S1: Okay, I'm telling you, that is an eight year old who just built a chat bot to talk to Harry Potter. Okay. And you and I have a lot of loved ones who were like, oh, ChatGPT. Is that still a thing? How is that still a thing? I thought that blew out, like, a year ago. I thought it got really important when people start. Stopped talking about it, and now I don't care anymore. This is what you're competing with. Eight year olds, building chat bots to talk to Harry Potter. All right. And the aphorism of the week standing still in evolution is equivalent to moving backwards. Standing still in evolution is equivalent to moving backwards Matt Ridley. Unsupervised learning is produced and edited by Daniel Miessler on a Neumann U87 AI microphone using Hindenburg. Intro and outro music is by zombie with a Y. And to get the text and links from this episode, sign up for the newsletter version of the show at Daniel missler.com/newsletter. We'll see you next time.