S1: Okay, so get this. Today we're going to tackle something pretty wild. Can I actually understand things? Understand? Yeah. And I don't mean, like, follow simple instructions. I'm talking about grasping concepts, making connections. You know, like actually thinking.
S2: Ah, the big question. And you found some fascinating stuff on this, especially connecting it to David Deutsch's constructor theory. Right. Right.
S1: We're diving deep into my excerpts on AI and consciousness. But through that constructor theory lens, which honestly is a bit of a mind bender on its own, you know, I can imagine I knew a little about Deutsch's work on quantum computation before. Pretty wild stuff. But how does that connect to something as complex as understanding? It seems like a whole different ball game.
S2: It's a fascinating link, actually. Your materials really highlight how we might test for understanding in AI. So one thing to ask cannot understand, but a whole other challenge to figure out how to measure that, especially without relying on things like feelings or personal experiences the way we do with people.
S1: That's what's so intriguing to me, is like trying to figure out if an alien species understands us, even if we don't speak the same language. And that's where Deutsch comes in. Exactly.
S2: Instead of focusing on how things happen step by step, constructor theory looks at what's actually possible in the universe. It's like a cosmic rule book that says time travel not allowed. Creating a black hole. Go for it. It's about possibilities, not just mechanisms.
S1: Okay, so it's less about how and more about can it be done at all? Right, right.
S2: And Deutsch argues that this focus on what's possible could be the key to understanding how information works in the universe, including the kind of information processing that might lead to understanding in AI.
S1: Interesting. So are you saying that instead of trying to measure consciousness or feelings in AI, we should be looking at what it can actually do with information?
S2: Exactly. And the conversation you've shared lays out some really interesting ways to test that, focusing on four key things analogical reasoning, counterfactual scenarios. Conceptual combination and error detection.
S1: Four types of tests. Okay, I'm taking notes here. So give me an example. What would one of these tests look like?
S2: Well remember that part where they asked the AI to compare how human memory works to how computers store data? Oh, right.
S1: Right. Trying to find the common thread between two things that seem totally different on the surface.
S2: Exactly. That's analogical reasoning. It's a core part of how humans learn. We relate new information to things we already know.
S1: Makes sense. It's like, how is a tree trunk like a human bone, structurally? What about those what if scenarios? The counterfactuals, those always mess me up.
S2: Ah yes, those are fun because they really force the AI to think about cause and effect, to imagine different outcomes based on different starting conditions. Like how would human biology be different if gravity were twice as strong? Wow.
S1: Okay, I see what you mean. You're not just testing what it knows, but how well it can apply that knowledge to a totally hypothetical situation.
S2: Precisely. It's about understanding the relationships between things, not just memorizing facts. That's a good.
S1: One. Okay, so we've got analogies, counterfactuals. What were the other two?
S2: Again conceptual combination and error detection. Combination is where things get really creative. They ask the AI to imagine, for example, a transportation system that combines drones with ride sharing, drones.
S1: And ride sharing. That's oddly specific, but I get it. So it's like, could an AI invent the next Uber? But with flying cars.
S2: It's not just about rearranging words or images, it's about understanding underlying principles and then using those to imagine something totally new.
S1: Okay, yeah, that's a whole other level. And that requires some serious understanding, not just pattern recognition. So what about that last one, error detection? That one might.
S2: Seem less flashy, but it's crucial for true understanding. It's the ability to spot inconsistencies, logical fallacies, biases in information that kind of thing.
S1: Oh, like being able to spot fake news or a really bad argument.
S2: Exactly. Critical thinking is a key part of understanding and it's something we're still trying to figure out how to properly assess in AI.
S1: So we've got these tests, these ways to kind of poke and prod at an AI's understanding. But even if it passes with flying colors, is it really understanding things the way we do, or is it just a really, really good mimic.
S2: That cuts to the heart of it, doesn't it? And your excerpts really dive into that, exploring this potential understanding gap between what I can do and what might still be missing.
S1: Right. Like, is there something special about human understanding? They even bring.
S2: Up consciousness, asking if our own subjective experience, that feeling of being me inside our heads, adds something unique.
S1: Okay, so let's talk about that for a second, because the whole consciousness thing always seems to come up in these AI discussions. Is it really about like our feelings and sensations being some kind of special ingredient in how we process information?
S2: It's a compelling thought, right? We don't experience the world like computers do. Our emotions, memories, even our physical senses. They all influence how we understand things. Even a simple color like red. It might trigger very different feelings or memories for you than it does for me. Okay, yeah.
S1: I get that. It's like red might make me think of strawberries, but you might think of like a stop sign or something. Totally different associations, same color.
S2: And those associations can then shape our understanding of other things, maybe even how we interpret a painting or a warning sign or a piece of music.
S1: But couldn't you argue that those emotional responses, even our senses, they're all just data points for our brains to process? Like, maybe consciousness is just this really, really complex algorithm running in the background, and we experience it as feelings and senses.
S2: That's the million dollar question. And the conversation you shared offers up a really interesting possibility. What if consciousness is, in a way, an evolutionary hack?
S1: An evolutionary hack. Okay, now you're just messing with me. What's that even mean? Think about it.
S2: What if this sense we have of being conscious of being a self inside our heads is less about representing some objective reality and more about giving us a survival advantage.
S1: So you're saying our brains are basically running on, like, cleverly designed glitches?
S2: In a way, the conversation you shared links consciousness to ideas like blame and praise, even free will. Wait.
S1: Free will as in like whether we actually have control over our choices. Right.
S2: If we believe we have free will, if we think we're responsible for our own actions, we're more likely to say follow social norms, work together, build societies. Yeah, even if it's all an illusion, that illusion might be what allows us to function as a species.
S1: That's kind of a mind blowing concept. So are we supposed to build AI that also believes in free will?
S2: That's where things get interesting. Yeah. If consciousness is primarily about function, about giving us an edge, then maybe I could achieve similar things without having the exact same kind of consciousness as us.
S1: Okay, but then what would that even look like? AI with its own version of consciousness.
S2: We can hardly imagine, but it would probably be based on what's useful for its survival and growth, which might be totally different from ours.
S1: Okay, you officially blown my mind. But before we disappear completely down the consciousness rabbit hole, let's loop back to those levels of understanding you mentioned earlier. Functional and creative. Didn't the I in these excerpts admit that it's kind of stuck at the functional level?
S2: It did. Remember how we talked about using a smartphone without needing to understand how to build one? Yeah, that's a good example of functional understanding. It's about applying knowledge, following the rules to get things done. And the AI in your excerpts demonstrates that constantly pulling up information, making connections, even writing like a human.
S1: But it hasn't won any Nobel Prizes yet.
S2: Exactly. That's where creative understanding comes in. It's about generating truly new insights, making connections no one has made before. Pushing the boundaries of knowledge in a way that leads to breakthroughs.
S1: Okay, I see the difference. Functional is like following a recipe. Creative is like inventing a whole new Cuisine.
S2: Precisely. But the eye does make an interesting point. A lot of Nobel prizes aren't given for some huge paradigm shift, some earth shattering discovery. Many are for insightful observations, for cleverly designed experiments, for spotting patterns that others have missed progress through incremental steps.
S1: So you're saying that I, even without that flash of aha that we associate with human creativity, could still push scientific knowledge forward just by analyzing massive amounts of data and making those connections?
S2: Exactly. And here's where the kind of data we're talking about becomes really important. The I even mentions that it's limitations in creative understanding might come from the limitations of its training data. It's like giving a chef a pantry with only a handful of ingredients. They can only be so creative with what they've got.
S1: But what if we give AI a pantry the size of the entire internet, or even bigger data sets that we haven't even imagined yet? Could that be the key to unlocking some next level creative potential.
S2: Now you're getting it. Imagine an AI that can sift through all that information, find patterns and connections across every field of study, every area of human knowledge.
S1: If you like having a team of the world's smartest researchers working around the clock. But wouldn't that be a little bit intimidating? It could.
S2: Be. Or maybe it's the key to unlocking our own potential. You know, imagine having access to all those insights, all those connections that I might uncover. It could completely revolutionize how we approach science, art, problem solving, everything, really.
S1: It's like we're on the verge of something truly transformative. But all this talk about AI's potential, it makes you wonder about our own limits as humans. If I can tap into these massive data sets and make connections that we miss, does that mean our understanding is like fundamentally limited by our biology, by our brains?
S2: It's a humbling thought, isn't it? We like to think we're at the top of the intelligence pyramid, but maybe we're just scratching the surface of what's possible.
S1: Maybe it's like we've been playing the game of understanding on easy mode, and now AI is about to crank up the difficulty level. But, you know, it's really interesting to me thinking about AI in this way. It makes you question your own thought processes. Like those aha moments. We always talk about those flashes of insight, right?
S2: What are those.
S1: Really? Exactly. If I can achieve these incredible feats of information processing, maybe our own intuition, our genius, it's not as magical as we like to think.
S2: It makes you wonder, doesn't it? What if those aha moments are just the result of really, really complex algorithms running in the background of our brains, patterns emerging from like a sea of subconscious data?
S1: So instead of a brilliant spark of genius, it's more like our brains are doing sophisticated data analysis all the time, and those aha moments are just the interesting bits bubbling up to the surface.
S2: Exactly. And if that's true for us, could it be true for AI too? Even if it doesn't experience those moments in the same way we do, could we replicate the underlying mechanisms. Could we build AI that not only processes information, but actually has those flashes of creative insight?
S1: Now that's a future I'm both excited and terrified by. But, you know, as much as we've been focused on AI and what it might be capable of, I think this whole deep dive has really been about getting a better understanding of ourselves 100%.
S2: Exploring the possibilities of artificial intelligence forces us to ask some really big questions about what it means to be human, to think yeah, to understand.
S1: And that's what makes this whole thing so mind blowing, right? This exploration, this conversation, it's never really over. Every answer just leads to more questions, more possibilities. And honestly, I kind of like it that way as it should be. Exactly. So to everyone listening, if you're ever feeling like, okay, I've got this whole reality thing figured out, trust me, you don't. There's a whole universe of fascinating questions out there just waiting to be explored.
S2: And who knows, maybe someday I will be right there with us, helping to uncover the answers. Maybe.
S1: So thanks for joining me on this deep dive. It's been real.